bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. September 6, 2012 - 9:31am

Recently bought Batman: Black Mirror and The Boys (1-26, I think) off comixology.  Excited for both.

.'s picture
. September 6, 2012 - 12:33pm
Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 6, 2012 - 1:52pm

been on a bit of a buying rampage at Amazon, wallowing in the belly of the best.

to get caught up on some Stephen Graham Jones stories in several anthologies:

Phantom, edited by Paul Tremblay and Sean Wallace
Ghosts: Recent Hauntings, edited by Paula Guran
Creatures: Thirty Years of Monsters, edited by John Langan and Paul Tremblay

and, thanks to Mr. Goutis, a shitload of BEE:

The Informers
The Rules of Attraction
Lunar Park
Imperial Bedrooms

as well as Boston Noir and Manhattan Noir 2

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. September 6, 2012 - 10:33pm

Batman: The Black Mirror is fucking awesome.  It stars Dick Grayson as Batman (not Bruce Wayne), but it's still amazing.  It's right up there with Batman: Year One.  If you like Year One, try this book out.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon September 7, 2012 - 5:21am

Richard: Well you kind of convinced me to drop some cash, so I had to do the same to you. haha

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies September 7, 2012 - 7:13am

lol, yeah, thanks PG.

funny story. you know how Amazon (new OR used) often comes in these crappy boxes, so the books are banged up? of course some of the paperbacks were dinged in my massive BEE order. then i go to look at the Lunar Park hardcover 1st/1st, and it's SIGNED by BEE. how awesome.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon September 7, 2012 - 7:29am

Yeah, I always hear stories of people getting surprised with a signature when the order books. I'm just waiting for it to happen to ME one day! That's awesome though that you got that.

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore September 7, 2012 - 8:10am

A signed one via Amazon?? How in the world does that happen? I mean, I get when you order one directly from a brick n mortar, they might've had the author in for an appearance, but the warehouses? Crazy. Was it from another seller?

Way long ago, I spent three days with the surviving cast of Gilligan's Island on a promo tour. Yeah. A terribly uninteresting story, other than having beers with Bob Denver while he ranted about how much he hated that fucking fishing hat. Anyway, talking signed books, when "The Professor" gave me a copy of his autobio, I got to ask him face-to-face that clichéd fan question about how he could build a radio out of a coconut but not patch a damn hole in the boat. "Well, you know, Gordon, that's a …" and then I tuned out.

There probably is/should be a thread about this somewhere.

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon September 7, 2012 - 9:34am

Gordon said: I bought a used Empire Falls a few years ago. Pure coincidence, went to see Richard Russo read a week or two later, happened to open up my book beforehand and saw that it had already been signed by him.

So did you have him just add the "To Gordon:" ?

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore September 7, 2012 - 10:07am

Didn't even hop in the line, just listened. That guy's a good writer.

Robert.B's picture
Robert.B from Northern Ireland is reading The Last of the Savages By Jay McInerney September 19, 2012 - 10:22am

Americana by Don Delillo

White Noise by Don Delillo

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

drea's picture
drea from Rural Alberta, Canada is reading between the lines September 19, 2012 - 2:59pm

I just grabbed Cloud Atlas yesterday. Can't wait to finish Faulkner and wade into Mitchell's world.

Alex Kane's picture
Alex Kane from west-central Illinois is reading Dark Orbit September 20, 2012 - 7:10pm

Blackbirds and Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig (already finished both, and they're fucking great), The Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis, Makers by Cory Doctorow, Zoo City by Lauren Beukes, The Collected Stories of Amy HempelHome by Toni Morrison, and a couple ancient Philip K. Dick paperbacks from the '50s and '60s. Reading the Ellis one now, and it's pretty great so far. Trying to get through R. L. Stine's "adult horror" novel, Red Rain, as well--but it sucks big-time so far. (Got a free ARC for review, since I'm a regular Bookgasm contributor.)

