Instag8r's picture
Instag8r from Residing in Parker, CO but originally from WV is reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy October 15, 2011 - 6:19pm

Made my rounds of the used book stores today and bought:

Palahniuk's Rant, Lullaby, Haunted and Diary. All hardback.

Dermaphoria

American Psycho

Lolita

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break October 15, 2011 - 7:04pm

Damn, that's a good trip.

Instag8r's picture
Instag8r from Residing in Parker, CO but originally from WV is reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy October 15, 2011 - 8:18pm

Yeah, I thought it was a good trip too. Especially when I got all those for less than that two twenty-dollar bills. I love used book stores!

Tish77's picture
Tish77 from Central Qld, Australia is reading something different everytime I log in... Currently The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank October 15, 2011 - 10:38pm

Damned by Chuck & The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

schnuckems's picture
schnuckems is reading mostly bios/auto right now October 16, 2011 - 3:16pm

Machine Man - Max Barry

The Fixer - Bernard Malamud

The Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver

The Wedding - Dorothy West

Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (33 1/3) - Kim Cooper

Kate Winters's picture
Kate Winters from Toronto is reading James Rollins' Sigma Force series October 16, 2011 - 6:38pm

Just bought Paulo Coelho's new book Aleph... I'll get to reading that... some time. Like I said, I'm not allowed to buy books anymore...

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch October 16, 2011 - 9:05pm

Stay God, why aren't you in my mail yet? Ah I'm getting a Kindle already.

.'s picture
. October 16, 2011 - 9:09pm

^ Yeah who wants to pay for shipping and handling anyway.

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club October 16, 2011 - 9:12pm

You have to pay shipping to get a Kindle.

After signing up for the Zen Mind class I don't have money for books, so I've been paying visits to the library more often.

.'s picture
. October 16, 2011 - 10:19pm

Once for the kindle :P

And you can get e-books from libraries on it. Nuff said.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. October 17, 2011 - 3:00am

I used to be very anti-kindle but since I got one last year I see the benefits of it.  I mean it's easier to carry and read in public.  You can read a book without someone knowing what you are reading.  It's nice having 700 or more books literally at your fingertips at all times.  I still collect books and have my regular editions but those are for if I am at home and want to crack them open.  Plus it's easy to get kindle books free online for all those books that you can't afford and aren't sure if you want to read lol.  I do still buy books though legitimately off amazon, mostly I like to support smaller authors though, I feel like Stephen King has enough money.

Nav Persona's picture
Nav Persona from Purgatory is reading The Babayaga October 18, 2011 - 6:53pm

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 18, 2011 - 8:42pm

Kindles are awesome. But I still just love treeskins. Got a Hardcopy of Stay God (Chuck says it's beautifully bound) sitting over on Hawthorne that I'm picking up tomorrow.

misskokamon's picture
misskokamon from San Francisco is reading The Moonlit Mind October 18, 2011 - 9:23pm

I actually have a sensory disorder that limits the time a dead-tree book and I can spend together. The Kindle came to my rescue, though. I still buy the hardcovers of the books I love, but more often than not, I end up buying the Kindle version as well...

The book I recently bought was Theatre Illuminata. It's a silly YA book, I'll admit it. I bought it because the fairies are a funny bunch in the book. Usually I hate damn fairies, but these ones feel right. I also bought it because I was desperate for something light, 3rd person POV, and not about a girl who hates her life or mistakes obsessive stalkery for being in love. This book, so far, is doing the trick.

I also spend way too much money on books about the craft of writing, but I love reading about how other people do it. The last book I picked up on the topic was a surprising gem called The Writer's Guide to Harry Potter, or something along those lines at least. It brought up a lot of little tricks JKR sprinkled into her work that I didn't pick up on while reading the books, and gave me a few ideas. The one thing I hated about that book though were those damn smilies. I don't know why the author thought they were in any way acceptable, but every time a smiley was dropped at the end of a sentence, I'd stare at it for a solid ten seconds and think, "Why? Why are you there? Honestly!"

