Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 26, 2012 - 3:27pm

Not to get too metaphysical, but what about breaking the book into three sections - Cracked, Broken, Shattered

So each section would be split by a section title and an image that corresponds to the description. I don't think anyone would argue that the mind is a fragile thing and one of the most fragile things I can think of is glass. A somewhat breakdown could be like this.

Cracked - calmer stories and those with more common disorders (image - a hand mirror with a crack)

Broken - okay we're starting to get a little more out there now and these people aren't looking like they can be saved (image something made of glass where a chunk is broke off of it)

Shattered - the shit has hit the fan and there is no hope or redemption for these people (something on the ground in multiple jagged pieces)

Or I'm sure people have seen the images of people looking at themselves in a cracked mirror to represent how they feel broken. Use something like that instead to go with each section title. So someone looking at themselves in a mirror that's become more and more fractured.

Cracked examples

Broken examples

Shattered Examples

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 26, 2012 - 3:30pm

Well the case folder idea could be an Internet site thing then if too much to replicate

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. February 26, 2012 - 3:39pm

You guys tell me what all your options or suggestions are and I will create a poll.

So far we have the ones Renee and I discussed.

Jason's section idea.

The idea of no sections.

SurLeQuai's picture
SurLeQuai from Indiana is reading The Night Circus February 26, 2012 - 7:09pm

I'm likin' this cracked, broken, shattered stuff. Quite a bit. It's so far the simplest and rolls off the tongue the easiest.

SurLeQuai's picture
SurLeQuai from Indiana is reading The Night Circus February 26, 2012 - 7:10pm

And yeah, the case file thing on the site would be cool.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 26, 2012 - 7:25pm

Cracked, Broken, Shattered sounds like a good idea in theory, but then it fucks up the pacing of the book. You put all your "calm" stories together, all your mid paced stories together, and then all your crazy ones at the end. Again, I see the reader skipping sections and/or putting the antho down before they read most of the stories.

IMO, the best way to do it is a way where we can still mix up the stories and the reader doesn't know whether the next one will be a compelling look into a serious condition or a wild ride ending with blood and semen flying everywhere.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters February 26, 2012 - 7:29pm

I agree with Renee.  And I'm being sincere this time.

If we start grouping them by weirdness, I think it will mess with the structure of the book.  You want a good mixture in there.  In all reality, we could just have Part I, Part II, Part III - keep it simple.

Or... File Number I, File Number II...not that, because that sounds dumb.  But something like that.

Bekanator's picture
Bekanator from Kamloops, British Columbia is reading Ugly Girls by Lindsay Hunter February 26, 2012 - 7:53pm

I'm for the sections now, and I feel like Renee's idea is the best.  It's like a strange irony, how she used my story as an example, but it's also pretty damn brilliant.

I still like the idea of having different names for the sections, with stories based on a similar theme.  Just keep the terms broad but interesting.

SurLeQuai's picture
SurLeQuai from Indiana is reading The Night Circus February 26, 2012 - 8:45pm

Yeah, Renee's got my vote, too.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz February 26, 2012 - 8:56pm

I don't think the file thing sounds so dumb. That gives the reader nothing, but divides the thing up just enough. There might be something there. I think you guys are right about not 'over-categorizing' things, though. The stories should be edited together in a way that is very subtle and gives the reader various things at various times.

Like humor following devastation, breaths of fresh air after mind rattling suffocation. Brevity interspersed here and there in between longer pieces. It can be as simple as a word or theme. Pela did that a lot in Warmed and Bound. There would be something like laundromats or laundry in a couple of stories. Then loss. Etc., Etc. So that there is this underlying continuation throughout that the reader may or may not even be completely conscious of.

Meanwhile, because it is subliminal, we can read their minds, sneaking into their thoughts while they're reading, and steal all of their bank account information thereby making the entire project, and all of its lovely, talented writers incredibly wealthy in the process.

Then there will be a massive celebration party at Linton's underwater cave. But be warned, he said we'd all have to go nude (at least the young women) and without tanks. So start working on your lungs.

Psychosis: An Anthology of Blood and Semen Flying Everywhere

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 26, 2012 - 10:48pm

Out of context that phrase is at least ten times more hilarious than when I first wrote it.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 27, 2012 - 9:48am

The only thing I would argue about my suggestion as it's an accurate representation of psychosis. I don't give a shit if there is a shitty show on TV called 'Snapped' - nobody is fine one moment and then BAM instant Looney Tunes. The mind is like the windshield of a car - it starts with a pebble cracking it and if left untreated it will slowly spread until it's beyond repair. Plus you don't put all the crazy people together in an institution - you put them grouped.