Andrez Bergen's picture
Andrez Bergen from Melbourne, Australia + Tokyo, Japan is reading 'The Spirit' by Will Eisner October 15, 2012 - 1:08am

"Philip K. Dick paperbacks from the '50s and '60s"... yum. Classic stuff.

Jay.SJ's picture
Jay.SJ from London is reading Warmed and Bound October 15, 2012 - 1:39am

TV Snorted MY Brain by Bradley Sands

Matthew Lyall's picture
Matthew Lyall is reading Madame Bovary October 15, 2012 - 4:16am

Blow-Up and Other Stories by Cortázar and the Collected Stories of Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Getting into Latin-American writers and I love the magical realist short stories.

MattF's picture
MattF from Tokyo is reading Borges' Collected Fictions October 15, 2012 - 4:50am

Zone One by Colson Whitehead, The Angel Esmeralda by Don DeLillo, "Object Lessons" the Paris Review presents the Art of the Short Story.

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts October 15, 2012 - 5:02am

Have you started on that Paris Review book? Must must get that,

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books October 15, 2012 - 1:27pm

I've been on a bit of a buying spree. I've bought stacks of occult and religious books for research I am doing, Mon Amour, New Orleans by Cordescru (what better souvenier from the city?), a non-fic book about Hemingway, Tropic of Cancer, a couple Faulkner, The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, You Couldn't Forget Me If You Tried (a non-fic book about 80's movies), and...shit. I'd have to go look to remember the rest. I've had a good run at a few indie book stores recently.

OH! And on ebooks...I just bought all the Elmore Leonard books featuring Raylan. I haven't seen any Justified but everyone goes on and on about it, so I figured I'd read the books.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 15, 2012 - 1:33pm

A Casual Vacancy - JK Rowling (I haven't read it yet, but my wife says it's just ok)

I Am An Executioner - I can't remember his name (A little worse than ok. It's readable, I guess)

This Is How You Lose Her - Junot Diaz (Very good book)

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts October 15, 2012 - 1:57pm

I've bought stacks of occult and religious books for research I am doing

Would like to see what kind of stuff you picked up, those topics are pertinent to my interests.

Those Raylan books are some prime examples of top notch dialogue driven prose.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books October 15, 2012 - 2:04pm

Yeah, I am reading Pronto right now and it's good. It's been too long since I've read Leonard.

I'll take a look at what I picked up and put up a list...I have no idea what I am doing, so I have no idea if I am getting stuff that is worth a shit. I did pick up a (signed, haha) copy of a book by Tennessee Williams' brother about Satan.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. October 15, 2012 - 5:38pm

The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human, by Jonathan Gottschall.  Really interesting stuff (when he's not talking about other people's false conclusions about the brain... those parts kind of get boring).

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore October 15, 2012 - 6:02pm

The Last Final Girl - Stephen Graham Jones
This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It - John Wong
Cottonwood - Scott Phillips
100 Years of Vicissitude - Andrez Bergen
The Cold Kiss - John Rector
Fun & Games - Duane Swierczynski
The Best of Joe R. Lansdale
Noir at the Bar Vol. 2
Herniated Roots - Richard Thomas
Sacre Bleu - Christopher Moore
Telegraph Avenue - Michael Chabon
Malice in Blunderland - Jonny Gibbings

Alex Kane's picture
Alex Kane from west-central Illinois is reading Dark Orbit October 15, 2012 - 6:06pm

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane, and 'Salem's Lot by King.

Really digging American Psycho so far. It's a lot funnier than his first two novels, I think. But I feel more than a little fucked-up for saying that.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 15, 2012 - 6:25pm

Helped out at a yard sale and snagged a few freebies:

• Man & His Symbols (edited) by CG Jung  [will read some]
  • Swedenborg: LIfe and Teachings by George Trobridge  [probably won't read]
  • Triumph on the Gallows by Itzhak Gurion  [will read]
  • True Stories (movie tie-in book) by David Byrne  [will at least look at the pictures]
  • Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris  [will try it, haven't read any in the series]
  • The American Replacement of Nature by William Irwin Thompson  [am reading it]
Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 15, 2012 - 8:13pm

@Alex--I finally read Lehane after lusting after his books for a while. I picked up Mystic River and Gone baby Gone, but because I'm -whatever- I had to go chronologically with the K&G stories. Despite my tepidation (about private dick novels) I friggin loved A Drink Before The War.

