The Holy Bible Could Become Official State Book Of Louisiana

15 comments
The Holy Bible Could Become Official State Book Of Louisiana

Louisiana has an official state flower (Magnolia), an official state motto ("Union, justice, and confidence"), and within the next few days its official state book could be the Holy Bible.

A House committee voted 8-5 in favor of naming the Bible as Louisiana's first official state book.

Some current opinions:

"I think we're going to open ourselves up to a lawsuit. You can't adopt the Bible and not adopt Christianity."
- Rep. Wesley Bishop, D-New Orleans

"The bill will create more problems than it will solve by telling some Louisianians that their belief system is not fully equal,"
-Louisiana State ACLU

“Why not put all versions of the Bible? If there’s one, what are we saying about the rest of the people?” -Rep. Robert Billiot, D-Westwego

“It’s not to the exclusion of anyone else’s sacred literature. This is not about establishing an official religion of the state of Louisiana.” -Rep. Thomas Carmody, R-Shreveport

The bill is set to come to vote in the next few days.

What do you think about the idea of an official state book? How do you feel about the Bible fulfilling that role?

Image of The Brick Bible: The Complete Set (Brick Bible Presents)
Author: Brendan Powell Smith
Price: $23.13
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing (2013)
Binding: Hardcover, 576 pages

Comments

Ghostword's picture
Ghostword from Cornwall is reading 'The Core of the Sun' by Johanna Sinisalo April 18, 2014 - 10:10am

So the they are saying that in the whole of their literary history, there not one fiction or non-fiction writer that has produced a book of note?  Way to honour your own state.

Joshua Chaplinsky's picture
Joshua Chaplinsky from New York is reading Stories of YOUR Life April 18, 2014 - 10:51am

Regardless of my personal views, seems like they're asking for trouble.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On April 18, 2014 - 11:14am

So between Truman Capote, Anne Rice, Elmore Leonard, and Tennessee Williams, there's not one work there that relates to Lousianna better than the bible? If this were California, I'd seriously be asking for some heads.

eirikodin's picture
eirikodin from Auburn, NY is reading Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler April 18, 2014 - 12:18pm

Didn't the bronze age end 6000 years ago?

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami April 18, 2014 - 3:36pm

Thats an absolute laugh riot. I happen to be reviewing the Bible like a literary novel. That book is an absolute mess in charactization.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 18, 2014 - 5:32pm

I'm an evangelical Christan, and I'm glad they are excited about the Bible, but this isn't a good idea.  Too much president of them having power over/regarding the book.  Plus it gives credence to one version, and state legislatures don't have a place in translation debates.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 18, 2014 - 6:47pm

Bad idea indeed for many reasons.

But does anyone remember that the first amendment only forbids CONGRESS from making laws regarding religion?  Just saying.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 18, 2014 - 8:25pm

I don't think anyone here wrote or implied this was unconstitutional, just poorly thought out.

Sanbai's picture
Sanbai from the Midwest is reading The War of Art April 18, 2014 - 8:47pm

...wait, the Bible was written in Lousiana???? I mean, that's the only way they can claim it...right?

didldidi's picture
didldidi April 19, 2014 - 9:14am

Once this silly idea is struck down, at least they have an infinitely more appropriate alternative available: A Confederacy of Dunces.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 21, 2014 - 6:42am

@ Dwayne

preemptive note, opportunity for reminder and education.

Jeffrey Elliott's picture
Jeffrey Elliott from Edwardsville, Illinois is reading The Open Society and its Enemies April 21, 2014 - 9:35am

Whether one regards the Bible as the revealed word of an all-powerful diety, or as a literary trope source for the western canon, the law is clear about the endorcement of one religion over all others: DON'T!

As a long time supporter of the western literary canon, I keep several translations of the Bible on my bookshelf.  As a secularist and atheist, I opt to treat them with the exact same reverence that I give to Shakespeare, Orwell, Twain, Mencken, or Asimov.

I'm certain that there is a rich history of fantastic works of literature, homegrown in the great state of Louisiana.  Why are none of these being considered? Because Christian Dominionism does not recognize their value.

This is an affront to pluralism, secularism, and to the character of our democracy.  I am appalled that this is even being considered.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 21, 2014 - 2:01pm

@Jeffery - I think it might have more to do with the fact that right now is a fairly unfriendly time toward Christians in America.  Oppression seems too strong a word, but definitely unfriendly. That doesn't make this a good idea, but everyone does things that don't make sense when they act out of fear.

Liam Meilleur's picture
Liam Meilleur from New Orleans is reading The Fall of Kings by Ellen Kushner & Delia Sherman April 21, 2014 - 4:49pm

After living in New Orleans for most of my life, I am inordinately happy that I had to move to upstate New York last August. Between things like the above, creationism in classroom, and the entrapment-based enforcement of sex laws designed to persecute the gay community (laws that, I might add, were banned by the Supreme Court), Louisiana only seems cool on HBO.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 21, 2014 - 5:37pm

@ Jeffrey & @ Dwayne

I, too, am sure that this is LA's reaction to the current trend, at least within the popular media, or marginalizing all things Christian.

Country's getting a little more polarized every day...