ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 7, 2013 - 9:07pm

Sarah Cannon, yes, that was the same story that was giving me problems, and I think self-inflicted ego-inflation was exactly the cause, as it also happens to be the top listed story on LR's front page for the majority of  the contest.

I find that, given how little time I have, I'm primarily choosing my reads from this forum. If people are invested enough in their work to take the initiative to advertise, I take that as a good sign.Even if the story's not particularly impressive, it shows that they care and are deserving of the feedback, more than someone who just slops it up there and forgets the community.

That said, Hiram Wakes and Gizmo are the next on my list.

The Gorund

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things March 7, 2013 - 10:07pm

I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to find some new stuff to read. I'm trying to commit to my randomly-generated picks. There's no way I can get to everyone, so that seems to be the fairest way of doing it. Though I may have one or two who commented on my story that I still need to look at.

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries March 8, 2013 - 1:40am

There aren't any stories that are dying for attention right now. :(

I don't know understand where the moping is coming from. Am I the only one who feels a sense of relief reading this on the Read & Rate front page? I think I'm going to continue working on stories with few reviews for a while, then move on to whatever catches my eye.

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 8, 2013 - 6:29am

Agree with Linda. Need a big fat smiley-smiley for this awesome feat of sci-fi-reading!

We are the greatest!

Oh, so Unit Six was the culprit. I seem to remember that guy saying he had rallied a bunch of friends and family to vote for him and I was jelaous that he could muster that level of support while my entire social network only managed a few reads. Now i must apologize to my entire facebook for calling them lazy.

@kirk, did you disappear the guys votes on other stories as well?

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 8, 2013 - 6:39am

I certainly paid attention to the "needs a read" list while it was populated - I may have been responsible for removing the penultimate one. But LitReactor should perhaps reset the criteria, as there are plenty of stories with only 3 or 4 reads, while some are galloping away with as many as ... well, a dozen? Mine has crept slowly up to 6, which is still less than half those I have voted and commented on. No idea where that ranks in the total order of things?

It's Xenophobe in case you want to help it along! It's fun - or meant to be, so if you've just read a truly desolute dystopia, come read mine for some light relief! :)

Anyone out there who has a 2000 word or less story, which fits the theme of "MAN & MACHINE" should consider sending their post-comments edited version (give yourself a fighting chance!) to Liars' League by the 7th April. They have the novel trick of getting actors to read out the selected stories, and even if you're not London based, they record and video the performance. Well worth checking it out!

Liam

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres March 8, 2013 - 7:54am

Kirk caught the perpetraters and gave em the boot.

Actually, your defender of the people did, but, ya know, who's counting?

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 8, 2013 - 7:59am

I'm Counting! Go Jessica, Go!!!

*Note to self: Must stop counting wrong*

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 8, 2013 - 9:56am

Tip o' the day: Take a look at Deepsleep. A sweet litle story with a nice sadness to it. Echoes of Wall-E. The last sentence is inspired.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt March 8, 2013 - 10:25am

Should probably plug my story at some point. Read my first attempt at Sci-Fi HERE, "Big Bang, Inc."

Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to read and vote. I've begun returning the favor...slowly, I admit.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works March 8, 2013 - 1:15pm

@ender I never promoted my story because it felt too much like I was patting my own back. I thought that either it'd catch on or it would not. I did put alot of work into it and i do care about the community as well.

That said I guess i'll start now: http://litreactor.com/events/teleport-us/imaginary-friends
"Imaginary Friends"
Adam's conscience is getting to him...his conscience being one part of a complex hive of androids controlled by an artificial intelligence called "The Queen."  Seeking answers to a secret in his past, he finds more than he expected.

Positive Feedback:
"It made me cry!"

"I like the opening, where Adam and Jacob are clearly delineated. You get a taste for the madness in Adam..."

"you've definitely nailed my dystopian nightmare. I can't think of anything more soul destroying than being constantly monitored and never having a minute alone to think by myself."
---------------------

P.s. SERVANTS OF THE LAST MAN IS PEOPLE!! PEOPLE!!
Gravidism is damn good too

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 8, 2013 - 1:33pm

P.s. SERVANTS OF THE LAST MAN IS PEOPLE!! PEOPLE!!
Gravidism is damn good too

Heh... Heston.

Anyone else feel like me that Charlton was a piss poor commander in Planet Of The Apes? Every other survivor in his crew are dilligently trying to make the best of the situation, but the commander, Heston, just goes around smoking cigars and braying that they're all doomed. And soon his crewmembers are indeed doomed and its only the useless commander that in the end survives and gets to ride away into the sunset with the mute beauty, all the way complaining.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works March 8, 2013 - 2:23pm

@klahol, he was yes. But i would follow him into hell, he was Moses!

