NaNoWriMo Hangover: 8 Steps to Recovery

16 comments

If you’ve been writing for any amount of time, then you’ve probably heard of National Novel Writing Month aka NaNoWriMo. The premise is simple: write 50,000 words in thirty days. The execution? Not so simple. Work ethic notwithstanding, there’s not many people built to write a solid first draft in thirty days or less. Other things like day jobs, family obligations, and the Thanksgiving holiday tend to serve as additional hurdles. I’ll be blunt here and just say it: I don’t like this system. I like its intentions—promoting a sense of urgency in one’s writing—but I don’t think rushing through a novel where word count is valued over quality should be encouraged. And celebrating reaching a certain amount of words feels like an empty victory. At best, most NaNoWriMo “winners” have an extremely rough draft at the end of the month, but nothing close to a finished novel. Only the likes of Joyce Carol Oates or Stephen Graham Jones can pull that off.

Regardless of my personal feelings towards NaNo, I know people participate and are looking for a little direction come December 1st when the party is over and reality sets in. You may have written a complete draft in one month, but the subsequent cleanup process will take the better part of a year. Here’s your eight-step guide to shaking off the hangover of NaNoWriMo.

1) Take a break

Seriously, just step the hell away. You’ve been eating, breathing, and living this book for thirty days straight. You are now officially what we in the industry call “too close” to the project, and maybe a little burned out, too. The last thing you should be doing right now is trying to edit or do rewrites.

A novel written in a sprint leads to a decathlon of rewrites and editing.

2) Cleanse your palate

Read a book that’s not yours. Netflix binge Jessica Jones. Play Star Wars Battlefront. Do something that puts a mental distance between you and the novel you’ve been obsessing over for the past month. Take two weeks. Or three. Take as long as you need to. The goal here is to de-familiarize yourself with the project so that when you go back you’ll have fresh eyes.

3) Read through and try not to cry

Okay, so it’s been a few weeks and you’ve finally reached a point where the novel isn’t at the forefront of your mind. It’s time to read this thing, which leads us to one of the tougher moments of a NaNo hangover. Odds are, what you’re about to ingest is going to be terrible. It will be sloppy and littered with mistakes and plot holes and undeveloped characters. This should come as no surprise, because this is exactly what happens when you rush through something in a fraction of the time you’re supposed to spend on it. A novel written in a sprint leads to a decathlon of rewrites and editing. Let that sobering fact wash over you and try not to give up hope.

4) Don’t do anything stupid

Don’t delete your manuscript or give up; you just spent a month on this thing. Don’t ask anyone else to read it or workshop it; you’d be wasting their time. Don’t submit it to any presses or agents; you’re just clogging up the queue for people who actually put in the effort to turn in a polished manuscript. Don’t self-publish it and fist pump on social media about how you have a new book out; you’re the reason we can’t have nice things.

5) Salvage the story

Somewhere in this first draft are the bones of a novel. There’s a beginning, middle, and end. Start the salvaging process with a chapter-by-chapter outline in which you succinctly summarize everything you’ve written so far. Focus on plot and narrative for the time being. The goal is to transition your 50,000 mess into a 2-3 page document that cleanly breaks down your novel. This is going to be your roadmap for when you hit the writing trail again. In addition to the outline, you should also track a list of amendments/major corrections. I’m not talking about little grammatical things. Worry about that later. Focus on identifying plot holes and inconsistencies. For any given chapter, you should have two sections: an outline of what you did and a plan of what you’re going to do when you attempt your rewrite.

6) Chapter one

Have the following three docs open: your NaNoWriMo draft, your chapter-by-chapter outline, and a brand new blank document for your rewrite. I strongly suggest that you not attempt to edit your first draft and treat this like a true top-to-bottom rewrite. Better that you think of this as building something new as opposed to fixing something that’s broken. Now, write your first chapter, but this time do it deliberately. Don’t worry about time or word count. Go slow, focusing on the quality of the prose. You’re no longer operating under the rules of NaNo where you have to forcibly crap out the words, so being able to take your time should be a welcome reprieve.

7) Feedback

Once you’ve made chapter one as perfect as you can make it, you might consider having someone look it over. This could either be a non-interested 3rd party, a fellow writer, or under the huge magnifying glass that is a writers’ workshop (we have a good one right here on the site). You might think it’s a bit early for this, but chapter one is the tone-setter, and if something’s wrong with chapter one then you’re going to have subsequent issues as the novel progresses. So don’t be afraid to let people beat the hell out of this thing. Find out if it hooks. Ask about pace/tone/voice. Get opinions from people who aren’t afraid to hurt your feelings. Why is this so important? Because chapter one is what gets sent out to agents so they can decide if they want to read the rest of the work. Chapter one is what people browsing books peruse to decide if they want to purchase the entire novel. It’s arguably the most important chapter of any given novel, so work the hell out of it.

