aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 8, 2012 - 3:37pm

My prompt is limiting so its a challenge.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks March 8, 2012 - 3:42pm

Ha, I think they all are! I'd guess so at least. Its really pushing me to think. I've got a fucking migraine from it already.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 March 8, 2012 - 4:00pm

Mine was perfect. 800 words in.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 4:47pm

Mine just said I could write whatever I want...

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks March 8, 2012 - 4:48pm

You're not supposed to talk about the prompts!

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 4:48pm

< ---- disqualified....

.'s picture
. March 8, 2012 - 4:50pm

The first rule of WAR: DON'T TALK ABOUT WAR!

My prompt is damn difficult too.

No matter, I've already got pen to paper.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks March 8, 2012 - 4:53pm

I think I'm gonna let mine stew for a bit before trying anything.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 4:56pm

Americantypo - agreed.  I need to let it settle in.

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 8, 2012 - 5:00pm

good luck guys!!!

manda lynn's picture

i mean, BURN IN FLAMES! YOU SUCK!

yeah, still no good with the threats....

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 5:02pm

I think I'm gonna let mine stew for a bit before trying anything.

- Agreed. I think I'm going to give myself 9 days and 23 hours to think about it. LOL!!!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies March 8, 2012 - 5:11pm

love my prompt, really interested to see how we differ in our approaches. i'm already thinking "okay, here's the obvious story" then turn left, twist, turn right, back up "now, how about we start HERE" turn left, jump ahead "no wait, this way in"...

no idea.

but i'm stoked.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 8, 2012 - 5:14pm

@jacks:  Dude, I love your prompt!  There are so many possibilities with that.

Richard's too.  Lotta directions to go with those.

Jason Van Horn's picture
Jason Van Horn from North Carolina is reading A Feast For Crows March 8, 2012 - 5:15pm

I don't know why I thought the prompts would be more in-depth, but maybe some are. :P

I already had a minor idea pop into my head, but I'm going to let it brew a bit.

I'd joke about the prompt and say something completly ridiculous like "Mine wants me to write a story about a unicorn that fires lasers from its horn," but knowing my luck that would be an actual prompt.

....ah crap!

.'s picture
. March 8, 2012 - 5:53pm

What exactly are the guidlines of the prompts? Should the plot revolve around them?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 6:10pm

I had my first exciting twinkle of idea for my story!  I'm pleased.

XyZy's picture
XyZy from New York City is reading Seveneves and Animal Money March 8, 2012 - 6:15pm

Damn... I was hoping that wouldn't happen.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 6:26pm

Hah!!  I was worried it wouldn't for a minute there.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 8, 2012 - 6:38pm

@jack--I would assume so.  I doubt he would say "tranvestite hookers enter a bar' and then expect you to write a story about nuns.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 8, 2012 - 6:39pm

The main problem is outthinking yourself.  I was trying to imagine what my opponent will write and then write something different but then I realized they will do that too so I'm going to write the obvious thing but then twist it to make my opponent look stupid!  Yeah, that's it!!

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 8, 2012 - 6:45pm

Americantypo, just so you know, the prompt fits perfectly with a story I already have... I've been perfecting it for years now so it's so polished and shiny that it causes solar storms.

Umm... in fact I'm waiting you to come up with an idea so I can steal it.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies March 8, 2012 - 6:45pm

only thing i can think of is it can't be an afterthought, it has to feel like a primary part of the story, a pillar holding it up, not some thin little branch. make sense?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 6:52pm

Yeah, that's what I think.

@Alien - I went through those same things.  But, what will the OTHER person write?  Which I know is crazy.  All we can do is write the best story we can and hope for the best.

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 8, 2012 - 6:52pm

right, like if someone was describing the story the prompt would definitely be a main part of what they were saying...

Bekanator's picture
Bekanator from Kamloops, British Columbia is reading Ugly Girls by Lindsay Hunter March 8, 2012 - 6:53pm

Obviously we can't discuss the nature of the prompts, but I will say that mine isn't something I'm easily able to "plug in" to an existing story idea. I have an idea board with a bunch of things I plan on writing at some point. And this prompt is forcing me to come up with a completely new idea. Pretty cool stuff.

