Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies August 16, 2013 - 9:31pm

wow, kudos

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt August 16, 2013 - 10:13pm

Thanks guys. You could imagine my excitement when he replied. I felt like an idiot as I was contemplating writing the email, then again as I was writing it, and one last time as my finger hovered over the send button, thinking: No way in hell will he acknowledge me.

It'll go up sometime next week. I think, given how massively great it is for the magazine, it needs a suitable intro. Admittedly, it's on the short side. As much as I'd have liked to get page long responses to my questions, realistically he's a talented, busy guy, so I was happy getting anything at all!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies August 17, 2013 - 7:20am

yeah, that's pretty awesome that he responsed at all. keep reaching out. let me know if there is anybody i can help you interview.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt August 17, 2013 - 10:05am

Thanks! I'd really appreciate that.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt September 30, 2013 - 1:05pm

The Poseidon (#3) stories are now availalble online, one day early because...welll, because I'm not good at keeping to the set schedule. In a good way. You can read them all in the link down below:

I also redesigned the layout a little. Take a look around. Tell me what you think.

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries September 30, 2013 - 1:48pm

Awww, the monster illustration is so amazing!

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin October 1, 2013 - 2:03am

Looking good, Sound. Awesome job :)

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies October 1, 2013 - 9:26am

looks like i'm in the Aphrodite issue as well as Dionysus. STOKED. :-) these are a lot of fun to write.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 10, 2013 - 9:16am

Just a heads up, anyone who wants to have a story considered for the Dionysus issue should submit their stories by 10/13. Submissions will close on the morning of the 14th.

There's been a big influx of subs in the past few weeks, and I'm very pleased with the TOC. We don't need any more, but I'm giving folks some extra time in case there's a gem out there still.

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) October 10, 2013 - 9:23am

Just time for one last draft...

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 10, 2013 - 10:27am

Shit, I gotta hustle!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 10, 2013 - 10:33am

Forgot something really important here:

For the first time and beginning with the Dionysus issue, Pantheon Magazine is OPEN to Poetry submissions.

Why? Well, we have a devoted Poetry Editor to head the whole thing. I don't read much of poetry, so unless you want a lot of Roses are red, violets are blue type poetry, you don't want me picking out poems.

Who? Lindsay Doukopoulos has published poetry and fiction in various journals such as WordRiot, Smokelong Quarterly, The Southeast Review, and Bat City Review, among others. She holds a PhD in Creative writing and has spent some time as poetry editor at Juked.

When? Starting with the Dionysus issue. We're unclear on how many we'll take, depending on submissions and time (It's mid October already!).

How do I submit? We're currently working on a set of specific poetry guidelines, but assume the normal formatting standards for poetry for now if you choose to submit today or tomorrow. Full guidelines should be up sometime tomorrow. In the meantime, the main guideline is to stick with the theme. Let it inspire your poem. We are accepting original AND previously published poetry. No payment (maybe later). Hmm..what else...nope, that's it for now. Categories are open for Dionysus and Aphrodite. Submit submit submit.

SRead's picture
SRead from Colorado is reading Stories October 10, 2013 - 5:34pm

Very exciting news!

I'll spare you my poetry--I think I'm part Vogon--but I'm doing some edits on an Aphrodite sub. :)

Fritz's picture
Fritz October 12, 2013 - 1:27am

Go Pantheon! :)

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 22, 2013 - 1:06pm

Here's the final TOC for fiction in the Dionysus issue. Thanks to everyone who submitted. It seems like with each issue there's more and more to choose from.

There's still space for anyone who wants to submit poetry, as submissions have been pretty low.

Table Of Contents (Dionysus, January 2014)

Shroom Soccer by Maui Holcomb
Naxos by Megan Arkenberg
Wild And Free by Vannessa MacLellan
Pomegranate Wine by Sarah Read
The Ground You Walk On by Benjamin David Knight
Children Of Nameless Streets by Faisal Pakkali
The Crows Followed You Here by Mary Renzi
Meat Sweats by Dino Parenti (Print/eBook Only)
Head Like A Hole by Richard Thomas (Print/eBook Only)

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 22, 2013 - 5:13pm

Can't wait to read these stories! Has the cover been created yet?

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 22, 2013 - 7:33pm

Luke is actually working on the cover now. Should have it in a week or two!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies October 22, 2013 - 8:15pm

nice! very excited for this. can't wait to see the cover art.

SRead's picture
SRead from Colorado is reading Stories October 23, 2013 - 8:46am

So excited!

Fritz's picture
Fritz October 26, 2013 - 9:38am

Luke does good stuff

KarenRunge's picture
KarenRunge from South Africa is reading Blindness October 30, 2013 - 6:11am

Just finished reading my copy of Artemis the other day!  I loved the diversity of the stories, and how flexible you guys were in how you allowed the theme to be interpreted.  Definitely a great little mag.

Thanks!!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt November 8, 2013 - 10:26am

Glad you enjoyed it, Karen!

Yeah, I was really pleased with the wide range of stories in Artemis. I think you'll find the same with the Dionysus issue. I think the more obscure Gods/Goddesses bring that out more, and it's always interesting to see how it inspires the stories. Sometimes it's just a feeling, or a tone, that does it.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On November 8, 2013 - 11:13am

Any idea yet what god you've got lined up for after Aphrodite?

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt November 8, 2013 - 11:31am

I actually have the full line-up for 2014 decided...but I'm not telling yet :).

Submissions have skyrocketed, though, with 4 accepted already which means I'll open up another category sooner rather than later. Not sure if the increase is because people like Aphrodite, or just because the mag has been around a year now and there's more confidence in it. Either way, it's cool.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On November 8, 2013 - 5:33pm

That's awesome! Glad it's exceeding expectation; feel honored to be a part of it. And damn you for hoarding that list!!!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt November 8, 2013 - 11:32pm

Thanks, Dino!

