Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 26, 2014 - 7:07am

I'm in the middle of revising a novella, and this it looks like.  I was wondering what yours look like.

Kristi's picture
Kristi from Connecticut is reading Anything I can get my hands on! April 26, 2014 - 9:36am

Mine looks just like that only with snarky little comments and helpful advice in the margins! ;)

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries April 26, 2014 - 10:38am

I can understand why there might be a certain satisfaction in doing it that way. I just erase and rewrite though.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 26, 2014 - 1:04pm

^

That's me, too.  Though I leave myself notes with the "review" tab these days.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 26, 2014 - 2:13pm

It lets me recheck myself later, more practical than anything else.

Matt L.'s picture
Matt L. from Texas is reading Tenth of December: Stories April 27, 2014 - 11:24am

I go back and revise often while writing my first draft. I know, I know, es verboten. In those instances, like Linda, I just delete and write in the new stuff. Also, like Thuggish, I leave lots of notes. In fact, for some strange reason, I often end up writing most of my first draft in the notes and then typing it back into the actual text field, so I usually know what the text said originally.

Once the first draft is done I like to print it out and edit the physical copy. I type those edits into a new file (not rewriting the entire thing, just pasting the text from draft one into a new file and adding/subtracting based on my physical manuscript's edits). Repeat as needed. Attached is sample page from the first draft of my previous novel that I made edits too. Pretty much every page has red ink so I just picked one.

Matt L.'s picture
Matt L. from Texas is reading Tenth of December: Stories April 27, 2014 - 11:25am

Also, please pardon my serial killer handwriting...

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami April 27, 2014 - 3:36pm

I tend to do a complete rewrite (using notes a put in the margins) based on a drastically reworked seven point structure.

Grigori Black's picture
Grigori Black from US is reading Radium Girls by Amanda Gowin April 28, 2014 - 2:33am

This is probably the most coherent bit. A lot of color coding and notes in my other areas.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 28, 2014 - 8:29am

You know what's strange (if you know me) is that I just about never forget different ways I've phrased things.  In fact, sometimes as I'm reading my own stuff I think to rephrase it a way I have in the past and instantly remember why I changed it last time.  It's like I have the same writing tendencies no matter what...

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami April 28, 2014 - 9:46am

Oh and revising poetry is different from revising prose. Just something I've found from getting back into poetry after a long period of time.

With an epic (let's say 22 stanza's), your not just thinking about plot structure but also whether each syllable is used to it's omptimum effect.