Then again I can see the reasoning against sections as well.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 27, 2012 - 10:33am

shhh  something is moving in my brain..

Just a quick thought now: we could regroup the stories based on diagnosis, like

- Single Diagnosis

- Comorbidity

- Undiagnosed

It's a classification that doesn't necessarily imply a hierarchy, as a single disease can result in as much blood and semen flying everywhere as if you go totally undiagnosed. Just brainstorming.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 11:03am

Hmmm....

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 27, 2012 - 11:33am

oh, and Renee, you can follow @wandmore on twitter, she is a character in my story (I should update it sometimes though, I will)

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 11:35am

Okay, so here's my idea.

Section one: Blood

Section two: Semen

Section three: Flying Everywhere.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 11:40am

As an aside, may I reccomend using the hashtag #psychosisanthology on twitter and tumblr for those of us who might be whoring it but are not using the official means?

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 27, 2012 - 11:40am

Renee is freaking me out.....

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 27, 2012 - 11:45am

Yeah! #psychosisanthology #semen and #blood #everywhere!!!!

EDIT: #flying

Nighty Nite's picture
Nighty Nite from NJ is reading Grimscribe: His Lives and Works February 27, 2012 - 11:54am

I like the cracked, broken, shattered thing. I also had an idea for one section being called:

Deeper Down the Rabbit Hole. Stories that deal with the protagonists descent into madness. Also:

Themselves and Others. Stories where the protagonists are a danger to those around them.

Those are the only two I can think of at the moment. There would need to be more than that if we were to use this idea, since the stories don't fit under those two categories completely.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. February 27, 2012 - 12:00pm

It reminds me of a Tool lyric from "Prison Sex": Blood, shit, and cum on my hands.

Although in the video they censor "Shit and cum" in the lyrics.  Damn it.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 27, 2012 - 1:03pm

blood, shit and cum.. it reminds me of Imperial Bedrooms

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 1:37pm

Yeah, but we convinced Dakota not to write about shit milkshakes, so it's just blood and semen, really. Well, there is vomit and shit in my story, so yeah, why not?

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 1:38pm

@Jason I swear it's Chester's fault.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 27, 2012 - 3:59pm

Maybe it's just me, but I'm curious what the ranking of these stories would be if they were arranged from those nice, touching stories to the "OMG I just puked in my mouth" variety. Literary merit aside - strictly looking at "freak factor" and "this isn't an author you'd want to take a long car ride with."

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. February 27, 2012 - 4:21pm

You just want that cause you know your story would win the freak factor, Jason.

.'s picture
. February 27, 2012 - 4:23pm

Oh the shit milkshakes are coming, I'm just waiting for the right time to write it. It has to be written very carefully like it's the next American classic.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig February 27, 2012 - 4:32pm

And it will be, Dakota. It will be.

An aside, I was trying to explain the blood and semen flying everywhere thing to Husband and said "wait, I want to read it to you in context so you don't think you accidentally married a crazy woman." His response? "It wasn't an accident." That's true love, folks.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 27, 2012 - 5:07pm

Well no, I read the posts of people on here and know how they sound, and I wonder how that translates to the actual stories in the collection.

I thought mine was a "little" out there doing the first draft, but I didn't think it extreme till you said to make it more so. :P

But like that story is the complete opposite of things I'd say - or fully reveal - to normal, run-of-the-mill people. So what's not to stop someone from posting on here about shit milkshakes to have a story about the healing power of ponies.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. February 27, 2012 - 7:53pm

So is everyone a part of the dropbox thing that flaminia set up now???

Cause I have started to share mp3s and kindle files in there if you are interested.  We could also share stories, etc.

enough's picture
enough from Indiana is reading Warmed and Bound February 27, 2012 - 9:10pm

I'm going to give my two cents worth on having sections. I really don't mind if we have sections, but I definitely don't think the should be grouped with like stories. I think that would be a bad decision because I feel it needs to be a variety from beginning to end. I also liked what Chester said about a subliminal like message in the order which they go. So with all that being said, an idea came to me last night as I went off to sleep. What if we take the titles and make a flash piece out of them and that is the order they go in? So here is my flas with titles only and no added words.

Puppet Show released Saturns game everywhere and nowhere. The frequent flyer, doughboy in control, silence grandmother. Shrill cries cut the quiet. Sermons of my childhood sine qua non. Trial by fire charred dear baby doll perfectly natural.

The thing about Fin snapping rubber bands pest a table for one, grin on the rocks. The woman ahead of me jump, run into his arms.

Phantom Paris, another lost day in the absence of violence. Wake holes, filters and the days in between neurotic hooky, job security? This is what living like this does. The long hall of dead days.

