pathetique's picture
pathetique from Seattle is reading Dead Stars October 4, 2011 - 1:43pm

My go-to recommendation is usually People of Paper. I also wish Pale Fire were more popular.

william.c.cathey's picture
william.c.cathey from Georgia is reading What Is The What October 4, 2011 - 8:44pm

Apathy and Other Small Victories -- Paul Neilan

Hilarious book if u wanna check it out..short and worthwhile..at least for a good cheap laugh

Klassy's picture
Klassy from San Francisco is reading Reamde by Neal Stephenson, and Supergods by Grant Morrison October 6, 2011 - 2:41pm

Husymans' Against Nature

Joan Lindsay's A Picnic At Hanging Rock

Hitchcock by Truffaut

We3 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely

Danny grant's picture
Danny grant October 6, 2011 - 7:03pm

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Mainly so I wouldn't have to describe the plot every time I'm asked about my tattoo. :)

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club October 7, 2011 - 2:03am

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

Although I'm sure everyone has read Romeo and Juliet, I wish more people understood it.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves when it's called a Romance.

PattiM's picture
PattiM from Traverse City, MI is reading The Contortionist's Handbook October 7, 2011 - 7:31am

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand and The World According to Garp by John Irving.

Jen Todd's picture
Jen Todd is reading your lifeline and all signs are good October 7, 2011 - 9:59am

A GIANT YES in capital and bold to What Dreams May Come. I'm sorry I left it off my list.  Also to Dead Eye Dick being overlooked and The Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Looking back at this thread and all the books haven't read, it makes me long for the the time to read.

D Michael Hardy's picture
D Michael Hardy from Tampa, FL October 7, 2011 - 10:27am

All of the books by Bret Easton Ellis. I'm so into those stories and characters and while it's nice that most of my friends read books, none of them have read anything by B.E.E. so I never have anyone to talk about them with.

pathetique's picture
pathetique from Seattle is reading Dead Stars October 7, 2011 - 12:34pm

D Michael Hardy, every time you wanna talk about BEE I am right here, on the Internet.

Sick tat, Dhanny!

MileyWrites's picture
MileyWrites from Pennsylvania October 7, 2011 - 3:05pm

Wish more people had read The Neverending Story. The movie blew. The book, however, is full of interesting stuff. Especially if you have ever studied psychology or read any Jospeh Campbell.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch October 7, 2011 - 4:33pm

Any Haruki Murakami - because I think he's not too well known here. Or is he?
My favs: Wind-Up Bird Chronicles - quite a strange mix of paranormal events and characters (veeery weird) and Japanese history (sometimes brutal). A Japanese Twin Peaks mixed with some Vonnegut?

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - maybe more for Sci-Fi fans (which I read occasionally). If you ever wondered if there was a way to be immortal by tricking your brain into thinking you are (by creating a loop of sorts), that's what happens in this book.

Nathan's picture
Nathan from Louisiana (South of New Orleans) is reading Re-reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, The Bone Weaver's Orchard by Sarah Read October 7, 2011 - 8:44pm

@Brandon -didn't see this.

Some of that could also have something to do with the way it looks -just meaning the design of it sure helps in making a case for the casual reader to crack it open. My wife who doesn't read that much, wants to read OOT based on the jacket alone -she says the design, font and colors -all of that together has a "Modern" look to it which stands out from my other books. It's the one most people at work had noticed on my desk, too.

So whoever's in charge of art and marketing on that -and I'm assuming you had final say, but that whole look worked out well. People don't think that stuff makes a difference, but it does. Plus the obvious: The actual shot of Dana, which, I can't put my finger on why, exactly, but it's intriguing.

Chris Pierce's picture
Chris Pierce from UK - Ubiquitously is reading The Brothers Karamazov October 8, 2011 - 5:15am

A Disaffection, James Kelman.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 8, 2011 - 6:15am

@Nathan

Thanks, man.

I was actually more referring to me target market, although that's a fairly loose term because the target market only became apparent to me after the book was done and I started thinking about it in promotional terms with the clubs and whatnot.

JordanJGriffin's picture
JordanJGriffin from Fresno, CA is reading William T. Vollmann - You Bright and Risen Angels October 8, 2011 - 9:23pm

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49

David Foster Wallace - The Broom of the System & Infinite Jest

Jonathan Carroll - From the Teeth of Angels

Anything by William T. Vollmann

Steve Erickson - Days Between Stations

@aliensoul77 Will Christopher Baer is also a must

and Stephen Graham Jones...and Ryu Murakami...and Vonnegut...and the list goes on and on and on...

