Crescendo2020's picture
Crescendo2020 from Redlands, Ca is reading Not enough of all of them. February 9, 2014 - 10:28am

Back on topic.

First, what do you see as the real dangers facing our society in the next generation or so? Second, is it possible to write fiction that reflects those dangers in a way that is both relevant and compelling without being pedantic and preachy?

For the first question: A Capitalist-zombie clit is a plausible threat to society.

For the second question: If you were to present an opinion fueled story, regardless of how it's displayed, there are bound to be people who disagree with the underlying message. But if it's a good story, fuck 'em.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 9, 2014 - 4:21pm

Yeah... I don't know read something else if you don't like her?

Crescendo2020's picture
Crescendo2020 from Redlands, Ca is reading Not enough of all of them. February 9, 2014 - 4:25pm

I don't care that much. I enjoy making fun of her.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 9, 2014 - 4:42pm

@2020 - You don't care enough to read anything besides Ayn Rand?  And for the record she was a very specific, pro self made, ultra ethical by a very unforgiving set of standards, atheist capitalists.  Normal hey money is neat I'd like to make some capitalists (or normal anything for that matter) she pretty much hated.

The things about real dangers from the future requires a fairly impartial view of things, and that is hard.  A lot of religious writers are terrified the future will look all anti religion, even though the evidence doesn't support that.  Some secular writers put out horror fiction of a religious take over of the U.S. and that seems unlikely. Maybe something no one is thinking about, like how the new windmills might make drugs and other crimes that needs electricity to work easier to get away with?

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal February 9, 2014 - 7:49pm

^

I always go back to people being their own worst enemies.  Plagues, technology, whatever...  We screw things up for ourselves better than anything.  History repeats.

Anyway, concerning the zombie clit taking over...  That only works in an episode of South Park.

OtterMan's picture
OtterMan from New Jersey, near Philadelphia USA is reading Ringworlds Children February 10, 2014 - 1:04am

I always go back to people being their own worst enemies.  Plagues, technology, whatever...  We screw things up for ourselves better than anything.  History repeats.

I think that's the balence point of any good story. The unbearable oppression of circumstance set against the temorary triumph of a hero.The tension of the past, release in the now, the future as both promise and threat.

Crescendo2020's picture
Crescendo2020 from Redlands, Ca is reading Not enough of all of them. February 10, 2014 - 3:37am

Dwayne- Where did you get the idea that I read Ayn Rand at all, let alone exclusively? Where is the connection between making fun of someone and reading their work? It's just a joke. So called "Anarcho-Capitalists" annoy me, so I enjoy making fun of their favorite person. Every one of them is a self-procclaimed economics expert.

Thuggish- Agreed. South Park beat me to the sentient vagina joke.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 10, 2014 - 5:19am

So, it seems like giant clits are the next big time horror thing. Good to know.

Anyway, quoting Marla Singer,

Don't be afraid. It's not a threat to you.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 10, 2014 - 7:01am

Where did you get the idea that I read Ayn Rand at all, let alone exclusively?

Umm... I assumed that wasn't what you meant, but it is what you said.

I said,

Yeah... I don't know read something else if you don't like her?

You said,

I don't care that much.

And until you got the time to read something, don't bother having uniformed opinions.  That way you'd know stuff, like that Ayn Rand rejected anarchism and the anarcho-capitalists who say they are influenced by her are cherry picking.  People who 'follow' Ayn Rand are Objectivists.  It is like making fun of Nicheie because Nazis cherry picked the parts of his writing that weren't pro Jew and anti nationalist or anti German.

@FF - I think that trend is almost over.  I mean this came out what about 3 years ago?

Dmcleod's picture
Dmcleod from Florida is reading Molloy February 10, 2014 - 7:07am

Crescendo2020's picture
Crescendo2020 from Redlands, Ca is reading Not enough of all of them. February 10, 2014 - 7:13am

I think you missed my point entirely, Dwayne. What I meant by "I don't care that much" is that I don't care about Ayn Rand's real-life persona; that I'm gonna make fun of her regardless. I am opinionless about the woman. Completely indifferent. And I only do it when Capitalism is the topic, because it's fun.

Even more, I'm still perplexed to the idea that my comment alluded to Ayn Rand being the only author I've ever read. That would be weird.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 10, 2014 - 10:55am

vagina ≠ clitoris

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal February 10, 2014 - 1:47pm

@ Flaminia

You made me laugh today because Marla Singer.

@ Otter

Yeah, sure, all of that...  I just meant that people are so often stupid and ruin a good thing for themselves.

OtterMan's picture
OtterMan from New Jersey, near Philadelphia USA is reading Ringworlds Children February 10, 2014 - 2:33pm

Yeah, sure, all of that...  I just meant that people are so often stupid and ruin a good thing for themselves.

Note the time of the post, 4AM! My inner philosopher often runs amok around then... And I agree completely.