Libraries Popping Up in Airports Offer Free Books to Travelers

Free Library of Philadelphia Airport Exhibit
Free Library Exhibit at Philadelphia International Airport

Traveling by air has become a chore of late. Not only this, God forbid you've left your book at home, because that means you'll either have to entertain yourself with the in-flight magazine or saw off an arm and a leg in exchange for a book from one of the airport shops (and suffer a diatribe about Obama from the cashier to boot—and yes, this actually happened to me).

Fortunately, local libraries are stepping up and providing free reads to travelers, so we don't ever have to find ourselves in the above predicament again. Melville House Books reports that Manhattan Regional Airport in Kansas and Philadelphia International Airport have partnered with Kansas State Library and the Free Library of Philadelphia, respectively, to provide free eBooks to passengers. The downside to this, of course, is the necessity for a lending card attached to that particularly library; non-locals are redirected to Project Gutenberg, where the selection is limited to books in the public domain (Pride and Prejudice, Great Expectations, etc.)

At Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, however, the King County Library System has set up Quick Read stations with physical books, magazines, and even places to sit and read. Passengers can chill out and read at the station, or borrow an item for their flight, with no obligation to return (though, according to the library's marketing director Julie Brand, many customers still do, sometimes going as far as shipping books back to the main branch).

I love this idea, and I hope we'll see more libraries pop up in airports soon. Perhaps we'll even see cross-airport libraries with no specific city affiliation, which would allow you to borrow a book in New York City and return it in San Francisco.

Would you fly more often if free books were offered in the mix? I would.

Manufacturer: Waxkeep Publishing
Part Number:
Manufacturer: Prestwick House Inc.
Part Number:
Price: $3.99
Christopher Shultz

News by Christopher Shultz

Christopher Shultz grew up watching old Universal monster movies and reading Stephen King. His stories have appeared in MicroHorror, the anthology 'Another 100 Horrors,' Smashed Cat Magazine and Grievous Angel, among other places. Christopher lives in Oklahoma City with his fiancée Lauren and their two mostly well-behaved cats. More info at

edsikov's picture
edsikov from New York by way of Natrona Hts PA is reading THE GOODBYE PEOPLE by Gavin Lambert July 30, 2013 - 4:30pm

Great! Now if they could make the experience of actually flying something less like getting a root canal....

Flying now is like taking the bus, except that the bus is on time.

SammyB's picture
SammyB from Las Vegas is reading The Last Policeman trilogy July 30, 2013 - 7:12pm

This is wonderful :)

C Patrick Neagle's picture
C Patrick Neagle from Hood River, Oregon is reading words, words, words July 30, 2013 - 9:22pm

Sorry. I can't get past the "you left your book at home" part. The idea is inconceivable. :-)

Stacey Isbell Graham's picture
Stacey Isbell Graham from Washington, D.C. is reading The Legend of Sleepy Hollow August 2, 2013 - 8:51pm

Airports/individual airlines should have a room set aside for books to be left after passengers are finished reading on the flight. Finished the novel? Leave it for someone else. It's good karma, baby.

crazyzoarhaina July 30, 2014 - 1:59am

There are so many Airports maybe which have that type of Facilities. In the England, birmingham airport transfers told me about Libaray. Now, According to me that There should a room for it because Some people really need to read those books to grow their education.

crazyzoarhaina October 7, 2014 - 9:46am

Thank you so abundant for administration this abundant website. Some Web Design London also giving these types of facilities .Very alarming and accessible too.Hope you abide to allotment added of your ideas.I will absolutely adulation to read.

crazyzoarhaina November 8, 2014 - 8:13am

Briggs & Riley

The information moreover the similarity were reasonable tremendous. I envision that your point of view is overwhelming, its moral well personality away additionally positively astonishing to grasp some individual who encounters how to put these contemplations so well. Getting livelihood!

crazyzoarhaina December 7, 2014 - 8:38am

This is truly fascinating and incredible to peruse and i must admire you for imparting this post to every one of us.

crazyzoarhaina December 29, 2014 - 4:06am

Many the getting are actual circumspect. I addition there contemplates and A accumulation of bodies sitting about discussing something, it cast be crucial.

