New Trailer For Zack Snyder's Superman Movie Hits, Looks Amazing

Zack Snyder's Superman Trailer

The full-length trailer for Zack Snyder's upcoming Superman film, Man of Steel, has hit the interwebz.

I'm a little skeptical, because Snyder knows how to cut a gorgeous trailer, and Superman is a tough character—how do you raise the stakes when your protagonist is invincible with god-like abilities?

But the eager little fanboy in me who grew up on Superman comics is squealing with joy. Because this looks big and sweeping and grand, but rooted in Clark Kent's humanity—more focused on the man than on the super. Which feels like a good direction to take it.

Also, Michael Shannon is General Zod. And Christopher Meloni is in this movie. Those two alone are enough to get me into the theater.

My fingers are crossed for a good DC movie. The more I think about it, the more I believe The Dark Knight Rises is a mess of a film, and a disappointing end to a trilogy that was good, but by no means great. Meanwhile, Marvel is kicking all kinds of ass in the film world, and it's time for DC to get a win—especially if this is going to be laying the groundwork for a Justice League movie.

Check it out. What do you think?

Comments

JEFFREY GRANT BARR's picture
JEFFREY GRANT BARR from Central OR is reading Nothing but fucking Shakespeare, for the rest of my life December 11, 2012 - 12:06pm

Oh, good, another Superman movie! And people say Hollywood is creatively bankr-

Deets999's picture
Deets999 from Connecticut is reading Adjustment Day December 11, 2012 - 1:12pm

Cautiously optimistic about this new Superman movie - high hopes for Shannon as Zod!

As an aside, I think TDKR is perceived as a mess because of how big the scope was for a Batman movie.  What I liked about those three films is that the stakes kept getting "upped" in satisfying fashions.  I would agree there are plot holes and some choppy structure - but Gotham being leveled by a dirty bomb tying into elements from Batman Begins was an interesting way to end to trilogy that for better or worse "changed things" (as Joker would say).  Plus it's worth it just to hear Tom Hardy deliver a line like "No one cared who I was until I put on the mask."

My two cents at least.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 1:27pm

Looks okay.

[If anyone wants to tell me why The Avengers is good but Dark Knight Rises isn't, I'm game.]

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 11, 2012 - 1:56pm

The Avengers didn't take itself so goddam seriously. I immediately wanted to watch it again. TDKR I had to convince myself I liked, and the more distance I got from it, the more I realized it was bloated and drab and confused about its own themes.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 2:05pm

The Avengers had no "themes." It could not be confused, because the whole story was: villain with idiotic motivation opens a portal and guys fight stuff after arguing amongst themselves for a while. The only thing it did which TDKR did not was make lots of jokes.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 11, 2012 - 2:16pm

The themes in The Avengers are a little more broad, and juggled between several leading characters, but you can't say the film didn't have them. They put aside petty differences to fight for the greater good. Is that terribly different than Bruce Wayne getting over his own bullshit to fight for the greater good?

Sure, TDKR attempts to speak to deeper aspects of character and heroism. I just think it does so poorly and superficially.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 2:24pm

It was no more superficial than The Avengers, but your perception is that the filmmakers' intentions were different, evidenced by statements regarding how "seriously" it took itself. Perhaps you took it too seriously. Clearly, you don't mind a popcorn film; maybe TDKR was one as well.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 11, 2012 - 2:30pm

TDKR wasn't a popcorn film. It aims for big storytelling goals and never crosses the finish line. What's with the Occupy theme? What's with all of Bane's speechifying? Why doesn't Bruce Wayne achieve any level of catharsis on screen? Batman is a symbol, ok, I get it, but that's the only real payoff. Everything else--Gotham's reckoning, Bruce's journey, all of it just gets dropped for a fan-wank ending.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 2:35pm

What's with Loki's speechifying? What's with the Captain America patriotism theme? The Avengers was one big, two-hour fan-wank.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 2:35pm

gotta motor

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 11, 2012 - 2:37pm

We keep this up, we're going to be arguing for the sake of it. Ultimately, I can't help how I feel.

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week December 11, 2012 - 3:03pm

I agree with pretty much everything you said, Rob.

Neither The Dark Knight Rises nor The Avengers will be on my year-end best-of list, but I definitely think that The Avengers is better despite its pacing problems and shallowness. The Dark Knight Rises make take itself more seriously, but it is the sillier movie. [Also, I don't know how someone could watch the last hour of The Avengers (AKA the good part) and not be blown away.]

If you want to know some reasons that The Dark Knight Rises is silly, look no further. To sum it up: the whole damn movie makes no damn sense. No amount of bravura direction can make up for stupid storytelling and a complete lack of interest in coherent character development.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 4:05pm

If you simply look at the content of the two movies, and do not pretend to know what the films were "supposed to be," basically every criticism one can level at TDKR may be applied to The Avengers as well.

Angel Colón's picture
Angel Colón from The Bronx now living in New Jersey is reading A Big Ol' Pile of Books December 11, 2012 - 7:42pm

Avengers vs TDKR aside, (I consider both to be enjoyable movies for completely different reasons, each completely capable of being criticised for completely different reasons, for instance, The Avengers' weak first 45 minutes vs TDKR's insistance on telling two films' worth of story in a single sit down), may I simply point out that this is a Superman film from the man who gave us Sucker Punch? I believe that justifies my lack of enthusiasm after watching the trailer.

