SCARE US! - Rewarding Our Top Stories!
The excitement over LitReactor’s first official writing challenge has been building for months. We teased the announcement in May, and since then people have been buzzing about it. The premise was simple – write the best horror story you could, based on a few, loving guidelines. Over 100 writers took up the challenge and produced enough horror to fuel our nightmares for years to come.
Last week we rewarded the amazing reviewers-- the people who gave hours of their valuable time to help fellow writers with fantastic feedback and support.
And now it’s time to reward the authors for their writing. In the spirit of LitReactor’s commitment to learning and improving, we’ve decided to reward people with the means to both learn and improve with their rewards. Therefore, our winners will be receiving a story critique from some of our talented and amazing class instructors. The top-notch instructor / authors offering their help include:
- Ed Sikov
- Holiday Reinhorn
- Suzy Vitello
- Lidia Yuknavitch
- Christa Faust
- Joe Nassise
- Craig Clevenger
Oh, and also... Chuck Palahniuk.
That’s right, our three top rated stories will each receive a very special review from none other than Chuck Palahniuk, the amazing author of Fight Club, Choke, Invisible Monsters, and – who am I kidding? You know who he is!
Are we excited yet?
No more suspense – you’ve been patient long enough. Here are our winners!
*NOTE ON RATINGS: A perfect score constitutes ALL Thumbs Ups. High scores equal the MOST Thumbs Ups.
First, our top three stories, as rated by all of you! These stories received the highest number of points – our number one slot actually receiving a perfect score. For their excellent work they will receive more than one instructor review. In addition to a review from Chuck Palaniuk, they will also get reviews from some of our amazing instructors!
The Top 3:
1. Jane Wiseman "Hatch" – 6000 points - Chuck Palahniuk / Craig Clevenger / Lidia Yuknavitch
2. Bret Caron"We Called it God" – 5900 points - Chuck Palahniuk / Suzi Vitello
3. Leah_beth "Driving After Dark" – 4700 points - Chuck Palahniuk / Lidia Yuknavitch
Our next group of writers comprises our highest scores of the competition. As noted, some of these outstanding writers also received perfect scores with not a single thumbs down rating. Congratulations, guys. This is well earned!
4. Joanna Parypinski "The Pickwick Horror" – Holiday Reinhorn / Ed Sikov
5. Scott MacDonald "Follow the Leader" (perfect score) – Lidia Yuknavitch / Holiday Reinhorn
6. Emma "Crystal" – Holiday Reinhorn
7. Jonathan Riley "Fallen Star" (perfect score) – Holiday Reinhorn
8. FoxyLenz "The Tupperware Party" – Joe Nassise
9. Bob Pastorella "Outlaws" (perfect score) – Ed Sikov
10. Bryanhowie "The Second Plague" – Suzy Vitello
11. Blair "Anchorstone" – Christa Faust
12. Ian "In the Tall Grass" (perfect score) – Ed Sikov
13. sean of the dead "1000 Steps" - Lidia Yuknavitch
14. lspieller "Itch" - Craig Clevenger
15. AssholeAmerican "Slaughterhouse" - Craig Clevenger
16. Mess_Jess "Binoomea - Dark Places" (perfect score) – Joe Nassise
17. Sancho Lestache "Snacks" (perfect score) – Suzy Vitello
This final group of writers had some mixed reviews. They fell right in the middle; about half of the people liked their stories, while they just didn’t work for the other half. With this mixed feedback it can be difficult to know where to go next. And if there is one thing our instructors love, it is teaching! With this boost, we hope these stories will be able to make it to that next level.
1. Jacks_username "The Land of Horses and Bourbon" – Ed Sikov
2. Schrander "The Trial of Sparkle Bear" – Joe Nassise
3. Ben Court "Heat Wave or Two For Joy" - Suzy Vitello
4. DanielKeaton "The Tea Salesman" - Craig Clevenger
5. steveburchard "Trouser Snake" - Christa Faust
6. Grigori Black "Stripped" - Christa Faust
7. Andrewch7 "Mojave Blood" - Craig Clevenger
8. Andrew Kelly "Taken From the Other Side" - Lidia Yuknavitch
Congratulations to all our winners and all of our participants. We hope everyone had fun, and based on many of the comments, that seems to be the case. This challenge has had some great moments.
But it’s still not over! Expect to see the bulk of our instructors leave their feedback as a reply right on the actual winning story pages (possibly with the exception of Chuck Palahniuk, whose feedback will be emailed in and posted). Once all the feedback is in, we'll report back and link to all the results and see what our instructors had to say about these stories!
To leave a comment