Bret Easton Ellis Wants To Write Adaptation For 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Movie

Bret Easton Ellis Wants To Write 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Movie

via Bret Easton Ellis' Twitter feed

A few weeks back I made a pledge: No more writing about Fifty Shades of Grey. I'm tired of hearing about it. Then this happened, and I had to break my vow: Bret Easton Ellis is making a push to write the movie adaptation (the rights were won by Universal Pictures and Focus Features). Ellis has been tweeting about it, and insists that he has his agent on the case.

He also wants David Cronenberg to direct. And he wants Alexander Skarsgård for the role of Christian and Lena Dunham for the role of Anastasia. He has some other ideas about casting, which you can read here

So. There's no chance this is going to happen. The studios will deem Ellis too extreme and balk, and the chances of lining up Cronenberg, I mean, c'mon.

But. If the stars were to align and this were to happen? I would see this movie. I don't think I would have a choice. How could you not see this movie?

Comments

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week June 12, 2012 - 5:22am

You couldn't. Not an option.

I'd see about anything with Cronenberg at the helm, and the rest is icing.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life June 12, 2012 - 5:23am

I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Juice Ica's picture
Juice Ica from Rhode Island is reading The Twelve by Justin Cronin & Beautiful Creatures June 12, 2012 - 5:26am

I have no interest in these books but even I would jump at the chance to see this!

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like June 12, 2012 - 5:33am

A whole movie about bdsm is uninteresting no matter who's involved. Cronenberg, cool. Ellis, don't care. Sex toys, good for a gag, not for an hour and a half.

taralara's picture
taralara from Minneapolis is reading We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo June 12, 2012 - 5:35am

His Twitter is a big ole mess.

That being said, I might consider seeing it.

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore June 12, 2012 - 6:07am

Dude's the most hyperbolic tweeter I've ever seen, so most of them just get a cry-wolf shrug from me. It's always, "THE most important film of the decade is _____" or "THE most perfect slice of pop-music perfection is ______" (changing weekly, of course, per his tastemaking consumption) and suddenly I'm hearing Pat Bateman quoting from Zagat listings and Playboy album reviews all over again.

This has nothing to do with his 50SoG adaptation, just had to say it.

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer June 12, 2012 - 7:23am

Yeah, I really think he is just messing with people.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig June 12, 2012 - 8:13am

This is making me laugh, and quietly hope, deep inside, that he is serious and he can force it to happen.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. June 12, 2012 - 8:53am

A whole movie about bdsm is uninteresting no matter who's involved.

What?  Blasphemy.  What about The Secretary?

I've heard that this book has some possibly dangerous depictions of BDSM.  If that's true, I wonder what would be done to fix this in the movie adaption?

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like June 12, 2012 - 9:53am

What about The Secretary?

I forgot about Secretary. I saw it without any idea what it was about. Not great, but it was a kinda funny. I don't need to ever see it again, though.

cshultz81's picture
cshultz81 from Oklahoma is reading Best Horror of the Year Volume 8 June 12, 2012 - 10:16am

Quality of writing notwithstanding, these books have placed BDSM and non-traditional sex into the greater public's consciousness, more so than Secretary. If this isn't a joke (and it's likely a joke) Cronenberg / Ellis could bring some literary clout to the material, though it wouldn't do much to further the mass discussion of the topic, since both men are fairly underground figures, all things considered. Moreover, they have a reputation for the grotesque, which might turn people off.

Six of one, half a dozen of another I guess: Trashy novel about a 'risqué' subject equals mass appeal, which generates larger acceptance of marginalized lifestyles; trashy novel becomes artful film written / directed by masters of their craft, but no one outside the fringes actually sees it.

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore June 12, 2012 - 10:38am

BDSM is so Empire, but adapting Twlight fan-fic into a feature film is Post-Empire.

Jane Wiseman's picture
Jane Wiseman from Danville Virginia is reading The Iron Council, by China Mieville June 12, 2012 - 10:38am

I love The Secretary! But really--I think Ellis is a fine writer. Why would he want to associate himself with the worst writing of this or any other decade? Gag me.

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer June 12, 2012 - 11:08am

I really can't see how anyone can think this is more than a joke. I guess I could be wrong, but it seems pretty obvious the guy likes to stir the pot.

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week June 12, 2012 - 11:25am

^Ditto, JCJ.

God, but I wish it were real. David Cronenberg+BDSM!

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life June 12, 2012 - 11:57am

Cronenberg already made a movie about kinky sex, it's called Crash. This seems quite tame in comparison.

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week June 12, 2012 - 12:06pm

He also made A Dangerous Method, and let's not forget the stomach vagina in Videodrome; this [Fifty Shades of Grey], honestly, seems kind of up his alley topic-wise. It's this particular treatment of the subject matter [BDSM] that's beneath him.

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne June 12, 2012 - 1:46pm

Maybe if this were to be a combo of the titular textual buttsplooge and American Psycho. That might get me. So like, start with boring (boring) sex that's supposed to be kinky, then lead that into Christian chasing Anastasia down a hallway with a chainsaw.

511Kinderheim's picture
511Kinderheim from Calgary, Alberta is reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman June 12, 2012 - 2:10pm

^THIS.

If the story isn't already a twisted joke, Ellis' adaptation totally would be. Which only leaves me wondering, why the hell didn't he offer to write the screenplay for Twilight? I would have enjoyed that.