I just picked up Darkness Take My Hand and Prayers For Rain, I want a paper version of Sacred and I'll be able to sleep at night.

And because I'm a bibliophile I got a hard back of Lines and Shadows by Jospeh Wambaugh, to go with my TWO paperback copies (it's one of my favorites). Second printing though, so :/

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies October 15, 2012 - 8:24pm

@gordon - thanks for the support, brother.

@alex kane - oh man, you are in for a wild ride. hold on. LOVE AP. and the Lehane and King, also fantastic choices.

i just got my signed/limited edtion of American Pscyho in the mail. pretty sweet.

Alex Kane's picture
Alex Kane from west-central Illinois is reading Dark Orbit October 15, 2012 - 9:37pm

@Dave: I read some of Mystic River in high school, but barely remember it. Been meaning to pick up more of his stuff ever since I saw the Scorsese version of Shutter Island, which I thought was a pretty great film.

@Richard: Big fan of Ellis's work so far--read Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction, so I figured I'd continue the pattern of reading his stuff chronologically. Loving it so far.

Fritz's picture
Fritz October 15, 2012 - 9:37pm

Last book I bought - just ordered some James White - 'The Aliens Among us'.  Becaue I am truly a sci-fi / fantasy nerd - especially the old stuff.

Jay.SJ's picture
Jay.SJ from London is reading Warmed and Bound October 16, 2012 - 4:51am

@JY Hannibal Rising is apparently the worst in the series. So if you don't dig it don't ignore the series as a whole, Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs are masterpieces.

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore October 16, 2012 - 5:25am

I liked Lehane's Darkness Take My Hand quite a bit better than A Drink Before the War, though that's not to besmirch the latter at all. A great pair of characters.

MattF's picture
MattF from Tokyo is reading Borges' Collected Fictions October 16, 2012 - 5:46am

@Renfield--just getting into it. Some of the author's intros are briefer/less instructive than I'd hoped, but a lot of interesting stuff, and a great selection of stories I mostly haven't read. And Eugenides discusses "Car Crash While Hitchhiking", one of my favorite stories that I find absolutely baffling.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 16, 2012 - 6:24am

@JY - I'll echo was Jay said, Hannibal Rising isn't great.  But Red Dragon is well worth your time, as is Silence of the Lambs.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books October 16, 2012 - 11:06am

I'll also echo it. Hannibal Rising was incredibly disappointing.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator

I'll also echo it. Hannibal Rising was incredibly disappointing.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 16, 2012 - 11:15am

I'll be the first person to read them all in order of story. Or I'll ditch it after a few chapters.

And (not that it really matters) I thought the H.Rising movie wasn't as bad as many people said.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 16, 2012 - 12:32pm

I read H. Rising.  I found it entertaining.  I was nowhere near as dark as Harris's other stuff, I think primarily because it's difficult to show the beginning of the monster and have the monster seem as bad as when he's just there, fully formed, as he is in SOTL and Red Dragon.  Also, Rising was pretty obviously Mr. Harris trying to cash in on a popular character one last (probably?) time.  Not as much punch when even the writer knows he's mostly panning.

Honestly, I would very much like to see him do something else (is he dead?).  He's a talented cat.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly October 16, 2012 - 2:53pm

Darth Vader.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 16, 2012 - 3:07pm

Exactly.  Who can be impressed with Lord Vader when you see what a chode he started out as?  He might mind-choke you while you're laughing, but you will die in mirth.

