Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons October 10, 2012 - 8:56pm

Agree with Wickedvoodoo. Hopefully everyone will be challenged and do the competition. I can't wait.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts October 10, 2012 - 9:54pm

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 10, 2012 - 10:54pm

Oh. I guess I was just so damn excited to be the first to sign up I skimmed a bit. But I do swear that the actual numbers on the list were 32... oh, yeah, okay, so I didn't finish reading your post before I started my rebuttal, JR. And there I go again.

So I skim! This is how I read 3 or more books a week. Leave me alone.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 10, 2012 - 11:31pm

La Emme Nikita. Nice fucking name.

Well, alls I goddah say is where do we go to get our laurels corrupted? Ren? Huh?

Booked and Boozed? Thrown in thah slammah?

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 11, 2012 - 12:17am

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 5:45am

It'll fill up just fine.  8 slots left for primary contestants, then some alternates.  Plenty of time.  No worries.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 11, 2012 - 5:49am

Exactly.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 5:53am

And, just for the doubters:  if we wind up with 58 contestants instead of 64, that means nothing except that 6 contestants get a "bye" the first round.  Not optimal, but also not a problem.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 5:53am

Yes, I'm on the list!

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 5:54am

Of course you're on the list!  Love the avatar.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 11, 2012 - 5:56am

No one even knows about this yet.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 5:58am

@Chester:  Knows about what?

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 6:05am

I thank Dave for the picture.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 6:19am

I am sponsering someone's membership so they can compete, but can't figure out who to talk to, to make that happen. Any thoughts?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 6:20am

Yeah.  Talk to Sean of the Dead. He's spearheading that at the moment.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 6:22am

Cool, I looked for Kirk, but damned if I could find him. YOU WILL ALL FAIL!

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 6:23am

Also, good to see Pandrew back, it's like all the old crew showed up to DESTROY THE NOOBS

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 6:26am

Look out.  Some of those noobs were smash hits in Scare Us.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 6:27am

I just felt like writing in CAPS

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 6:29am

I shall drink their brain juice.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 6:36am

Just watch you don't become a pretty marsupial-bear rug in front of their fireplace.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 6:41am

I must maintain my panda body, but yes you are right. I'm wary of everyone. Never underestimate anyone.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 11, 2012 - 6:56am

I am a noob, I think. How about a first round ol fogies vs. noobs?

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin October 11, 2012 - 6:56am

Went and got myself a war-vatar.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 11, 2012 - 6:57am

That's pretty bad ass, nick.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 6:59am

Nick, that takes me back.  I love it.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 11, 2012 - 7:01am

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 7:04am

I have Sound on my friends list, meaning I knew him/her once under a different name. Who are/were you?

@averydoll

You're still laying the smackdown on Matt. This is great.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 11, 2012 - 7:03am

So, noobs vs. ol timers anyone?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 11, 2012 - 7:06am

@sound - no.  I'd rather keep it random.  Everyone gets their shot one way or the other.  And I don't want to pit teams really.  No animosity in a war, come on.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce October 11, 2012 - 7:08am

I'm a noob and I honestly don't mind who I'm pitted against. This may sound a bit, um, "parent lecturing their child about the spirit of competition", but no matter who we're pitted against, we're really only going to try and do our best, right? And our best is exactly what we want from this.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 7:10am

What Mess_Jess said.

Matt started a negative chain now.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 11, 2012 - 7:11am

FYI - Jess doesn't care because she's badass and will likely destroy whomever she is up against.

Be more like Jess.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 7:12am

If that means I have to gender swap then so be it.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 7:14am

@Matt Attack - "DESTROY THE NOOBS"  Oh, you mean the people who actually are active on the site?  Interesting..."

You're still laying the smackdown on Matt. This is great."

Sorry, I didn't respond fast enough, had a "fun committee" meeting at work. Not really that much fun. Also, all she does is lay the smackdown.

And yes, I have been absent, good point. Also, for any noobs, I was only talking shit and inappropriately using caps, you may do so as well. I suggest finding someone on the site and picking a word nerd fight with them. Any questions? Please forward them to Averydoll, aka, SheDevil.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 7:15am

Matt started a negative chain now."

I wonder why. Hmmm, deep thoughts. LOL

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 7:16am

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 7:19am

@Pandrew- I like it. I have to go poop now.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human October 11, 2012 - 7:23am

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 7:26am

Better.

.'s picture
. October 11, 2012 - 8:19am

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest October 11, 2012 - 8:23am

All kinds of people coming out of the woodwork...

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 11, 2012 - 8:23am

Everyone loves a good fight.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest October 11, 2012 - 8:32am

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 11, 2012 - 8:36am

Utah, Dave, Matt, and Pandrew are the same person

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 11, 2012 - 8:40am

@Rian, no WAR for you?

Anyone have the bracket from last WAR? I'm curious to see who beat out who.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest October 11, 2012 - 8:43am

I'm an alternate. I'm trying to focus the majority of my time working on the novel. I may be helping out behind the scenes as well.

Well, Bekanator won. It came down to her and J.Y. I had to drop out and J.Y. was my alternate. Nice guy. Gave me a mug.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 11, 2012 - 8:59am

I think Utah, Dave, Matt, and Pandrew are the same person. They disappear and reappear to wage WAR every year."

Seems reasonable.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 11, 2012 - 9:32am

@ Utah

That's something I hadn't considered about the whole double elimination thing.

Bye's in the first round won't be as hard hitting to the numbers - because that first round is just about setting up the two separate brackets, right?

I like that. Not trying to come over all naysay or anything, I thought the group ethos was awesome last time and I am sure we'll prevail again. Good to know we're well covered for these eventualities though!

@ Sound

here you go

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 11, 2012 - 9:33am

I'm curious to see who beat off who.

Man, we try to keep all that behind closed doors in WAR.  Don't want anybody thinking there's favoritism here.