Oh yes, another book I snagged was Howl's Moving castle. I've read it a million times already, but I've been meaning to reread it and my paperback copy is falling to pieces.
And, as if you weren't convinced enough my heart lies with YA fiction, I recently enjoyed a series called EonIt started out slow and the amount of backstory in the beginning made me cringe, but the side characters were great and the main protaganist wasn't that bad.

Mike Mckay's picture
Mike Mckay is reading God's Ashtray October 19, 2011 - 8:42am

The Contorionist's Handbook - Craig Clevenger

1984 - George Orwell

Reading the Handbook first. It's going great so far!

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 19, 2011 - 8:56pm

@Misskok (I just had to do it, didn't I?) There seems to be a burgeoning YA contingent around here. I told Raelyn it's nice to see. I haven't heard of those books. Fairies huh? I liked the Artemis Fowl fairies alright, so I might like even better ones.

I always drop this book when YA comes up: Feed by M.T. Anderson. Have you heard of it or read it? It's sci-fi, way ahead of its time. One I just finished a bit ago, Lean on Pete by Willy Vlautin is YA+ (at least I am designating it as such) and is wonderful, especially if you're a fan of crisp, spare writing in the vein of Hemingway. There are many more, but those two are must reads.

@133: Both great books.

KatRem96's picture
KatRem96 from New York is reading Damned by Chuck Palahniuk October 24, 2011 - 12:32pm

At the moment, I'm at a B&N to buy Chuck's latest, Damned.  I can't wait to get started on it.

I've also decided to pick up a book on writing, Page After Page by Heather Sellers.  The last one I ever bought was Stephen King's On Writing when it first came out nearly a decade ago.  I'm currently plagued by the worst combination of insomnia and writer's block.

After reading parts of this thread, I just remembered I also want to pick up a copy of Geek Love, so I'll go ahead and satisfy that whim.

Other recently bought books:

Feed and it's sequel, Deadline by Mira Grant

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The Map of Time by Felix J. Palma

Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse by Max Brailler (A choose-your-own-adventure book that seemed like a quick and fun fix for this tiny obsession I've recently developed over zombies)

JGates's picture
JGates from Lancaster October 24, 2011 - 1:39pm

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

Victimized by Richard Thomas

Speedloader by Snobnose Press

misskokamon's picture
misskokamon from San Francisco is reading The Moonlit Mind October 24, 2011 - 3:16pm

@Chester Pane I can't say all YA is good, because I've read some really off things the past year, but I've found some awesome titles in my search for good, light fiction. Happenstance Found was one of my favorites, (though I suppose that's more MG than YA) and the writer is a great fellow who answers fan mail in surprising detail. The first two books to Dan Wells' John Cleaver series were also fun reads. I'll definitely check out Feed--sample to the Kindle, received! I'd love to meet more writers (and readers) of YA here on Litreactor, too, so send 'em my way. Of course, everyone else on Litreactor, I like you guys too!

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club October 24, 2011 - 3:20pm

Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army by Jeremy Scahill

Alex Kane's picture
Alex Kane from west-central Illinois is reading Dark Orbit October 24, 2011 - 4:34pm

Damned by Chuck, of course. It's really great so far.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. November 29, 2011 - 4:00am

Just ordered the Thunderdome anthology Tales of a Lost City and preordered As a Machine and Parts by Caleb J Ross.

Now I just gotta wait for them to come out/get sent over the Atlantic.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break November 29, 2011 - 5:38am

Blackbox by Nick Walker

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 29, 2011 - 10:53am

B.P.R.D.  Plague of Frogs 1 & 2.  They are two graphic novels starring the side-characters from Hellboy.  Some great shit.  I love Mike Mignola.

Instag8r's picture
Instag8r from Residing in Parker, CO but originally from WV is reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy November 29, 2011 - 11:20am

Just got 1982 JANINE and Blood Meridian (from a friend) in the mail yesterday and I order The House of Silk from Amazon this morning.

