Frederick's picture
Frederick from Southeast Connecticut is reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs By Chuck Klosterman January 5, 2012 - 2:56pm

I am several chapters into Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs and I am really enjoying it so far. I mean, the whole thing is very personal but I like his connections, philosophies, etc.

Thoughts on this guy? Any recommendations for other novels by him?

Stinson Anderson's picture
Stinson Anderson from Indiana is reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk January 5, 2012 - 3:20pm

I loved it.  But, I just started the Visible Man and I like his fiction even better.  I really enjoyed Downtown Owl.

Stinson Anderson's picture
Stinson Anderson from Indiana is reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk January 5, 2012 - 3:21pm

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break January 5, 2012 - 6:11pm

Love The Visible Man.  Finished it a week or so ago and it was pretty damn good.

CStodd's picture
CStodd from NY is reading Annie Prouxl's Fine Just the Way It Is January 5, 2012 - 6:30pm

Downtown Owl was a great. It was interesting to see him stray from commentary to fiction and he did it well. I'm currently reading Visible Man and digging it so far.

Christian Williams's picture
Christian Williams from Hyde Park, NY is reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill January 5, 2012 - 7:21pm

Fargo Rock City was excellent...especially if you spent the late '80s as a teenager

Deets999's picture
Deets999 from Connecticut is reading Adjustment Day January 6, 2012 - 10:25am

Downtown Owl was fantastic!!

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor January 6, 2012 - 10:14pm

@Christian. You can say that again. Fargo Rock City was excellent.

HoboWriterDK's picture
HoboWriterDK from Upstate, New York is reading White Teeth, by Zadie Smith January 7, 2012 - 3:39am

I haven't read any of his fiction yet but "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs" and "IV" are both excellent. I just picked up, "Eating the Dinosaur" as well.

Klosterman is incredibly insightful. Even when he's writing about something you wouldn't normally care about, there's always a decent chance he's going to drop in some line that will change the way you think about life in general. He has an article in "IV" about the Olympics that changed the way I think about ideologies (I've since decided to do everything I can to avoid them).

Stinson Anderson's picture
Stinson Anderson from Indiana is reading Choke by Chuck Palahniuk January 9, 2012 - 12:29pm

@HoboWriterDK

Now I'm going to go pull IV off my shelf and read that bit about the Olympics.  Thanks.

Frederick's picture
Frederick from Southeast Connecticut is reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs By Chuck Klosterman January 10, 2012 - 11:28am

Wow, this just made me that much more excited for his fiction. Hmmm, which to read first though..