In The New DC Universe, Superman And Wonder Woman Are Hittin' It

10 comments
Superman And Wonder Woman Are Hittin' It

via io9:

In a huge change to comic book status quo, Lois Lane is out and Wonder Woman is in as Superman's main squeeze.

Last year DC launched The New 52, in which all the current titles were canceled, and 52 titles were relaunched with #1 issues, effectively nullifying years of continuity--like Clark Kent's marriage to Lois Lane.

Now, on one hand, this makes sense. Given Superman's powers, wouldn't sex with a human end in complete and total devastation?

At the same time, this is sure to rile up the purists, who balk at even the most minor changes to long-held traditions.

What do you think? Yay or nay on Superman/Wonder Woman?

Rob Hart

News by Rob Hart

Rob Hart is the class director at LitReactor, as well as the publisher at MysteriousPress.com. He's the author of New Yorked, nominated for the Anthony Award for Best First Novel, as well as City of Rose and South Village. Short stories have appeared in publications like Shotgun Honey, Thuglit, Needle, Joyland, All Due Respect, and Helix Literary Magazine. Non-fiction has appeared at Salon, The Daily Beast, Birth.Movies.Death, The Literary Hub, Electric Literature, and Nailed. He lives in New York City. Find him online at www.robwhart.com

Comments

Надењка Зузакова's picture
Надењка Зузакова August 23, 2012 - 7:00am

This reminded me of Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex by Larry Niven on the impossibility of a Superman/Lois Lane sexual intercoursing. It makes much more sense this way.

Vinny Mannering's picture
Vinny Mannering from Boston, MA. USA is reading On Fiction Writing August 23, 2012 - 7:18am

I'm no longer an avid comics reader - and when I was, I was a Marvel guy - but it seems to me that between Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Catwoman and the Teen Titans reboots DC's idea of "shaking up the status quo" is to turn the writing reigns over to EL James wannabe's and the comics into a giant superhero orgy.

Which, if their target demographic is still teenage boys, is a brilliant strategy... it just won't do anything towards that whole "legitimizing comic books as art" thing.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life August 23, 2012 - 7:18am

Reminds me of an (off color) old joke:

Superman was flying around one night, horny as hell, using his x-ray vision to peep on ladies in their apartments. He flies by Wonder Woman's place, and sees her naked on her bed, apparently pleasuring herself. It is too much for him to handle. He flies in an open window and WHAM! WHAM! WHAM! He super-bangs her and then he's gone. Wonder Woman opens her eyes.

"What the hell was that?" she says.

That's when the Invisible Man goes, "I don't know, but my ass sure is sore."

Ba-dum bum!

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated August 23, 2012 - 9:45am

If nothing else it seems it would be a lot more relaxing to date someone you won't accidently kill if you tap on her shoulder too hard. Plus it will be much harder to take her hostage.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. August 23, 2012 - 11:39am

As long as they remember to draw Wonder Woman taller than Superman, I don't mind.

Wonder Woman's picture
Wonder Woman from RI is reading 20th Century Ghosts August 23, 2012 - 5:39pm

As a Wonder Woman fan, I find this irritating, but then again, most of what DC has done with The New 52 rubs me the wrong way. I don't read JLA (which is the storyline where they have become a couple) but I don't want this to reduce her to being "Superman's Girlfriend."

DC Women Kicking Ass pretty much summed it up for me here:

>_<

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated August 24, 2012 - 7:05pm

@Brian - In the reboot Wonder Woman is about 5'11 and Superman is about 6'3.

Wonder Woman's picture
Wonder Woman from RI is reading 20th Century Ghosts August 24, 2012 - 3:06pm

Wonder Woman has always been 5' 11" actually. Or at least, since Perez.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated August 24, 2012 - 7:06pm

Right, my point is that there is no in character reason to draw Superman as not being taller then her.

Stacy_R_Haynes's picture
Stacy_R_Haynes from North Charleston, SC is reading Coffee Break Screenwriter August 25, 2012 - 6:47pm

I'm indifferent to the pairing. Hopefully it will be worth reading.