enough's picture
enough from Indiana is reading Warmed and Bound December 11, 2011 - 3:43pm

Mine is moving along, slowly, but still moving.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 10:09am

@bekanator--it can be vague or the person can have multiple disorders or they could even be faking one. Anything is possible. I am willing to accept stories based on the same illness even if they are different enough.

Jami Kali's picture
Jami Kali from Pennsylvania is reading words December 12, 2011 - 10:24am

Sign me up for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder (PMDD)!

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 10:39am

Alright hell, I'm back in. I'll keep hypochondria if it isn't taken yet. I haven't started writing it yet but I'll give a run down of a couple scenes/outline.

The protagonist is a germaphobe and is constantly diagnosing himself. At the recommendation of a friend he starts to try natural remedies and medicines. Psilocybin mushrooms are one of the medicines to help him with his hypochondria. The protagonist takes to the mushrooms and starts to trip all of the time. He starts to go straight to do the dealer when his friend thinks he is abusing them. The protagonist is tripping every day, constantly increasing his dose to avoid tolerance. He stops eating and washing and eventually shows up to his dealer's house to rant about the mushrooms. The mushrooms are the answer to life. They are the answer to everything. He only needs mushrooms and if he keeps eating them he will see god. The dealer is freaked out and kicks him out. Seeing no other choice, the protagonist resorts to eating his own shit to get the Psilocybin into his body. Trying to help the taste, he microwaves and grills his shit, batters it in bread crumbs and covers it in cake frosting. He comes to the conclusion that germs are his friend and nothing can kill him because he isn't living or dead. He is evolved.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 10:40am

Yay! Finally, some gender specific disorders.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 10:43am

Note to self: shit milkshakes.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 10:44am

Um, Dakota, thats gross. I was hoping for something a little more subtle. Although eating poop is crazy, it all depends how you write it, I guess. All submissions are welcome. Moon, Chester and me will judge all the stories and pick the best ones, it will be like American Idol but with words...and talent.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 10:48am

Well I guess all I can do is hope I make the cut. I know Chester likes poop so I think I have a good chance.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters December 12, 2011 - 10:48am

" Although eating poop is crazy, it all depends how you write it, I guess."

You are being WAY too kind.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 10:54am

@ Jami Kali: Fuck Yes. And I will echo Danny's sentiment, it is great to see more women getting involved. Women are better writers, any man knows that.

@Danny...and International. And genre-blendered. And...

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 10:58am

It's a victimless crime.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 10:59am

Okay, avery is right, Dakota, that sounds terrible. Please think of something else. We were just having the shock value talk in another thread and that might work for Laurence's antho idea called Shock and Appall but for Psychosis I was trying to be more subtle and realistic.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 11:01am

Danny--did you get the attachement I sent you? I sent it via Facebook because I didn't have your email.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 11:02am

Well than I wish you good luck with your project. Some criticism if you don't mind? A lot of these stories will be research based only from internet resources and that can make some of them lack realness and substance. You might want to cross-reference in the editing stage to avoid these mishaps. Web M.D. just doesn't cut it.

Can't wait to read your stories guys! :D

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 11:04am

I really don't think that's necessary, Dakota. He's letting you know what he wants for the antho--I don't think criticizing him and the writers contributing for something you assume is really the right way to go.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 11:09am

I'm pointing out a valid point. I wasn't criticizing anybody's stories or his project. An editor isn't going to want to see stories with facts that were lifted from Wikipedia. You guys don't have to take the advice if it's going to be a personal thing. Just my two cents. Good luck.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 11:14am

@Renee--yeah, I want to give you detailed feedback when I get home. I'm on my cell phone right now but I did read some of it, it's a good start.

@Jack--I plan to make sure they are medically accurate and not in a Human Centipede way. You forget, all I do in my spare time is read articles on mental illness, I'm working on my Masters in Psych so I have to write tedious 20 page papers with dozens of article references all the time. I'm hoping that contributers will read at least one academic based article on their illness. I guess I should state that. The reality of these diseases is far more interesting than anything we can make up sometimes.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin December 12, 2011 - 11:16am

I understand what you are saying Dakota, and I'm sure that it is a valid point, but I think it bears pointing out that none of us were trying to justify a hypocondriac eating a shit milkshake. I'm sad you're dropping out again, and I see where you are coming from, but I know that I'll be looking at the facts (or at least the relevant peer reviewed articles) when I'm doing my reviews and I'm pretty sure that alien has some background in mental health. I feel like we should be capable of doing the necesarry research.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 11:21am

@Dakota--It's a valid point--if, and only if, you had a reason to believe that is what was happening and/or that Danny was incapable of editing them from a professional stand point. Look, man, I like you, and from what I have seen, I like your writing style--I'm just pointing out that what happened here shows your age a little more than I think you'd like. It is obvious that Danny wants you to play ball here, but also has a "vision" for this antho. You just have to realize that sometimes you get an idea that is fucking perfect for where you want it to go, and sometimes you get an idea that would be better somewhere else.

