Amazon Releases List of 100 Books To Read In a Lifetime

9 comments
In:
Amazon Releases List of 100 Books To Read In a Lifetime

If you could pick 100 books to form an essential library that everyone absolutely must read before they die, what would you put in the collection? While we're waiting for your answer, we'll move on to the new list that Amazon has published, 100 Books To Read in a Lifetime.

The list, while mostly made up of safe choices such as Lewis Carol's Alice in Wonderland, J.D. Salinger's A Catcher In The Rye, Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, and F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, also contains some more interesting selections, including Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Michael Chabon's comic book epic, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

There are some questionable selections on the list, though. Kate Atkinson's 2013 release Life After Life is included on the list, along with Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl from 2012, along with another 2012 release, John Green's The Fault in Our Stars. While these books were met with both critical and commercial success, and there's no doubt a lot of people would include them in their personal lists of the best books they've ever read, these books haven't had the chance to really stand the test of time.

So what do you think? Are there any books that Amazon made a big mistake in not picking? Do you think we'll still be reading and studying Life After Life or other newer releases on the list in 50 years?

Image of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland (Annotated)
Manufacturer: UMash Marketing Ltd
Part Number:
Price:
Author: Gillian Flynn
Price: $14.11
Publisher: Crown (2012)
Binding: Hardcover, 419 pages
Sean May

News by Sean May

Sean May is, among other things, an author, journalist, graphic designer, video game fanatic and feared but charming space pirate (one of those isn't true, but which one?). His fiction work has appeared in Crimefactory and other publications, and his music journalism can be found at Has It Leaked?. His novella, The Case, and a short story collection, Crimewave, can be found on Kindle. Sean lives in Carmel, IN with his wife and a cat.

Comments

postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words February 6, 2014 - 8:37am

there's always a time distortion with these kinds of lists - I am still in the glow of the wonder of books I have read recently, whereas I haven't read 100 years of solitude in forever but I remember having greatly enjoyed it.

Looking over the goodreads voting, 50 shades of grey and all sorts of other toss-away titles are listed. At least it begs the question, what books would you recommend? It entirely depends on the person. I would recommend Gravity's Rainbow to a few people, but not to everyone.

I'm far more interested in titles and authors I'm less familiar with when it comes to these kinds of lists. The safe choices are a given, but not particularly enlightening.

Vladimir Castro's picture
Vladimir Castro from The People's Republic of California is reading Game of Thrones, Damned, and Darksaber February 6, 2014 - 1:29pm

Too many books on this list that aren't even books in my opinion. There are quite a few that probably won't be around in ten years. But most likely I am just a snob.

Christopher Provost's picture
Christopher Provost from Nashua, New Hampshire is reading The Zombie Survival Guide February 7, 2014 - 8:35am

These types of lists are pointless.  Are there books that have stood the test of time and should be recommended?  Of course.  I consider myself fairly well-read (Shakespeare, Melville, Tolstoy, Joyce, Sartre, etc.) but I already know that I would probably hate Austen's Pride and Prejudice, so I've never read it and I have no intention of ever reading it.  I did, however, read Seth Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and I think that should count.  Not everyone is going to get turned onto reading by Shakespeare or Melville, but they just might by King or Palahniuk.  I say, introduce people to reading and let them come up with their own personal lists.  Chances are, many of the books on any Top 100 list will be read by them anyway.

Taylor's picture
Taylor from Portland, Oregon is reading 'Alexander Hamilton' by Ron Chernow February 10, 2014 - 3:34pm

I have read 38 of these, and at least 10 others where I've read other books by that same author but not the book listed. (And about 5 of which I've seen the Masterpiece Classic adaptation of, but haven't read the actual book. :))

I think this is a decent list that culls from a fairly wide variety of genres.  I do think this list was heavily weighted with books that appeal to modern day people living in a priviledged western society. There are lots of books I'd add to it, and plenty I'd take off if it were MY list.

I almost always shy away from these lists, because, hey, you don't know what I like, but I was curious this time. I like that these generate conversation. It also makes me take a second look at a book I might not have picked up otherwise. Some of my favorite books were ones that I picked up to get out of my comfort zone. What I also love about reading some the "best" books is that it opens up for me new avenues of thought or coversation with my fellow humans. When we've read the same books, we can connect on a new level. It's part of participating in culture (for better or worse.)

Marks Danju's picture
Marks Danju December 24, 2016 - 1:27am

Nonetheless, each of the above internet analytics services tools has its own constraints. These tools give you crucial information about your individual habits yet you can do little to raise their conversion rates. For this, you will certainly should take assistance of advanced web page tagging tools like MatrixStats PHP Internet Statistik and Urchin that will certainly aid you to recognize special visitors, their IP addresses and geographical areas. An excellent web analytics services practice is to collect contact details from the site visitors of your website. At times it happens that readers visit your websites several times before positioning an order for an acquisition. An internet analytics consultant should create or call such site visitors and check from them just what made them not to area order with you when they saw your website for the very first time and also just what made them to put the order this moment? One more essential web analytics method is to track the efficiency of your competitors and develop techniques to outwit them.

However, also without the very best prices, there are ways to distinguish your products, become a market leader, as well as ultimately maximize your revenue. Analytics is the brand-new "ace in the hole" of selection for lots of companies. Having a hefty concentrate on analytics enables business making better choices based on an excellent quality of information as well as analysis. These tools could be utilized for a selection of functions, from establishing rates methods to improving your company's brand name loyalty. However, before tackling your analytics technique, it aids to have a couple of pointers.

Go Our Website

remaxabsolute's picture
remaxabsolute December 26, 2016 - 2:52am

This is normal with older residences. With that claimed - buying a rental in Ottawa's downtown could be one of the most effective home acquisitions you can make. Rental earnings is greatest in areas that are in demand, and also units in the golden triangle have the capacity to supply better returns than in various other locations of the city if taken care of properly. Similar to every financial investment possibility, there are pros and cons, but if you're a wise investor, you'll consider them out as properly as you could in the past signing a deal. Visit Here

jimmy3010's picture
jimmy3010 from India is reading Nothing special March 2, 2017 - 2:23pm

If you want to increase your youtube video reach and want to become popular then try our services you can buy high retention youtube views from us .the views are from real people, safe, high quality & very much affordable starting from just $2

jimmy3010's picture
jimmy3010 from India is reading Nothing special March 2, 2017 - 4:03pm

Looking for expat properties Mumbai then visit Expat properties Mumbai & search from thousands of listed properties in Mumbai

jimmy3010's picture
jimmy3010 from India is reading Nothing special March 4, 2017 - 11:33am

Hey, I am thinking to start reading the books one by one.Meanwhile its worth checking this site ConstructoWeb