Worst Master's Degree For Getting A Job: Library & Information Science, Says Forbes

6 comments
 Library & Information Science Worst Master's Degree

via Forbes

According to a recent study by Forbes, getting a master's degree in Library & Information Science is a good way to not make any money, ever. It's the degree with the lowest pay rank, and the worst estimated growth rank.

More, from Forbes

“Library and information science degree-holders bring in $57,600 mid-career, on average. Common jobs for them are school librarian, library director and reference librarian, and there are expected to be just 8.5% more of them by 2020.”

The best? Physician Assistant Studies, with a mid-career median pay of $97,000. Let's all go be doctors!

Kidding. This should just make us respect librarians more. It's a labor of love. It should also make us sad, because it's another indicator of how badly libraries are struggling.

Anyone studying, or have studied for, this degree? Anyone planning on it? Does this affect your decision?

Comments

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer June 19, 2012 - 11:58am

I would think if you were considering that type of career, it would be done more out of love than out of any expectation of financial gain. You get in to the same situation as any other position related to the arts. You just aren't going to get paid well unless you score some big gig.

Pau Ojeda's picture
Pau Ojeda from Monterrey, México is reading Anna Karenina June 19, 2012 - 1:24pm

Really sad information for a librarian wannabe. Plus, if those are the statistics for the US, I don't imagine how bad they'll be for México. A crying shame.

It kinda makes me want to be the best librarian out there, thou. Show others that the cash ain't that big of a deal when you do what you love.

LIBRARIANS UNITE.

Razvan Teodor Coloja's picture
Razvan Teodor Coloja June 19, 2012 - 1:26pm

Just wanted you all to know I have a degree in library and information science. Well, fuck.

Stacy_R_Haynes's picture
Stacy_R_Haynes from North Charleston, SC is reading Coffee Break Screenwriter June 19, 2012 - 2:43pm

I worked in academic libraries for years, and thought of obtaining a MLS for job promotion purposes, but changed my mind. The division between professional and para-professional in some places is huge.

I did want to learn more about archiving, but more for film purposes or working in a film library.

SammyB's picture
SammyB from Las Vegas is reading currently too many to list June 20, 2012 - 3:52am

I was planning on getting my Masters in this, but not now. In fact, I have no idea what to get my graduate degree in. Part of me wants an MFA, but I teach high school English. So, I think I might end up getting it in Middle Grade and Young Adult Literature. Maybe? I have a degree in film as well. Maybe I should do a combined studies? Haha

paigekniola's picture
paigekniola from Indiana is reading Anna Karenina June 20, 2012 - 6:50am

When I read the headline on facebook my only words were "fantastic." Sarcastically, of course because after taking a year off of school I had finally found my true calling. A library sciences degree. This doesn't change my decision though, its not about the money. Books are my passion, and I want to pass that down to anyone that comes into the library I will work at!