Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel March 1, 2012 - 5:09pm

Good to know. I want to be placed up against who every body believes to be the front runner first. I either want to go in strong or get knocked out soon. No pussy footing around here. This is WAR!

That is if I can make that call. I think I can, I'm #1 on the list.

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson March 1, 2012 - 5:38pm

My strategy will be a nude photo to go along with the story. Feeling confident.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz March 1, 2012 - 10:06pm

My strategy will be to have Wordgasms all over the place.

-Kilgore Trout was here.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 March 1, 2012 - 10:08pm

I'm just going to upload blank documents and tell people it is whatever masterpiece they want.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 1, 2012 - 10:28pm

Hey, I wrote a story called Wordgasm.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 March 1, 2012 - 10:31pm

I wrote you into my memoir as my greatest orgasm.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 2, 2012 - 4:52am

David - so weird - my strategy is also naked pictures.  I just have to get my neighbor to agree to pose for me.  You'll like him, he's 90.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 5:16am

<---- is suddenly glad that bias issues prohibit him from judging the tournament.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 6:51am

I'm getting excited!  In about one week, ten hours, the first set of prompts will drop and WAR will begin.

We still need 5 or 6 tournament contestants.  I'd also like to have maybe 5 people on a list of Alternates for those times when someone backs out of the tournament for one reason or another.

We're almost there.  I'm going to devote some time this weekend to finding a good way to post the tournament bracket online so everybody can see it (If anybody knows a good hosting site please let me know.  It would beat my crayon drawing .pdfs).

Profunda Saint-Sylvain's picture
Profunda Saint-... from Calgary, AB is reading Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Series March 2, 2012 - 7:27am

You could just ask Dave to make the scores into memes every day.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz March 2, 2012 - 8:04am

@Danny: Wordgasm, Kilgore Trout.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 8:45am

voodoo_em has just joined us on the Battle Roster!  This brings our man:woman ratio (if I've counted correctly, somebody feel free to double-check) to 20:7.  How's that make you feel, ladies?  Have any friends you haven't gotten around to contacting about getting involved in the tournament?  Might be a good idea to start sending those emails!

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. March 2, 2012 - 8:47am

Utah persuaded me. It's war folks. Grease the guns.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 9:07am

Aaaaaaw, sheeeeeit!

And in honor of our two latest entrants:

Love the intro for this intro.  Just feels ominous.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff March 2, 2012 - 9:36am

I've seen worse sausage parties

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 2, 2012 - 9:39am

20:7?

I think the men should be worried.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies March 2, 2012 - 10:01am

is nikki in? if not we should invite her. also, i don't see bryan howie on the list. anybody else missing?

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson March 2, 2012 - 10:03am

Avery- I'm holding you to it, I want to see some liver spots!!!

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 10:41am

@Richard:  I'm not familiar with Nikki, but she's welcome.  If you link me to her I'll invite, or you can talk her into it and I'll add her.

Bryan Howie is currently in negotiations.

And there are some other people missing, like cowboywerewolf and razorsharp, et al., but I haven't seen them around lately.

.'s picture
. March 2, 2012 - 10:44am

I asked Brandon but he's busy with his book. I'm sure Nik is probably busy too.

Where's the lurkers at to fill the slots?

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 2, 2012 - 11:49am

I'm in! Be afraid... be very afraid!

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 2, 2012 - 12:10pm

^awesome^

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 12:11pm

Two more slots open on the Battle Roster, and the men:women ratio is beginning to swing toward the ladies!  We have 9 or 10 now, and that's way cool.  And to the ladies:

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 12:14pm

I feel as if I should say that I would have put a powerful femino-centric heavy metal song up there instead of Madonna, but I don't know any.  So ladies, how about you post your inspirational warfare songs instead of relying on my admittedly poor motivational selection.

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson March 2, 2012 - 12:17pm

this is my response to the women

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 1:33pm

Wow, how exciting, right? Anyhow, from what I understand, every other Friday starting March 9, 2012 I will be given one week to write a story based on a prompt. At least, until I get bumped off. Is that right?

Did I mention how exciting this is?

