C Patrick Neagle's picture
C Patrick Neagle from Portland, Oregon is reading words, words, words April 2, 2013 - 6:41am

Congratulations to everyone who posted a story for this challenge (and to everyone who read them). It isn't an easy thing to put your work out there for others to read and perhaps obliterate with their commentary. I've really enjoyed this process, though, despite the flinching everytime I opened up my mail to see what someone had written (all very positive, thanks!). I very much appreciated everyone who read and commented on my story. I just wish I'd been able to read more of them myself (y'know, all of them).

--Patrick...

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) April 2, 2013 - 11:32pm

This has finished hasn't it? I didn't miss a post or something saying it had been extended?

SamaLamaWama's picture
SamaLamaWama from Dallas is reading Something Wicked This Way Comes April 3, 2013 - 7:04am

Yea, I know, right. It's very unsatisfying for it to end like this. So much build and then nada (vaguely similar to a few of the dates I've had in the past.) I expected fireworks and pats on the back for a job well done and Champaign toasts for the winners. Instead, I get nothing. Radio-friggin-silence. Damn my unrealistic expectations!

Well, here’s your champagne toast Adam Jenkins from me. This is to you and ArlaneEnalra who took on this massive task to make sure no one was left behind.

There are others who offered kind words when I was down, so I raise another toast to GG_Silverman and Juice Ica for being supportive and kind.

There’s also Whammer, Linda and Ethan Cooper who gave valuable feedback and made me see the bigger picture of my story.

Then there is klahol who said I could go even darker—thanks for that, I was pulling back so I wouldn’t offend. And ender.che.13 for keeping it short and sweet.

I had to refill my glass for this one: Liam Hogan. Your questions and thoughts on my story were amazing. I wrote them down and made sure to cross each one off my list as I redrafted the story. You went above and beyond—and no, I’m not just reciting some corporate mantra—I really mean it.

And finally to Joe P, who came through on the 2nd to the last day to help me reach my goal of 15 reviews.

I raise my glass to everyone who had the balls to do this. I’ve learned so much in such a short amount of time. I’ve already started to go through withdrawals, so I’ve joined the workshop. I hope to see you there.

~Sam

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations April 3, 2013 - 7:37am

Ooh! Champagne toast indeed! It was a pleasure reading and commenting on the few (a quarter?) I managed in the month, and while I wasn't entirely sure if stories were meant to be edited during the review period (and therefore didn't!) rest assured I will be taking all comments and tackling Xenophobe afresh, before deciding what the heck to do with it after that!

For those of you more on top of things, I offer two places you might send your polished work to - for fun.

Liars League - 2000 words on Man & Machine, by 7th April

The Redline - 3500 words on "The End of the World" by 30th April. (£50 prize on offer)

Enjoy!

Liam

Fhhakansson's picture
Fhhakansson from Sweden is reading Odd Interlude - Dean Koontz April 3, 2013 - 8:11am

I have to say thank you to everyone as well! This has been a great experience, especially after receiving so much positive feedback. It gave me the boost in confidence I needed.

For the "Scare Us" challenge they gave prizes to those who read and commented on each and every story. I hope they do the same now since those people truly deserve something extra!

I also agree with SamaLamaWama. The people mentioned in your post helped me a lot of well! Without you I would never have gotten as far as I did - and I would never have received the feedback needed to improve my story.

Liam: Those links are very useful! I was just about to look up something else to do now that the event is over. Thank you so much!

Regards, Fredrik.

Sound's picture
Sound from Azusa, CA is reading Greener Pastures by Michael Wehunt April 3, 2013 - 8:32am

Thanks, Ethan. I'm honored to have my story on anyone's list of favs.

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon April 3, 2013 - 9:03am

Fuck you, Cancer. Fuck you very much. http://friends.banksophilia.com/

I am crushed to hear that Fate is going to deprive me of my favourite author. I want to go out, find Cancer, and kick its motherloving ass. Damn it. Damn it.

'Will you do me the honour of being my widow?' Shit. Now I think I'm going to cry, as well.

Dark, dark day.

/K

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 3, 2013 - 9:15am

If this goes the same as Scare-Us did, we should hear something more in a short while. Our fearless leaders have to have a little time to tabulate all that data into something understandable.

@klahol I can't agree with you more.  Cancer is one of those demons of the modern world that takes so many before their time.  It's a demon I sorely wish were cast into the burning pit.

Michael.Eric.Snyder's picture
Michael.Eric.Snyder April 3, 2013 - 9:26am

Cancer sucks. But at least he's got a year to defy expectations, hopefully, and live longer. That is some consolation I can find. Personally speaking, I would have given anything to have 7 extra months knowing, loving,  reminiscing, and preparing.

And cherishing. Oh so much more cherishing.

