Wasteland Gems: Fiction's Post-Apocalyptic Top 10

This month sees the release of two post-apocalyptic films: the thriller World War Z and the comedy This is the End, proving that audiences still have an appetite for end-of-the-world fare. If anything, its popularity seems to be increasing. Television shows like Revolution, Falling Skies, and Defiance are all recent productions. Games like Fallout and Borderlands continue to sell well. The fact that there’s a mainstream post-apocalyptic comedy in theaters seems to say that this is a genre we’re so familiar with that parody and satire seem to be the logical next steps.

As a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, I’m happy to see it endure, especially as the flavor I grew up with (the post-nuclear war variety) almost went out of style with the Cold War. But post-apocalyptic fiction to me has never been about the apocalypse, about the collapse of society as we know it. To me it’s always always been about hope. In the midst of terrible things, the dismantling of everything we’ve come to know and depend upon, post-apocalyptic fiction focuses on not only the struggle to survive, but often the attempt to preserve or rebuild the best parts of humanity. It allows us to hold up a mirror to ourselves and see both the heights and depths of what we’re capable of.

Which brings us to my Top 10 List of Post-Apocalyptic Fiction. Keep in mind that this is my Top 10. I expect other people’s to differ. Also, I omitted any zombie fiction from this list, not because I don’t think it qualifies, but because I recently covered it in a separate column and wanted to avoid repeats. As always, I welcome your feedback in the comments.

10. Fallout

Sure, it’s a game series, but Fallout helped define the post-apocalyptic world for many people. The first game came out in 1997, so it’s firmly in the post-nuclear wasteland category of post-apocalyptia, which seems to just make it more classic. I’ve played most of the games and what I love about them, in addition to their stories, is the retro-future flavor to the world as well as the humor. The recent Bethesda additions to the series, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, immerse you even more fully into the world and let you determine the future of the American wasteland. Some of my favorite games of all time.

Buy Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition from Amazon.com

9. Watership Down

Some of you may shake your head at this choice, and it’s something I’ve said before, but Watership Down is essentially a post-apocalyptic novel that focuses on rabbits instead of humans. It’s also one of my favorite novels. Hazel’s band of rabbits may seem like little harmless fuzzy creatures, but when their warren is destroyed, they must travel their own road to find a new home while facing impossible dangers, relying on their cultural mythology for guidance, and avoiding the survivors who seek their destruction. Call me crazy, but a lot of The Walking Dead (the comic at least) owes a debt to Watership Down.

Buy Watership Down (Scribner Classics) from Amazon.com

8. The Stand

Stephen King’s epic post-apocalyptic novel has all of the classic hallmarks of the genre. Pandemic that wipes out most of the population? Check. Scrappy survivors banding together to navigate the post-collapse world? Check. Classic divide between “heroes” and “monsters?” Check. However, King injects a bit of the supernatural or spiritual to his post-apocalypse. The “good” characters are all visited by visions of Mother Abigail. The “evil” characters are called by Randall Flagg, the Man in Black. This leads to a final confrontation between both sides in Las Vegas.

Buy The Stand from Amazon.com

7. The Road Warrior

I don’t think I could create a list of post-apocalyptic fiction without The Road Warrior. The images from this movie essentially defined what the post-apocalyptic world was like when I was growing up. Post-nuclear Australia, the costumes, the vehicles, that kid with the razor boomerang. Not to mention Mel Gibson before he was a raving lunatic. We've moved on to other visions of the post-apocalypse, but this one remains a classic.

Buy Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior from Amazon.com

6. Galapagos

Perhaps an unconventional pick, but Kurt Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors, science fiction or otherwise, and Galapagos is his entry into the post-apocalyptic genre, detailing how the world changes after an economic crisis causes the collapse of modern society. Unlike many post-apocalyptic stories that seem to pin their hopes on human virtues overcoming human flaws, Vonnegut pins all the mistakes and catastrophes of the book on the human brain. The only solution? Make it smaller.

Buy Galapagos: A Novel (Delta Fiction) from Amazon.com

5. I Am Legend

The subject of a few movie adaptations, Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend remains the authoritative text. While it influenced the zombie apocalypse genre, the monsters in the novel more closely resemble vampires created by a pandemic. Unlike other post-apocalyptic tales where humans must band together and/or survive the survivors, Robert Neville, Matheson’s protagonist, appears to the be the only uninfected human left alive. As others have said, a novel that focuses on the loneliness of being one of the last humans alive.

