President Patronizes Indie Book Store For Small Business Saturday
via Writers Write:
Small Business Saturday is the rational person's response to Black Friday. It encourages shoppers to invest in local economies by patronizing mom-and-pop shops, a much nicer alternative to lining up outside a Wal-Mart at 3 a.m. to get pepper-sprayed for an XBox 360.
It's a lovely sentiment, even if the event is sponsored by American Express.
President Barack Obama marked Small Business Saturday by taking his daughters, Malia and Sasha, to Kramerbook & Afterwords Cafe in Washington, D.C., an independent bookstore near the White House.
See!? Even the president supports indie bookstores! Stop doing all your shopping on Amazon.
So what books did the president and his daughters buy?
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
- Tails by Matthew Van Fleet
- The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney
- Zen Shorts by Jon Muth
- The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
- Descent into Chaos by Ahmed Rashid
- The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selnick
I bet Obama was all like "Yea, my daughters bought Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and then he went home and read it himself.
Check out the video of the president's visit to the store:
To leave a comment