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club November 29, 2011 - 3:23pm

1Q84 - Haruki Murakami

The Marriage Plot - Jeffrey Eugenides

Inside Out and Back Again - Thanhha Lai

Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett (I'm very behind in the Discworld series)

Steve Jobs - Walter Isaacson

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 29, 2011 - 3:39pm

Just a suggestion that I noticed while reading a comic book - if you look at the background in a comic book panel and try to describe that (especially the old houses and ruins in a Hellboy comic book), you can come out with some really interesting writing.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading A truckload of books November 29, 2011 - 5:30pm

Most recently I bought Occupants by Henry Rollins, and I got Horns by Joe Hill a short while before that. I am not allowed to buy any more books until I get through the goodly sized stack in my nightstand, though.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz November 30, 2011 - 4:19pm

Another copy of Clown Girl for Sarah Metts. Signed.

marv66's picture
marv66 from Bay Shore, NY is reading A Feast for Crows December 1, 2011 - 4:56pm

Just got a signed copy Chuck Palahniuk's new book "Damned", so far so god

Charles's picture
Charles from Portland is reading Mongrels by Stephen Graham Jones December 1, 2011 - 5:03pm

the complete stories of amy hempel (kindle edition)

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 1, 2011 - 5:06pm

Generation A - Douglas Coupland

Falling Man - Don Delillo

Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

Drive - James Sallis

Poe's Children - Peter Straub

The Resurrectionist - Jack O'Connell

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Pittsburgh Noir

R.Moon's picture

@Charles: Great, great book. Hempel is awesome.

Instag8r's picture
Instag8r from Residing in Parker, CO but originally from WV is reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy December 1, 2011 - 5:54pm

The Adjustment - Scott Phillips

@R.Moon - How's Pittsburgh Noir?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 1, 2011 - 6:48pm

@Instag8r: It's okay. Rebecca Drake is really good. Nancy Martin's wasn't bad. She's probably the most well known. Aubrey Hirsch has a good story in it. A couple of other decent ones, but a few misses too. It was worth the $15.95. Have you read any of the others in the series? I'd like to read Brooklyn Noir, Las Vegas Noir and there was another one I can't remember.

lynx_child's picture
lynx_child from Seattle is reading The Dresden Files series December 3, 2011 - 12:38am

@bryanhowie: Love B.P.R.D. :)

I bought:

The Hole behind Midnight by Clinton Boomer

Under Cover of Daylight by James W. Hall

The 5th Horseman (The Women's Murder Club) by James Patterson

.'s picture
. December 3, 2011 - 3:09pm

Got Warmed and Bound in the mail.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break December 3, 2011 - 3:42pm

So damn good.  Love that cover paper.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. December 26, 2011 - 8:48am

Grabbed a few books with some Xmas money. These are all titles I've been sleeping on for a while now. Heard nothing but good things about all of them.

The Chronology Of Water

Both Donald Ray Pollack books

Apathy and Other Small Victories

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. December 26, 2011 - 10:33am

Wicked, you've got my two favorite books of the year there (Devil All the Time and Chronology of Water).

(read Knockemstiff first)

(Apathy is good, too.)

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like December 26, 2011 - 12:31pm

The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad

Antwerp by Roberto Bolano (~)

estimated delivery date 12/30

Ismael Santos's picture
Ismael Santos from Miami, FL is reading American Psycho, Essential Harlan Ellison, The Stand, Countdown to Lockdown December 26, 2011 - 12:54pm

Amazon Gift Card Spree:

"Unknown Man #89" by Elmore Leonard

"The Night of the Gun: A reporter investigates the darkest story of his life. His own." by David Carr

"The Naked and the Dead: 50th Anniversary Edition" by Norman Mailer

"Franz Kafka: The Complete Stories" by Franz Kafka

"The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel" by Amy Hempel

"Portland Queer: Tales of the Rose City" by Tom Spanbauer and others

"Thus Spoke Zarathustra: A Book for Everyone and No One (Penguin Classics)" by Friedrich Nietzche