That said...

I'm looking for anyone who would be interested in joining our growing team as a fiction reader. The fiction reader would be responsible for reading 1-5 stories per week, commenting, and voting. If this is something you might be interested in, shoot me an email at PantheonMag@Gmail.com!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies November 12, 2013 - 1:33pm

yeah, thrilled to be a part of Aphrodite. keep up the great work.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt November 15, 2013 - 9:06pm

(Illustration Credit: Luke Spooner)

Couldn't keep this under my hat for a second longer...So, as I normally do, I wanted to give LitReactor folks some heads up on this call for submissions. It'll be Pantheon Magazine's first of two annual charity/fundraising anthologies. The first, a fantasy, dark fantasy, and magical realism (and anything in between) anthology, "Gaia: Shadow & Breath". Dark fantsy with horror elements OK.

It's a working title currently, and can change later on. I'll open up submissions on Saturday night. Payment will be a contributor's print copy. A portion of the profit will be donated to The Nature Concervancy. Click HERE to read a little about them and what they do.

Submssions do not have to be deal directly with nature or Gaia, but somehow tying it into your story, or including a lush natural setting will earn you brownie points. Deadline, TBD (Est. February 28th, '14) for a May '14 publication date.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies November 21, 2013 - 2:11pm

^love. submitted.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce November 23, 2013 - 12:16am

Matt, are you taking any reprints for this or are you only after original material?

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt November 23, 2013 - 7:55am

Jess, we're taking reprints for this.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce November 23, 2013 - 11:34am

Good stuff! I just need to check what my reprint rights are on this one story -- you know I like to be careful about these things ;) -- and if all is okay, I will submit something soon. :)

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz November 24, 2013 - 12:10am

Cool projects you have going on over there at Pantheon.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt December 17, 2013 - 8:18pm

Here's the artwork for the upcoming (April, 2014) Aphrodite issue. This was designed and created by Lena Yuk, who was recently featured on Nightmare Magazine's artist showcase. She was amazing to work with and I look forward to future projects with her. Maybe, dare I say, a horror anthology? ;)

I know this is a crappy picture, but if you follow the Facebook link down below, there is a bigger picture there. It's also the best/easiest way to keep up to date with submission windows & other things (Like, for instance, did you know we're giving away two copies of DIONYSUS on Goodreads??)

LIKE PANTHEON ON FACEBOOK

FOLLOW PANTHEON ON TWITTER: @PantheonMag

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies December 18, 2013 - 10:21am

yeah, love it. so awesome. thrilled to be in here.

and, horror anthology? oh boy. yes, please.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On December 18, 2013 - 11:59am

Sweet cover. Love that style. And definitely let us know about the horro antho!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt December 18, 2013 - 1:52pm

Theme: Typhon (called "The Father Of All Monsters")
Cover Artist: Lena Yuk (Confirmed)
Scheduled pub date: October 2014

That's all I got for now. :)

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies December 19, 2013 - 1:49pm

^^^OOOOOOOOOOOOOH. so you're looking for monster stories, innovative new beasts? or am i way off. i am SO down for submitting to this. stoked.

Ben Freeman's picture
Ben Freeman from Charlottesville, Virginia is reading everything I can December 19, 2013 - 3:23pm

sick cover, can't wait.

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne December 20, 2013 - 6:30am

Typhon! Nice!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt January 1, 2014 - 8:45pm

Hey guys, the new Dionysus content is online to read now. 8 great fiction pieces, and five poems for your reading pleasure. You can read it by CLICKING HERE

Fritz's picture
Fritz January 4, 2014 - 12:58pm

Monster stories!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt April 15, 2014 - 9:30am

Hey guys, Pantheon is looking for one more fiction reader. If you or anyone you know is interested, drop us a line as to what type of fiction interests you, and why you'd like to read for us specifically. (Pantheonmag@gmail.com). Some changes happening soon!

Here's something you may have missed if you haven't 'liked' our Facebook page yet:

Sarah Read has stepped up to take the co-role as Fiction Editor for Pantheon Magazine. Sarah joined the team as a reader a few months back, and with her input and contributions we put out a solid and diverse collection of stories in the Aphrodite issue.

Sarah's work has appeared in two of our issues, and is forthcoming in Dark House Press's Exigencies anthology, as well as Black Static # 40. I'm thrilled to have her onboard, and excited for the direction and perspective she will bring to our growing team.

Also, the Aphrodite stories are online now so go check those out!

SRead's picture
SRead from Colorado is reading Stories April 15, 2014 - 11:57am

Thanks, Matt!

And I highly recommend the slush reading. It's fun (free stories to read!) and you really get an idea of what to look for in a piece. It has already taught me a lot about my own writing and submitting.

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes April 15, 2014 - 6:23pm

Congratulations, Sarah! Hooray!

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries April 16, 2014 - 2:54am

Hey guys, Pantheon is looking for one more fiction reader. If you or anyone you know is interested, drop us a line as to what type of fiction interests you, and why you'd like to read for us specifically. (Pantheonmag@gmail.com). Some changes happening soon!

I would love to try something like this, but could you give me an idea of (roughly) how much time I'd need to invest as a reader?

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin April 16, 2014 - 3:52am

Congrats Sarah!! Great to hear :)

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt April 16, 2014 - 10:06am

Linda, I'd estimate 1-2 hours per week. I'm a slow reader, though, so it could be less :). Sometimes it's slow and it might be less and sometimes I get a ton of submissions in one day. Email me if you're interested!