Tom Elias's picture
Tom Elias from Maine is reading Everything I can afford or that is within arms' reach. March 8, 2013 - 9:26pm

I'd just like to update myself here and thank everyone who read my story, and also say that this has been an excellent experience because all of the feedback has been quite good.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next contest, sci fi or not.

-- Tom

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 9, 2013 - 6:32pm

If I were you, I'd add Higher Minds to your list of must reads.  Excellently crafted!

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 9, 2013 - 6:49pm

@Arlane: Added it to my list.

I don't have much planned for Tomorrow so I will get to many on my list including several of you plugging your stories in here. If I can't read them all I certainly want to read those who actively participate in the challenge. If you are looking for a good read here are several standouts with fewer than average votes. Or atleast average of the ones I've read, I think I've been reading alot of popular stories.

Gravadism

A Burning Girl

Causality Loop

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 9, 2013 - 7:11pm

@Johnathon Riley  I read A Burning Girl and Causality Loop but not Gravidism.  I've been working from oldest to the more recent stories so it might take me a while to get there, but I'll remember the recommendation!

It's amazing how many talented writers "showed up" for the challenge! ;)

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 10, 2013 - 4:33pm

Finally caught back up with my schedule from the couple of slow days I had this week Only 63 more stories to go!

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! March 11, 2013 - 2:41am

@JR ~ Thank you for the plug there :)

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 11, 2013 - 5:39am

Been three days since anyone has been NEAR my submission. Feeling mightily unloved...

Anyone feeling the same way? Swapsies? :)

Liam

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 11, 2013 - 6:13am

There are a lot of stories out there.  I'm up to 94 that I've read and commented on.  If you aren't learning from lack of comments on your own story, I'd heartily recommend taking a look at other people's efforts.  I've learned a lot both from what I think of the story and from what others thought of it as well.  I have about 60 odd still to go, so Xenophobe will be on my list.

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 11, 2013 - 7:24am

Anyone feeling the same way?

Yup. Feel sad and alone. Despondent. Just waiting to see that "1 message" text at the top right again. I need a shitty sad song to play over a montage of me checking that top right area of the screen and taking slow motion walks in the rain with my head down.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 11, 2013 - 7:34am

@Adam, there are a lot of stories out there indeed! I've commented on twice the number of stories than comments received, and those comments have been indepth, so fairly time consuming -maybe 40 mins per story? which I don't begrudge, but I do have other things to do - like writing, for example! :) (And work. Damned work...)

I'm still amazed - and delighted - that anyone has the time to do the lot, all credit to you! Hopefully you'll be able to post a few comments about the whole challenge, at the end, from a macro perspective, and I'm definitely be listening to "favourite" lists as time goes by!

dufrescm's picture
dufrescm from Wisconsin is reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep March 11, 2013 - 8:05am

I find that the biggest hinderance to my "getting this shit done" is convincing myself that I don't need to do a thorough LBL for every story I read. It's so hard to keep my red pen in my pocket, sometimes.

Also, The Space Bar.

Just 'cause

--Christa

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 11, 2013 - 8:16am

LBL's are good, but even just a broad opinion is good.  I have a couple of things that kept popping up in the comments on my story, so those were very useful, even without a LBL.

What keeps me going through the stories, and making time to do it, is that I keep learning pretty much from every single one.  There is a such a wide variety of voices and ideas out there, it's constantly interesting to see what worked and what didn't (in my opinion at least).

I understand the disappointment in lack of comments certainly - you can never have too many, and while the ones I've had have been great, I would have liked many more.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 11, 2013 - 8:33am

FYI, Adam, Tom, Christa - you're all on my "to read" list. Now I just need to find time to do exactly that! :)

Oddly, I think I have one more comment than vote. Not sure how that happened... maybe because litreactor can be a bit slow at times, and someone didn't hang around long enough... Oh well. Mentally, I'm tallying up a "plus one" for myself... :)

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 11, 2013 - 9:05am

Haven't read Tom's yet (will get there!), but Christa's is well worth a read.

Some people don't vote on a story if they are too undecided from what I can tell.  I find the comments of greater worth than the thumbs voting system, so that's what I tend to concentrate on, even if I do repeat myself a fair bit. Having said that, it's nice to get a few thumbs up!

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 11, 2013 - 11:15am

Another one that had me going wow: The Viral Awakening It reminds me Jack Magan's Sperical Tomi. At least the being that Tomi encounters. ;) A short and sweet read!

