Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 28, 2013 - 9:09pm

150 comments later, I apologize for making the joke that led to the previous pot being stirred. From now on I'll always assume whatever's happening, it's my fault.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 28, 2013 - 9:15pm

Boo for double post. I don't know what I'm doing.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 28, 2013 - 9:12pm

"Apologies accepted, captain Needa."

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 28, 2013 - 9:32pm

The thing you don't understand is that it is like locking a bunch of wolverines in a half bath and a bunch of pepper. You knocking might have set off the death match, but it wasn't going to end well no matter what you did.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 3:58am

Wow, Dwayne, that was actually a very impressive analogy!

Now I have an excuse for my typos... it's my long claws... and sharp pointy teeth!

That's right, from now on, I will try to work in an out of date movie reference. Live with it.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 4:09am

Good morning everyone.  I have returned early and surly and prepared to redact any shit you might say that I do not approve.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 4:20am

So, par for the course, eh, Utah?

I'm only here briefly this morning, as I do indeed have a life outside you silly Ewoks. Though, you all are the best part of it. Especially you, Liana. Don't feel bad. You made a simple joke, and had a sense of humor, so you can never be at fault for anything others take the wrong way.

Ok, off to the shower, then the outside world. It's a dangerous business, stepping out your front door.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 29, 2013 - 4:39am

Now what Utah?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 4:44am

@Dwayne:  Exactly.

fport's picture
fport from Canada is reading The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond March 29, 2013 - 10:10am

How far from those biggest penis contests are self congratulatory bumping dicks and knocking cocks displays? Just saying. And Dwayne, what exactly does your reputation have to do with your evaluation? A straw man appeal to authority? In a society that values free speech and a site that looks to the creative spark in a forum that seeks insight I would think that another take on the subject, discussion or themes would be welcome in the mix. If that is too difficult for the parties involved maybe they could move into discussions about what they feel comfortable talking about and maybe a rating system for threads that impose PG13 guidelines and restrictions for their protection from unacceptable observations or pithy insight . I myself am looking for the real thing being mostly disaffected with training wheels, admiring the new glide two wheelers for youngsters that train for balance as opposed to faking it. Add the pedals as the skill increases as opposed to inheriting the full boat and trying to cope, an analogy for building real skills as opposed to throwing spaghetti at the ceiling until something sticks. As a head nod back to Dwayne, I didn't learn to ride a two wheeler for real until I was twelve, a definite social stigma, despite having the coolest fat tired candy assed red and white beauty around complete with those useless soul destroying training wheels.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 10:34am

Fport, I'm not trying to attack you here, there's been enough of that going on around here lately, but everything you're saying, and have said in the past, could all be simply be summed up into one or two sentences without metaphor after metaphor that makes your point nearly indecipherable. As for the superhero link you left, I really have no idea who that was directed towards a or what, if any, relevance it had to anything that's been going on here. I, as well as Dwayne, are assuming that link was directed at Photon and myself. If so, could you please explain the relevance?

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 11:22am

Fport, I haven't responded to your link for one reason and one reason only. I find anything that puts Superman on equal footing with Batman is just vile in and of itself.  ;)

I'm a Supes man, through and through. But for the sake of open discourse, I should say I'm not a very well versed comics fanboy. I loved Nolan's take on Batman, but am always going to pick the Man of Steel.

As far as whether or not your link had any application to the conversation(s) at hand, I think I get what was in your head when you posted, and I found it kinda funny. Granted, I could be completely off base in what I thought you were going for. Who knows?

I hate training wheels too, by the way.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 11:48am

I think, in general, too much gets made of how much fport types.  If he wants to, it's all good.  Lots of people type lots and lots of words, often more than some people think should be typed, and have very large publishing contracts.  So succinct-ness isn't necessarily a be-all/end-all.  But if there's really a problem with it, it will show up in his workshop submissions and he can be dealt a blistering, fundamentals-based lbl.

But here in the threads:  who cares?  Seriously.  Ripping on him (again) is really unecessary.  Don't read his post.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 11:58am

I'm not ripping on him. I'm asking what the relevance was between his link and, what Dwayne and I are assuming, was in response to what photon and I were talking about. I don't like metaphors. Half the time I don't get metaphors and I believe there's always a clearer way of stating it.

fport's picture
fport from Canada is reading The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond March 29, 2013 - 11:59am

R.Moon, I don't feel attacked. I have made an observation in yet another hijacked thread  ( YAHT ). Then I made a very simple direct reply to the reaction to that observation. What did I get in reply:

Okay, not an attack, showing none of these proclivities, the beginning or initiating of any action, to direct hostile words or writings at; criticize or abuse, bring into discredit by any act or proposal, or by unfriendly words or writing, whether by satire, calumny, criticism, or argument or to assail with unfriendly speech or writing; to begin a controversy with; to attempt to overthrow or bring into disrepute, by criticism or satire; to censure..

Yet I'm reduced to a one horse trick pony by this. Most people would simply provide that summary as proof, but you are not about attacking me so you didn't feel the need for proof just an insinuation.

without metaphor after metaphor that makes your point nearly indecipherable

Let's use humour to show poor metaphor from sophomoric efforts:

The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and "Jeopardy" comes on at 7 p.m. instead of 7:30.

The thunder was ominous-sounding, much like the sound of a thin sheet of metal being shaken backstage during the storm scene in a play.

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

He was as lame as a duck--not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame, maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

My words are not quite the same as my comprehension, but the metaphor is the best I can muster – I am bothered when people say negative things about my apprehensions – I want to defend it. That's a paraphrase of a quote. I think I've been pretty straight up all the way through this thread but if you want to compare and contrast your comments versus mine I could do that too.