Onward and forward.

BTW, thanks to those who read and commented on my story and even honored it on a best-of list.

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes April 3, 2013 - 2:31pm

The news about Banks is indeed very sad. I'll be lifting my glass to him....

And to the rest of you.*Cheers*.

This has been a fantastic introduction to the site.  I loved reading stories (and wished I had been as awesome as the amazing people who got through them all).  I'm really looking forward to doing some revisions on my story. I'll be using the excellent feedback to hopefully make it better.

I'll be getting into the Workshops next and I signed up for a couple of classes. I hope to see you around!

--Wendy

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon April 4, 2013 - 6:06am

....

*sound of crickets*

scifiwriterguy's picture
scifiwriterguy from Chicago, IL is reading Iscariot by Tosca Lee April 4, 2013 - 9:22am

In no particular order I relly liked:

A Song for my Brother

An Incident at Winter House 12

The Sea Came

Xenophobe

Implant

Theotokos

Diet or Die

Overall? Probably A Song for my Brother, largely because it had a nice touch of sweetness, which was rare in the competition. Also a lovely use of imagery.

Cipherscribe's picture
Cipherscribe from Michigan, but all my exes live in Texas. is reading Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight April 4, 2013 - 9:58am

Thank you to everyone who voted and commented on my story. What now? Like, who won and stuff?

Fhhakansson's picture
Fhhakansson from Sweden is reading Odd Interlude - Dean Koontz April 4, 2013 - 12:18pm

Well, considering the event ended on April 1st I'd say...

Well played Litreactor. Well played!

Joe P's picture
Joe P from Brainerd, MN is reading Pet Sematary April 4, 2013 - 4:11pm

So I'm not the only one wondering about when this whole thing will wrap up. I thumbed up and commented on a story yesterday so..... Game on?

If any of you guys want to try it, feel free to read, vote and comment on mine: http://litreactor.com/events/teleport-us/sapience

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland April 4, 2013 - 4:56pm

As I learned when I participated in the Scare Us challenge it takes them several days to tally votes and assign your proffesional reviewers and what not. There should be an update column shortly, I'm guessing.

As far as the stories go. No votes will count after the first, or whenever the official deadline was 31st? But your stories will remain up to be commented on until you remove the files yourselves. So if you start sending the story out for publication be sure to remember to remove it from the Teleport Us workshop.

Joe P's picture
Joe P from Brainerd, MN is reading Pet Sematary April 4, 2013 - 5:23pm

Well, it was worth a shot. Good luck everybody!

Nick's picture
Nick from Toronto is reading Adjustment Day April 6, 2013 - 3:20pm

I've been in Reno for six weeks. Did I miss anything?

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 6, 2013 - 4:36pm

@Nick, the end of the contest ;) We're waiting on our fearless leaders to tabulate the results! The stories are still up, though the voting won't count anymore. They're definitely worth a read if you haven't read them all yet!

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 8, 2013 - 6:24am

Yeah, you can expect updates and winners to be announced pretty soon.  No worries.

Keep an eye out for our top reviewers to be named first!

Tim Needles's picture
Tim Needles from Port Jefferson, New York is reading Stories edited by Neil Gaiman April 8, 2013 - 9:12am

Thanks for the heads up @Averydoll! I wonder if @ArlaneEnalra might be a top reviewer...hmm...?

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 8, 2013 - 10:22am

@Tim Needles I'm wondering myself.  It depends on how they track reads.  While I commented on every story, there were a few that I refrained from voting on for various reasons. (Mostly to not add to the carnage or add a down vote on a story that was well written but had some aspect that irked me). We'll see!  I'm dead certain that Adam should be there though ;)

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things April 8, 2013 - 3:32pm

I've been trying to occupy my time going through the workshop submissions, and I'm really wishing there was a random button in there as well. Some of the older work (like mine) could still use some reviews, though there should be a way to close out submissions for those who don't want any more review on it.

Tim Needles's picture
Tim Needles from Port Jefferson, New York is reading Stories edited by Neil Gaiman April 11, 2013 - 4:00am

That's really the right thing to do @ArlaneEnalra, I felt bad for those guys- there were two that never saw a positive rating, that's tough, no reason to make it worse!

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 12, 2013 - 10:44am

Way to go @Adam and @Klahol! :)  and everyone else on that list!

dufrescm's picture
dufrescm from Wisconsin is reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep April 12, 2013 - 10:43am

Way to go you guys!  You all rock!

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations April 12, 2013 - 11:08am

Well done the super-reviewers! I'm proud to be picked out to stand alongside the second rank of top-reviewers along with a number of names I now recognise! (And a few I don't - I may have to dive in and check out their work!)