Separated into three parts to maybe make more sense? I don't know. I was up till 3:30 am and my mind came up with idea after a long day, so this can be complete weirdness on my part? Just a suggestion for the order of the stories, and I have no suggestions for the name of the parts. Okay crazies, this be all I gots!
Peace

jl85's picture
jl85 from originally East Tennessee now Southern California is reading everything I can February 28, 2012 - 1:20am

I'm with Jason on the Cracked, Broken and Shattered. Got my attention reading it. But then again, if there is no real seperation or division I'm cool with that as well.

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 28, 2012 - 2:34am

whoa. 30+ creative minds at work, trying to find a compromise. This is dopey. I have played in a 12 elements reggae band and I needed a lobotomy after each rehearsing session to reset my brain to factory settings. I'll just sit down for now and breathe deep, letting it all go and now inhale, exhale, inhale, hold, exhale, like this, nice and easy..

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 28, 2012 - 12:28pm

For the record I can't seem to change anything when it comes to the Dropbox files. I tried to put a message in the chat file and got nadda. I see glasses too like it's a read only thing?

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff February 28, 2012 - 1:44pm

Do you open files from your pc folder or from the dropbox webpage Jason? From the pc folder it's easier, you just write and save. From the webpage.. I don't remember but probably you have to substitute the file with a new one there.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows February 28, 2012 - 3:45pm

I open the files using the system icon tray in the bottom right near my clock. Tried opening the folder too. I can read the files fine - like the chat one - but as soon as I start typing nothing happens.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. February 28, 2012 - 3:59pm

That's weird. Maybe a block by an antivirus program?

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin March 1, 2012 - 8:55pm

So, I keep searching the hashtag and I find that nobody is using it. Oh, I used it, I know that the Sparrow used it, it was her awesome idea and like I said, I keep searching the hashtag.

I love twitter. I'm all about it.

For Sale, Baby Shoes, Never Used.

But, sadly, I cannot find a way to adapt my narrator or his victim to the twitter format without being much too strange (even for me). I know that a bunch of you have actually gone through the trouble to make twitter accounts for characters.

Now, I'll retweet them on @Montaagge to my nearly 300 followers, but if it makes you feel better I wouldn't feel too bad about retweeting them on @Perhaps2Klever to their 1.4k followers. If that is enough to get you excited about using the hashtag. I know we aren't to the point of heavy marketing yet, but in my experience if you wait until release on stuff like Twitter it isn't good. Like, when the book is out and people are actually searching that hashtag you want it to bring up a million tweets from us and our characters that will get them excited and tantalized about the whole deal.

Twitter, do it.

@enough, I LOVE that idea. But it is for pretty selfish reasons. (those being that, Puppet show comes first, it reminds me of my Reading Rainbow song) meh, naming sections goes in a different thread now.

But, hey, twitter. use the hashtag:

#psychosisanthology

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff March 2, 2012 - 2:35am

Yeah I know I'm not using it, but I plan on doing it soon. I was just thinking, wouldn it be creepy if we start (the characters I mean) casually retweeting each other, then havin little psychotic tweeps conversations? because I tend to deal with things in a playful way, I just thought this would be fun. And then start using the hashtag too.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 2, 2012 - 9:13pm

Nick, did you create the hashtag?  We can all write to it as our characters like flaminia said.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin March 2, 2012 - 9:23pm

I never claimed it was my idea. That would be silly. I would have made a new thread called "I like to steal Renee's ideas" instead of posting it like on the same page as her original post.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 2, 2012 - 9:51pm

wait, so it already exists or it doesn't??  I'm confused.

Nick Wilczynski's picture
Nick Wilczynski from Greensboro, NC is reading A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin March 2, 2012 - 9:55pm

If you had twitter you could check really easily. Maybe even add another tweet.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 2, 2012 - 11:33pm

wait, I can use twitter.  Thank you, Nick.  You have freed me from the genie bottle.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig March 3, 2012 - 1:54pm

Nick is referring to my previous post here about using the hashtag #psychosisanthology on twitter and tumblr when we are talking about it in those forums, especially since I am not sure I can make a twitter just for Charles or Finn work, but I am going to be talking about the anthology on my personal account. The hashtag makes it so someone can just search the hashtag and see everything that has been posted about it.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz March 3, 2012 - 2:02pm

Don't mistweet me.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig March 3, 2012 - 2:23pm

*sad trombone*

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 3, 2012 - 4:40pm

Okay, that sounds like an inclusive and logical decision, Renee.  I am in favor.  Yay teamwork!