Finalists for the 2012 PEN/Faulkner Award Announced
The five finalists for the 2012 PEN/Faulkner Award have been announced, and here they are:
- Russell Banks for Lost Memory of Skin
- Don DeLillo for The Angel Esmeralda: Nine Stories
- Anita Desai for The Artist of Disappearance
- Steven Millhauser for We Others: New and Selected Stories
- Julie Otsuka for The Buddha in the Attic
The PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction is a very prestigious, fancy-pants award that recognizes outstanding works of fiction by American writers each year. Three judges choose five books from a pool of 300, which makes it the largest peer-juried award in the country. This year's judges were Marita Golden, Maureen Howard, and Steve Yarbrough.
The winner will be announced March 26. The author taking the top spot will get $15,000, while the other finalists will get $5,000 each. Plus bragging rights, since this is a pretty big deal.
You know the drill, folks: Head to the comments section and discuss the relative merits of these books versus the larger landscape of American literature this past year.
To leave a comment