Watch Stephen King Read From His Sequel to "The Shining"

Dr. Sleep

According to just about everyone, Stephen King has finally unveiled the long threatened promised sequel to his 1977 masterwork, The Shining. It's called Dr. Sleep, and takes place some 30 years after the chilling events of the first novel. Cute little Danny Torrance is now all grown up and taking care of the terminally ill. And by "taking care of," I mean helping them to die like some sort of psychic Jack Kevorkian. This in and of itself sounds interesting enough, but, oh yeah- the book also features a roving pack of vampires called "The Tribe."

Sigh.

Is this really a good idea? Apparently 5,861 of you think so, because it beat out requests for a new Dark Tower book in a poll on King's website. I guess no one is concerned about what happens when Hollywood sees dollar signs and talk turns to the inevitable movie sequel. I'm expecting less of a Kubrickian masterpiece and something more along the lines of a Steven Weber starring mini-series.

Check out this video of King at George Mason University, reading an excerpt from the ill-advised work in progress:

Author: Stephen King
Price: $37.00
Publisher: Gallery Books (2002)
Binding: Paperback, 528 pages
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers, Joe Turkel
Rating: R (Restricted)
Jacey Cockrobin

News by Joshua Chaplinsky

Joshua Chaplinsky is the Managing Editor of LitReactor.com. He has also written for the popular film site Screen Anarchy and for ChuckPalahniuk.net, the official website of 'Fight Club' author Chuck Palahniuk. He is the author of 'Kanye West—Reanimator.' His short fiction has appeared in Zetetic, Motherboard, Vol. 1 Brooklyn, Thuglit, Dark Moon Digest, Pantheon Magazine, and multiple print anthologies. More info at joshuachaplinsky.com.

Comments

Dennis's picture
Admin
Dennis from Los Angeles is reading The Lord of the Rings October 1, 2011 - 3:49pm

As much as I don't want this... I want this.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life October 1, 2011 - 3:52pm

Look at poor little Danny. He is so horrified by the thought of this sequel.

iBronco's picture
iBronco from New Jersey is reading White Noise October 1, 2011 - 3:54pm

I criticize King all of the time, yet I can't stop from reading all of his work and loving every word. I'm excited for this, even though every part of me is asking why.

Piirus's picture
Piirus from Kitchener, ON, CA is reading Fallen Book 2 October 1, 2011 - 4:09pm

There are many people out there that would buy Stephen King's fecal matter pressed into a hard cover. Sadly, I'm one of them. Under the Dome was one such book. I seriously (fantasized) considered driving to Maine just so I could smoke him with my car. Magic ticket my ass McBane.

Jen Todd's picture
Jen Todd is reading your lifeline and all signs are good October 1, 2011 - 5:27pm

I suggest just driving to Maine to smoke with him in your car, Piirus.  One less car wash and felony on your record (I'd suppose).

John's picture
John from Brooklyn, NY is reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis October 1, 2011 - 6:11pm

I just don't know what to think of this...

Jeremy Robert Plante's picture
Jeremy Robert Plante from Calgary, Alberta Canada is reading Several books a month. Listing them would mean numerous updates. October 1, 2011 - 6:27pm

Not my first choice for a sequel, but I am sure it will sell like crack and Krispy Kreme donuts combined.

Howard_Rue's picture
Howard_Rue from Mount Dora, Florida is reading Heart-Shaped Box October 1, 2011 - 8:00pm

Jeremy hit the nail on the head. I thought King was retired, but that shows you how on-top of the literary world I am these days.

Hey, a good read is a good read. Let's see what develops.

Peace,
Rue

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 2, 2011 - 3:50pm

The man now has THREE books scheduled for release in the not so distant future.

Fucking insane. He must vomit, sweat, and shit out words all at the same time.

And for the record I think he has written many more good books than he has bad ones.

A quick glance over my shelves reveal that I own forty three King books. There are still a bunch I dont have. Damn.

Tina's picture
Tina is reading Drive, James Sallis October 3, 2011 - 2:19pm

silliness. and I can intellectualize this to the bone, have it make perfect sense, be even slightly intriguing, and still: silliness.

kah's picture
kah from Ewan is reading everything on al gore's information super highway October 3, 2011 - 6:18pm

ok, i'm an idoit. I read this as a sequel to the Stand.

'Ryan Patrick Kelley''s picture
'Ryan Patrick K... October 4, 2011 - 9:00am

Not sure why anyone hates this idea. And as far as a Kubrick-ian masterpiece??? In SK's version the alcohol was only part of Jack's problem the rest was he was an a-hole. In King's mini series it is clear that he isn't a bad guy but the hotel is dredging up every bit of evil that is lurking in an otherwise good man. What I'm disappointed in is the proposed remake of the stand. IDK, maybe it will stand up too.

Xander Davis's picture
Xander Davis from Downtown Tycho, The Moon is reading Casino Royale / Tomorrow Now October 21, 2011 - 12:06pm

All I hope is, if they adapt it into a film, they find a director consistent with the stylistic impact of Kubrick.  Who do you think could follow him up?  I'd probably say Fincher after seeing the trailer to the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 19, 2011 - 11:41am

Terrible. Just terrible

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books December 21, 2011 - 2:18pm

I think it's going to be awful--but I'll read it. I've read all the rest, and so I just have to see for myself (like Duma Key and UTD).

Jimothy Scott's picture
Jimothy Scott from Canada is reading The Anatomy of Story by John Truby February 24, 2012 - 6:25pm

Didn't he say he was retiring?

PandaMask's picture
PandaMask from Los Angeles is reading More Than Human February 24, 2012 - 6:27pm

He's like a hardboiled cop. They say they're retiring, but they just keep coming back in.

CStodd's picture
CStodd from NY is reading Annie Prouxl's Fine Just the Way It Is February 25, 2012 - 4:31pm

Somewhere Tim Daly is hitting the gym and getting ready for his agents call.

Dorian Grey's picture
Dorian Grey from Transexual, Transylvania is reading "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck March 2, 2012 - 8:43pm

People always criticize Stephen King because he keeps churning out books, and I always wonder why. Personally, I find his persistance inspiring. He's in love with and more dedicated to his craft than any other writer I know, and I would think that lots of aspiring writers would applaud him for continuing to do what he does best as he starts to approach the later years of his life. King has set the bar very high for his genre, and its unreasonable to expect to him write anything better than his classics like The Shining, It, Carrie and others; that's like expecting J.K. Rowling to write something better than the Harry Potter series. I'm thrilled that King is writing a sequel to The Shining, and of course I think that its unusual that he would add vampires into the mix, but I trust the he has a good idea and that he will use his masterful storytelling to make it work.