Mine isn't either, so I can't "cheat" my way through this.  Luckily for me, I had today off, so I got to do some brainstorming while I was cleaning the house.  I've come up with a plot that's exciting, but I'm not yet passionate about it, so it'll be interesting to see where a week of writing is going to take me.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 6:57pm

- Do we have to use the prompt in a literal sense, or can we go metaphorical with it? Although, I can say that the idea I've come up with has a bit of both.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly March 8, 2012 - 7:02pm

What Moon said. Thoughts?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:03pm

Maybe PM Utah with that.  He knows your prompt.  But he may not be on tonight.  Not that I know where he is or anything.  I mean, I do follow him.  But not all the time.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:28pm

Edit - because I thought of a smarter answer.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 7:07pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. My prompt can be taken very literal, but the idea that's popped into my mind isn't literal, in sense, but more metaphorical. However, like I said above, there are literal aspects to it.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:09pm

If it were me, I'd say use your discretion.  No one is going to be disqualified for how they use the prompt (I don't think) but the voters will know your prompt and probably consider who did the best job with that prompt.

So my (un)official answer would be that it is up to you how you use it, just keep the above in mind.

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 8, 2012 - 7:14pm

what avery said

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 7:15pm

Okay... Thanks ladies...

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly March 8, 2012 - 7:21pm

I would say thats part of the process is our interpretation and presentation of the prompt.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:23pm

Dave - very true.

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 8, 2012 - 7:24pm

as r. moon would say "EXACTAMUNDO, BRAD!"

manda lynn's picture
manda lynn from Ohio is reading Of Love and Other Demons (again) March 8, 2012 - 7:26pm

i mean, he'd say dave, but then probably not at all since r. moon was asking the questions but if i'd thought all that out i wouldn't have gotten to make the photo reference....

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks March 8, 2012 - 7:30pm

I've got a few ideas but haven't settled on one yet. Will wake up tomorrow and see what comes to mind first and just go with it I think.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:33pm

I won't say how much I've written, or what I've written about, but I will say I've use the word 'fuck' several times.  Not necessarily in the writing.  But at least concerning the writing.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 8, 2012 - 7:35pm

Why box yourselves in? I'm voting for the best story not necessarily how brilliant someone used that prompt. Two very different things. Granted if it's a wash on which story to vote for like they are that close I might consider how cleverly the writer used a prompt but the fact is that the prompt is 1) arbitrary and 2) meant to keep people from using old work. That said I'd never give more weight to something based on those two things than say the author's skill at basic storytelling. But others might... Ah just write a good story and be as creative as possible surprise and dazzle me. It's not rocket science ... Or is it?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 7:37pm

Actually Manda, I probably would've said something like: 'Look at the big brains on Avery!'  Of course, I  would've also improvised and said: 'Look at the big jumblies of Avery!'

Nighty Nite's picture
Nighty Nite from NJ is reading Grimscribe: His Lives and Works March 8, 2012 - 7:38pm

All warfare is based on deception. And I shall decieve you into believing I'm not wise to your plans, but I am. Then I'll write the opposite of what I'm planning on writing, and then at the last moment I'll loop around and write the opposite of that. Then erase the entire thing and write something new.

Do you like apples?

How do you like them apples?

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:38pm

I THOUGHT WE HAD GOTTEN PAST THAT.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 8, 2012 - 7:39pm

Hey, I  hadn't taken any jabs at your jumblies. I had to get one in. I'm done now.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 8, 2012 - 7:40pm

:-)

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. March 8, 2012 - 7:43pm

I'm going to write a story about a writer writing a story about the prompt but have the story the writer writes be the prompt that the writer is writing in the story.  Get it?

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz March 8, 2012 - 7:43pm

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three March 8, 2012 - 7:44pm

Pretty chestie

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters March 8, 2012 - 7:44pm

Alien...that's sort of brilliant.  Of course now you can't use it.