justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 12, 2014 - 1:30pm

@Thuggish

Ok, that makes sense-thanks!

@Scrivener

I've never read in a dream; and why DO we remember dreams? I can usually remember them for a while afterward, and some I never forget. Any Freudians out there? Or did Jung have anything to say about this? My knowledge in this area is very hazy.

TheScrivener's picture
TheScrivener from Seattle is reading short stories March 12, 2014 - 6:52pm

I'd hate to think what my dreams would have to say about me---"You're permanently five years old.  And full of hate."

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 12, 2014 - 11:08pm

You're too funny! I'm sure you're not too full of hate. :)

Well, I'm a product of the old parochial-school system of the South: can you say,"I'm sorry!" "I'm guilty" etc., etc.,  ad infinitum. God bless the Irish nuns and priests.

So my dreams probably condemn me properly to "purgatory"-- that great place--hold the drumroll--where you can conveniently pay for your sins and wait...and wait..and wait, oh whatever-to get to heaven!! Step right up!

Sorry. Actually I usually have benign dreams except in times of stress. Then, surprise! they are full of angst.

Which is why I like Thuggish's dreams of flying. Let's break free!

My mom (for good reason) was very stressed while she was carrying me.. Maybe that carried over.

And BTW, totally OT, but I saw again a great movie, "Seven Psychopaths," and I thought about this group. Colin Farrell, Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, etc. What a great movie... I seriously recommend it.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 12, 2014 - 11:42pm

Ok, um, didn't mean to imply "this group" is psychopathic...sorry for any misunderstanding. Just thought that the topic of and the movie itself would be of interest to the group.. oh whatever.. sigh.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! March 13, 2014 - 2:48am

Actually I think you mean me, with the flying dreams thing :)

And yeah, Seven Psychopaths is cool, I assume the connection to this group came from the fact it's about a writer...?

Angel Colón's picture
Angel Colón from The Bronx now living in New Jersey is reading A Big Ol' Pile of Books March 13, 2014 - 3:34am

If we're bringing up Seven Psychopaths, I call Tom Waits and his rabbit. Mostly because of the rabbit.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal March 13, 2014 - 3:39pm

@ justwords

the flying dream i had was terrible, more like floating away.  kind of like those minions in the first despicable me movie without the humor.  pretty sure it has something to do with being out of control of my destiny, something like that.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 13, 2014 - 7:59pm

@voodoo

yes! that's what I meant, and I'd seen a part of the 7 Ps, but not all of it.... I really liked it!

@Angel

Ok the rabbit was cute.. but Bonnie had a certain, I don't know, flair? Any movie Christopher Walken is in, I know I'm going to like--he's just too weird; that movie he was Gabriel in was good too. My girlfriends think I'm strange with some of the movies I like; it's nice to know I'm not crazy!

@Thuggish

I'm not sure it's bad to be out of control sometimes of your destiny; many times I've not had a lot of control over mine, due to my choices, it must be said.

The flying I've had in small planes (and I've never piloted a plane!) was way cool.... I loved how the landscape you think you've known for years looks so alien from above.. And it's all beautiful. If there is reincarnation, I vote to be a bird! Preferably one that doesn't get shot for food (i.e., pigeons, quail)!!

Cheers! Weekend's almost here and we are at 60 degrees now!! YaY!! Come on SPRINGTIME!!

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal March 14, 2014 - 12:14pm

^

i think you're thinking of someone else's post.

anyway, remember if you interpret a dream, it's about your feeling, what's in your head at the tim, not necessarily what you think or believe.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami March 14, 2014 - 6:56pm

I had a dream my metallic clothing shelf looked like a bald shark toothed grey vampire face screaming at me. I think you can imagine my feelings.

justwords's picture
justwords from suburb of Birmingham, AL is reading The Tomb, F. Paul Wilson; A Long Way Down, Nick Hornby March 14, 2014 - 10:44pm

@Thuggish

Your response before the one 3.14 @ 2:14 pm was about your dream of flying and being out of control of your destiny, as in "Despicable Me" and as in "flying away." I was responding to that.

