PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 22, 2012 - 11:43pm

Which do you prefer?

I like suspending my belief when it comes to most books, even when the content is farfetched.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 22, 2012 - 11:48pm

I like a healthy blend of both like when a story has realistic aspects but also combines magic and the supernatural into that world. Which is pretty much what Stephen King does.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 22, 2012 - 11:50pm

I don't mind stories that throw logic out the window.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 22, 2012 - 11:51pm

Go somewhere else, somewhere ugly. Somewhere pretty. Somewhere that changes my mind?

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 22, 2012 - 11:58pm

That's a good way to put it Chester. I just want to go into someplace else.

JackieMR's picture
JackieMR from Illinios is reading something interesting April 23, 2012 - 12:14am

Depends on the book really. My basic rule is that you don't suddenly throw a dragon halfway into a book that's a mystery set in some small town when no dragons have been mentioned.

That said, throwing logic out the window can be great fun, and so can throwing out all the magic. And so can a bit of both. And yep, I agree with Chester. Just go someplace different, if not new.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 23, 2012 - 4:56am

I have a really hard time suspending my disbelief if I am writing it, if I am reading/watching I have no problem. No clue why.

Grigori Black's picture
Grigori Black from US is reading Radium Girls by Amanda Gowin April 23, 2012 - 5:36am

@matt

I have a similar problem. For me, it's because when I'm writing it I'm trying to figure out how to make it plausible. If I'm reading it, it's just F***ing magic.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 23, 2012 - 5:37am

how to make it plausible"

Exactly!

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 23, 2012 - 6:34am

If I read it, I can believe just about any dumb thing - IF it is a good book and the premise is good, good writing, what have you.  If it is not those things, I will sit and poke holes in it all day and mock the book endlessly.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig April 23, 2012 - 9:37am

I tend to not care how unbelievable a story or plot point is if the characters react to it in a believable way, and the "world" created in the books follows its own rules.

RoganStanton's picture
RoganStanton from Kentucky is reading Damned by Chuck Palahniuk April 23, 2012 - 9:57am

I agree with Sparrow.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like April 23, 2012 - 10:16am

I look at it like this: an imaginative or fantastic story can still entertain and even relate truth, and a book written with rigid realism can still be entirely un-relatable.  As such, I don't really prefer one or the other.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin April 23, 2012 - 10:38am

With regard to reading and writing, I believe this is a false dichotomy. These things are hardly mutually exclusive. Mundane fantasy, near future sci-fi, magical realism, alternate history, all of those genres are kind of a protest of the idea that you cannot combine imagination with the structure of realism.

Which is to say that I don't understand the question.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig April 23, 2012 - 10:47am

Nick--good point. I'm actually writing what I think would be considered near future sci-fi or mundane sci-fi. I'm not intimately familiar with the genre qualifiers, so I might be wrong, but the point is, I think the story is much more realism than anything, but the sci-fi aspect is what drives the story.

Bill Tucker's picture
Bill Tucker from Austin, Texas is reading Grimm's Fairy Tales (1st Edition) April 23, 2012 - 11:25am

To me, you can be as far fetched as you like, so long as your characters have human reactions to things.  Take any science fiction story.  Unless they are "monsters", the alien creatures all have basic human characteristics or feelings.  They don't have to be good feelings nor do they have to have every human emotion, but they must be genuine human emotions.  Once you have that, you can be as imaginative as you like.

Also, I've always considered the combination of mad fantasy grounded in reality the basis of surrealism.  For me, the basis of that form of writing is the belief that we will never know everything the world can throw at us.  There is always going to be an element of living that is magic and mysterious, that manifests itself in what appears to be bizarre. In short, we will never know everything and the world, as a living organism, will consistently evolve to amaze us.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 23, 2012 - 1:09pm

I take no hard line either way but my preference is towards realism and right now, I find that connection more fulfilling and thought provoking. But I grew up reading comics and worlds full of heroes. That part of me never left. I recently finished The Walking Dead compendium 1 and found myself caring  a lot about the characters who died and where it's going. And I'm digging the bookclub book (We Live Inside You) for a fun escape.

Good writing is good writing. But right now my tastes keep me reading a more realistic world.

JonnyGibbings's picture
JonnyGibbings April 24, 2012 - 2:41pm

Chester said it perfectly for me. So, what he said.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 25, 2012 - 4:12am

I'm sick of realism at the moment. That's just me.

If I can get transported to another univers/dimension/world that's fine with me.

I prefer more upbeat subjects.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 25, 2012 - 4:36am

Then let me tell you about a little place I know called Care-a-lot.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 25, 2012 - 4:39am

Too

UPBEAT

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 4:37am

Yeah, I've tried and tried, but I can't write it unless it's plausable and a alternate world isn't it...

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 25, 2012 - 4:39am

Debbie Downer

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 25, 2012 - 4:41am

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 4:42am

totally

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 25, 2012 - 10:37am

And this is going to be the day I post 1000 pictures from my office...

This is my Grumpy Bear keychain, given to me when I turned 16, because everyone thinks I'm mean.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 11:14am

Aw, I'm gonna call you "Grumpy bear Taylor."

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 25, 2012 - 11:31am

When they erroneously stated that you were mean did you properly respond with, "Fuck off!"?

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 11:32am

No, she's mean, she'll tell ya. I also found a picture.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 25, 2012 - 12:01pm

Yeah - I am mean.  But that is why I would respond with, "Fuck off!"

People think it's funny at first.  Then slowly over time I wear them down.  Like the mighty Colorado River.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 12:04pm

Like the mighty Colorado River."

You should have used a metaphor instead of a simile.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 25, 2012 - 12:08pm

You should have shut the fuck up.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 12:09pm

You should have shut the fuck up."

Bwhahahahahahahah, holy shit that's awesome. Go make me a sandwich.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 25, 2012 - 12:21pm

Yeahhhh

but the thing about that is

I hate you.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 25, 2012 - 12:23pm

I had to bring back the classics.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like April 25, 2012 - 2:12pm

a series of lols

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 25, 2012 - 3:52pm

People in real life think I'm mean but I'm really just joking - it's just that my jokes are often kind of personal and moderately insulting yet mildly funny. If they don't get it, that's there fault. Fuck 'em.

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human April 25, 2012 - 3:57pm

I have a very serious face and people think everything I say is serious.

When they get to know me they often mistake it for sarcasm, but it's not sarcasm .

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 25, 2012 - 8:31pm

Your avatar conveys precisely how serious you are.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner April 26, 2012 - 3:56am

Panda is serious about being serious.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 26, 2012 - 6:32am

I'm usually so sarcastic that people never know when I am genuine.  It's a problem.  I sometimes just tag emails with a little asterisk and note at the bottom that I was sincere.

It takes extra time, but it's worth it really.

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons April 26, 2012 - 7:01pm

People think I'm really nice because i say sweet things usually, but deep down I have an ugly mean streak that watches everything.