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones October 8, 2011 - 9:28pm

LEDFEATHER -- stephen graham jones. beautiful, tight, experimental, visceral... lots of good words.

lynx_child's picture
lynx_child from Seattle is reading The Dresden Files series October 9, 2011 - 1:36am

The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

It's not a classic or "required reading for anyone who likes books or philosophy or human truths" or whatever - it's a children's chapter book.  But it continues to be one of my favorite books ever and I wish more people had read it because it's such an adventure.  It needs more love.

missesdash's picture
missesdash from Paris is reading The Informers October 9, 2011 - 10:22am

A lot of the books in this thread are classics and bestsellers, so already widely read.

@Sarah Metts I think you mean The Stranger by Camus?

Tristan Clausell's picture
Tristan Clausell from New Jersey is reading A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin October 9, 2011 - 10:42am

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Solaris - Stanislaw Lem

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - Harlan Ellison (short story, I'm cheating a bit :) )

Never Let Me Go / Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

All of these stories have shaped my life in some sort of way lol.

Door's picture
Door from Panama is reading Ender's Game October 9, 2011 - 11:05am

Anything by Enrique Jardiel Poncela. He was a Spanish humorist/absurdist from the early 20th century, and I adore his novels. Pretty inventive, full of wordplay, whimsical use of typography, little drawings even... In a way, Vonnegut reminds me of him. In fact, I first read Vonnegut earlier this year (I don't know how I could have possibly waited until now to "discover" him but I'm glad I did) and that's the first thing I thought: how his playful style is very reminiscent of Jardiel's.

His three most well-known novels are the following, but he also wrote many plays:

• Espérame en Siberia, vida mía
  • Amor se escribe sin hache
  • Pero… ¿hubo alguna vez once mil vírgenes?

I wish more people knew about him. Anytime I mention his name as one of my favorite authors, people just give me blank looks.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig October 10, 2011 - 10:29pm

To keep it short, I will say: Everything Henry Rollins has written (maybe not including Get In The Van or Fanatic!, but Hell, why not?) and The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King.

Waterhouse's picture
Waterhouse from Columbus is reading Bullet Park, John Cheever October 11, 2011 - 8:10am

Forgot one...

The Conusmer by Michael Gira (founder and leader of SWANS)

Hard, hard stuff- really well done.

Nighty Nite's picture
Nighty Nite from NJ is reading Grimscribe: His Lives and Works October 11, 2011 - 1:09pm

Pretty much books in general, as several other posters have said.

Also:

Mentioned already, but mostly anything by B.E.E., especially American Psycho and Lunar Park

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

Most of H.P. Lovecraft's work

The Nova Trilogy (The Soft Machine, The Ticket that Exploded, Nova Express) by William S. Burroughs

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk

The Blackstone Chronicles by John Saul

Jeremiah Murphy's picture
Jeremiah Murphy from Idaho is reading A Little Life October 11, 2011 - 1:33pm

I wish people would read more Vonnegut in general. There are plenty of slaughterhouse fans out there but honestly you can't go wrong with any of his books. Mother Night, Breakfast of Champions, and Cats Cradle are equally worth reading. Working my way through all of them and its awesome.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones October 11, 2011 - 1:37pm

mother night was cool, subtle. you have to be into history to like it, i think. probably why a lot of people dont

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 11, 2011 - 1:38pm

Chuck, are you posting with a cell phone?

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones October 11, 2011 - 1:59pm

why would you ask me that?

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 11, 2011 - 2:07pm

I'm standing outside the Hooters in Portland and I'm not sure if it's you or not.

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones October 11, 2011 - 2:24pm

no.... but if you're in town we should hang out.

PM me

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 11, 2011 - 3:01pm

Just messing with you.  Noticed you stopped using caps and figured you were mobile.

Alas, I've been dying to go to Portland.  If I recall correctly, Lidia Yuknavitch said a live reading would be in order should I make it over that way.  Drinks, of course, as well.

Christopher Taylor's picture
Christopher Taylor April 12, 2013 - 8:23pm

James Whyle's The Book of War. If you like Cormac McCarthy then this is for you, by one of you.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder April 12, 2013 - 9:59pm

A rebirth!

I'm going to go all radical here and espouse some non-fictional non-nonsense. Because I need all the cheerleaders I can get--although for many of you I will be preaching to the choir, given the strands of fate which bind us here in the LR community allow for certain other commonalities we're likely to share just because of what makes us tic and toc.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Reading it made me feel better.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts April 12, 2013 - 10:16pm

I think the polite answer would be that I wish more people would read books written by anyone I know, so they can get some decent recognition.

