Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 26, 2013 - 5:55am

Take a moment, should you have a moment, and peruse the back pages of the bulletin board.  There are a ton of threads there that were, or at least seemed, timely and pithy a year ago.  Dig through the fossil record and find one or two of them that you really like, or that you think are truly bizarre, or that you feel are representative of LR's evolution over the past 18 months and revive them.  Tell us why you chose what you chose.

Best case, we'll have something to talk about.  Worst case...well, I guess worst case is you'll get hate mail?  I'm not sure about worst case.  Haven't turned my imagination on yet this morning.  Insert a blank here and fill it with worst case.

Nuclear war.  That's the worst case I grew up with.  Maybe we can revive that as well.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 26, 2013 - 8:57am

I'd like to bring back this one: Why you suck...

Because not enough people took time to honestly recognize why they suck.

I won't bump it until I can think of something to contribute.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 26, 2013 - 9:04am

I like that one.  Consider it bumped.

Would you like me to tell you some things you could use as entries for that thread, AD?

You suck because your feet stink.

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres March 26, 2013 - 10:25am

I would love to bring back all of my favorites, but the fascist dictators that rule the message board and have their boot squarely against the throat of us free-thinking writers that reside here have DELETED them, censoring what could have been a rich history. I will now make an argument that revolves solely around itself to prove my point, not addressing anyone's questions, but constantly speaking of how amazing I am because I am a writer. I will do this in list form, then create a second profile to compliment myself, and a third profile to insult myself. Finally, as a straight white male, I will decide for everyone what words can be deemed offensive and stigmatize those who dare find those now non-offensive words offensive.

I believe that encapsulates ALL of the best threads. Anything I'm missing?

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 26, 2013 - 10:28am

I kinda miss the old thread where everyone posted a single word that popped into their head after reading the previous word someone previously posted. Now that was literary genius.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 26, 2013 - 10:35am

@Sean - Debating semantics, followed by some of us getting upset that we are debating semantics?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 26, 2013 - 10:40am

Always the debating with you.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 26, 2013 - 10:42am

Hey, some have debating, others have ichthyological intercourse. Potato potaato.

Myself, I have... well, I don't know what my identifying trait is, but it sure as hell ain't fish sex.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 26, 2013 - 10:50am

Well, if you consider the certain part of the female anatomy tuna, or some variation of fish, then yes, it would be fish sex.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 26, 2013 - 10:51am

I'd say something else funny, but thanks to Moon, I'm gonna go make some tuna salad - I'm starving!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 26, 2013 - 6:09pm

So I noticed that our old threads had us asking questions trying to get to know each other. What is your experience, what do you read, so on and so forth.

Now we are much more confrontational, commanding, and forward while having few question marks in the title of the forum. Invites to real life events, lots of stuff on the War,  Thunderdome, and pragmatic concerns.

The questions we do have are practical instead of being aimed at getting to know each other.

I don't think this is a bad thing, just a observation.

SRead's picture
SRead from Colorado is reading Stories March 26, 2013 - 8:01pm

I've been going through and reading those old threads, getting to know you lot and the site better, but I haven't been posting much. Lurking is a hard habit to break.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 27, 2013 - 10:31am

Dwayne, I think you've hit on something.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 27, 2013 - 10:56am

@Dwayne: While I agree with you, and you've pointed out some good examples, why not do something about it. Start a 'getting to know you' thread.

Now we are much more confrontational, commanding, and forward while having few question marks in the title of the forum. Invites to real life events, lots of stuff on the War,  Thunderdome, and pragmatic concerns.

War, Thunderdome and invites to real life events on the forum are how we communicate to one another. No one would know about Thunderdome, War or the Books and Booze meet up any other way exccept on Facebook. The forum has many different categories to choose from. If you'd rather get this information elsewhere, join the LR group on Facebook. All the same info is there, as well.

This is a writer's site. Of course there's going to be questions like this. In order to be a successful writer, or at least semi-successful, we need questions like this.

As for confrontation and commanding posts, I have to agree with Brandon. There is a lot of debating going on, and as writers, we tend to hold strong opinions on things. A debate is good, though. But not acknowledging the other person's views or even trying to understand where they're coming from creates that confrontation. As an example, I think you're opinion on the Oxford comma is, for some instances, not right. While it may be grammatically correct, within the realm of fiction it may not be correct. It's not a rule. Rules can be thrown out in fiction in favor of stylistic choices or how the first person narrator speaks. I would only use the Oxford if my narrator is making a 'dramatic pause.' If they're not and the narrative is to just flow seamlessly, I wouldn't use the comma. Elmore Leonard says: 'If it sounds like writing, rewrite it.'

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 27, 2013 - 10:52am

Start a 'getting to know you' thread.

Back off!  That's my gig!  I do that EVERY MONTH!

gosh...no one appreciates me anymore.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 27, 2013 - 10:58am

Back off!  That's my gig!  I do that EVERY MONTH!

gosh...no one appreciates me anymore.

- There ya go, Dwayne.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 27, 2013 - 1:04pm

@Averydoll - No, no one does appreciate you. Get used to it.

@Moon - Like I said I'm not convinced it is a bad thing, or practical to change. Averydoll seems to put a fair amount of effort into it, and few of us even notice. I do think it might serve us well to be aware of the change so I pointed it out. For the new guys and all that.