Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 8, 2012 - 11:16pm

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 8, 2012 - 11:17pm

Like. It

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres October 8, 2012 - 11:19pm

I just want the WAR to start

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 8, 2012 - 11:21pm

Yeah, I'm itching for something new to write so I can keep putting off the rest of my revision (and thus put off the whole scary querying process a bit longer).

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 8, 2012 - 11:22pm

Round 2 Sean. Me and you. Revenge. I hope.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 9, 2012 - 1:44am

Haha, I love how the Metalheads all come out for WAR.

Turisas kick arse. Saw them a couple years back, they are a lot of fun. If you like them, try Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Finntroll, and Moonsorrow out for size. These are all great Scandanavian folk influenced bands.

Who posted Hammerfall? Shame on you, Hammerfall are lame.

Slayer are the tits. Yes, no doubt some of their fans are annoying, but to be fair, I have seen them live three times and never had any trouble with the crowd. Very friendly atmosphere each time.

What we need here, is some Behemoth. Suck on this, mofo's.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin October 9, 2012 - 1:58am

Damn the list is filling up quickly ~ any chance of War starting sooner?

can't wait can't wait can't wait :)

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin October 9, 2012 - 6:12am

Sudden thought: Might be worth mentioning that stories and polls are posted in locked threads so people need workshop memberships to read and vote. Unless, of course, your doing it different this year, in which case just ignore this post...

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 6:17am

@voodoo_em - you're correct.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz October 9, 2012 - 7:04am

You all call this metal? Laughable. Where is the Cinderella? Where are the four pretty girls from Poison? I'm yet to see a single mention of Warrant.

I'm embarrassed for all of you.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 7:39am

Thirteen contestants left.

Who thinks I can get Joe Hill to participate?

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres October 9, 2012 - 7:41am

@Otis - WAR 2 is where the down boys go!

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 8:00am

@Utah - I don't!  I don't!!

Boone Spaulding's picture
Boone Spaulding from Coldwater, Michigan, U.S.A. is reading Solarcide Presents: Nova Parade October 9, 2012 - 8:00am

Jay.SJ's picture
Jay.SJ from London is reading Warmed and Bound October 9, 2012 - 8:16am

I'm not involved with the workshop so does this mean I can't see anything?

drea's picture
drea from Rural Alberta, Canada is reading between the lines October 9, 2012 - 8:34am

I'm not a workshop member either, Jay.SJ; although, with what I've invested in master classes here, I could have funded 18.512 years of monthly workshop membership dues (I actually did the math.) While I encourage everyone who isn't part of a peer review group to join LitReactor's, there is no way I could keep up with the 6 writers I'm already committed to and still sling pages here.

Good question.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 8:35am

Okay.  So, we do lock the polls to the public for a few reasons.  This keeps your story from appearing to be "published", limits access to it in general, and also helps with voter fraud (I felt really dumb typing voter fraud).

So the downside to this is that people who are not in the workshop can't view the polls.  Last time we managed to get some month long trials for people, not sure about that this time around.  Haven't looked into anything.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 9, 2012 - 8:47am

I wonder if we should get a count of how many cheap bastards non workshop members we have currently listed as participants to see if it's even possible to lock the polls to the public and have WAR with 64 slots.

Wonder Woman's picture
Wonder Woman from RI is reading 20th Century Ghosts October 9, 2012 - 8:48am

I want in! Though I think my battle song would be more like The Battle of Pelennor Fields, particularly around the 2:00 mark...

^_^

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 8:49am

@Sound - it is possible.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 9:13am

Yeah, we have time.

Dear Cheap Bastards Non Workshop Members:

First, I would like to strongly recommend you subscribe to the workshop.  It's benefitted me a great deal, and a lot of other writers on here.  A very good investment if you take your writing seriously (and if you don't, you might want to reconsider WAR2, because it's pretty intense as far as writing goes).  Besides, at $9 a month, it's really difficult to balk at the expense.  You won't notice that money gone.  I'm pretty sure some of the writers on here donate their plasma to pay for it.  I won't suggest going that far, especially when you can "salvage" copper wire from abandoned/empty/everybody-within-is-asleep buildings and turn that in for a pretty penny.  Seriously.  You should do it.