Though, truthfully, I notice the books I push to people whenever a booky conversation comes lately have been these, and they're all short story collections:

Cowboys Are My Weakness - Pam Houston

Poachers - Tom Franklin

Wrong - Dennis Cooper

Bradley Sands's picture
Bradley Sands from Boston is reading Greil Marcus's The History of Rock 'N' Roll in Ten Songs April 13, 2013 - 2:17pm

My books.

Otherwise, there aren't really any books that I wish more people would read because I don't really care. Except for maybe really good books by my friends like Cameron Pierce's Die You Doughnut Bastards.

As far as books that more people SHOULD read, Ron Loewinsohn's Magnetic Field(s).

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons April 13, 2013 - 7:05pm

Earlier someone said Sailing Alone Around the Room. This is the best book of poetry for anyone to read to help folks see poetry is cool, not hard to understand but awesome. I love all his works. Also, nobody said Tom Sawyer yet. What classics for kids to read and learn to love reading! Im also going to say The Giver by Lois Lowrey.  Currently I am pressing these books into the hands of my friends: Let theGreat World Spin by Collum Mc Cann ( AWESOME),  Them by Joyce Carol Oates and tons of short story collections from the likes of Nathan Englander and Adam Haslett.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like April 13, 2013 - 7:42pm

It's been so long since I talked to someone who had read something I recently read. That plus the fact I stopped offering unsolicited check-this-shit-outs several years ago means I'm on the verge of total uncaring. But if I had to answer, today I'd say "The Twisting of the Rope" by WB Yeats (which is just a short story, but it is one of the saddest things I ever read).

Dean Blake's picture
Dean Blake from Australia is reading generationend.com April 16, 2013 - 6:22pm

Silver Linings Playbook - Matthew Quick

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 16, 2013 - 8:15pm

The Will Christopher Baer Trilogy: Kiss Me Judas, Penny Dreadful and Hell's Half Acre.

Stephen Graham Jones: All the Beautiful Sinners.

I've given ATBS and KMJ away more than any other book. Probably 25 copies total, or more.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon April 17, 2013 - 6:28am

Totally agree with you Richard. Of SGJ's books - All the Beautiful Sinners isn't read enough.

And, of course, Baer.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics April 18, 2013 - 6:11am

After reading through these posts, I started asking myself why. What would I want to accomplish by encouraging the masses to read whichever books I may recommend? What would my goals be for the specific recommendations I'd make?

So, with that in mind I probably took my thoughts into a far more serious place than the origins of this thread intended, but came back with this:

I think people of religion (whichever they believe in) who are highly orthodox and sometimes fanatical about their beliefs, should really READ the 'holy' texts of their denomination. Cover to cover, every word, every idea and every decree. Just read it and take notes, then bring that thick stack of notes and highlight the things said, claimed, and ordered in their holy texts that don't seem to be carried into their individual lives. If they truly believe what they claim, then anything that is written in the texts but not seen in their lives is evidence of hypocrisy.

Fundamental Muslims need to read the Qur'an, and highlight the parts that say killing is an insult to Allah(obviously paraphrased but no less accurate).

Fundamental Christians need to read the Bible, and highlight the 'judge not' parts and the women shouldn't speak in church parts and the bit about stoning a woman to death if she isn't a virgin at the time of her marriage. Not that I am for stoning or any sort of subordinate treatment of women, I just think if some Christian windbag wants to say his or her bible says this and that are sins, they should also live by EVERYTHING their little book says.

Sorry for getting all soapboxy and too serious for a lighthearted discussion, I just figured if I had one chance to make people read something they don't typically read, I should recommend something that would make the most difference. To me, really reading religious texts and comparing them to one's life, highlights the hypocrisy and inconsistencies inherent in all religions, and would hopefully open more people's eyes to the fact that they are lying to themselves.

Again, sorry, please return to the conversation. Here, let me bring things back to a happier tone... I think more people should read The Snowy Day, by Ezra Jack Keats. That has always been my favorite children's book.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 17, 2013 - 10:54am

I suggested the books I did, SP, for two reasons: as a reader, people who enjoy being entertained, and want something original, not the usual dumbed-down for the masses kind of book, the titles I suggested are unique and powerful; as a writer, and I know many here are, they really show you how you can craft a hypnotic tale, and are both examples of neo-noir and genre-bending work that I love. It's not about the messages, the morality, life lessons, but the craft and the power of the words. But that's just me.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics April 17, 2013 - 11:32am

I am really sorry if my silly tirade came off as sounding like I was dissing anyone else's selections/suggestions. I had come to this thread after reading some articles about religious hate crimes in other countries and my mind was just in a certain place. I made my post as kind of a stand-alone commentary on what I was thinking about - books-wise - and why I would want more people to read them. With your response, Richard, I now see how it could have come across as me sniping at people and their recommendations. That was DEFINITELY not my intention, so I apologize for not being more thoughtful in the way I participated in the thread. Sometimes, I get in a mood and let my irritation at one thing carry its tone on to other totally unrelated aspects of life.