8) Write, edit, repeat

After you’ve put together a thoroughly ripped-apart-and-built-stronger-than-ever chapter one, feel free to move on. Keep referring back to your NaNo draft and chapter-by-chapter outline while applying the feedback you received on chapter one. Again, be deliberate. You’re not on the clock anymore. Write the chapter, then edit, but you can hold off on workshopping/beta reading until you’re confident you have a fully polished manuscript. That will be the next step once you’ve completed the very long road of rewriting your novel. This final step should take many months—possibly more than a year—to get through.

I wish you the very best of luck with your rewrites, edits, and what have you. Hopefully, this list proves helpful. If you participated in NaNoWriMo and would like to share your thoughts on it, we’d love to hear from you.

Comments

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami December 8, 2015 - 2:21am

In fact I think the fact that I used a chapter-by-chapter outline before writing my first novella (that took two years to merge two novelettes) really helped me figure out how to put into an actual story the character brewing in my head sense 2009.

Even still I think it may have took upwards 13 drafts or so. I think by then I was ready to be done with it and write something else.

But yes, edit edit it.

OfficialCarolBlankATM's picture
OfficialCarolBl... March 14, 2022 - 5:37pm

I want to testify about Dark Web blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so much testimony about how Dark Web hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich.
Email : carolblankatmcard@gmail.com

Hangout : carolblankatmcard@gmail.com

What'sApp : +393512615163

They also sent me the blank atm card. I have used it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. The Dark Web is giving out cards just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of an atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

Anonymous1's picture
Anonymous1 May 24, 2022 - 6:44am

GET QUICK MONEY WITH HACKED BLANK ATM CARD. WhatsApp: +12623558285
If you are in any debt and you need MONEY to clear your DEBTS and you need money to pay off those bills i will advise you contact GEORG BEDNORZ HACKED BLANK ATM CARD SERVICE to get a BANK TRANSFER HACKED or HACKED BLANK ATM CARD . I can boldly testify about Georg Bednorz Blank ATM CARDS which can withdraw money from any ATM machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about Georg Bednorz HACKED BLANK ATM so i decided to an email to know more about the ATM BLANK CARD and how to use it to collect money in any ATM machine and also become rich so I email them VIA (georgbednorzhackers@gmail.com ) to cut my story short i was sent my own HACKED ATM CARD after I applied with them I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. they are reliable and trustworthy don't SEARCH no more, contact them today and get paid also . Below is their information:
EMAIL:georgbednorzhackers@gmail.com
PHONE NUMBER:+12623558285
WHATSAPP:+12623558285

Anonymous1's picture
Anonymous1 May 24, 2022 - 6:44am

GET QUICK MONEY WITH HACKED BLANK ATM CARD. WhatsApp: +12623558285
EMAIL:georgbednorzhackers@gmail.com
PHONE NUMBER:+12623558285
WHATSAPP:+12623558285

Manuel Franco's picture
Manuel Franco August 18, 2022 - 11:58pm

I just want to say Thank You to everyone who supported me through the years. My name is Manuel Franco, New Berlin, Wisconsin. My story of how I won the Powerball lottery of $768.4M is a bit of a tale. I have been playing Powerball tickets for 6 years now since I turned 18. I bought my first ticket on my 18 birthday. I was feeling very lucky that day because I had contacted Dr. Odunga to help me with the winning Powerball numbers. I really had that great great feeling that I looked at the camera wanting to wink at it. I only did a tiny part of it and trusted him. He gave me the numbers after I played a couple other tickets along with it for $10. I checked my ticket after the winnings came online and saw the numbers were correct including the Power play. I screamed for about 10 minutes because it felt like a dream. I had won $768.4M. You can check my winning testimony with the lottery officials just with my name search. Thank you Dr. Odunga. Well, his email is odungaspelltemple@gmail.com and you can also call or Whats-app him at +2348167159012 so you guys can contact him

Julia Benedict's picture
Julia Benedict August 22, 2022 - 9:00pm

You might have already be scammed by an imposter who you fell in love with, or an unregulated crypto broker. People that fall for such frauds don't always consider the fact that they can get assistance for this. They think that people will laugh at them.
But, this doesn't mean that you should just ignore it, and try to go on with your life. This is not something you are going to forget over night and it may affect you in a lot of ways. The good news is that with the technology that we have today, it is a lot easier to get assistance after falling for this type of scams.