Buy I Am Legend from Amazon.com

4. Wastelands

If you like short stories (and you should, they’re awesome) then this is the anthology for you. Editor John Joseph Adams has collected 22 post-apocalyptic stories from authors such as Stephen King, George R. R. Martin, Octavia Butler and Paolo Bacigalupi. Adams is a big post-apocalyptic fan and has put together what might be the definitive collection of the genre.

Buy Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse from Amazon.com

3. The Drowned World

This masterpiece by J. G. Ballard, which depicts a future earth where the temperature has increased and the polar ice caps have melted, is all the more chilling because it offers a glimpse at our own future. As the Earth returns to something resembling an ancient era, so too do humans seem to be regressing, having strange dreams of primeval swamps. Not the typical landscape of the post-apocalypse, but perhaps more disturbing because of it.

Buy The Drowned World: A Novel (50th Anniversary Edition) from Amazon.com

2. A Canticle for Leibowitz

What sets A Canticle for Leibowitz apart is its focus, and its humor. It centers on a tenuous Christian order in a post-apocalyptic America where books have been burned and science has been purged. If post-apocalyptic fiction mirrors back the strengths and flaws of our own society then this is something of a warning, drawing inspiration from the Dark Ages. But where some stories focus on the world and the struggle, A Canticle for Leibowitz keeps humanity firmly in view, focusing on learning and society, religion and politics in this future world that aims to tell us something about ourselves.

Buy A Canticle for Leibowitz from Amazon.com

1. The Road

When Cormac McCarthy pens a post-apocalyptic novel, you just have to pay attention. The Road is a beautifully written novel, evocative and touching and heartbreaking. McCarthy makes you feel the bleakness of the world’s ruin. His words stretch out the land around the titular road while never losing sight of the two main characters. It’s essentially the story of a father and son, and what that means in the post-apocalypse, but the world itself colors every part of the story. Highly recommended.

Buy The Road from Amazon.com

Honorable Mention: The Bible

Let’s face it, the Bible practically invented the idea of the apocalypse (though end of the world scenarios have been around for millennia—Ragnarok, the Kali Yuga, etc.). The word “apocalypse” itself comes from the Greek word for “uncovering” or “revelation” and its modern meaning comes from its association to the Christian Book of Revelation. Aside from being another end times scenario, the Book of Revelation gives us such great apocalyptic fare as The Four Horseman and the Seven Seals, and this line: “And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.” - Revelation 6:8

That's my list! What do you think? What would you subtract? What would you add? Let me know in the comments.

Rajan Khanna

Column by Rajan Khanna

Rajan Khanna is a fiction writer, blogger, reviewer and narrator. His first novel, Falling Sky, a post-apocalyptic adventure with airships, is due to be released in October 2014. His short fiction has appeared in Lightspeed Magazine, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, and several anthologies. His articles and reviews have appeared at Tor.com and LitReactor.com and his podcast narrations can be heard at Podcastle, Escape Pod, PseudoPod, Beneath Ceaseless Skies and Lightspeed Magazine. Rajan lives in New York where he's a member of the Altered Fluid writing group. His personal website is www.rajankhanna.com and he tweets, @rajanyk.

Comments

Robbie Blair's picture
Robbie Blair from lots of places is reading a whole stack of books June 18, 2013 - 11:45am

So glad Canticle for Leibowitz made the list! Too few people know it, and it's one of my favorites.

Items I'd consider adding to the list:

• 12 Monkeys
  • The Matrix (the first one; I feel in some ways I've "outgrown" the film, but it still hits a nostalgic sweetspot for me)
  • Bioshock (though hard to say for sure if it qualifies)
  • The Hunger Games
  • "The Machine Stops" by E.M. Forster
  • Battlestar Galactica (referring here mostly to the first two seasons)
  • V for Vendetta

I'm sure there are others I'd add if I could remember them, but I found those I just listed enjoyable.