On the other hand, if you decide you just want to try this whole thing out, involve yourself in WAR to see how fucking cool we all are, then please pm your names and workshop status to me or Avery so we can compile a list and try to finagle access for you for the duration of your participation in WAR2.  Understand, this option is not a guaranteed thing.  Workshop membership = guaranteed, charity of the LR owners = not guaranteed.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 9, 2012 - 9:24am

I realized that J.Y.'s War Avatar is his regular one upside down. Does that mean he thinks he will be flipped over?

That had nothing to do with WAR and everything to do with Satan.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 9, 2012 - 9:41am

I'm pretty sure everyone I've bitched about it enough to not have to reiterate here, but I'm not a Workshop member. I encourage anyone who can to do it, and think it's one of the best things in the world, but it's not a feasible plan for me to somehow manage school, my own writing, and workshopping right now -- not to mention financially. Couldn't the cheap bastards just be excluded from voting? It would suck, but it would be possible, at least.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 9:45am

Yes, if we can't secure any "deals" for you and you can't get a membership, then you are excluded from voting.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 9:54am

Son of a...

Ironically, Courtney, I was anonymously referring to you for the "donates plasma to pay for the workshop" example.  <--- two awful adverbs for JGB's hating pleasure

Everyone, Courtney is a fraud!  Burn her!

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 9, 2012 - 10:08am

SON OF A BISCUIT EATER! I have to pay again! DAMMIT! So much for the Montana vacation next summer. I hate you all. Die.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 9, 2012 - 10:12am

WAR w/o membership --- Not being able to vote for yourself gives the opponent a slight edge. And it's disconcerting to not see the polls, but it means you can't obsessively check up on them.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 9, 2012 - 10:13am

This is true, I remember that from the last time around. I'll pay and then I'll make you all pay. In blood.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies October 9, 2012 - 10:46am

think of all of the FREE content you get here. pay the $9. even if you are working a MINIMUM WAGE job that's like ONE HOUR. do it. if you have to, just pay for a month or two. it's worth it.

Matt Attack's picture
Matt Attack from Richmond, Va. is reading As I Lay Dying, William Faulkner October 9, 2012 - 11:03am

Yeah, I was just complaining just to complain. It's a cool site, invest and your investment will yield returns. It even helped me get something published. Kind of neat

Good to see it's still going, see y'all in November!

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres October 9, 2012 - 11:02am

I agree with Richard.  Cut out 2 drinks at the bar just once, and you've got 1 month in the workshop.  Cut out 1 pack of cigarettes per month, you've got 1 month.  Cancel your subscription to that Sploshing website, you've got multiple months in the workshop.

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 9, 2012 - 11:38am

Wait a second, when the fuck did I donate plasma?! When did I say I did?!

Either someone is impersonating me or I did more drunk posting and forgot about it.

(Guys, I'm too busy to even pop into the workshop once a week -- I could easily scrape the change out of couch cushions to get the membership, but I hate feeling like I need to add more shit to my to-do list every day, it stresses me out. If you can juggle it with your other responsibilities, it's wholly worth it.)

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks October 9, 2012 - 11:46am

I was honestly worried that I really had drunk posted, but no, I searched for "plasma" and these were the notable results:

About halfway down this page on the original WAR thread, Laurance Kitts talks about donating plasma to get into The Cult.

Here, Renfield suggests donating plasma to get into the workshop.

And on Typewriter's sex scene thread, Howie offers up a definition of a wetspot and says it includes "plasma that bleeds through the vaginal walls to create lubrication."

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 11:51am

LOL

That is priceless.  I'm going to say you said more shit you didn't say just because when you search it out you find cool stuff other people did say.

This is win-win.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig October 9, 2012 - 11:54am

Whew thanks for getting me in while I was away. And reminding me that my membership expired while I was away.

In other news, I'm having an emotional affair with New Orleans, but it's probably okay because I think Husband is too.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 11:56am

You'll get over that relatively soon.  Go spend some time at Walmart.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 11:58am

New anniversary poll: best use of plasma in a  forum comment.  Howie wins.