This is the good news. It is actually possible for crypto fraud victims to get their money back after being scammed.
The secret is that you should just know where to find the right assistance for this scams.
I went through similar situation and i met a hacker who helped me out. be rest assured your lost or stolen funds will be recovered back to either your wallet or bank account depending on how you want to receive it. contact them here if you are in similar situation.
website: https://albarshazom.wixsite.com/blockwiz
Email: blockchain@cyber-wizard.com
Tel: +1 (352) 443-8803 (whatsapp only)

Manuel Franco's picture
Manuel Franco September 16, 2022 - 1:14pm

caluanieheavyhater1's picture
caluanieheavyhater1 October 30, 2022 - 12:36am

Buy liquid k2 spice paper | Buy K2 Infused Paper Online

Buy K2 Paper online at cheap prices. Each A4 sheet infuses with 25 ml=0.845351 fluid Oz of liquid K2. You can buy the legal infused A4 plain paper or already presoaked paper. We have special A4 K2 infused paper sheets for sale at low cheap prices. K2 spice paper, K2 paper either way is so strong and it will blow your mind off. We are always at your order if you want to Buy our Legal High K2 Spice Infused and soaked papers online.

https://www.fmtmedicalstore.com/product/ buy-jwh-018-online/
https://www.fmtmedicalstore.com/product/ fentanyl-powder/

caluanieheavyhater1's picture
caluanieheavyhater1 October 30, 2022 - 12:37am

Buy liquid k2 spice paper | Buy K2 Infused Paper Online

Telegram:@williamshill3

WhatsApp number: +1 (970) 439-2176

Website: www.fmtmedicalstore.com/

However, we have many flavors and or types you can choose from. Note that, the liquid incense use to infuse the papers is very a clear liquid incense which is non-scented or unscented. Moreover, all our top Legal High K2 papers is listed below :

Bizzaro Liquid Incense infused A4 k2 paper

White Tiger liquid incense infused A4 k2 paper

Telegram:@williamshill3

WhatsApp number: +1 (970) 439-2176

Website: www.fmtmedicalstore.com/

RAYMO787's picture
RAYMO787 October 30, 2022 - 8:48pm

When I lost my money to online scammers through crypto investment ,I never thought I could ever retrieve back my money again but I decided to give it a try after my Inlay introduced me to this incredible honest hacker that she had worked with to retrieve back her bitcoin when she mistakenly sent to a wrong wallet address when trying to make payment to someone , so when I brought up the issue of me loosing money to an online investment in a dinner at my place she was curious to hear how it happened and it turned out she still had the hackers contact which she provided me with later on , I reached out the next morning an provided the transaction hash , wallet address of the scammers and the website , I was surprised after receiving the first half of my money within just 48 hours and the rest is being traced back to the second wallet address I made payment to , reclaimcryptoagent1 @gmail .COM brought my hope of living back to life because I never thought of what I could have done if I wasn�t able to recover this money back , this includes my retirement funds , I�m so grateful to the team for their effort and good service , Wats app +1 614 526 8251

mateo vidal's picture
mateo vidal December 7, 2022 - 4:08am

GOOD DAY, I'm here to bring you good news from PROF CINDY INVESTMENTS Loan Offer, Blank ATM Cards And Bitcoin Investments. Have you been trying to get a real Loan lender, I got my business loan amount $640,000.00 from Prof.Cindy Alberto LAST WEEK to start up business. Do you need a blank ATM Card or bitcoin and it has been a problem trying to get one? Here is Prof Cindy Investments Blank ATM Card Offer, Loan Offer, Bitcoin/Recovery Offer easy and affordable to get and it can be delivered to you waiting 24hrs after you have made your order from her by Email profcindyinvestments@hotmail.com

christinastrickland's picture
christinastrickland January 5, 2023 - 11:43am

Good day everyone! I’m Christina Strickland from Dearborn, Michigan, USA. I wish to share with you all about Wardrivers Cyber. A few months ago, I was putting my money into an online BTC investment plan and I got scammed of about $47,000. I was in debt and financial loss until I came across an article about Wardrivers Cyber. I reached out to them about my situation and they were able to recover all the funds I had lost to the swindler. I’m full of excitement and thought it would be best to share this news with everyone out there who might be in similar situations. I know how shameful it is to lose money to swindlers but with a good and reliable company such as Wardrivers Cyber, there is a 100% guarantee your money will be recovered back. Their direct email is wardriverscyberservice(@)techie.com

christinastrickland's picture
christinastrickland January 5, 2023 - 11:44am

heartlandloancenter4's picture
heartlandloancenter4 January 6, 2023 - 6:40pm

HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM
HEAD OFFICE --52, South Campbell Springfield UNITED KINGDOM
E-MAIL ADDRESS - {heartlandloancenter4@gmail.com}
=============================
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-**-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
You are welcome to HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM ,our obligation is
helping the needy to gain financial stability in order to meet with the demands of living.
And helping those who are in financial crises.