There was a time I had faith in Snyder, but after whatever Sucker Punch was (stripper power fantasy, or simply Inception for morons) I'm not onboard just yet.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 11, 2012 - 8:06pm

Sucker Punch was about as good as The Avengers.
Watchmen and 300 were both better than The Avengers.
[Real feelings, not baiting.]

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week December 11, 2012 - 10:02pm

Oh, Watchmen is definitely better than The Avengers imo. But I think it's better than the entire Dark Knight trilogy, too. In fact, it's one of my favorite movies from recent years. I never really understood the hatred against it. I personally can appreciate both Snyder's film and Moore's and Gibbons's graphic novel.

I don't much care for 300, though. Depending on which day you ask me, I might say it's pretty okay or mediocre or kinda terrible. I haven't seen Sucker Punch and have no impulse to. The Dawn of the Dead remake was good, though, and Man of Steel looks enticing.

I consider both to be enjoyable movies for completely different reasons, each completely capable of being criticised for completely different reasons, for instance, The Avengers' weak first 45 minutes vs TDKR's insistance on telling two films' worth of story in a single sit down.

Ditto. I'd like to point out that, regardless of how stupid I find it, I think The Dark Knight Rises is actually pretty entertaining thanks to the direction and the acting. Also, I don't think The Avengers is great by any means. [This and this are probably germane to the conversation.] Again, neither one would even be in my top ten movies of 2012. About the success of both movies, I just kind of shrug my shoulders. Yet, if forced to choose, The Avengers is obviously more fun (for me), and its light tone makes its distinct problems easier to ignore.

For reference, here are just some of the movies released this year that I think are better than The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers:
The Grey
Sinister
Flight
Lincoln
Life of Pi

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 12, 2012 - 8:21am

I do think we're getting away from something: The existence of The Avengers, nor it's relative success or failure, doesn't change the fact that TDKR was a drab, bloated mess of a movie. I just don't think it's a very good movie.

Looper was pretty awesome, though.

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Coin Locker Babies December 12, 2012 - 9:23am

I thought Sucker Punch was a blast to watch, even my 60 year old mom liked it. Watchmen, however, was melodramatic and too flashy. That movie definitely took itself way too seriously. And i have no desire to see the Avengers but i'm still looking forward to the Dark Knight Rises, faults aside. It wins in my book and i haven't seen either yet.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 11:18am

Drab: color-wise, I guess The Avengers had more to offer.
Bloated: as I said, this applies to The Avengers as well, if you wish.
Mess: I understood the movie just fine. I honestly don't get why people say this. You could say that Pulp Fiction was a mess if you didn't like it.

You "just don't think it's a very good movie." Okay.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 12, 2012 - 11:26am

Is it not possible to discuss a piece of art without comparing it to something else? Or are you just discounting everything I say because I liked a movie you didn't?

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 11:32am

The comparison was the premise of the conversation, but yes, it's possible.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 11:33am

are you just discounting everything I say because I liked a movie you didn't?

Of course not.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated December 12, 2012 - 12:25pm

@Rob - TDKR might have got on your nerves in part because it was a pretty strongly anti-liberal.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break December 12, 2012 - 1:25pm

@Rob: It took you way too many posts to figure that out.

Rob's picture
Class Director
Rob from New York City is reading at a fast enough pace it would be cumbersome to update this December 12, 2012 - 1:27pm

The Dark Knight was anti-liberal and it didn't bother me. That was one of the best parts of the film.

The Dark Knight Rises flirts with some sort of Occupy theme that it then dumps it. I would have been fine with it, if they bothered to complete the thought. But it didn't amount to anything.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 1:31pm

@Rob: It took you way too many posts to figure that out.

It took you no time at all to disregard the fact that I'm not doing what he inquired about.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated December 12, 2012 - 1:39pm

@Rob - Then maybe that is the disagreement, because I thought it summed up the view of 'we need cops to beat them into acting right' pretty concisely.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break December 12, 2012 - 1:42pm

@J.Y.

It took you too many posts to write a novel.

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 1:49pm

It took you too many posts to write a novel.

Am I writing a novel? Have you been reading my diary?
The sting of your wit is diminished by the fact that I'm not, in fact, writing a novel.

[I use the old, pre-modern defintion of the word "novel."]

Let's move on.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break December 12, 2012 - 2:00pm

@J.Y.

You never say "let's move on." Are you okay?

jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 12, 2012 - 5:16pm

[Thinking of a way to use the word "fact" more times than necessary.]

I checked the facts, and you're right about that particular fact: I usually am not the one to say "let's move on." But the fact of the matter is: I felt the main discussion might move forward if I cinched off the "why aren't you writing your novel instead of posting comments"-talk; I couldn't just not say something.

In fact, Brandon, I'm miserable, for I've never published a novel. In point of fact, I've never even typed a completed manuscript of narrative fiction consisting of more than 40,000 words.

Pretty Spry for a Dead Guy's picture
Pretty Spry for... from I'd prefer it if you didn't know. So would you, only you don't know it. is reading whatever he makes time for this week February 2, 2013 - 1:40pm