Do You Have What It Takes To Write For LitReactor?! — UPDATED x 2

20 comments
Do You  Have What It Takes To Write For LitReactor?!

UPDATE: Geez, you're an excitable bunch. We're moving the deadline up because we've been flooded with applications. So you have until this Friday, June 14, at 12 PM EST. We won't accept any more application after that. Good luck!

UPDATE 2: We are closed. Thanks to everyone who applied—we're still reading through submissions (we got a ton), and if we're interested, you'll hear from us by the end of this week (so, June 21).

Do you have what it takes to be a LitReactor columnist?

Think hard before you answer. Our recruitment process is vigorous, and includes a drinking test, feats of strength, and a six-day survival challenge, in which you'll be abandoned in the Australian outback with a dull knife and a can of Diet Coke.

Well, okay, that's not really true. But, we are looking for new columnists! New voices who are interested in exploring the world of books and literature and writing. We've been at this for more than a year now, so you must have a pretty good idea of who we are and what we do—we want you to help us make it better. To write stuff that appeals to our audience and open us up to new readers.

Best of all, it's a paying gig.

Here are the requirements:

• You must be awesome. The non-awesome need not apply. And you need to tell us why you're awesome, in 300 words or less (no kidding—we're going to count them). If there's a genre that's in your wheelhouse, consider it a specialty. These 300 words will be your mission statement—make them count. We don't care where you went to school. We don't need to see a full resume. This isn't an investment firm.
  • You need writing samples. We're less interested in seeing what you've written on your personal blog, Tumblr, or Facebook, and more interested in seeing what you've written for other sites/magazines. Include links to your best pieces. Up to five (5).
  • You need to have good ideas. Include two (2) column pitches. We're looking for new, interesting, exciting stuff. What does that mean? You tell us. We want people with attitude, personality, and a voice. Check out a list of some of our features here. Don't be afraid of new ideas. (And if you pitch us things we've already covered at length, we're going to hold it against you.)
  • No email attachments. None. Nada. Zip. For real.

E-mail all of this stuff to submissions@litreactor.com. We'll be accepting applications through next Friday (June 21). Get crackin'. Got questions? Ask 'em in the comments.

Comments

eirikodin's picture
eirikodin from Auburn, NY is reading Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler June 11, 2013 - 2:52pm

I could write ridiculous maritime columns from the wheelhouse of the ship I'm on, holy shit.

SammyB's picture
SammyB from Las Vegas is reading currently too many to list June 11, 2013 - 3:52pm

Writing for this site would be a dream job, but I have no professional experience in column writing. Good luck to those who apply. I can't wait to read articles from new voices and view points.

James McArthur's picture
James McArthur from Potato is reading a book June 11, 2013 - 6:49pm

Well I've applied. There goes nothing.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 11, 2013 - 7:21pm

Maybe in a year or two. I know how to edit, but I don't have the professional writing experience to contribute as a columnist.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like June 11, 2013 - 7:51pm

I would but for being unawesome.

Michael Wais Jr's picture
Michael Wais Jr from San Diego, CA is reading "The Iliad" June 11, 2013 - 10:37pm

This is right up my alley. I'll send some of my information as soon as possible.

I really hope to write for LitReactor. This site has an awesome sense of humor and I identify a lot with LitReactor's passion for literature.

Hope you've all been having a great night.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 12, 2013 - 6:16am

You know, I mulled it over, and I don't give myself enough credit, as usual. I do have writing experience, even columning experience, but just not in the same venues as most of the other writers on the site. Maybe that'll be a good thing.

And frankly, it'd be insane for me not to apply, even if all I sent in was a note that said, "DO WANT!" I've been wanting to work for this site in some capacity ever since I joined, and would love to write for you guys.

So expect my application soon.

AnnieNeugebauer's picture
AnnieNeugebauer from Texas is reading Suspended in Dusk II June 12, 2013 - 10:51am

How often will this new columnist be posting? Once a week? Every other month? (I'm interested but wondering about time commitment.) Thank you!

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this June 12, 2013 - 11:08am

Annie--each month we ask for column pitches. You could give us five pitches. We could accept 1, or 5, or zero. Depends on the strength of the pitch, and if we think the piece has legs.

AnnieNeugebauer's picture
AnnieNeugebauer from Texas is reading Suspended in Dusk II June 12, 2013 - 11:10am

Got it. Thanks for the quick response!

Michael Wais Jr's picture
Michael Wais Jr from San Diego, CA is reading "The Iliad" June 12, 2013 - 4:17pm

I've just sent my application. I really hope to join your team!

By the way, here's my LinkedIn profile, in case you all might find it helpful:

Johann Thorsson's picture
Johann Thorsson from Reykjavik, Iceland is reading Echo Lake June 12, 2013 - 5:00pm

How much, exactly, are you paying?

Not that writing for LitReactor isn't awesome all by itself (I, for one, love you guys) I just want to know since, you know, you advertise the gig as paying.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this June 12, 2013 - 5:29pm

You're welcome to apply, and if we're interested, terms of payment will be part of the discussion.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 12, 2013 - 7:53pm

I just sent the hell out of that application. Thanks for the opportunity.

Do I get to meet Kathy Bates if I get hired?

James McArthur's picture
James McArthur from Potato is reading a book June 12, 2013 - 8:13pm

Would you want to meet Kathy Bates? I'm pretty sure we'd all qualify as dirty birdies.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this June 13, 2013 - 7:03am

It's a Kathy Bates impersonator, and she only calls you on the phone. And she doesn't speak English. Admittedly, not a very good perk...

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 13, 2013 - 7:19am

Good enough for me. I'm easy to please.

drea's picture
drea from Rural Alberta, Canada is reading between the lines June 13, 2013 - 8:27am

I'm your target audience and I want to have my trou wow'ed off.

bohemianonrye's picture
bohemianonrye from Pittsburgh, PA is reading Love in the Time of Global Warming June 13, 2013 - 9:45am

I just applied! Fingers crossed!

C Patrick Neagle's picture
C Patrick Neagle from Portland, Oregon is reading words, words, words June 13, 2013 - 7:51pm

@Nathan: Good call. If we wait around until we're actually good enough to 'deserve' whatever job we want, whatever life we want, then we'll likely never have said job, said life. We sabotage ourselves with doubt. Although the desire to wait until we have made ourselves worthy of a particular gig, or person, or magazine (to re-write ad infinitum but never actually submit a piece for publication) is perhaps admirable, it's far better to think of it the other way around: is the 'whatever' worthy of us?