The Week In Discussion: 6/4/12

The Week In Discussion: 6/4/12

Time for The Week in Discussion, in which we highlight some of the more active, interesting conversations going on in our forum! Big thanks to Joshua Moyes for the heads up on these.

If you haven't taken the dive into our forum yet, all it takes is a free account.

The Great Big Month of June Delayed Gratification Thread. We've been hinting at some big news, and the announcement got bumped from Friday to today. I suspect if we don't announce it soon, someone's getting decapitated. The natives are getting restless...

The Compliment Orgy Thread. We had a little drama in the forums as of late, so site member Rachel Cohen stepped up to encourage a little love. It's fun to be nice!

Beyond Thunderdome. Writer battles. These are like dance-offs, except with writing. Which is better, I think, because they require no physical exertion.

The LitReactor Book Club Book of the Month. This month's selection is The Thin Man, by Dashiell Hammett. This is a great book!

THEME - or how to answer the dreaded workshop critique: So what? There's a good discussion going about the use of theme and workshop critiques, and if you're not a member of our writing workshop, this is a pretty good glimpse at how in-depth and encouraging our critiquers are with each other.

That's your line-up for the week. These threads take on a life of their own and grow organically and quick. So if you haven't yet been indoctrinated into it all, go register a free account and dive in!

Comments

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry June 4, 2012 - 8:39am

<-------- *respectfully requests not to be decapitated*

.'s picture
. June 4, 2012 - 9:25am

"The Compliment Orgy Thread."

I'm glad we gave it the name change. It looks nice for a magazine article.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner June 4, 2012 - 9:37am

It does look classier.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz June 4, 2012 - 9:38am

I need to be decapitated. I volunteer. Please Rob, please?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters June 4, 2012 - 1:09pm

"It looks nice for a magazine article."

Yeah.  At first I thought, hey this is a nice article idea.  Then I realized.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry June 4, 2012 - 1:40pm

I didn't realize you guys were recruiting your church friends.

I was thinking we could change the name of that to "The Compliment Thread:  Bang Bus Style".

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 June 4, 2012 - 5:18pm

I have lost my head.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff June 5, 2012 - 1:47am

Until today I just read it "the complimentary orgy thread". I was making up time for reading all the terms and conditions, then this.

Nice thread anyways, Rach.