Hurry! 'The Hunger Games' Trailer Is Here!!!

First trailer for The Hunger Games released

The first full-length trailer for the film adaption of The Hunger Games is here! Let's watch, shall we?

Wait... what?!? This is the American tween version of Battle Royale! Someone really ought to call Koushun Takami. He may have a lawsuit on his hands.

Okay, in all seriousness, The Hunger Games is the first in a trilogy of novels written by Suzanne Collins. Said trilogy is being adapted for the big screen, ostensibly to fill the hole left in our hearts now that youth-oriented properties like Harry Potter and Twilight have run their cinematic course.

Here's the synopsis of The Hunger Games movie:

Every year in the ruins of what was once North America, the evil Capitol of the nation of Panem forces each of its twelve districts to send a teenage boy and girl to compete in the Hunger Games. A twisted punishment for a past uprising and an ongoing government intimidation tactic, The Hunger Games are a nationally televised event in which "Tributes" must fight with one another until one survivor remains.

I've resisted the temptation to pick these up (it hasn't been hard), but has anyone read the trilogy? I'm interested to know if they're any good. Just because it's YA doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. I will defend Harry Potter until my death. But every time the trailer for the new Twilight movie comes on television I burst out in spontaneous laughter, because I can't. I just can't.

Author: Suzanne Collins
Price: $8.77
Publisher: Scholastic Press (2010)
Binding: Paperback, 384 pages

Comments

Matt Ramsden's picture
Matt Ramsden from Wakefield, MA is reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath November 15, 2011 - 7:28am

The trailer looks absolutely phenomenal! I absolutely can't wait for this film.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break November 15, 2011 - 7:32am

Uniformed kids trying to survive in the jungle.  We've seen this before:

Tim's picture
Tim from Philadelphia is reading approximately eight different books. Most unsuccessfully. November 15, 2011 - 8:44am

I listened to the audio book version of this trilogy and loved it (and I'm better known for disliking things just on principle). I cannot wait to see these books come to film. I wasn't sure about Jennifer Lawrence in the role of Katniss (the main character) until I saw Winter's Bone the other day. The newly released HG trailer proves she is perfectly cast.

And there is no way these books can be compared to the Twilight series. To paraphrase Stephen King: “The Hunger Games is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts November 15, 2011 - 8:52am

STOKED

The Hunger games is some of the best trash fiction to come out in the decade. You can totally see through every convention but it has so much breakneck speed that you can't help but love it. So if you can tolerate YA at all, you will probably dig this series.

It's the idiot's guide to Battle Royale, but yeah, each plot point in the first book is lifted pretty much exactly from like season 12 of Survivor tv series.

theidiotbox's picture
theidiotbox from New Rochelle, NY November 15, 2011 - 9:06am

I loved the 1st book, I haven't read the last two in the triology, but the movie adaption looks really good. I'm really excited for it!

Kirk's picture
Admin
Kirk from Pingree Grove, IL is reading The Book Of The New Sun November 15, 2011 - 9:38am

I've got a friend who teaches 6th Grade English and he insists that I should read these. I always feel like his idea of "good" is skewed towards the stuff 6th grade kids like though. That trailer was good enough though, I suppose.

misskokamon's picture
misskokamon from San Francisco is reading The Moonlit Mind November 15, 2011 - 2:13pm

This is one of those rare cases where I plan to see the film first... then read the book.

Bradley Sands's picture
Bradley Sands from Boston is reading Greil Marcus's The History of Rock 'N' Roll in Ten Songs November 15, 2011 - 5:30pm

This movie was good when it was called Battle Royale.

Gregory Marlow's picture
Gregory Marlow November 16, 2011 - 6:27am

Rob W. Hart

"Just because it's YA doesn't necessarily mean it's bad."

Renfield

"So if you can tolerate YA at all, you will probably dig this series."

I think it is interesting that these two quotes imply that I should be surprised by the existence of a YA book that doesn't suck.  I understand that it is easy for people who are not familiar with the world of YA to simply equate the term with Jacob's abs and Bella's poor judgement.  But if anyone reading this thinks YA means "Twilight-like" then please realise that is like judging all Thrillers based on one James Patterson novel.  There is garbage in all genres of writing (although I wouldn't necessarily call YA a genre).

I am an avid YA and middle grade fan and I am a 31 year old heterosexual man.  I read it because I believe it provides solid and entertaining plots with just enough substance to keep you up at night considering the implications.  It is the same reason I am a Science Fiction fan as well.  For the most part YA does not have Litereary Fiction's tendency to brow beat you with the authors ideas of the meaning of life.  And it does not have the often tired or recycled ideas that sometimes sneak into a lot of genre fiction.

This does not mean all YA is great, it has its stinkers too.  But with names like Judy Blume, Jerri Spinelli, Lois Lowry, and Sherman Alexie, please don't act surprised to hear that there is some good YA out there.

As for the Hunger Games, it isn't going to change your life, but it belongs in a completely different ball park than Twilight.  It is solid storytelling and VERY entertaining and exciting.  The movie looks like a really well done interpritation (and it should be considering the author also helped write the script)  I am totally showing up opening night dressed as Haymitch.

Greg

SGJ's picture
SGJ from Midland, Texas (but in Boulder, Colorado, now) is reading weird fiction and horror fiction and science fiction and literary fiction and innovative fiction, or maybe a romance or a western or a magazine on bowhunting or show trucks or anthropology November 16, 2011 - 8:58am

excited for this. dug the trilogy (seemed to be another take on "The Lottery," as "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" kind of was. also, I always read Less Than Zero as an extension of Omelas. and, heck, I guess we could even read The Girl Next Door as some version of Omelas [talking Ketchum, not Elisha Cithbert]. but not really a version of "The Lottery." could be I just secretly [formerly secretly] might prefer Omelas. to say nothing at all bad ever about "The Lottery," of course).

also, Katniss reminds me of . . . was her name 'Cattie-Brye,' maybe? from The Icewind Dale trilogy.