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel March 2, 2012 - 1:37pm

Only two spots left. Holy Cow. This is going to happen. I feel like I'm about to lose my virginity.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 1:48pm

@Nikki:  I'm glad you're excited, because I'm about to pee my pants.  Part of me can't wait for a week from now, and another part of me is glad it's a week from now because there's still quite a bit of work to do to get it organized.

Your understanding of the scheduling is correct.

@Diaz:  No joke, dude!  I saw that gap closing up earlier today and got really psyched.

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel March 2, 2012 - 1:57pm

I'm geared up and ready for WAR! Bring it bitches!

Bekanator's picture
Bekanator from Kamloops, British Columbia is reading Ugly Girls by Lindsay Hunter March 2, 2012 - 2:18pm

@Utah - Is this rockin' enough?  Peaches?  She assaults with her sexuality.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 2:22pm

@Beka:  Jesus Christ, that woman terrifies me!  Holy shit.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly March 2, 2012 - 2:24pm

<---Has a man crush on JD

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 2:26pm

@Diaz:  do you have Vaseline on your upper lip in that pic?

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 2:29pm
Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel March 2, 2012 - 2:30pm

Nope, we like to call that sweat.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 2, 2012 - 2:44pm

Jesus, I'm bringing Open Office to War. Joesph's bringin' a friggin' high powered weapon...

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies March 2, 2012 - 2:51pm

hey nikki, glad to see you over here. i was just saying how you needed to be in on this.

do we have any sort of official prizes or awards or schwag for this thing? has LR management said anything? or is this just for bragging rights? it would be kind of cool to have everybody send one cheap paperback that they loved to the winner (or finalists) or something. i don't know. heck, i don't know if i can even get past LK. all anybody talks about in the LA anthology is how great Nikki is, so, maybe i'm one and done.

but it'll be fun, whatever happens.

i can't wait to see the seeding.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 2:55pm

@Richard:  Right now we're fighting for bragging rights.  Management hasn't said anything except Kirk said he was excited to see it happening.

Now, as I think I've said earlier in the thread, I definitely encourage side bets, and if you guys think it would be good to do a deal where everybody sends the winner a paperback on your honor, that'd really be awesome.  But (Un)Officially, right now we have no tangible prize.

Except for not getting punched in the mouth.  If you win, you don't get punched in the mouth.  If you don't win, you also don't get punched in the mouth, but that doesn't sound as cool.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 3:01pm

@Richard ... geez, no pressure or anything. Well, everybody loves you Richard. I've got bonefide haters. ;-p

i'd be up for kicking in something for the finalists. i'd be happy to compile care packages for like the top 4.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 2, 2012 - 3:03pm

<----------------has a huge boner for JD's pic.

Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 2, 2012 - 3:11pm

@Nikki:  As far as it goes, I think I could go in for that as well.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 3:23pm

@utah. cool, i'm going to start compiling them now. nothing too obscene. however, when i was at the cult i did have another writer send me a care package containing a fleshlight, you know, one of those portable vaginas that looks like a flashlight. i still have it. it really means a lot to me. i tear up just thinking about it. anyhoo ...

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff March 2, 2012 - 3:53pm

Good job Bek and Nikki. More vulval war dance

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies March 2, 2012 - 4:41pm

lol...nikki, you'll do great, i hope i don't meet up with you early on. can i say see you in the finals or does that sound too pretentious? i'm cool if we don't give out anything, and i'm cool contributing some sort of book, be it crappy old paperback or something else.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 4:56pm

@richard- see you in the finals and people better bring the game because I'm putting together mad prize packages with cool music, toys, candy etc ... Already started getting a hold of people for this. Plus, I mean hey, who doesn't want to brag that they won a cool Nikki Swag Pack?

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 4:58pm

And geez can someone just make this official already? We don't want yo money Foos just an official stamp!

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 5:23pm

@utah is amanda gowin in on this she's an excellent writer and would be great in this mix.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 2, 2012 - 5:38pm

@utah Please put Amanda Gowin down for number 32. She is creating an acct as I type. She was part if the old cult with me and will bring more punch to this craziness that's about to ensue.

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 2, 2012 - 5:39pm

i'm in i'm in I'm IN!!

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 2, 2012 - 5:40pm

yeah that's me up there nikki's talking about. i'll play, just don't hit me in the face!