Jim Carlyle's picture
Jim Carlyle from Seattle, WA is reading everything he can get his hands on June 18, 2013 - 11:57am

Just a short note: the writing the Fallout series that made it so beloved is probably not best represented by Fallout 3, which fans have pretty heavily agreed is the worst-written of the series. It has a bad habit of failing the "why did ANY of those characters do ANY of the things they did?" test, and a needlessly convoluted plot with a "tragic" ending tacked on apparently solely for the low-hanging fruit of emotional responses.

R.D. Skeat's picture
R.D. Skeat from England is reading Archangel by Robert Harris/How the Dead Live by Will Self/Sweeny Todd the String of Pearls by J.M. Rymer June 18, 2013 - 12:41pm

Threads.

Survivors.

The Changes.

The Tripods.

Day of the Triffids.

Five of my favourites.

Glenn Wofford's picture
Glenn Wofford June 18, 2013 - 1:18pm

I'd add "Alas, Babylon". It deals with the effects of a nuclear war on a small town in Florida. And "When The Wind Blows", an animated film about an old English couple who try to  survive after nukes take out the world.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like June 18, 2013 - 1:45pm

'Things to Come' --- based on a book by H.G. Wells, The Shape of Things to Come (which is probably better). Cool ideas and some interesting execution, but not an all-around amazing film. Also, even though it's on archive-dot-org, it may not actually be public domain (just so you know). Criterion Collection released an edition of it recently, so you know it's at least watchable.

eirikodin's picture
eirikodin from Auburn, NY is reading Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler June 18, 2013 - 3:05pm

Book of Eli would have been a good little addition.  Slapstick would have been a good one too as the narrator is speaking from the future and gravity is now a variable hour to hour.

Nice pick with Mad Max.  One of my favorite series of all time.

Tom1960's picture
Tom1960 from Athens, Georgia is reading Blindness by Jose Saramago June 18, 2013 - 3:32pm

Fiskadoro by Denis Johnson is one of my favorite post-apocalypse novels.  What people do after the world ends is much more interesting than what caused the end.

mumdangerous's picture
mumdangerous from Chicago IL is reading Ringworld - Larry Niven June 18, 2013 - 4:57pm

I can't stand lists like this.  It isn't because it is 'wrong' as it is clearly someone's opinion but this is pretty close to what you would get from Amazon or any other search engine.  It is just frustrating because this genre -especially in books- is so freakin deep I hate to see the same books pop on everyone's lists.  It makes me wonder how many post-apoc works the author has actually read.  At least he didn't include Hunger Games.

In any case, here are some of my favorite novels.  I know these aren't for everyone but when you've read as many post-apoc books as I have these are the most memorable.  Hopefully if you've read this far one or two will pique your interest in the genre and you can start making your own lists.

Greener Than You Think by Ward Moore.
This has to be the strangest and ultimately one ofthe most terrifying post-apoc novels ever written.  A botanist develops a chemical to make plants grow anywhere, in nearly any conditions.  It accidently gets into his yard and grass starts to take over the world.  I think the best part is that it is set in 'present day' 1947 so you see the fallout from that era.  Haunting stuff.

On the Beach by Nevil Shute
The movies didn't live up to the book, but after a nuclear war ostensibly between the US and China, Australia is left wondering what happened.  As they lose contact with the rest of the world from radiation sickness, life goes on.  Easily the saddest book I've ever read.

Earth Abides by George Stewart
Probably the most mainstream of the books on my list.  A man goes hiking and returns to find that a disease has destroyed almost the entire population of the planet.  He survives and starts rebuilding.  It is a very 'man on the street' attempt at what would REALLY happen in that scenario.

Hiero's Journey by Sterling Lanier
Unintentionally campy, this book focuses on the eponymous hero, Hiero Desteen and his journey from the wilds of what used to be Northern Canada into the rest of the world.  Along the way he rides a giant moose/horse hybrid, befriends a bear and fights evil.  Oh and he's a telepath. There is a sequel that I finally found digitally and have just started.  Lots of fun.

And finally, the strangest of the bunch and one of the strangest books I've ever read:

The Killing Star by Charles Pelligrino and George Zebrowski
It is impossible to talk about the 'plot' of this book because one as such doesn't really exist.  Let's just say that first contact with aliens goes catastrophically, apocalyptically wrong.  There is no hope, there is no quarter.  The end comes literally out of nowhere and nearly no one survives.  Also, the Titanic is discussed.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder June 18, 2013 - 5:09pm

Ah, but mumdangerous, you're the REAL reason lists like this exist: the commenter/counterpoint proffering his or her own list. Now I have even more books to check out. So thanks!