I still wonder if Androids would dream of Electric Sheep...

Grigori Black's picture
Grigori Black from US is reading Radium Girls by Amanda Gowin March 15, 2014 - 3:09am

I've had several recurring dreams all my life. The most common one is usually of a large desert. I find myself wandering in a semi-nomadic fashion across a barren landscape with remnants and fragments of civilization strewn about.

The other one is more of an element than a recurring dream: The ability to fly. It's a weird form of flying though, where I can simply will myself to fly if I don't think about it. The more I try to focus, the harder it is to fly.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami March 15, 2014 - 5:30pm

Of course they can, you just have to program it correctly! (I just love that mechanics joke.)

I'm going to see what I can do with the dream I had last night, write a short story of it, and then I might mention it later here.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal March 16, 2014 - 9:45am

@justwords

oh, i guess it was me.  floating is a better word than flying, and the feeling was always 50% or less control over the phenomenon.  never a good feeling.

Natso's picture
Natso from Mongolia is reading Moby Dick March 16, 2014 - 10:35am

@Grigori Black,

I think some people were asking for you in this thread.

Recurring dream: I'm trying to run, but the air is thick and my feet don't touch the ground fast enough. Or, I've killed someone, and I'm regretting the heinous deed and wake up to find myself in tears. (Happened only once or twice) This qualifies me as a tortured soul, aka a writer, right?

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find September 30, 2015 - 2:15pm

I've had to many recurring dreams to name them all.
The scariest one is when I'm driving at night and I'm always up high on this skinny bridge or overpass and it's always falling apart, or like the bridge on Speed it's not finished. Then I either wake while I'm falling or I do some kind of weird dream floating jump to the other side. The last time, I was in my old car(she had just died, sniff,sniff) and when we land I'm stuck it the top of some trees at the side of the highway. Then I look in the backseat while I'm trying to climb out, and my 12 year old girl is a toddler again, and she is in a carseat back there! So when I had her in the tree finally - I wake up. That was the only time she was in it.
I have these other dreams, some are warnings that have come true, I'll save that for the next post.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find September 30, 2015 - 2:29pm

Karen,
I totally believe you about the hag lady. I've seen her. Only as a child, but I'll never forget it. She had green skin and a raspy voice and when I saw her I was so afraid I couldn't move. I was awake every time. She used to call me to her. I would think she was my mother too, like right when I was about to drift off. It sounded like my mother whispering to me until I saw her. I remember her hand the most. She was always beckoning me. One time I considered it, but I was still too scared to move. Only prayer made it stop.
When I read your first post, I knew it was some kind of demon bothering you. It wasn't until I started thinking about my own vision, the scariest one ever, that I knew we had been visited by the same one. Aren't demons famous for bothering pretty girls? Not that they don't bother pretty boys. I'm sure they do. Anyway, you are not alone.
I hope this isn't offensive. But I had to tell you.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami September 30, 2015 - 3:23pm

It seems like my dreams have changed much over the last few months. Not lets scary, just less supernatural. Though there does seem to be recurring themes:

1. The nature of reality.

2. The nature of familiarity.

3. The nature of idealism vs. cynicism across a lifetime.

4. The nature of sanity vs. insanity.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find October 24, 2015 - 2:38am

I have the worst  recurring dreams.

Not the worst like scary, or sad. Just aggrivating.

Some of these dreams are about a man I've known over half my life. We've never been more than friends, but you would never know it from the dreams about him I keep having.

Some of the dreams have come true. The only problem is that by the time I realize I dreamt it, having that deja vu feeling- I've already lived out at least half of the dream in real life. So by the time I can see what is going on, the warning the dream provided is useless, and I am doomed to repeat the dream, during my waking hours.

What is the point of that?

I could see having a warning dream maybe a month or two before the event. But I have had them maybe a year or two ahead of time. Sure, I remember the dream after the real-life event happens, or if I'm lucky, right in the middle of the event. But I don't see any advantage in that at all.

