Tim Tebow: NFL Quarterback, Internet Meme, Bestselling Author

17 comments
Through My Eyes Tebow

I'll admit up front that I did my fair share of smack-talking on Tebow.  The kid had shitty throwing mechanics and I didn't really care for the whole Christian athletes of America vibe.  He wasn't pretentiously annoying like Chad Ochocinco, but there was something about all the fanfare that got under my skin.  In fact, a lot of people gnashed their teeth at the idea of this guy being Denver's proverbial Neo.  I didn't see it.  Like a lot of people, I didn't believe.  Then Tebow Time happened.

Miracle #1: Pretty much every NFL commentator and analyst labeled this kid as a joke.  Imagine that for a second: all of these experts and players (both former and current) predicting your failure.  Then the kid starts pulling wins out of his ass like magic.  Okay, fine, he's getting a ton of help from his kicker, but still, six out of eight ain't bad at all.  Now everyone is changing their tune.

Miracle #2: What started out as a cheesy sideline ritual of Tebow kneeling down and going into Zen mode is now one of America's favorite pastimes.  Yep, you guessed it: Tebowing.  Aren't you glad for Tebowing?  There's a certain dignity to it, unlike planking.  Ol' Timmy Tebow has even become an Internet meme in the process, which you can check out here

Miracle #3: Bestselling author.  Yeah, I'll say that again: Tim Tebow is a bestselling author.  Seriously, check it out over on Amazon.  Does it upset you that he's beating 1Q84 and The Art of Fielding?  Is Tina Fey scratching her head and wondering why her book is getting trumped by a quarterback?  Are you fuming over the idea that the kid is on a five-year $11.25 million dollar contract, so whatever book money he's making is basically chump change?  Scream rage amongst yourselves.

Now you're probably wondering why the LitReactor staff even bothered to cover this.  Well, if you've been paying attention to our columns then you already know we'll dish on anything (no matter how unorthodox) if it can help you sell books.  Just in case you missed it: Tebow is just another example of having an author platform.  You may be a bit miffed by it, but you have to appreciate the odd turns the world of publishing can take. I've become convinced that anyone can compete, whether you're an MFA graduate, a comedian, and yes--even a quarterback.  In fact, Tebow's book Through My Eyes now has 475,000 physical copies in circulation.

Also, make sure to check out this SNL skit if you haven't already.  No word as of yet if Tebow is amused or offended by this.

Comments

Leigh Green's picture
Leigh Green from Greenville, SC, US is reading everything December 23, 2011 - 12:32pm

One thing I'm curious about is did Tebow actually write it, or did he use a ghost writer? If he's the author, then I feel a bit more respect for him. However, if it was just a ghost writer...

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading a lot more during the quarantine December 23, 2011 - 1:12pm

Well, he did have a HOLY ghost writer!

spence's picture
spence from planet is reading Books December 23, 2011 - 5:51pm

I've never seen a football player get so much crap before, not even Michael Vick. But Tebow gets it every time i turn on the tv or computer and it's just because he's a Christian. Pitiful.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated December 23, 2011 - 10:38pm

Sad that he gets made fun of for it, but it's just how things are.

.'s picture
. December 24, 2011 - 12:22am

This makes me think: why should I try to get an MFA.

Jason C's picture
Jason C from Quad Cities, Iowa is reading Growing Up Dead In Texas by Stephen Graham Jones December 24, 2011 - 12:40am

The first 3/4 of the book is shit but Tebow pulls it out at the end.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 24, 2011 - 12:43am

I'm all for the increase in running quarterbacks. Yeah, maybe they'll have a shorter career, but it's fun to watch and it catches the defense off-guard all the freaking time. Even if they wise up and start planning to guard against the QB run, that will leave the defense less focused and the offense with more choices.

What? Tebow wrote a book?

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading a lot more during the quarantine December 24, 2011 - 8:54am

The first 3/4 of the book is shit but Tebow pulls it out at the end.

I laughed.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 24, 2011 - 9:51am

I appreciate the whole Christian athletes of America vibe but I'm still not reading the book

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 24, 2011 - 4:54pm

Even rappers thank God though but I don't see Jesus drinking gin and juice in Heaven.

EricMBacon's picture
EricMBacon from Vermont is reading The Autobiography of a Corpse December 24, 2011 - 10:54pm

Next book: How to sometimes win in ten throws or less.

mutterhals's picture
mutterhals from Pittsburgh December 25, 2011 - 12:14pm
edsikov's picture
edsikov from New York by way of Natrona Hts PA is reading absolutely nothing December 28, 2011 - 10:41am
Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading a lot more during the quarantine December 28, 2011 - 10:55am

@Ed: Hahaha. That picture is so beefcake.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated August 15, 2013 - 6:27am

Can someone clean this up?

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading a lot more during the quarantine August 15, 2013 - 7:23am

Cleaned. I appreciate how concerned you are about the tidiness of the comments on this old-ass Tim Teabow news post, Dwayne.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated August 15, 2013 - 7:31am

It kept showing up on my unread list.