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things March 11, 2013 - 5:56pm

Sheesh, I sit down to read, and then I decide to write instead. Since writing is kind of why I'm here, I figure that's a good excuse for not reading.

IrishMak's picture
IrishMak from NH March 12, 2013 - 8:09am

I've been trying to read and comment on at least two stories a day, but it's hard sometimes. I wish I could dedicate a whole day to just reading. There are some really good stories that have been submitted here. I'm learining just from reading them. So many different ideas, and styles. It has been fun.

-Mak

Maria Stanislav's picture
Maria Stanislav from the UK is reading ALL the submissions! March 12, 2013 - 3:06pm

My story received a bit of attention back in the day, but hasn't had a single read for a while now. You might enjoy it if you'd like a break from harder sci-fi, since mine's closer to science fantasy - A Song for My Brother. It's just under 2,000 words, too!

(original illustration by Emma Young)

mattymillard's picture
mattymillard from Wolverhampton, England is reading Curse of the Wolf Girl - Martin Millar March 12, 2013 - 3:50pm

Wow, I'd pretty much forgotten this was still going on, been too busy on other projects and posting the start of my novel in the workshops (In That Other Dimension - a read of that would be much appreciated once you've finished on all of these stories!!) Also, ArlaneEnalra told me to read Stephen King's "On Writing" and I've been enjoying that too much :-)

Anyway, after a week off I'll be getting back on the reading on the train tomorrow. I won't get anywhere near the number of reads some of you guys have managed (to quote the wise words of one Wayne Campbell "We're not worthy!! We suck!"), but I definitely want to do all that have commented on mine, plus a few more!!

If you fancy a short one, mines only like 2,200 words!!

Cheers,

MattyM

scifiwriterguy's picture
scifiwriterguy from Chicago, IL is reading Iscariot by Tosca Lee March 12, 2013 - 4:10pm

Well I'll add my story to the list of those looking for feedback:

Also, on another note, you can check out my book project here: www.burningworldbook.com

My co-author and I plan to release book on in April or May (as soon as our editor gives us back the final draft and we run it through the smashwords meat grinder).

I've reviewed a huge number of stories, but I'm happy to read more of them if anyone wants to PM me.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

Kate Bosco's picture
Kate Bosco from Natick, MA is reading The Passage by Justin Cronin March 12, 2013 - 5:38pm

Does anyone have any advice on what sort of general feedback is useful? I've been trying to read a couple stories a day, but I'm having trouble coming up with decent feedback. It's been a very long time since I've done any sort of workshopping.There's so many open tabs waiting for me to comment on, but I tend to stall out once I start typing or ask random questions that I'm not sure will help with the story as it exists.

Hell, I'm not even sure this comment makes sense :\

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce March 12, 2013 - 5:46pm

@Kate -- I just gave some comments on Ender's story if you want to have a look at examples of what you can include in reviews. I did some general comments and 4 pages of a line by line commentary/edit for him. http://litreactor.com/events/teleport-us/the-gorund

Alternatively have a look at the LBLS and comments on my story and look in particular at Nick and Courtney's LBLs and Jonathan's comments. http://litreactor.com/events/teleport-us/gravidism

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 12, 2013 - 6:38pm

@Kate : I like the Gotham approach - at least one what you liked (whatever the story!) and what you want improved - even if you ONLY give one of each, you're doing a service, and a service which really is why we are all here.

I do like to go to town a bit (sorry if I've drowned anyone in words) but I may be the exception, not the rule!

"He that uses many words for the explaining any subject doth, like the cuttlefish, hide himself for the most part in his own ink" - John Ray

Kate Bosco's picture
Kate Bosco from Natick, MA is reading The Passage by Justin Cronin March 12, 2013 - 8:24pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I don't think I have the discipline to do LBLs at the moment, though goodness knows they're helpful. Nick did a great one for my story-- still have to go back and thank him for that.

Probably have been pushing myself too hard for really meaty general comments, and its slowing down my pace quite a bit. I will at least do the Gotham thing for all the ones that I get a chance to read before reviewing ends.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 13, 2013 - 4:59am

@Kirk and LitReactor

The "these stories need a few readers" should, I think, evolve! Obviously it was just those with - what? less than 3 votes? But as the month goes by, it could be - those stories with out any votes in a 7 day period, say, or those which are still in the bottom percentile of votes (bottom 10% would be 16-ish stories)

I'm sure people by now all have their own methods of deciding which to read, or in which order, but this ought to help a few tales falling into obscurity...