Suzanne van Rooyen's picture
Suzanne van Rooyen from South Africa is reading Silver Dream World by Neil Gaiman June 19, 2013 - 12:21am

No mention of Paolo Bacigalupi or China Mieville or Margaret Atwood?? 0.o

Favourite post-apocalyptic world: the world in Shipbreaker and The Drowned Cities.

Seb's picture
Seb from Thanet, Kent, UK June 19, 2013 - 3:45am

I'd have gone with The Last Man by Mary Shelley. Beautiful prose, a great story which many have borrowed aspects from (disease wiping out mankind, a crazed preacher leading a cult rebellion, etc.), and it was the first ever of its kind. Without it there would be no I Am Legend, nor The Road.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On June 19, 2013 - 9:53am

@mumdangerous: Good call on "On the Beach."

@Rajan: Good list. I especially loved that you didn't the neglect the bible. Seb above mentions "The Last Man," which though I've not read, I've heard it to be one of the seminal post-apocalyptic novels. But the bible is hands down the well-spring for end-times literature. And a note on The Road Warrior (possibly the best post-apoc. movie ever): It's actually better with a current viewing knowing that Mel Gibson is nuts. Try it:) The whole Mad Max trilogy is, actually.

mumdangerous's picture
mumdangerous from Chicago IL is reading Ringworld - Larry Niven June 19, 2013 - 12:41pm

@Xan: I thought about throwing Railsea out there but it is so out-there that I wasn't sure if I could even call it post-apoc.  Same with Fitzpatrick's War by Judson.  Such an amazing book, but not strictly post-apoc.

@seb: The Last Man is a great call. Unlike anything I've ever read and it is shocking that the book is nearly 200 years old.  Have you read The Purple Cloud by Shiel?

A couple of other interesting ones off the top of my head:

Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson
Again, not strictly post-apoc but the story is pretty fantastic.  A 'miracle' occurs in Europe where the entire land mass is almost immediately replaced by a jungle full of previously unknown creatures.  A scientist investigates and a lot of the big questions are asked about religion, culture and the cosmos.

Swan Song by Robert Mccammon
This isn't my favorite, heck it isn't even my favorite Mccammon book (that title goes to the most under rated book of all time, Stinger) but it has so much going on that it warrants mentioning.  After a nuclear war, survivors start to emerge from the rubble and put things back together but some people have been changed.  Full of allusions to other works (one character is named Matheson) and symbols but it never really adds up to more than its (fun) constituent parts.

Emergence by David Palmer
This one will be remembered for having a completely different narrative style. Wikipedia calls it 'verbal shorthand' as the character is seemingly narrating the events for safekeeping.  It doesn't work at first but by the time you realize who the narrator is and the bombs start to drop, you can't put it down.

Also, some books to skip no matter how they tempt you.  First and foremost, skip anything by SM Stirling.  Amazing ideas that get Mary Sued into the freaking ground.  His 'Dies the Fire' series is exhibit one of how literally anything can get published, packaged and sold.  'The Peshawar Lancers' had an amazing idea: an alternate 1900s where most of north America was destroyed by some kind of meteor strike.  However, it devolves quickly into a half assed diplomat/spy story with a weaker love story.

Zackery Olson's picture
Zackery Olson from Rockford, IL is reading pretty much anything I can get my hands on June 19, 2013 - 2:50pm

Some that I enjoyed:(I recognize that some of them aren't very good):

Swansong by Robert McCammon

Vampire Hunter D (Novels and movies) by Hideyuki Kikuchi

Akira (Anime film: not entirely sure that counts as post-apocalyptic or maybe just distopian, but the two seem to cross paths often anyway.)

A Pail of Air by Fritz Leiber (Short story)

Appleseed (Anime movie)

We're Alive (It's ann audio drama podcast; it is about the zombie apocalypse, but it's still worth mentioning here.)