"Dear Mr. Capote (Lish, Gordon)" by Gordon Lish

"The Diaries of Adam and Eve" by Mark Twain

"Suttree" by Cormac McCarthy

"Their Eyes Were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston

"The Maltese Falcon" by Dashiell Hammett

"Swag: A Novel" by Elmore Leonard

"The Sound and the Fury: The Corrected Text" by William Faulkner

"Survivor: A Novel" by Chuck Palahniuk

PopeyeDoyle's picture
PopeyeDoyle from Rio Grande Valley, TX is reading Chronology of Water December 26, 2011 - 8:53pm

Another Amazon gift card spending spree:

Homicide:  A Year on the Killing Streets, by David Simon

El Narco, by Ioan Grillo

Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine Kindle subscription

Moonlight Mile, by Dennis Lehane

Warmed and Bound: A Velvet Anthology

The Best American Noir of the Century

Gardens of Night, by Greg Gifune

The Devil All the Time, by Donald Ray Pollock

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 27, 2011 - 12:26am

ok lets see. I got a big amazon gift card and I got the following:

• Classic Crews: A Harry Crews Reader
  • Warmed & Bound: Velvet Anthology
  • Scott Wolven: Controlled Burn
  • Paul Malmont: The Chinatown Death Cloud Peril
  • Craig Davidson: The Fighter
  • Craig Davison: Rust & Bone
  • Charlie Huston: The Mystic Art of Erasing All Signs Of Death
  • Christa Faust: Choke Hold
  • Pollocks: The Devil All The Time

Some of them are signed as well. Now all I have to do is wait for them in the mail.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 27, 2011 - 12:30am

I got so many books this X-mas.

Joyce carol Oates:  I Am No One you Know, Faithless, Faith of a writer

Harlan Ellison:  Shatterday

Chuck Palahniuk:  Damned

Rise of the Governor, Robert Kirkman

Dennis Cooper:  Frisk

and I just ordered more through Barnes and Noble.com where they are having an end of the year closeout sale with 3.99 hardbacks.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 27, 2011 - 12:39am

alien, is there a link to the b&n closeout deals? Ive been looking all over for it on the site. You'd think they would advertise it on the fromt page.

Brian Ingham's picture
Brian Ingham from Stillwater Oklahoma is reading There is No Year by. Blake Butler December 27, 2011 - 12:49am

Just finished There is No Year by Blake Butler.

Now I'm working on The Presidents Vampire by Christopher Farnsworth

I have 4 others that I need to read:

Love is a mixtape, The true story of area 51, the Tender Bar, and Suicide Casanova. I'm excited about all of them, just don't know which one to read first.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. December 27, 2011 - 12:54am

The Kindle Fire had got me reading comic books like crazy - and ebooks.  I might have to buy the cheap 79 dollar kindle for books.  I haven't had any problem with reading on the Fire's screen, but I would like both.  One for books and one for games and comics.  I also want to be rich.  We'll see how that goes.

But there are so many great books for cheaper.  I just hope that the lack of price in printing and distribution gives the writers more money (which I doubt happens... but...).  Anyway, I love digital.  Print is the best ever, obviously, but I love ebooks and ecomics.  I love cheap deals.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 27, 2011 - 1:01am

@howie hey man, you might not feel it now but trust me when I say the backlit screen will be a nusance in a while. My ipad started out great but after a while it just wore on the eyes.

Anyway, good idea with the e-ink.

P.S. Cheap Deals are a catch 22. I just bought the velvet anthology, and Caleb J. Ross' Will and Character Pieces for like 12 bucks total but it aint the same as having pulp, man, so I also bought em pulpy. What a cunt i am.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 27, 2011 - 10:27pm

Hetch, go under the books menu and bargain books and it will take you to a screen where it says 3.99 or less or 90% off fiction.  I found Joe Hill's Horns there, Death of Bunny Munroe by Nick Cave, Joyce Carol Oates, etc.