I guess like falling in love- you don't pick what you get to dream about.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami October 24, 2015 - 8:23pm

Also giant green porcupines chasing after you in a room without a lamp light.

Or between 2013 and 2014, increasingly hyper political dreams that went against the standard Man With Mushroom Shaped Head with black trench coat energy vampire dude chasing me through a dark forest.

Praying Mantises and Greys as well, though the objects of another discussion in itself.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find October 24, 2015 - 8:31pm

I guess I shouldn't complain about my dreams.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated October 26, 2015 - 3:17pm

My reoccuring dream was walking in front of my grandparent's home. In real life to have them open the front door required leaning over and knocking on a window, since you couldn't hear someone knocking otherwise. In real life this never bothered me even though it meant standing at a slightly awkward angle. In the dream it was sheer terror. When I'd knock I'd bolt upright scream, almost always on the couch.

@Gordan - Dude, great thread idea! Novel names you don't think you'll ever write!

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami October 26, 2015 - 5:55pm

I think my latest nightmare is if you crossed over H.P. Lovecraft, David Weatherly (of black eyed kids fame), and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

The cat splitting itself and putting itself back together as a cat, dog, frog hybrid was the weirdest. Forget about cats drinking shower can water.

Dollface993: To be fair, the more realistic dreams like yours can be some of the worst.

I have those dreams that are so scary, they almost paradoxically are no longer scary. Kind of like how one would die laughing if there really was a blob.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find October 30, 2015 - 2:41am

Okay, so say you have these prophetic dreams, you know that if you have one- it will come true. There are usually markers for these kinds of dreams. They are much clearer and harder to forget.

I used to wake up sweating in the middle of the night because I had quit smoking about ten years prior- and I kept having these dreams that I was smoking again. A couple years later I got stuck in a job where I was surrouded by smoke, life pressures added and sure enough- I started smoking again, not even remembering the dream until I was good and hooked again. SMH.

Now- I have actually remembered a dream in time- I think.

It's about a person I met and care about- I dreamed it would happen, but of course didn't remember until yesterday. In this dream, we became very close, and cared about each other a great deal. Then I did something to screw it up, and this person hated me and became a total jerk to me about it. I lost our friendship- in the dream.

I usually don't lose friends, at least not that easily, and I can't even remember what I did in the dream to mess it up. I don't want to lose this friendship, or any for that matter, but I can't remember. Maybe it's out of my control and there is nothing I can do, but I remember this time! Is there anything I can do?

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami October 30, 2015 - 5:36pm

I used to have those all the time. If it's any consolation, it's usually no reflection on you.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find October 30, 2015 - 7:49pm

I hope that doesn't mean I'm going to start having dreams like you do now! I don't think I would be such a calm, good dreamer as you!

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami October 31, 2015 - 1:34pm

Well actually I woke up both my parents and mom had to check to make sure something didn't have to me particularly in my later teen years.

I've had ones that still somewhat diverged from reality, but were similar enough to my present reality to be unnerving and scary.

A good example is if you had a grandmother that always made awesome cookies. Well then the dream features your grandmother complaining about always baking cookies for you.

Even if it didn't happen, it's just believable enough that it could.:/

In the mean time, I'm going to find myself a prosthetic elephant nose and a chicken beak mask to mirror the look of one of my monsters from a current nightmare.

If I could find a cat, dog, frog hybrid that be great too.

timothydanger's picture
timothydanger from Texas is reading Chasing Suns October 31, 2015 - 1:55pm

I have a repeating dream since I was a child. I'm tied to a chair and there is dynamite at my feet. A 6 foot tall cockroach is telling me he's blowing up everything. Then I wake up as he presses down on the plunger.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami October 31, 2015 - 2:48pm

Dude that sounds like an amazing Offspring song!^^ But definitely a weird dream.

Yes I'm an Offspring fan.