.'s picture
. October 9, 2012 - 12:01pm

Some tough love here,

If you can't afford a membership for some reason (I mean your writing on a computer after all) then please don't participate in WAR. Reading the stories and voting are half the battle. Don't be draft dodgers

And don't gamble on a free membership because that will slow things down when it comes time to start tearing eachother apart. With our prose.

Thank you. Bitches.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig October 9, 2012 - 12:01pm

Utah--no, I'm home now. Not even a half hour pushing through zombified drunk idiots on Bourbon Street erased the magic of the less populated places in the French Quarter. And the fooood. If I had spent a week longer there I may have developed diabetes.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 12:08pm

I won't say don't participate.  I want everyone to participate.  Just be aware of the consequences.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 12:19pm

@Renee:  the food.  No question.  Awesome.  And yeah, some of the off the beaten path areas of the Quarter are pretty sweet.

@Everybody:  None of you are invited to leave WAR2 based on your membership status in the workshop.  Your ability to read/vote on your own stories are mostly for your own advantage.  If that's something you can sacrifice for the duration of your participation in WAR, that's your call.  Bear in mind, there were many battles in WAR that were decided by a single vote.  I'm just trying to get as many of you into the Workshop as possible to, primarily, ease up the load of grief that will pile up around my ears when the non-member participants realize that it really is a fact, they really can't see the polls, and they really want to, and it's not fair and...You get the idea.  I want to make sure you are all fully apprised of the situation.

Regardless, we're still going to try to get a participant dispensation into the Workshop for those who can't manage it.  Just don't light torches if it doesn't work out.

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres October 9, 2012 - 12:27pm

May we light torches if it DOES work out?

.'s picture
. October 9, 2012 - 12:27pm

I'm the bad cop. The Harvey Keitel kind.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 9, 2012 - 12:37pm

I will pay for anyone who doesn't have a membership and vows to vote for me in all my battles. I will wear the crown in no time.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 9, 2012 - 12:41pm

@Sparrow NOLA is my first, last, constant love. The food. The people. The buildings. The history. The spirit. Abita. I need a napkin. And for your future travels the best food is in the Marigny, Uptown and the Garden district (digs are cheaper in the Lower Garden district, too, but you can take the streetcar into the FQ easy). And no obnoxious tourists.

And to weigh in on the membership thing myself: I'm broke. Seriously broke. I stopped working to write (and now that I'm looking for regular work, can't find it). The husband and I are living half on his law school loans, and are comfortable, but have no $ left after we pay the bills. I sold my Kate Spade bag and shoe collections to buy groceries. I've wanted to join the workshop for a long time but couldn't afford it, period. Now that school's back in session we have more loan money and he OK'ed the workshop dues since we got into this mess because I WANT TO WRITE. I need feedback and support from other writers, and need to give back to grow as a writer, myself. I'm making WAR as a way of mainlining, and as practice for the Clarion workshop I hope to get into next summer. I also figured that like Thunderdome, War was a membership thing.

I don't want to piss anybody off; that's just my story. This community is rad. You get a lot from this site for absolutely nothing. I'm amazed Scare Us! was open to non-members, but it got me hooked on giving and receiving feedback, and got me to join up.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 12:42pm

*sigh

They won't know which story is yours, because all the polls are anonymous and if you tell them I'll disqualify you because i'm psychic and I'll know...

...and oh wait, you were kidding, right?

never mind.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry October 9, 2012 - 12:45pm

SHE'LL STAB YOU IN THE FUCKING NECK!!!

Sorry about the caps, I just figured you'd need to see that.

@Plunderer from the Great White North:  That is cool shit.  I'm glad you posted that, and I'm glad you're coming out on the field with us!

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 9, 2012 - 12:58pm

You know, Avery, I didn't consider you a party pooper. But you kind of are.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt October 9, 2012 - 1:05pm

Utah, save the caps for our battle, when you're begging for your life.

The loser dies, right?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters October 9, 2012 - 1:06pm

I'm going to choose to forgive you today, Sound.  Because you have no idea.  And you deserve a second chance.