TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 3, 2013 - 10:14pm

I will personally send everyone who reads and gives an honest review of Servants of the Last Man a check for 300 million dollars.

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 3, 2013 - 10:56pm

Hey now! You'd better be ready to put your money where your mouth is on that one ;) Of course, you didn't say the check would clear either!

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff March 4, 2013 - 3:41am

Because I liked the idea so much, I went ahead and made a page that will show you a random submission. In theory, it will also filter out those submissions you've already rated.

Beautiful, because I will not be able to read all submissions. I was giving priority to the familiar names since it's cool to follow the progress of other fellow writers, specially those who show up in the forum. I appreciate some degree of interaction. With the random button, though, I can also check new faces without having to guess from title. We can't all be social the same way.

I've also developed a personal voting strategy. I'm first reading and commenting all the stories I can, so then I can draw a personal chart to help me vote as we get closer to the final deadline. At least I want to try this way now, and see if it's useful in order to avoid giving thumbs up to everybody because I want everybody to win. I also don't like giving thumbs down, I rather say: Look, in my opinion you can do this and this to improve. But, yeah, this is a challenge after all, so to each their own.

Tim Needles's picture
Tim Needles from Port Jefferson, New York is reading Stories edited by Neil Gaiman March 4, 2013 - 5:17am

I found a grammatical mistake in my story and I wanted to correct it, is that still possible or will my story disappear into the ether if I try to pull it down and upload the correction?

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 4, 2013 - 5:28am

Loving the random story button!

A request: Can you do an image map on the LitReactor logo and have the red drop lead to this feature? As in only the red drop. SECRET BUTTON! How can you resist?

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 4, 2013 - 5:28am

Loving the random story button!

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 4, 2013 - 12:45pm

Hey fellow LitReactors and Teleport Us participants. I noticed one story hasn't been read yet, not even once. I messaged the writer and told him I'd move him to the top of my list and read/rate/review it for him as soon as I get home from work, which is still several hours from now. If anyone has some time to spare, here is the link. Let's show a brother some love.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce March 4, 2013 - 3:39pm

You are very kindhearted, JR! I actually plan on reading stories with very few votes this week so they get a bit of love.

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 4, 2013 - 3:44pm

My story's kind of stagnated for reads, probably because I've already had my fair share, more than my fair share, but, just on the off chance anybody's looking, I'ma throw it out there: The Gorund

Excellent idea on the random story button. The perfect tool for those of us who won't have time to read every story.

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 4, 2013 - 5:13pm

A round of applause to Jonathan Riley. He's really one of the most active and conscientious authors on the board, and has really shown great enthusiasm for the challenge/workshop, for encouraging writers, and for advancing the interests of the community. -applause-

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes March 4, 2013 - 7:59pm

Jonathan Riley: That was really nice.

Earlier this evening I read and commented on that story-- for that very reason.  Everyone deserves some encouragement, for sure.  This part of the discussion makes me happy to have joined the LitReactor community.  I'm looking forward to more participation.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On March 4, 2013 - 8:40pm

JR is the shit around here, and a hell of a writer to boot.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder March 4, 2013 - 9:23pm

JR, I already told you how awesome you are semi-privately, and now I have to do it here publicly?

OMG

And I'd tell you your insights would be most welcome in my story thread, but you've already been there. Natch.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 4, 2013 - 9:39pm

You guys are making me blush.

@Mess, You are awesome!!!

@Ender thanks man, I remember a few people going out of there way to help me when I was new during the last challenge and I just wouldn't feel right if I didn't extend the same curtousy. MessJess being one of those afore mentioned generous and awesome people.

@M.E.S, I just noticed your Tunguska story was in the actuall workshop. If you still need more comments after the challenge I could try to do a grammar sweep, or look for misspellings or incorrect punctuation though that isn't my strong suit. But I gave you all my comments on structre, charachter, concept and what not. I could post them in there too if you'd like. Plus the points couldn't hurt ;)

@Dino, you say that but I have a feeling you are going to kick my ass in the flash contest once again ;)

@WHammer, Welcome to the Lit. Glad to have you. Do you have a story up. I'm adding active thread participants to my must read list before I start randomly reading.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder March 4, 2013 - 10:10pm

Go for it Jonathan, if you dare. It's been a hornet's nest in there. And you deserve the points!