Medical spa equipment

crazyzoarhaina February 23, 2015 - 8:42am

This truly is this sort of awesome asset that you're supplying furthermore you give away gratis. I truly like seeing sites that comprehend the requirement for supplying an amazing asset complimentary. Much thanks to you for this superb asset.

Cloud Phone Service Providers

crazyzoarhaina April 18, 2015 - 2:47am

This site is in view of a decent data. The writer has expounded on huge occasion. Gardenroots members will partake in the opposition and have been told about the outcomes. Much obliged for imparting.

Graphic Bikes

crazyzoarhaina July 1, 2015 - 8:04am

This is the thing that I have been seeking in numerous sites and I at long last discovered it here. Astounding article. I am so inspired. Could never consider such a marvel as this is conceivable with it...I think you have an awesome information particularly while dealings with such subjects.

Appointment Setting

crazyzoarhaina July 11, 2015 - 7:48am

Your piece shows you have a different of involvement in this point. Can you express me to further questions about this? I slant propose this report to my buddys too.
Discard Car Pick

crazyzoarhaina July 25, 2015 - 3:45am

That Conference is annihilation potentially. In some countires, Internet is free and Social Media Marketing websites are also free to open and We can also read free books. So, its good. Now,  Any ideal pieces grant data about it is better. The issue is odd episode that once in a while adequate distils are talking shrewdly about. I bear investigate yet identified with various my mates.

crazyzoarhaina August 8, 2015 - 5:56am

I do wish there were more individuals like you around on the interwebs. Very few individuals are watchful with their words, including myself infrequently. I have composed things I would love to take back.

Attorney at Law

crazyzoarhaina August 14, 2015 - 6:35am

Much obliged to you! I am take in more on this subject as I am working on an organization wander. How could you have been able to you get the chance to be this incredible? Its stunning to see somebody put such a great amount of enthusiasm into a point.

Bounce House Rentals

crazyzoarhaina August 19, 2015 - 7:31am

Your agreement fanfares you accept a assorted of acquaintance in this point. Can you absolute me to added altar about this? I affection advance this address to my buddys as well.

Legal Services

Pmark's picture
Pmark August 25, 2015 - 6:40am

<h2>Security Guard Companies</h2>
<p><a href="" title="security guard companies">Security Guard Companies</a> - When it comes to your business, home or any major event, you simply cannot leave anything up to chance. Your business premises and belongings at home are precious - you don't want to lose them. Similarly, your events are important - and you do not want any gatecrashers and miscreants ruining them!</p>

Pmark's picture
Pmark August 26, 2015 - 4:09am

<h2>Security Guard Companies</h2>

crazyzoarhaina October 3, 2015 - 6:30am

You have a certifiable limit for creating uncommon substance. I like how you think and the way you address your points of view in this article. I agree with your perspective. Much gratitude to you for sharing.

Ltc Insurance in Pennsylvania

crazyzoarhaina October 6, 2015 - 8:42am

Bless for sharing this messenger. They can truly cure me in my home process. My Companions, additionally supports these classifys of sites subsequently these requests of sites horse around vital capacity in our presence.

Melbourne Earthmoving

crazyzoarhaina October 18, 2015 - 8:12am

Stunning! That is incredible post! It's truly brilliant. Much obliged for sharing this.

Interim Management

crazyzoarhaina October 25, 2015 - 7:31am

I am going to persevere through your inquiry besides test to do amount of these this weekend. Consequently it is a 3 age weekend for me I have assigned it as an INCREASE on the set out for estate facultys weekend.this container volition capable toward my recommendations entirely. Blesss once more! Hold a great weekend yourself.

Vet Clinic