Boone Spaulding's picture
Boone Spaulding from Coldwater, Michigan, U.S.A. is reading Solarcide Presents: Nova Parade October 16, 2012 - 8:24pm

The Pale King by David Foster Wallace

Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists by The Onion's A.V. Club

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Specter of Inverted Totalitarianism by Sheldon S. Wolin

The Works of Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Steal This Plot: A Writer's Guide to Story Structure and Plagiarism by June Noble and William Noble

Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: The Best of McSweeney's, Humor Catagory by Dave Eggers, Kevin Shay, Lee Epstein, John Warner, Suzanne Kleid

The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

Necronomicon by "The Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred

10 Fun Things To Do With Your Microwave by Instructables Authors

drea's picture
drea from Rural Alberta, Canada is reading between the lines October 17, 2012 - 11:22am

Thanks to the Hawthorne Books and Powell's section at Wordstock, my luggage was overweight on the flight home. Here's the wee list and some others I've just ordered.

Stories for Boys, by Greg Martin

Legs Get Led Astray, by Chloe Caldwell

Glaciers, by Alexis Smith

The Tsar's Dwarf, by Peter Fogdtal

Malarky, Anakana Schofield

A Brilliant Novel in the Works, Yuvi Zalkow

Violence, Vanessa Veselka and Lidia Yuknavitch, (The Guillotine Press)

FUCK YEAH, BOOKS!!!!

Renfield's picture
Renfield from Hell is reading 20th Century Ghosts February 23, 2013 - 4:22pm

Ah, luckily then they have this at my local library, sounds like a good once-over type of book.

I just received Stephen Graham Jones's collection BLEED INTO ME in the post and just seeing the cover reminds me about this one period in time that I, for some unthinkable reason, would read a book that I was sure changed my life and I'd stab my finger diabetes-style and mark the first page of the book with my blood.

Aurielle Harris's picture
Aurielle Harris from Florida is reading The Odyssey March 2, 2013 - 9:31pm

Just bought a bunch of classics on sale...

Jack Campbell Jr.'s picture
Jack Campbell Jr. from Lawrence, KS is reading American Rust by Phillipp Meyer March 3, 2013 - 11:39am

I an constantly buying books faster than I can read them. But I found this one at the store yesterday, and its pure awesomeness has to be shared.

I am a man who enjoys collections of weird short fiction, and it is going to be hard to top this:

The only negative is that I have several of the stories in other collections, but that is bound to happen with this many stories. They are in chronological order and it is over a thousand pages long.

Sam Sturdivant's picture
Sam Sturdivant from Hayward, Ca is reading Murphy March 8, 2013 - 3:52pm

I just picked up Julio Cortazar's Blow-Up and Other Stories the other day for a paper I'm going to be writing about "Blow-Up".

NattGass's picture
NattGass from New York, New York is reading Lolita March 10, 2013 - 4:44pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, Behold: My first post on this site.

I too, have been going on a buying frenzy.  Faster than I can read them.  The latest pillaging of ebay resulted in the following:

The Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

and The Man Who Fell in Love With The Moon by Tom Spanbauer (the book that led me to this site. Still on it's way.)

Go easy on me, this is my first message board post since high school.

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore March 13, 2013 - 4:57pm

Angel Falls - Michael Paul Gonzalez  (missed getting it signed by a few days)
The Cost of Living - Rob Roberge  (signed)
My Pet Serial Killer - Michael J Seidlinger  (signed, plus its companion novella)
Jimmy Lagowski Saves the World - Pat Pujolas  (forgot to have him sign it)
Sunshine in the Valley - Kyle Muntz  (signed)
Colony Collapse - J.A. Tyler  (signed)
We Take Me Apart - Molly Gaudry
Donnybrook - Frank Bill
Knuckleduster - Andrew Post
Zombie Days, Campfire Nights - Leah Rhyne
A Pretty Mouth - Molly Tanzer
The Bastard Hand - Heath Lowrence
Clockwork Angels - Kevin Anderson
All Due Respect Anthology
Crime Factory: The First Shift
The Way We Sleep Anthology

Pete's picture
Pete from Detroit is reading Red Dragon March 13, 2013 - 5:07pm

All at AWP?

Gordon Highland's picture
Gordon Highland from Kansas City is reading Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore March 13, 2013 - 8:16pm

The signed ones and a couple others, yes. Some of those go back a couple of months; I just hadn't updated.