This started when Flybywrite's thread over issues that concerned him was moderator locked. Strange Photon raised censorship as well as other issues. Then you came along and despite your best intentions managed to alienate Sean and others who were still on topic. I think that is a fair observation.

You raised the dick comparing contest. You raised thread hijacking. I simply stretched a condomic metaphor over that framework. Got it. Good.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 12:02pm

In a your example, there is only one metaphor. The rest are similes. Got it. Good.

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres March 29, 2013 - 12:06pm

I sincerely love this line.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 12:06pm

Actually, I was wrong. They are all similes.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 12:08pm

@Sean: I'm quite find of that one, too.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 12:11pm

See, I liked that line a lot, too - but it feels like I've heard it before just can't finger where.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 12:14pm

a condomic metaphor

This is the one I like.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 12:20pm

Metaphors about metaphors always take the cake.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 12:25pm

Ill have a response to your PM when I get home and off my phone, Photon.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 12:29pm

No worries, dude. As much as I worship little jade statues of you on a regular basis, I am not waiting in front of a laptop screen with my inbox open to be filled.

After all, we all have lives.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 12:30pm

Damn. I was really hoping to fill your box. I mean inbox. Dammit Freud.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 12:46pm

Yeah, well, hey, you can't always get what you want.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 1:00pm

Yea. I learned that from Mick Jagger.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch March 29, 2013 - 2:02pm

Moon, "not the metaphorical lame duck" is a reference to a metaphor, which contains the metaphor in question, which means there is a metaphor there.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 2:14pm

That metaphor is very...meta...

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 2:27pm

Very.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 2:39pm

'He was as lame as a duck...' Is a simile. He's making a reference to the metaphor but not actually using it as a metaphor. Similes use 'like' and 'as' to compare one thing to another.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 2:41pm

Gee, Mr. Wizard, that's fascinating!

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to come off as sarcastic.

We're gonna need another Timmy...

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 2:43pm

Me. Wizard is fucking creepy. Nickelodeon's first pedophile.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated March 29, 2013 - 2:44pm

. . .there is only one metaphor. The rest are similes. Got it. Good.

Aren't similes a type of metaphor?

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 2:45pm

And Dave Coulliete(sp) was likely the second.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 29, 2013 - 2:47pm

A simile only compares. A metaphor transforms one thing into another.

John is as relentless as a wolverine. - simile.

John is nothing but a wolverine, hateful and relentless. - metaphor.

fport's picture
fport from Canada is reading The World Until Yesterday - Jared Diamond March 29, 2013 - 2:48pm

Photon, Superman and Batman were both friends and allies before comics were allowed to be grown up and have complex themes and relationships. You can be as sanctimoniously stiff necked and obstinate about what you will accept, but I was there.

As the two earliest superheroes, Batman and Superman are frequent costars in each other's titles, and are often used to highlight differences between vigilante and lawful crimefighting. In the early crossovers, the Man of Steel and the Dark Knight were usually depicted as good friends who cheerfully assisted one another against foes who were too big to be dealt with alone.
In more recent times, their friendship has been depicted as more uneasy, but still with a deep amount of respect.[55] In the current chronology, Batman and Superman first encounter one another early in their careers when Superman arrives in Gotham City to arrest the notorious "outlaw" known as Batman, just as Batman is investigating a murderous criminal named Magpie.[56] Superman left this encounter with Batman, believing he had the best of intentions, though disagreeing with Batman's methods. As Superman flew back to Metropolis, Batman lamented to himself that Superman was a remarkable individual and that "perhaps, in another lifetime, he might call the Man of Steel his friend."[56]
They have collaborated many times in the years since then, learning each other's secret identities, recognizing that their goals are essentially the same, and despite their frequent tense relationship, close allies and friends.[57] Superman has entrusted Lex Luthor's Kryptonite ring to Batman, as a weapon to be used against Superman in case the Man of Steel should ever be turned against the people of Earth.[58] In keeping with that attitude, Batman and Superman are often depicted as being the opposite sides of the same coin, both products of their environments, as indicated in their vastly different styles of crime fighting. Superman became a hero because he subscribed to wholesome idealism, while Batman was motivated by personal tragedy and a troubled past. Regardless, after one instance of Batman using the ring to prevent a mind-controlled Superman from wrongdoing, Superman told Batman that he knew he, "gave the ring to the right person." Batman shook his hand, and simply said, "What're friends for?"[55]

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 29, 2013 - 2:56pm

Hey, as complex as all that was, my takeaway was that I finally got someone's permission to be sanctimoniously stiffnecked and obstinate, so good day all around!

Now, if I can somehow fenagle permission to aim America's nuclear arsenal at any 'nation' of my choice, then it will really be a party.

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry March 29, 2013 - 8:52pm

Settle that old score with Turkey?

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 30, 2013 - 6:03am

Hey, now that is one very educated reply!

Turkey would be second on my list, but definitely a close second.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz March 30, 2013 - 7:01am

Mind if I do a j?

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 30, 2013 - 7:04am

What's a J?

Do you mean joint, or jumanji?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest March 30, 2013 - 7:16am

The Dude abides.

Strange Photon's picture
Strange Photon from Fort Wayne, IN is reading Laurie Anderson lyrics March 30, 2013 - 7:20am

El Duderino.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal January 12, 2017 - 3:54pm

#skynet

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal January 12, 2017 - 3:54pm

#skynet

bethwenn's picture
bethwenn from Milwaukee is reading The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann January 12, 2017 - 6:04pm

Thanks, James. That's totes what I need.

MattF's picture
MattF from Tokyo is reading Borges' Collected Fictions January 21, 2017 - 7:36pm

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated February 19, 2017 - 3:44pm

Back in the day! lol