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 5, 2013 - 7:03am

That's strange- found this on the AP this morning.

A new study is suggesting that reading and reviewing Servants Of The Last Man may be an adequate surrogate for diet and exercise, with many test subjects losing up to 4 pounds per review. "We have no idea what the science behind this discovery could be," says Dr. Erik Magnusson of the prestigious Mayo Clinic, "but it seems there's no getting around the fact that it works. Plus, look at my thighs! Holy shit!" The clinical trial is ongoing.

SamaLamaWama's picture
SamaLamaWama from Dallas is reading Something Wicked This Way Comes March 5, 2013 - 7:12am

My story is feeling as neglected as a middle-aged woman at a NAMBLA convention. I'd return the favor to anyone willing to check it out. I'm working backwards through the stacks, but so far, that doesn't seem to be working in my favor. I think I'll have to fire up that random generator thingy. ~Sam

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes March 5, 2013 - 7:27am

Jonathan: Thanks for the welcome!  I'm excited to be here; I've enjoyed the challenge and reading stories.I've not ventured too far out into the community at large.  That will be the next step.

I do have a story up in the Teleport Us challenge. It's called AffirmNation.

It's my first attempt at writing Science-Fiction, and getting out of my comfort zone was good for me.

I appreciate all readers, and I'll gladly return the favor.

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 5, 2013 - 2:30pm

Oh. Look at that. The W stands for Wendy. I thought... well, nevermind. :)

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes March 5, 2013 - 3:26pm

Ha!  Whatever works.  :-)

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 5, 2013 - 9:37pm

After reading through forty or fifty entries, has anyone else found themselves dreading it when they see another 3000+ word count?  Ah well, only 78 more to go and I keep finding little gems that make it worth it!

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 5, 2013 - 9:42pm

You're a beast Arlane. THere is no way I'll have time to read them all. I'd love to get atleast a third to half way through. Maybe more if possible.

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 5, 2013 - 10:10pm

@Johnathan Riley The only way I have even the possibility of reading that many is that I started on day one!  I have to average three a day to get through them all, which is just about all I can handle in a day ;)  Of course, there are so many good stories out in the challenge I don't want to miss any of them ;)

---

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 5, 2013 - 10:18pm

I have definitely learned a lot about the gap between how much I enjoy something, how deep and rich I want the story to go, and how much a reader will enjoy. I haven't read nearly the number of stories Arlene has, but I find myself dreading the 3000+'s as well. It's sometimes hard to come to grips with, but no matter how good you may be, or how much you work on a piece, a reader will never hold it so dearly as you, its author, does. It's been an opportunity to hone a skill I didn't understand the importance of before: measuring the propriety of method against the needs of the reader. For instance, in a contest like this, with so many stories, and so strong a community aspect, a bartering, really, I now wish I had worked much harder to stay far and away from that 4k mark. Or, when you're on the forum, which is basically a conversation in blurbs, and you just keep rambling on and on and on about the same subject, and essentially repeating and reforming the same idea ad nauseam until no one can stand the sound of your voice anymore.

The Gorund

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 5, 2013 - 11:56pm

I'm plowing through the stories to the detriment of my work and family life, but I am getting the creeping suspicion that I'm actually learning stuff from this process.

My story is about 2300 words. I must have written thrice that in comments since I started.

As to the length of stories and how to approach them, I am evolving as a reader and a reviewer. I do give out thumbs down and it hurts a little less when I do it, but I will confess I'm reaching for the thumb up more often than not.

Some stories feel like a chore to read. But then there are those that just pull you in and shove 4K into your mind before you even knew what happened. Those stories are like heroin. You just gargle in extacy and drool a little bit, and then you keep reading, because now you're an addict.

Here are some recent favorites: Transport, Servants Of The Last Man, AffirmNation

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 6, 2013 - 2:32am

Proud of all you "read the lot" authors, but I'm afraid I won't be joining you! (too busy writing new stories and - you know - that "work" thing) I've already read, voted, and commented on three times the number of stories than I have received votes and comments for, so either people are working their way through alphabetically, (mine is Xenophobe !) or you are massively in the minority.

