bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. July 17, 2012 - 7:17am

When I revised a post and put up the new version, I got zero new votes.  So, I'd put it in a new post.

(edit: I got one new one.  A helpful review.  But I put it up as a new story, anyway.)

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. July 17, 2012 - 9:19am

@howie That appears to be what I have been experiencing.  I'm a little new here so I don't want to break decorum through ignorance, at least not too badly ;)

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 18, 2012 - 4:21am

I revised my story but I only replaced the current file. Then in the spot for story summary I put in an edit note.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks July 19, 2012 - 7:08am

I've managed to, once again, write a story that exceeds the word limit, ha ha, I can't win! Maybe I can make some cuts and post it soon.

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne July 19, 2012 - 8:11am

Take the knife to it, man! There's always fluff, always bloat. Find it and be merciless!

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz July 19, 2012 - 3:40pm

I'm going through the same thing - I can't tell the story I want to tell in 4K which is awesome for two reasons:

1) a good exercise in editing

2) to tell the story I really, really, really want to tell and to incorporate the themes that are important to me, I believe I stumbled upon what may become my first novel or novella. It's good to know I have something larger scale at work here.

I'm going to try to edit tonight and hopefully post it to workshop tomorrow or this weekend and then have it submitted by the deadline.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks July 19, 2012 - 4:49pm

The first one is at about 4,500, and I think i can cut it down to 4,000 without too much fuss, but the one I just finished is closer to 6,500 and I'd be lucky to cut it down to 5,000, let alone 4,000, otherwise I'd lose way too much story. Arrgghghgh!

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz July 19, 2012 - 7:22pm

I'm at 4100. Shouldn't be too bad to tighten up. I did some rough editing on a print out. As of right now, I'm ok with the story. When do I get to hating it? Tomorrow morning?

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 20, 2012 - 5:58am

I couldn't get mine under 4,100. After a few edits it sits at 3,500 and could probably be leaner. It's no fun but having a close to finished product feels great.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz July 20, 2012 - 6:15am

It's been busy with work and other things but I need to get back to reading as many of the submissions as I can. I've only ready maybe 5 or so but they've been really fun reads. Lawrence, as a fellow over 4,000ander - I'll make sure to read yours when it's up. Just give me a heads up.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks July 20, 2012 - 6:45am

Today I submit something and start reading a few scary stories! Finally.

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 20, 2012 - 6:45am

Thanks Otis, I posted a few days ago. The name of the story is HOWL. Let us know when you get yours up as well.

I've been making my way through the submissions as well. I've done about nine. I have a story called Crystal by Emma on my work computer right now to read on my lunch break.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks July 20, 2012 - 9:12am

Once again, I cannot get it under 4,000. Blah! Though I did manage to cut 400 words and after all is said and done, I'm very happy with the story. Ah well, there's that at least.

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz July 20, 2012 - 9:49am

Americantypo, just do what I'm doing. Slash the last couple of paragraphs and write, "but it was all a dream." Readers really love that ending anyway. Give the fans what they want.

Hector Acosta's picture
Hector Acosta from Dallas is reading Fletch July 20, 2012 - 10:07am

And if you add a "OR WAS IT?" at the end, you leave yourself open for a sequel.

Anthony McArthur's picture
Anthony McArthur from Georgia is reading The Talisman July 20, 2012 - 10:18am

Hi everyone!  I'm relatively new to the site and this is the first time I've ever written and submitted anything for review, so I'd greatly appreciate any and all help with my story (which is called "Skin & Bones," by the way).  Thanks to Jane Wiseman and everyone else who has read/rated/commented.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like July 20, 2012 - 10:28am

"Once [the protagonist] was in his car and on the road, one could have seen:

slowly,

very slowly,

almost imperceptibly slowly,

a hand emerged from the loose, shallow earth,

its hellish nails and occult digits grasping at new airy life from the suffocating terrestrial eternity

which [the protagonist] had bestowed upon its owner

and before the deathly dawning of the sun,

The Child moans again..."

lspieller's picture
lspieller from Los Angeles July 20, 2012 - 2:20pm

If anyone has time, I'd love some more feedback on Itch! Any suggestions as to how I can improve it would be greatly appreciated!!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies July 20, 2012 - 8:51pm

ah, i'm going to blow this deadline. unless i have a day off and genius strikes. i have this idea, just no time to execute it. keep kicking ass, guys and gals.

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 21, 2012 - 5:50am

I'll go read it right now, Ispieller!

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres July 21, 2012 - 10:19am

I submitted a story for this challenge, which was the first time I've ever done such a thing.  For the most part, anything I've ever written has had a readership of one (me) and has later ended up in a garbage dump somewhere in Northern Illinois.  Within the first couple days of posting my initial draft, I had a small handful of comments that really helped me see things I might not have seen with my own critical eyes.  Thanks again!  I was able to take those ideas and (hopefully) improve my story, posting a new edit.  I'm in a place with my writing where I am comfortable with my ideas, but still making sure they are coming across as I see them in my head.  So I'd love to hear more critiques, if anyone has the time.  My story is 1,000 Steps and if anyone is willing to give it a read and tell me what they like/didn't like I'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. While you're at it, definitely do check out Ispieller's story The Itch.  It's great!

