Amazon Announces its Best Books of 2013
The closer we get to the end of the year, the more ‘best of the year’ lists appear. Everyone seems to have one and Amazon’s no exception, as they’ve just published their list of the Best Books of 2013. Well, so far. It also includes some interesting choices, as you can see from their top ten:
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- Thank You for Your Service by David Finkel
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
- Pilgrim's Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier by Tom Kizzia
- Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East by Scott Anderson
- Tenth of December by George Saunders
- The Son by Philipp Meyer
- House in the Sky: A Memoir by Amanda Lindhout
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
A few of the choices have made it from their mid-year list. While I’m not a fan of Donna Tartt, it’s good to see Kate Atkinson on there (you may remember her excellent book Started Early, Took My Dog, which you should read, if you haven’t already).
The list also includes a selection of the best Digital Singles, which is a new thing. Oh, and Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep tops up the Science Fiction and Fantasy list, closely followed by The Ocean at the End of the Lane, by Neil Gaiman.
The cynic in me says that it’s just Amazon capitalizing on the Christmas season (particularly when you see the “Our Favorite Gifts For…” section. But, it’s only the beginning and I’m sure there will be more of these before 2014 comes in. Do you agree with the choices? Something missing that should be there?
To leave a comment