I will read more before the end of the voting period, and I will read any that do comment on mine, whether they vote yay or nay... but I reckon I'm going to only get through maybe a quarter?

Liam

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff March 6, 2013 - 3:00am

It's good to see you guys appreciate the learning power of reviewing others. We have the issue of writers who are convinced that the only way to improve is by getting advice. That's only part of a process which, in my opinion, needs to be as reciprocal as it can get. Reading a work in progress with the virgin eyes of the external reader is a chance to clearly see what works and what doesn't, even just because it's the first time we see that piece. It's something we will never be able to do with our own stuff, because we are stuck in all its backstage operations.

On the other hand, we need to know what we are talking about when we write a critique, and that's when feedback and essays from the experts come in play.

If you want a short story, mine is 2600 words. And it's got puppies. And burned flesh. Matter over Mind

Matt Hebert's picture
Matt Hebert from Vermont, originally, now in Dublin March 6, 2013 - 3:47am

I have to force myself not to look at the word count, just like I try to avoid seeing anything in the comments. I do break down sometimes when I'm thinking it can't go on much longer, though. I look at the vertical scroll bar and cringe a little when it looks tiny. :)

Matt Hebert's picture
Matt Hebert from Vermont, originally, now in Dublin March 6, 2013 - 4:32am

Just read @Liam's Xenophobe story, and highly recommend it. A well written and refreshing change of tone from most of the stories here, including mine. :)

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things March 6, 2013 - 7:02am

Mine was below 3000, but I'm pretty sure I pushed it over when I expanded on the ending (pre-deadline) when I saw that many, including myself, were not particularly satisfied with it. I've gotten more positive feedback on the expanded ending, at the cost of a slightly longer story. Oh well. I live to serve.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations March 6, 2013 - 9:11am

I may use @Matt Hebert 's description above as my new tag line somewhere! Couldn't ask for more - thanks again! I look forward to reading yours and @Flaminia's stories in return.

It might be the whole utopia/dystopia criteria, which leads to more bleak and difficult worlds, but I do find that I automatically give a more positive rating to "fun" stories -I've certainly used that to decide in favour of a couple that I thought were otherwise borderline. As Matt says, a tongue in cheek attitude can allow for a slightly less plausible world - you're more willing to suspend disbelief, if you're enjoying the reading!

Anyone who sees a fun story out there, holler out, and I'll certainly add it to my to read pile! :)

Liam

(Oh I keep forgetting : Xenophobe ! )

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 6, 2013 - 12:25pm

More and more articles coming out about the health and social benefits of SERVANTS OF THE LAST MAN. The latest one claims that "readers of TomMartinArt's searing tribute to technological utopianism have more sex." I mean really? That CAN'T be real, can it??

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 6, 2013 - 5:16pm

I just read an angry email from my wife, and now I keep hearing all the comments here in my head in the same tone.

ender.che.13's picture
ender.che.13 from Northwestern U.S. living in the southeast peach. is reading Ken Follett March 6, 2013 - 5:17pm

Also, one of the stories I tried clicking on earlier kept saying access denied? Why?

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things March 6, 2013 - 5:24pm

Outside of trying to fulfill my promise to read the story of everyone who reads my own submission, I am making good use of the random button.

I think my second brilliant idea for the contest would be hiding the ratings for each story until we've submitted our own rating. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, but I'm having a difficult time avoiding bias when I see the graphic beforehand. It's not even the bad stories I'm worried about; it's the good ones. Who really wants to be the guy to be the one to knock that top-rated story off the first page with its first bad review?

Hell, even a mouse-over reveal would be good enough, or putting it at the bottom of the page, or something. Just keep those of us who want to remain unbiased from seeing the convenient graphic beforehand. I think it would ensure far more honest reviews, and ensure that some of the lower-rated stories actually get some readers.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works March 6, 2013 - 6:12pm

My favorites at this time are:

Servants of the Last Man

Gravidism

The Gorund

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 7, 2013 - 12:33am

I think it's a shame quite a few people are just reading the stories of those that comment on their story.  I have genuinely learned a great deal more from reading the other stories and the comments on them than I have from comments on my own story.  I wasn't intending to attempt to read and comment on all the entrants, but I found it so useful, I'm determined to get through them all now.  Sure, some of them are a little heavy going, or not quite my thing, but there are some very good pieces in the contest, and I don't want to miss any.  The random button surely makes it easier for those not looking to sweep through as I am.  I hope some of those that have implied that they will only read a story of the author comments on theirs change their minds.  Not only might you find something you really like, I guarantee it will help improve your own writing.