@Danny--Thanks, I know it's a little weak, but I am hoping maybe a little feedback will help me out with the concept.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 11:25am

and sometimes you get an idea that would be better somewhere else.

Which is what I am doing. Getting rejected is a part of the publishing field, I'm not offended, I wish you guys the best of luck. If my comments sound sarcastic or resentful than I apologize. If I questioned Danny's editing skills, I would have passed on his project in the first place.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 11:31am

I'll chalk it up to conversations not always translating to text the way they are intended, then.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 11:40am

8====D---

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 11:46am

I'll take the ejaculating penis icon as a sign that there are no hard feelings.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters December 12, 2011 - 11:50am

"I'll take the ejaculating penis icon as a sign that there are no hard feelings."

I usually do.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 12:09pm

Yeah, the hard feelings tend to go pretty quickly after ejaculation, at least in most cases.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 12:29pm

Growing pains.

I actually started laughing, in an admirable way, after I read Dakota's synopsis.

Potty (party with a british accent) humour.

Having ingested more than my fair share of mushrooms (what can I say, I grew up in the vicinity of cows) I know they have the potential to bend minds in both wonderful and detrimental ways. And although they never compelled me to eat my own shit (ironically they do grow out of shit) I would guess they might be capable of causing one to do so (find proof, then warp it).

From personal experience I have seen that particular intoxicant bring people to their knees as they questioned their sanity. The concept for the story sounds like a compelling one and could be really interesting. It is all in the way the subject-matter is handled. And yes, the more research to support it the better. You will probably shit a milkshake when you discover real examples of some of the things people have done when their minds were shrooming, if you haven't already.

That being said, I would tend to agree with Renee that your tone, Dakota, comes off a bit rash and sophomoric (it takes one to know one). During the process of an endeavor like this and in the name of the work, everyone's mettle will be tested repeatedly. What a marvelous learning experience. In other words, get used to it, because if you think we're tough, just wait until you start approaching the rest of the world with your work. They probably wouldn't even bother to give you feedback, much less read your work in the first place. So give a little respect to your partners in crime.

I realize I am a nobody in the world of writing so my advice doesn't carry a whole hell of a lot of weight. I can only speak from past experience with other creative projects that I have been involved with. Any time a group of people work together toward a common goal, there will be differences in opinion and feelings will get hurt. So go cry in the bathroom for a bit and get back to it instead of throwing in the towel.

Be prepared to listen. Grow some ears. Some big ones. Absorb the knowledge of others whenever you can. For one it's free, and it sure beats trying to go it alone.

Who knows where this thing is going or what the end result will be. It's only the beginning and there's a long road ahead. But Dakota, I can promise you that if nothing else, if you stick with it you will learn a lot. You will grow as a writer, and from what I gather that seems to be what you are here for. And you won't have to pay a dime for it.

But you might have to be willing to pay attention.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. December 12, 2011 - 12:53pm

Who the hell is Dakota?  Is she hot?

Answer the second one first.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 12:58pm

@Bryan answer to second one--if you like men. Answer to the first one jacks_username.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 1:07pm

This just gets better and better. I need a tutorial on how to create that exploding penis icon. But I want the seeds to emit more along the lines of a shower of sparks.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones December 12, 2011 - 1:12pm

if this is still open, i got a cool idea for a couple different stories that would fit right in. so go ahead and put me down for clinical vampyrism. i remember reading this news story somewhere about someone who honestly thought he was a vampire. so i know it exists as a psychosis.

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson December 12, 2011 - 1:25pm

Am I the only person thinking Dakota gave me a few good ideas for my next meal? Let's at least give him some merit based purely on his culinary ingenuity.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 1:26pm

Not only is it still open, but will probably be throughout January. The header is due for another update and one is in the works.

For some reason I thought you were already submitting. Can't wait to see that story, that sounds tasty (pun).

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson December 12, 2011 - 1:30pm

@Charles
There was a serial killer who was a clinical vampire, cant think of his name right now, sonyou might want to look him up for ideas. He had a family and they never knew that he would bring strange women home and slowly drain their blood while they were away.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 1:32pm

I just read something on Cracked.com about clinical vampirism and they had a bunch of interesting (&reliable) sources...I can't remember the name of the article though, if I happen upon it during my daily descent into the website, I'll link it here for you.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones December 12, 2011 - 1:50pm

@david: yeah, that's exactly who i meant. the stuff i read about him has stuck with me more than the scariest movies, and made me question humanity, and my level of creativity. i write fucked up shit, but i would never think of the stuff he was doing on my own, even for a piece of fiction.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 9:13pm

Just want to reiterate about using the Workshop.

