What Did Everyone Get For The Holidays?

22 comments
Holiday Book and Gifts

It looks to be a slow week in Ye Olde Publishing Industry, so hows about a little game of Show and Tell? Those tireless Knights of the News, Brandon Tietz and Rob W. Hart, are champing at the bit to show off their Holiday wares, but reciprocity is the name of the game, so you have to show us yours in return. Sound fair? Have at you!

Brandon Tietz

• Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk
    Getting a Palahniuk book has become my proverbial Christmas tradition. I always end up asking for the one I loaned out and never got back.
  • A Visit From the Good Squad by Jennifer Egan
    This one has been on my wish list for a while, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Glad to finally have it.
  • The Visible Man by Chuck Klosterman
    Such a shame I've never read a Klosterman book. Yet another author I've heard nothing but good things about. Plus, the man has a fucking epic beard.
  • Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
    You really can't go wrong with Loeb and Lee. I've flipped through this thing already and it might move up to #1 in my queue based on the art alone.

Rob W. Hart

I got four books this Christmas that I am extremely excited about.

• The Physics Book: From the Big Bang to Quantum Resurrection, 250 Milestones in the History of Physics by Clifford Pickover
    This is exciting for me because I am a giant nerd. Tachyons!
  • Two Trains Running by Andrew Vachss
    I am a huge fan of Vachss and I will read anything he writes. I acknowledge he can be a little one-note, but his is supposedly outside of his wheelhouse--political corruption in a 1959 mill town.
  • Momufuku Milk Bar by Christina Tosi
    Not only can I now make things like crack pie and cereal milk ice cream, this book has an introduction written by the chef, Christina Tosi, and I love when passionate people write about food. It is the only thing that unites every culture. Also, I like tasty food.
  • Spanish Blood by Raymond Chandler
    My favorite gift- a first-edition hardcover of Spanish Blood by Raymond Chandler. The cover is a little beat up, but overall, it's in really good shape. Part of me is afraid to read it, but the other part of me, the part that'll win, is going to pour a glass or rye and sit in my easy chair and read the thing in a single night.

Your turn, kiddies. What did Santa/Kwanzaa-Bot/Hanukka Harry bring you? Let us know in the comments (and post pics if you got 'em!)

Author: Jennifer Egan
Price: $13.38
Publisher: Anchor (2011)
Binding: Paperback, 352 pages
Author: Jeph Loeb
Price: $19.16
Publisher: DC Comics (2009)
Binding: Paperback, 320 pages
Author: Andrew Vachss
Price: $11.32
Publisher: Vintage Crime/Black Lizard (2006)
Binding: Paperback, 464 pages
Image of Spanish Blood: A collection of Short Stories
Author: Raymond Chandler
Price:
Publisher: The World Publishing Company (1946)
Binding: Hardcover, 221 pages
Jacey Cockrobin

News by Joshua Chaplinsky

Joshua Chaplinsky is the Managing Editor of LitReactor.com. He is the author of ‘Kanye West—Reanimator’ and the story collection 'Whispers in the Ear of A Dreaming Ape.' His short fiction has been published by Vice, Vol. 1 Brooklyn, Thuglit, Severed Press, Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing, Clash Books, Pantheon Magazine and Broken River Books. Follow him on Twitter at @jaceycockrobin. More info at joshuachaplinsky.com.

Comments

NotMarilyn's picture
NotMarilyn from Twin Cities, MN is reading Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn December 27, 2011 - 11:09am

I also received Lullaby, and it was also a replacement for one I loaned out. This one I've loaned twice. I'm thinking of printing library cards and charging late fees.

American Psycho by BEE

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 27, 2011 - 11:14am

The Huston book is great! Enjoy.

Mousyman's picture
Mousyman from Wisconsin is reading Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut, The Lone Ranger and Tanto Fist Fight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie, and The Erevis Cale Trilogy by Paul S. Kemp December 27, 2011 - 11:21am

The Mighty Spice Cook Book by John Gregory-Smith:
A surprise book from my brother that knows how interested I am in cooking with bold flavor combinations. I've glanced through it and there are a lot of simple and interesting recipes with explanations of all the spices used throughout the book.

The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales:
I haven't read nearly enough of these over the years, so there is no better time to start taking them down one at a time.

The Twilight War & Erevis Cale Trilogies by Paul S. Kemp:
Paul is an amazing fantasy writer and I'm looking forward to reading more of his Forgotten Realms novels.