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon March 7, 2013 - 1:52am

I think this forum could be used more to give tips on read-worthy stories. It's kind of ardous to plow through an endless list of stories. I am going to do it. I'm just complaining. Love that complaining.

The Sea Came

Gorund

Gravidism

Servants of the last man

Regulated acts of violence

AffrimNation

Ubi Cor Ibi Domu

A Black Tie Affair

I've probably left out a bunch of favorites. But these you should check out, IMNSHO.

/Klas

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) March 7, 2013 - 3:47am

I'll add a few to these:

Bad Signal

Anomaly

Call Me Tim

Implant

Kinju

Yes Admin

Last Man On Mars

I also very much second Ubi Cor Ibi Domu

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 7, 2013 - 11:03am

Just finished reading Fracture and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for utopian story.  It needs a little proof reading, but the author did a good job of making an actual utopia an interesting world.  At least for me ;)

Robert Gislason's picture
Robert Gislason from Iceland is reading Ender's game March 7, 2013 - 11:10am

I was starting to think that nothing was happening here, but then I found this tread sparkling with life.

I have 4 reads on my story Thirst so far an got good constructive comments. Pretty happy as it is my debut in writing in english.

Great website. :)

Nathalie's picture
Nathalie from France March 7, 2013 - 2:10pm

finally got time to start reading other stories and I just realized there was a whole thread about the contest, woot! Feels like christmas.

Thanks for sharing the titles you enjoyed guys, it is a bit overwhelming trying to determine how to pick a story when there are so many. Although I still hope I'll get to read as many as possible (I've read 7 so far).

Sarah Cannon's picture
Sarah Cannon March 7, 2013 - 3:05pm

@ender.che.13 , I was getting the same message on one specific story. Couldn't figure out if it had been pulled for some reason, or what. I'll look later and see if I can figure out which one it is.

I'll go ahead and wave, while I'm answering. I entered the contest, but am new to Lit Reactor and revising a manuscript, so I've been reading stories, but have mostly steered clear of the boards.

Faves so far include The Sea Came, Affirmnation, The Transport, The Last Dance...I made some suggestions on The Zoo, but the first half of it completely sucked me in, so I'll list that one, too.

Mine is Hiram Wakes, and I'd be grateful to anyone who has time to take a look.

ETA it was UNIT SIX that I couldn't access, which didn't make sense, as it had so many ratings. Obviously someone's reading it...

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. March 7, 2013 - 4:41pm

I can't say for certain, but I suspect the answer to what is wrong with that story is related to a comment Kirk had earlier in the thread. I think it's a couple of pages back.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 7, 2013 - 4:49pm

I've only read about 20 so far but intend to read many many more. All the ones yall have mentioned that I have not read yet are definitely going on my "Must read before comp is over list."

Also, everyone pimping their story in this thread will go on that list too.

I've read some of the afore mentioned as yalls list of favorites and have to agree with the ones I've read already.

I'm a little suprised  Gizmo is not on anyone's list. Out of the twenty I've read it's easily in my top 3.

A must read for sure!!!

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce March 7, 2013 - 4:51pm

I think either someone withdrew the story themselves or they were one of the people creating multiple accounts to upvote themselves.

I am going to read and review lots of stories from people I don't know tomorrow, really looking forward to it! Any awesome reads that haven't got a mention yet in the thread that I should have a look at?

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 7, 2013 - 4:54pm

People have been making multiple accounts to upvote themselves?? Ew. That is shitty.

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce March 7, 2013 - 4:56pm

@Tom - I reckon. And fucking stupid. Only a matter of time before you get caught engaging in that sort of behaviour.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland March 7, 2013 - 4:56pm

Kirk caught the perpetraters and gave em the boot.

TomMartinArt's picture
TomMartinArt from Amherst, MA March 7, 2013 - 5:15pm

Good. Take a hike, pardon my coarse language.