Glorious 6 Minute Trailer For Cloud Atlas Adaptation Arrives

6 Minute Trailer For Cloud Atlas

Cloud Atlas is one of my favorite books ever, and I was initially very wary of this adaptation (you can read all about my reservations HERE), but this doesn't look half sucky. In fact, it looks pretty damn great. I still wish they had cast someone other thank Tom Hanks and Halle Berry, but they don't stink up the joint. The trailer feels a tad melodramatic, but it's also visually stunning. It does a great job of conveying the scope of the book, and balances the multiple storylines nicely.

You can check out the extended trailer, plus a 2 1/2 minute commentary from the trio of directors, via Apple. What do you guys think? Anyone else love the book as much as I do? Has this trailer given you hope that Tom Tykwer and The Wachowskis have pulled this off?

Author: David Mitchell
Price: $9.99
Publisher: Random House Trade Paperbacks (2004)
Binding: Paperback, 528 pages
Jacey Cockrobin

News by Joshua Chaplinsky

Joshua Chaplinsky is the Managing Editor of LitReactor.com. He has also written for the popular film site Screen Anarchy and for ChuckPalahniuk.net, the official website of 'Fight Club' author Chuck Palahniuk. He is the author of 'Kanye West—Reanimator.' His short fiction has appeared in Zetetic, Motherboard, Vol. 1 Brooklyn, Thuglit, Dark Moon Digest, Pantheon Magazine, and multiple print anthologies. More info at joshuachaplinsky.com.

Comments

Ivo Van Der Avert's picture
Ivo Van Der Avert July 26, 2012 - 12:50pm

The man's name is Tykwer.

Dennis's picture
Admin
Dennis from Los Angeles is reading Necroscope by Brian Lumley July 26, 2012 - 1:03pm

I can't stop watching this trailer. Stunning. Guess I need to read the book now.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life July 26, 2012 - 1:09pm

Your name is Tykwer.

Cath Murphy's picture
Cath Murphy from UK is reading Find out on the Unpr!ntable podcast July 26, 2012 - 1:51pm

NOT Tom Hanks! Oh please. Not that.

It's not as if Cloud Atlas didn't take itself seriously enough without having Hanks in the film version taking himself so seriously you'd think his regular expression was a severe and serious frown.

I could just about bear Cloud Atlas if I read it as comedy. But with Hanks in it, the film is going to be all moralizing about man's inhumanity to man, plus he'll probably get marooned on some desert island and have to live off coconuts and grow a beard.

Halle Berry must have needed the money. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

Limbless K9's picture
Limbless K9 from Oregon is reading Wraeththu July 26, 2012 - 4:21pm

Tom Hanks is awesome, in my opinion, and you can never go wrong with the Wachowski brothers. The Matrix still fills me with fear, intense fear.

DWoods's picture
DWoods from Melbourne is reading Rabbit Redux July 27, 2012 - 1:48am

It looks really, really ambitious, so it could be incredibly complex and brilliant, but most likely it'll be a total mess.

jl85's picture
jl85 from originally East Tennessee now Southern California is reading everything I can July 27, 2012 - 11:10pm

Trailer looks really good. Not going to pretend I've read the book, because I haven't it. But it looks like the Matrix brothers will make a good movie. And really? Who complains about Tom Hanks? He's a great actor. I don't know how you couldn't like an actor like Tom Hanks, who always does a really good job in every movie he's in. But to each his own I guess.