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison (Short story)

A Boy and His Dog by Harlan Ellison (Short story)

The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher

Resident Evil movies

Genesis by Bernard Beckett

Transubstantiate by Richard Thomas

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell (Another  zombie apocalypse novel, but worth mentioning as I almost never see it mentioned, and it's a quality novel.)

Some others that I've heard good things about (and aren't mentioned here):

The Postman by David Brynn (It's apparently superior to the movie.)

The Wild Shor Tryptich by Kim Stanley Robinson

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

The Passage by Justin Cronin (Vampire apocalypse, sort of.)

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson

Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick

Love in the Ruins by Walker Percy

In the Drift by Michael Swanwick

City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau

Tea from an Empty Cup by Pat Caddigan

Uglies (etc.) by Scott Westerfeld

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

As far as the original list resembling one that you'd find on Amazon or some such place: you have to start somewhere right? And he did say that this was his personal list, not an exhaustively researched best-of-all-time sort of list.

mumdangerous's picture
mumdangerous from Chicago IL is reading Ringworld - Larry Niven June 19, 2013 - 5:19pm

Great call on The Passage, though I'd like to see how all three books play out before I give it the thumbs up.  I read the first book in a weekend, just devoured it.  It was incredible.  The second book was cool, but it just didn't have the immediacy of the first.

Some sites that just pump-and-dump lists solely because the SEO team says 'LISTS ARE GREAT!  HAVE SOMEONE WRITE UP A LIST!  IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT! TOP 10 BLANKS THAT BLANK BLANK!'  Then they run out and find someone to write it.  I don't know the author of this post, nor do I personally blame him for this.  Hell, he's got a writing gig here so he's got to have some credentials.  And yes, the poster above is right.  Lists are meant to 'start a discussion' (drive pageviews).

But this one drives me nuts because frankly it just seems like the author isn't the best person to write it.  Why post a list at all if you can google search and get the same results somewhere else?  If you want to just make it a discussion, say that.  Here is a perfect example: if someone asked me to write a list of the top 10 YA books of all time, I'd be in a pinch.  I've never read one.  (Except the Chocolate War.  Does that count?)  But, with a bit of digging and my limited knowledge, I could come up with a decent list. Throw in The Bible like so many literature lists do and it is article worthy?  Or, I dunno, figure out a way to farm out article submissions.  Contact folks that have a vested interest in writing it (writers in the same genre, editors, etc).

So when someone makes a list of books in probably the only genre of books I have any knowledge about, I thought it was worth mentioning that there are far, far better starting points and a much wider range of books than what is in this list.  Again, no offense and I'm glad the discussion is interesting.  I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Zackery Olson's picture
Zackery Olson from Rockford, IL is reading pretty much anything I can get my hands on June 19, 2013 - 8:48pm

I do see your point about top ten lists. I have a love-hate relationship with them myself. Personally, I'm cool with anything that adds a few titles to my seemingly neverending list of books to read. This site alone is responsible for adding several dozen (and that's a conservative estimate).

Also, in my previous post, forgot about one: the 'Days of Future Past' storyline from Uncanny X-Men. I loved it in the comics and also enjoyed the animated series version, and with the recent excellence of the Marvel movie franchise, I even have some hopes that the film adaptation won't suck.

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon June 20, 2013 - 1:19am

I really, really liked 'Emergence' by David R Palmer.

Sadly, that book seems to have completely disappeared from the face of the earth. Which is really sad, because it belongs in my cavernous sci-fi iPad library.

Johann Thorsson's picture
Johann Thorsson from Reykjavik, Iceland is reading Echo Lake June 20, 2013 - 2:17am

This list needs more Day of the Triffids.

That is all.

Jane Wiseman's picture
Jane Wiseman from Danville Virginia is reading The Women in the Castle, by Jessica Shattuck June 20, 2013 - 9:36am

Margaret Atwood for sure: "Oryx and Crake," "The Year of the Flood," and don't forget "The Handmaid's Tale. " When is she going to finish the last of the Maddadam trilogy? Please say she hasn't discarded the idea of writing it!

So glad a few of you put "A Canticle for Leibowitz" on your lists-- I never hear anyone talking about  that fascinating book any more.

"Fiskadoro"!!!!!! Tom, you are hard core! I'm too daunted by its difficult style to put that one on any list of mine.

China Mieville for sure.