My bad.

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons April 17, 2013 - 2:12pm

There is joy in recommending a book to someone you know, who has similar reading tastes, and they love it too. It connects you. My truly best friends are ones who want me to recommend a book to them and talk about it. I like hearing what everyone recommends. if I know they aren't the same kind of reader as me, I disregard. But on a website for writers, I feel me all might have some similar reading interests. Plus , hearing the enthusiasm for a book, from a reader, is gladening. ( Is gladening a word?) Anyway lets keep being enthusiastic about what we love and trying to tell others why we love what we love.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon April 17, 2013 - 2:19pm

The Koran or Quran does preach punishment by destruction. A good friend's mother just passed away (yesterday actually) and had a Muslim funeral. I had to listen to the quotes read straight from the book about destroying the unbelievers and lashing the throats of those who do not believe until they accept Allah.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics April 17, 2013 - 4:01pm

Not stepping on that landmine... but I will say, read the book. Read all the books of every religion.

ADDENDUM - Cove, I want to say it is a word, but if I'm right, I think it's spelled gladdening. I could totally be wrong, though.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder April 17, 2013 - 4:57pm

Gladening should be a word, if it's not.

Definition: The installation of a glade. Useful for mindful contemplation, meditation, and generating endless, regenerative feelings of peacefulness and serenity in an otherwise distracting, often debilitating and harmful world.

In related news:

Tao Te Ching

A relatively new, accessible translation of text that is simple and timeless. Wise, more secular than not. Free of familiar knots and twists like sin, guilt, and dogmatic manipulation.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 17, 2013 - 6:47pm

no worries, SP. just addressing your question. i think it's good to ask, "Why read this?" to question what is good about a book, beyond just entertaining.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon April 18, 2013 - 5:37am

SP - I get what you were saying. And I used to say the exact same thing when people said ignorant shit about the Koran when I knew they didn't know what the hell they were talking about. Still I think it's important to at least know what you're talking about if you're going to preach holier than thou. So I still agree that you should read the book of your religion in those circumstances.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics April 18, 2013 - 6:10am

My point - again - is that there is a profound need lately for people of a particular religious bent to read all the religious texts of all the religions. Reading the texts of only one's own belief system is how people perpetuate misinformation on the subject of all other systems. If I truly wanted to 'preach' I'd cite all sorts of contradictory passages in the bible, the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon, the Torah, et cetera, ad nauseum.

I'm merely stating that when asked what book I'd recommend that is underexposed to the masses, I'd say all of the religious texts; not because I think they are all spiritually valuable, but because only by reading them all can anyone hope to see the fallacies in every single one. The more people would actually read every word of their own religion's book, as well as those of all the others, the less religious zealotry there would be to continue the major problems in the world.

If I were to do as you say, and read only the religious text of my own religion, I'd be rereading A Brief History of Time as I only worship science - even if I don't wholly understand much of it. At least with Hawking's text, zealots couldn't misrepresent its message by selectively citing certain passages while igonring their broader context.

BTW, Michael, love your post. the Tao is one book I actually keep an e-copy on my desktop because of its serene logic. I could only hope to be half as cool, calm and collected one tenth of the time.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 18, 2013 - 10:54am

SP - I totally agree with you.  Somewhat selfishly, because I love learning about religion(s) and find them fascinating for whatever sick reason.

I've read the Bible, the book of Mormon, and the Koran.  People always get confused when I tell them that Jesus is in the Koran.

WHAT THE WHAT???!!!

I know.  Crazy.

I like the stories that guide people.  I think understanding them helps me understand people.  There's a lot to learn from that stuff.  Maybe not spirituality, but at the very least a glimpse into human nature.

The most important thing I learned from the Bible was perspective.  I can look at it, and the stories contained there, and take them for what they're worth.  I understand the reasons behind why, at that time, those things were said or done.  I take a very practical approach to religion.

What was I talking about?  I'm hungry.  I'm gonna go get a Coke.