The Tibetan Book Of The Dead:
Ancient texts are always interesting, especially when you started reading about Buddhism in the 8th grade.

postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words December 27, 2011 - 11:33am

I didn't get any books this year (which makes it unique since entering adolescence), but I did clear off my bookshelves by giving away lots and lots of stuff - most of it went to the library, but others got to score some pretty decent stories that I wasn't going to keep around much longer anyway.

I gave my copy of Lullaby to the library. I liked it enough, but it wasn't among my favourites of Chucks.

NotMarilyn's picture
NotMarilyn from Twin Cities, MN is reading Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn December 27, 2011 - 12:11pm

@Rob - I've been asking for this one for a while. I'm excited about starting it.

Ron's picture
Ron December 27, 2011 - 12:12pm

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

And after reading the first chapter on my Mac's kindle app I just had to get The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! December 27, 2011 - 12:48pm

I got three inscribed books for xmas all the way from the lovely St Helens book shop

Fugitives and Refugees by Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

The Chronology of Water by Lidia Yuknavitch

I already owned these book but, hey... they're inscribed...to me...yay !! :D

Keith's picture
Keith from Phoenix, AZ is reading Growing Up Dead in Texas by Stephen Graham Jones December 27, 2011 - 12:56pm

Pulphead by John Jeremiah Sullivan

The Ecstasy of Influence by Johnathan Lethem

Empire State by Adam Christopher

Marv's picture
Marv December 27, 2011 - 1:02pm

"Maelstrom" by Peter Watts

"Blindsight" by Peter Watts

"River of Gods" by Ian McDonald

And Super Mario 3D Land. Great, relaxing game :P

Sharayah Dutton Pranger's picture
Sharayah Dutton... from Pacific Northwest is reading On the Road (Jack Kerouac), Taking Charge of Your Fertility, The Fables series December 27, 2011 - 1:46pm

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Cemetery Girl by David Bell

Fables vol. 1 & 2 by Bill Willingham

...and a $50 gift card to a local indie bookstore. Can't wait to get off work. ;)

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 27, 2011 - 1:54pm

No books but a gift card for a local bookstore. Going tomorrow.

Stephen Falconer's picture
Stephen Falconer December 27, 2011 - 2:07pm

Chuck seems to be the flavour of the season, I've finished my new copy of Rant by Chuck Palahniuk already. GOLD!!! Now im onto my very own copy of the Master & Margarita. Tis the season for countercultural-time travelling rabies fiends and Old Scratch himself.

Merry Christmas

John Lemon's picture
John Lemon December 27, 2011 - 2:26pm

I got TWO copies of the new translation of the Iliad by Stephen Mitchell. I guess my whole family knew it was at the top of my list, haha. It's a gorgeous hardcover with deckled pages, and its the greatest story ever told, rendered in sprung verse. What's not to like? Thank you Santa. I guess leaving that spiked eggnog all these years has paid off.

Anna Rudashko's picture
Anna Rudashko from Moscow, Russia is reading Damned by Chuck Palahniuk December 27, 2011 - 4:36pm

My friend who hooked me up to Chuck Palahnuik years ago got me "Damned" by him. Another friend got me "Chanel: Collections and Creations" by Daniele Bott.

Love it.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life December 27, 2011 - 4:46pm

I got no books. :(

NotMarilyn's picture
NotMarilyn from Twin Cities, MN is reading Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn December 27, 2011 - 5:39pm

Perhaps you should hint harder next year. My "hinting" involved leaving detailed "Get Me These Books, and These Books Only" lists with friends and family who braved the question, "What do you want for Christmas?"

jakers923's picture
jakers923 from Columbus, Ohio is reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut December 27, 2011 - 6:22pm

No doubt the best present I received this year was signed copy of "Damned" by Chuck.

.'s picture
. December 27, 2011 - 6:31pm

Amazon and B&N gift cards. Trying not to impulse buy anything.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 27, 2011 - 9:03pm

Got a crapload of books like Damned by Palahniuk but also 70 dollars in gift cards, yay!

edsikov's picture
edsikov from New York by way of Natrona Hts PA is reading absolutely nothing December 28, 2011 - 9:11am

My husband and I gave each other a 1950's dining table, and that was the only damn present I got.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life December 28, 2011 - 9:58am

Ed, that's crazy that you both got each other a 1950's dining table. What are the odds? ;)

Typewriter Demigod's picture
Typewriter Demigod from London is reading "White Noise" by DeLilo, "Moby-Dick" by Hermann Mellivile and "Uylsses" by Joyce December 30, 2011 - 5:57am

I got House of Leaves and a mysterious gift from a Litreactorian I have yet to open.