Just an idea!
Liam

C Patrick Neagle's picture
C Patrick Neagle from Portland, Oregon is reading words, words, words March 13, 2013 - 9:42am

Just popping in to say hi. "Hi!" I'm finally back in the States and have considerably better internet connectivity than I had out on the ship. My great hope is to now be able to read a bunch more stories. I've done 23 or so, so far, but had hoped to have gotten further. Sad face.

Anyway, I'd also like to again thank everyone who has commented on mine. The comments have been thoughtful, enlightening, and will eventually make the writing a better one.

--Patrick...

The Human Argument

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries March 13, 2013 - 1:41pm

Here's a backwards sort of request. If anyone is looking to get an LBL on their story, give me a holler. If you have reason to believe I will find 1 and a half things to comment on, don't holler. If you do, you'll only make me feel useless for not having anything to comment on. What I'm getting at is, if anyone is looking to revise their story, haven't gotten any LBLs, and think they could benefit from one, I'm offering my services, such as they are.

Phillip McCollum's picture
Phillip McCollum from Southern California is reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks March 13, 2013 - 5:30pm

@Arlane Thank you for the plug!! My story is okay, but Implant... now that's a hell of a good read! :)

CKevin's picture
CKevin from Charleston, SC is reading Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch March 13, 2013 - 7:38pm

Greetings fellow Teleport Us junkies. I've resisted posting here while working on the latest revision of my story Theotokos, but it has just been re-uploaded (hint, hint) and now have a reason to announce myself.

I have been working through some of the other submissions and I have to confess, I had been focusing on some of the neglected pieces but it's seems like many of those are lost causes as the author has neither made an effort to respond to critiques (mine or otherwise) nor made any attempts at improving the work. I do realise they owe nothing to those who read let alone comment but it is my sincere belief most everyone here is just trying to help and that is the true benefit of submitting to the contest.

So, as we are getting nearer to the event horizon, I plan on focusing what time I have to read on those submissions by engaged writers.While I can't promise anything, I hope to get through as many of the works promoted in this thread as possible, beginning with Corporate Person since Nathan was the first to read and comment on Theotokos (wink, wink).

Thanks in advance!

C.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce March 13, 2013 - 10:24pm

I'm slowly making my way through the stories, and can I just give a plug to Implant. Holy hell, is that one brutal story. I just finished telling the writer it was one of my favourites so far. It's dystopic, splatterpunk, sci-fi, horror. Every genre I love mashed into one story.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 14, 2013 - 2:31am

Got a read list of 11 (was 10, now added Implant) which should see me through the weekend at least. Anyone quick enough to suggest a twelth to make it an even dozen, gets it added...

And I won't feel at all upset, if you happened to add mine to your "to read" list. ;)

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 14, 2013 - 5:01am

Bad Signal is one of my favourites so far - entertaining blend of noir / cyber punk with a very good vein of humour running through it.

Yes, Admin is well worth a read, as is Of Flesh & Steel.

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes March 14, 2013 - 12:14pm

I have had such a good time with this challenge. I've read Sci-Fi before, but I honestly never thought I'd write any of it. I think the combination of challenges (and the Dystopian/Utopian elements) are what got me. Once I got an idea I was really happy to discover how much joy can be had in writing the genre.

World-building is addictive and I really had to struggle to keep that in check.  I just wanted to go on and on with it. The word limit in this case was a big help . . . but when I revise I know I'm going to want a bit more room to play in.

I have learned so much from reading stories, from feedback to my own story, and from giving feedback.  I've not read as many stories as I'd like, but there's still time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that this has been cool and I'm happy to be participating.  I'll be fishing through this discussion to find my next reading selections.  And I'll add an extra thanks to those of you have read and commented on my story, AffirmNation.

I also need to give that Random button a try.

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 14, 2013 - 12:28pm

You know, on top of all the stories to read, I keep coming across turn-ons to other interesting movies/directors/authors.  It's amazing what's out there!

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes March 14, 2013 - 1:03pm

I agree!  My To-Read/To-Watch lists have grown.  This has been great.  I've also been itching to return to some old favorites that keep popping up. March has been an excellent month.

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 14, 2013 - 1:24pm

I need more short story-writing competitions. This stuff gets my blood up.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 14, 2013 - 1:27pm

Tom do you still have your workshop subscription? Have you checked out the Beyond Thunderdome thread? That would be right up your ally.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 14, 2013 - 1:41pm

Sigh, I was posting a scifi contest, with no fee (hurrah!) only to find out it's only open to residents of Maryland... Oh well!

I'll post some places that don't necessarily do contests but are looking for stories with themes covered by this one- already posted "Man&Machine" for Liars League (2000 word limit) but there are more coming up!

Liam