Twitter All A-Twitter Over Jeanette Winterson's Dinner

Twitter All A-Twitter Over Jeanette Winterson's Dinner

Jeanette Winterson, author of Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, angered followers when she used Twitter to prove that Lean Cuisine Is Not The Only Dinner.

After a rabbit had destroyed some of the plants in her garden, Winterson, author and two-time Lamda Literary Award winner, went ahead and killed the rabbit, dressed it, and cooked it up, even setting aside some of the entrails for her cat.

The tweet that set things off was a picture of the rabbit half-skinned and layed out on a cutting board with the text "Rabbit ate my parsley. I am eating the rabbit." If you're interested in the photos, you can see them on her twitter feed.

Many followers were unhappy about the tweet and several other tweets that followed, including one of the rabbit "washed and jointed for the pot."

Some reactions:

i unfollow u,u make me sick. I will never again. read a word u write. Rest in peace little rabbit.

How utterly vile >> @Wintersonworld << Don't know who this person is and don't want to know. RIP little rabbit.

I don't even eat meat because it's monstrously inhuman the way it is farmed, but I'd eat Winterson-snared Rabbit.

Poor??? so if you have money you are obliged to buy meat? It is better to eat a pest than just cull and discard.

That is brave of you Jeanette. Like your style and novels of course. So how did you catch the rabbit?

Good idea or bad idea to tweet about? Do you think this will help the author, any press is good press? Is this all just classic internet overreaction?

Manufacturer: Grove Press
Part Number:
Price:
Manufacturer: Grove Press
Part Number:
Price:

Comments

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami June 18, 2014 - 2:42pm

How an author eats is quite plainly none of their business. There are all kinds of idiots in the world that will truly bitch about anything.

This is why I don't write for the public anymore.<_<

It used to be you could be H.P. friggin Lovecraft and still have people read your work.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated June 18, 2014 - 2:46pm

Emily Thrash's picture
Emily Thrash June 18, 2014 - 2:55pm

I think this is an exellent example about how no press is bad press.  I had never heard of Winterson, but now I'm intriqued.  People disgusted by this wouldn't have been attracted to or enjoyed her work most likely.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life June 18, 2014 - 3:09pm

I like a woman who can kill her own food.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami June 18, 2014 - 3:41pm

Question: Would they have acted disgusted if it were a dear, or a bear? Again, I am against hunting for sport. But it should be obvious from context it's for food.

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life June 18, 2014 - 11:54pm

I'd be pretty fucking grossed out if she ate a bear, those things are full of parasites.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry June 19, 2014 - 8:51am

It appears to have garnered her some press.

Crap.  My dog just ate my sandwich.  Looks like I now have a pithy revenge and a way to get publicity.  THANKS, DOG!

RIP

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Coin Locker Babies June 19, 2014 - 11:37am

Internet-dwellers find any excuse to be angry together in their hive mentality to protest anything that comes along and it's because they're so shallow and insipid that they have nothing really to live for so they create problems where there weren't problems to make up for their meaningless existence.

Chacron's picture
Chacron from England, South Coast is reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb June 19, 2014 - 12:12pm

Nothing wrong with this. Good for Jeanette Winterson. Reminds me of something a classmate at agricultural college did after we learned about ferreting to catch rabbits. He took one home, learned how to skin it, and posted a step by step guide to how to do it on Facebook, complete with pictures. First response read 'Oh my god that's fucking sick what the hell is wrong with you..' etc etc. Sounds like Winterson did a similar thing: trapping the rabbit was legal, the killing was done in a humane way, and as for showing up close and personal where meat comes from, well it's funny how many of the people who object to seeing it will continue to eat meat despite knowing this is how we get it.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami June 19, 2014 - 2:09pm

For a moment I thought me thinking the fans were stupid was the minority. (I've met some very weird people online that complain about anything.)