We give out loans from the range of $1,000 to $90,000,000.Our loans
are well insured and maximum security is our priority,at an interest
of 1.2% rate.

We give out our Loan in USD($) and GBP(£) and any currency of your choice.

* Project Loans
* Personal loans
* Debt consolidation loans
* Car Loans
* Business loans
* Education loans
* Mortgage loans
* Refinance loans
* Home loans

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
* Are you financially Squeezed?
* Do you seek funds to pay off credits and debts
* Do you seek finance to set up your own business?
* Are you in need of private or business loan for various purposes?
* Do you seek loan to carry out large projects
* Do you seek funding for various other

if you need loan you can contact us via our email address—{heartlandloancenter4@gmail.com}

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-**-*-
Get affordable Loan from HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM .

LOAN BENEFIT
*Available 24hours/7days
*Loan is offer to individual/corporate worldwide
*No Collateral Required.
*Interest Rate of 1.2%.
*Loan Amount: $1000 USD and above.
*Loan Repayment Schedule Start 8 months after.
*Loan Repayment Grace Period of 8 months.

*Payment is made to applicant via

Wire Transfer (E-Banking) (20 minutes)
Bank to bank  transfer (2 hours)
Western union or money gram (5 minutes)

THANKS
CHARLENE TAYLOR
{heartlandloancenter4@gmail.com}
www.heartlandloan.webs.com
HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM

heartlandloancenter4's picture
heartlandloancenter4 January 6, 2023 - 6:40pm

HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM
HEAD OFFICE --52, South Campbell Springfield UNITED KINGDOM
E-MAIL ADDRESS - {heartlandloancenter4@gmail.com}
=============================

Welcome to HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM, we provide loans from the
Range from $900 to $900,000,000 At 2% interest rate.
We offer all types of loans below -

* Project Loans
* Personal loans
* Debt consolidation loans
* Car Loans
* Business loans
* Education loans
* Mortgage loans
* Refinance loans
* Home loans

kindly apply by filling the details below -

Name......
Country......
Amount of Loan Needed .....
Telephone number......

THANKS
CHARLENE TAYLOR
{heartlandloancenter4@gmail.com}
www.heartlandloan.webs.com
HEARTLAND LOAN FIRM

Magret Souk's picture
Magret Souk January 26, 2023 - 3:09am

i want to quickly leave this review here, sometime last month i was convinced to invest in Bitcoin Binary, i didn't know how to do it so i met a firm online and i was happy i never knew that was the beginning of my destruction i trusted him and i invested with them, unluckyling for me i was scammed all of my coins, as if that was not enough i tried to recover them i was advised by a friend of mine we met online and have been very good to me though have never met her, i took her advice and she directed me to a bitcoin hacker who can help me recover my lost BTC i contacted him and he took away my $23,000 trying to recover my lost bitcoin, she was working with him at this point i had lost it all, then again something keep on telling me not to give up that i can get my money back, i decided to go spiritual this time i met a spell caster i read people commenting that he helped them win lottery with spell cast, i contacted him again though this was different and i explain my story to him he consoled me and promise me victory, i did all he ask of me and said my bitcoin with be restored to me in no time, i was actually waiting for a miracle, the next morning i got an email from the bitcoin scammer that he has been seeing me in his dream every night that i have be chasing him and for real he keep seeing me day and night, i thought it was all a joke till his parent and siblings also called that i should save their son he is not talking anymore just laying dead but alive, at this point i was feeling bad and scared i don't want to kill anyone, so i called Dr Dominion and told him the situation and he said he will remain like that till he return my BTC, to cut the whole story short, Dr Dominion restored him and immediately he returned my BTC, now he is working on the fake hacker who took my money i will come back to let you all know once he is done with him. meanwhile if there is any of your there looking for help to recover your BTC Dr Dominion is the best solution believe it or leave it. here is his contact you can reach out to him for help.
Email: dominionlottospelltemple@gmail.com