"Lord of the Flies"

Kazuo Ishiguro, "Never Let Me Go"-- or is that better classified as dystopian?

Right now I'm reading Hugh Howey's "Wool," but I don't think it will make it to my "best of" list.

I'm going right out now to read "A Boy and His Dog." I loved the quirky movie version. Didn't it star Don Johnson before his "Miami Vice" days?

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On June 20, 2013 - 11:00am

Reading Wool too, and though it's fine (so far), it wouldn't go on my list.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder June 21, 2013 - 9:56am

Wool is proof positive that bottling the zeitgeist and putting together something coherent and modestly compelling can have a tremendous impact in the world of self-publishing. That this happens is not new news. But I draw inspiration, if not monetary compensation, from the idea of the internet as a great democratizer, which Wool is an example of. And ironically, another example that self-publishing is not the end of the world for writers or readers (haha).

At least he's a better writer than Meyer. But yeah, other than the silos, there's not a lot of depth in Wool.

Overall, just wanted to say I'm enjoying this thread.

And everyone should read:

A Canticle for Leibowitz
The Road
Wastelands
The Stand
On the Beach

Of those I've read and that are mentioned here, those are the works I'd pull out as the best of the bunch. Of course, there are lots of mentions I'll be adding to my to-read list.

mumdangerous's picture
mumdangerous from Chicago IL is reading Ringworld - Larry Niven June 20, 2013 - 9:06pm

I knocked out Wool and it's prequels in less than a week of train rides to and from work.  It loses steam in the prequels by switching to narratives that don't have any place in those books.  I think he took the Stephen King mantra of 'in order to scare someone, bore them' as a way to write a thriller.

I came back to add one more book to the thread that I forgot about:  The Genocides by Thomas Disch.  I can't believe I didn't mention it.  DO NOT read anything about it.  Just find it, pick it up and start reading.  Easily the most bizarre, dark and depressing post-apoc book I've ever read.  It is one that you finish and you wonder if the author was just bat-sh*t insane.

Good call on X-Men DoFP.  As far as comics go, there aren't a lot of great post-apoc stories that don't involve zombies.  If you want a 'What if the Justice League were alive at the end of the world?' book, check out Remender's 'End League.'

Horror writer Jonathan Mayberry did a series called 'Marvel Universe Vs.' about a biological weapon that is released in Manhattan that turns everyone (including many heros) into cannibals.  If the idea of The Punisher trying to take down a deeply unhinged Spider-Man leading a tribe of cannibals doesn't pique your interest, I'm not sure what will.

Batman: No Man's Land is an incredible idea: Gotham is hit with a series of disasters and cut off from the rest of the USA.  There is no law or order, everything is up for grabs.  It was decent but it falls into the same trap that every DC comic falls into: too much fan service to minor DC characters.  A lot of it went in one ear and out the other to me.

Brian Wood's DMZ is a similar take: the US erupts into civil war and New York city becomes a demilitarized zone and is walled off.  The story follows an embedded reporter inside the walls.  A lot of it works really well, but ultimately not my thing.

However, if you want the best post-apoc comic book story ever written, look no further than Old Man Logan.  It is one of the most fun and truly epic superhero storylines ever written.  It includes probably the most shocking reveal I've ever read in a comic book.

Jane Wiseman's picture
Jane Wiseman from Danville Virginia is reading The Women in the Castle, by Jessica Shattuck June 21, 2013 - 1:04am

And instead of "Twelve Monkeys," how about going back to the core and watching the haunting  "La Jetee."? (Sorry there's no accent mark--can't make my iPad do that.)

Konstantine Paradias's picture
Konstantine Paradias July 3, 2013 - 4:52am

What? No cat's cradle? No mention of Cormac McCarthy's the road? Not a word about the day of the Triffids? Come on guys...

Russell Ackerman's picture
Russell Ackerman July 27, 2014 - 6:40am

If you like post - apocalyptic fiction, check out my Google Book "The Walker in the Dust", it's about a man in the nuclear wasteland who searches for meaning after the death of his wife, finding it in unexpected places.  It's not like other wordy writing, it's very essentialist.

It's FREE : )

rajanyk's picture
rajanyk August 7, 2014 - 4:37pm

@Konstantine - just seeing this now but The Road is actually #1 on that list.