Please try to post your submissions there and begin seeking feedback unless you think they are ready to go. Even then it never hurts to post it for any last considerations.

We are going to need all the help we can get pre-editing. And I know Danny and Ryan and I will all be watching the Workshop for submissions so we can gain a communal or more crowdsourced perspective on the work.

At the moment I would not worry about a deadline so much as I would the quality of your submissions.

We are in the process of revising the guidelines a bit as new things develop.

If anyone can't afford the workshop, PM me and I will see about getting you enrolled.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 2:22pm

Chester thanks for the post, I think...

I'm not going to participate. One, I did the leg work to get Richard Thomas on the other anthology so I feel ripped off. Two, I got rejected before I even submitted and rejected on the boards rather than through a PM. Not cool but oh well, it's nothing personal after all.

Anyway it doesn't matter now so I'd like to tell an interesting story since Chet touched base on it. I heard a story about a football player who had never done drugs before in his life until he ate a half q of mushies at a party. They locked him out of the house for crawling on his hands and knees screaming: FUCK ME IN THE ASS! over and over again. "We're all gay here, just fuck me in the ass!" I still don't know how someone can freak out that badly no matter how hard they are tripping but I guess it happens. Just a funny mushroom story.

Regarding eating shit, well there is a lot of shit fetish videos. Feature films. 2 girls, 1 cup is 3 minutes of a 2 hour video produced by a company that makes a lot of these videos. Also last month when I went on a mushroom binge myself with a friend, (we ate around a half ounce of some chronic ones) by the end of the two weeks we were talking about people rubbing shit on their face as cat whiskers. This prompted many conversations about shit among other things. What is this point of this? The last night we did them he almost microwaved his own shit because he was peeking so hard.

Is it an appropriate story for this anthology? I don't know. Do people eat shit? Yes, yes they do.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 2:30pm

That made me laugh. Especially the cat whiskers.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. December 12, 2011 - 2:40pm

I don't know why coprophagia wouldn't be an interesting topic.  It just has to be written in a style that makes the idea of eating shit not that far from reality - thinking magical realism here.

Somebody once told me a story about their grandmother.  After having her first baby, the grandmother had an overwhelming urge to eat her baby's shit.  They used the word 'overwhelming', so I naturally asked if the grandmother had given into these urges.  They wouldn't answer.  To me, that means yes.

Now, whether this was a form of pica, the body missing a nutrient and knowing by instinct that it was in the shit, or if it was just plain crazy, I have no idea.  Lots of animals eat shit because they get nutrition from it (sometimes by eating the waste, they are able to get minerals that their bodies couldn't process without first having another animal break down the parts).

Even wikipedia has examples from history: "Centuries ago, physicians used to taste their patients' excretions, to better judge their state and condition"

If you've got a shit story, write it anyway.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 2:44pm

God I love this thread.

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson December 12, 2011 - 2:57pm

I agree with Bryan.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 3:06pm

Okay, I updated the main page with the new guidelines, Chester. Let me know what you think.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 12, 2011 - 3:10pm

@jacks--I think the football player story sounds interesting. I'm sorry if I was harsh, I wasn't trying to knock you down. Next time I'll PM you. I sent you an Xmas card.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 3:12pm

Thanks Danny,

Looks great.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 3:20pm

Yay for xmas cards, thnx.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones December 12, 2011 - 3:34pm

@dakota: i was rejected from the velvet anthology with a story i submitted to another velvet-ran outfit and had published. i was told my work was not velvet enough. wrap your head around that, considering all the stuff i had published through those channels previously. so, if you want to talk about taking shit personally....

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 12, 2011 - 4:04pm

@Dakota--I didn't read it as rejection, honestly. I just read it as "shit milkshakes might be too heavy for what we're trying to accomplish here"...which...surprisingly isn't something you hear that often (yuk yuk). I understand that's easy for me to say when it wasn't my idea.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 12, 2011 - 4:07pm

Just write the fuckin' thing already. Look at all the traffic it's generated.

David Shepherd's picture
David Shepherd from shepherdsville, KY is reading Idoru by William Gibbson December 12, 2011 - 4:27pm

Yeah it's been built up to much. Don't be a tease.

.'s picture
. December 12, 2011 - 6:56pm

Well I suppose I'll write it.