Maria Stanislav's picture
Maria Stanislav from the UK is reading ALL the submissions! April 12, 2013 - 11:13am

Now that was an unexpected moment of cool! Congrats to everyone! *happydances around the list*

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters April 12, 2013 - 11:18am

This is the part that makes me smile.

Congrats to EVERYONE.  It wasn't easy to narrow this list down.

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 12, 2013 - 11:24am

@averydoll I can believe it!  There were a number of reviewers with excellent commentary, and just as many stories as well.

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries April 12, 2013 - 11:29am

Congrats everyone, and a big hand to the LitReactor team for hosting this challenge, it has truly been an amazing experience.

Wendy Hammer's picture
Wendy Hammer from Indiana is reading One Night in Sixes April 12, 2013 - 12:43pm

Yes, bow down to the amazing reviewers: ArlaneEnaira, Adam, and Klahol!  I recognized each of you and I really appreciate what you've done.

Like Liam, I am happy to be named alongside you.  I didn't get to nearly as many as I would have liked to, but I'm really pleased that I made the list.

Thanks, LitReactor, for hosting this challenge.

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) April 13, 2013 - 12:03pm

Well this was certainly nice to come home to. Perfect end to the holiday. I can't wait for the writing winners next!

C Patrick Neagle's picture
C Patrick Neagle from Portland, Oregon is reading words, words, words April 13, 2013 - 9:03pm

Indeed. All I can do is echo everyone else. Congrats to all, and thanks for a great time!

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things April 13, 2013 - 9:22pm

I'm ready for the next event. Anyone have a guess as to the theme?

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. April 13, 2013 - 10:42pm

If I had to guess, it would be Scare Us 2 ;)

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon April 13, 2013 - 11:30pm

Fantasy? Knight Us? Elf Us? Orc Us?

Humor? Tickle Us?

Erotica? Arouse Us? That could get steamy, especially in the reviews.

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries April 13, 2013 - 11:40pm

^Hahaha, Arouse Us? I wish you hadn't put that idea out in the universe, but since you have, what kind of criteria do you think would be appropriate?

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon April 14, 2013 - 2:59am

Ye gods, I have no idea. Not an avid reader of the category myself. Urrrr.... 2500-4000 words dealing with the theme of physical or mental arousal? Some sort of NAMBLA clause, no kiddie stuff, no rape or coercing, storys featuring consenting adults only?

I don't know. I am pretty certain I wouldnt participate. I think I'm withdrawing this idea from the universe.

Adam Jenkins's picture
Adam Jenkins from Bracknell, England is reading RCX Magazine (Issue 1 coming soon) April 14, 2013 - 4:52am

Baffle Us - Crime?

Dazzle Us - Magic?

Johann Thorsson's picture
Johann Thorsson from Reykjavik, Iceland is reading Echo Lake April 14, 2013 - 6:23am

Amuse Us - humor.

Confuse Us - locked-room mystery.

SamaLamaWama's picture
SamaLamaWama from Dallas is reading Something Wicked This Way Comes April 14, 2013 - 6:28am

Wouldn't it be fun if they had a Wheel of Genres (I hear an echo when I say that) and you spun it twice to mix two random genres together. The possibilities would be endless. Bonnet books mixed with cyborg attacks. Self-help with a side of bondage. Humor mixed with ethnic cleansing. Now that would be challenging.

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations April 14, 2013 - 7:14am

Magic Us. Or Murder Us. (Fantasy or Crime, having done horror and scifi...)

Liam Hogan's picture
Liam Hogan from Earth is reading Hugo Nominations April 14, 2013 - 7:28am

Or Thrill Us for any thriller (crime included...)

klahol's picture
klahol from Stockholm, Sweden is reading Black Moon April 14, 2013 - 7:33am

Hey @SamaLamaWama, check out the random plot generator app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-brainstormer/id374496865

Maria Stanislav's picture
Maria Stanislav from the UK is reading ALL the submissions! April 14, 2013 - 9:10am

When it comes to plot generators, you have to check out They Fight Crime (and possibly get stuck there for a while...).

Chacron's picture
Chacron from England, South Coast is reading Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb April 14, 2013 - 11:18am

Fascinate Us - Autobiography

Wonder who'd be brave enough!

Linda's picture
Linda from Sweden is reading Fearful Symmetries April 14, 2013 - 12:15pm

Wise decision, my friend.

SamaLamaWama's picture
SamaLamaWama from Dallas is reading Something Wicked This Way Comes April 14, 2013 - 12:47pm

@klahol I'm so downloading that to the phone right now. I'm also taking Skipp's class next month, so see you there.

@Marie I'll check out that website. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd really like the horror one again since that's my favorite genre, but I'm sure I'll participate no matter what.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works April 15, 2013 - 8:23am

Enchant Us: fantasy

I like the idea of a mystery theme though.