Lawrence's picture
Lawrence from Dallas, Texas is reading Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King July 21, 2012 - 11:15am

You did a great job on your story Sean I really dug it. Great setting, and a real ending.

If anyone want's to check mine out its called HOWL. I did a re-draft a week ago trying to correct some things people pointed out as well.

I noticed that while I have several comments, all very much appreciated. I think most people don't give the thumbs or thumbs down.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading The Warehouse by Rob Hart July 23, 2012 - 10:52am

Hi all! I'm a newbie looking for some more feedback on my story, Crystal. I've gotten three great comments and would like some more before attempting any revisions. I'm stymied right now.

Thanks to those who've checked it out! This is my first time sharing my writing with more than a handful of people.

Brad's picture
Brad from Australia is reading Speculative Fiction Quarterlies July 24, 2012 - 1:37am

I'm going to go all starving artist here and request somebody rate and/or review my story http://litreactor.com/events/scare-us/diprotodon . I'm happy to review everyone elses work in return.

@Emma, I'll check out your story if you check out mine?

Flaminia Ferina's picture
Flaminia Ferina from Umbria is reading stuff July 24, 2012 - 1:46am

Hell, I'll never make it with a revised version. A week filled with work ahead.

Good luck everybody!

notgump's picture
notgump from Florida is reading Everything I can about writing July 24, 2012 - 8:01am
HELLLPPP!!

I can't view stories. Whe I download I get a page of gobbledy-gook, computer symbols I guess.  In 20 tries I may get one opportunity to open a Word file. Anyone know what to do?

ArlaneEnalra's picture
ArlaneEnalra from Texas is reading Right now I'm editing . . .. July 24, 2012 - 9:11am

@notgump  You might try right clicking on the download link and selecting save as out of the options there.  It sounds like your browser is trying to view the file rather than save it.  If you save it, you should then be able to open the file like any other word document.

lspieller's picture
lspieller from Los Angeles July 24, 2012 - 9:30am

On the mug front -- I received mine a few weeks ago, and there were 2 tiny plastic monsters in it.

That LitReactor apparently didn't include...

Spooky :)

Michael J. Riser's picture
Michael J. Riser from El Cerrito, CA (originally), now Fort Worth, TX is reading The San Veneficio Canon - Michael Cisco, The Croning - Laird Barron, By the Time We Leave Here, We'll Be Friends - J. David Osborne July 24, 2012 - 8:49pm

Actually, I've had that same problem. Just right-click and choose "save as" from the menu, gump. This doesn't seem to be an issue with workshop stories, just with the Scare Us ones. No clue why.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Tana French! July 26, 2012 - 1:36am

Finally... I managed to get my story done, its up now :)

Ben Court's picture
Ben Court from Brighton, England is reading House of the Spirits July 26, 2012 - 2:59am

Was told about this by a friend, so  joined the sight and am very excited to be doing this!

Ben Court's picture

lspieller's picture
lspieller from Los Angeles July 26, 2012 - 9:00am

when does the judging begin? aug 1?

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry July 26, 2012 - 9:47am

Someone is always judging you.

AssholeAmerican's picture
AssholeAmerican from America (CO, NE, NC, AK, NY, WA) is reading We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, Portable Atheist by Hitchens, 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill July 26, 2012 - 10:03am
David Ireland's picture
David Ireland from London is reading Confessions of an English Opium-Eater July 26, 2012 - 12:06pm

Hey guys,

New to the site and just posted my horror story 'The Shadow Man'. Would be great if any of you would take a look. I'm quite conflicted about the story, I tried something different (2nd person perspective) and writing in a really weird, trippy tone, and I'm interested to see if it comes over well.

If you need any more incentive, it's very short!

I'll be reading other stories from tomorrow.

Good luck everyone!

David

lspieller's picture
lspieller from Los Angeles July 27, 2012 - 12:55pm

new comment for you, David. Let me know what you think of mine if you get a chance :)

Chris Johnson's picture
Chris Johnson from Burlington NC is reading The Proud Highway July 27, 2012 - 10:35pm

Third draft up for Artificial Disasters. Hope everybody likes it. I tried to incorporate all the suggestions I found here. I considered them at least. Did a total reworking of the whole shebang on the second draft, changed the perspective from second to first. I couldn't make it work, so I cobbled the first and second drafts together and I think it's better now. Reviews will be returned, no joke. Just make it fast so I can get to your stories before Tuesday night. Thanks everybody!

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading The Warehouse by Rob Hart July 28, 2012 - 6:37pm

@Chris Just read your story for the first time, left a comment there.

Naomi Mesbur's picture
Naomi Mesbur from Toronto, Ontario, Canada is reading Burn Baby Burn Baby by Kevin T. Craig July 29, 2012 - 7:47pm

Hi-I posted a story, got very helpful comments, and then reposted my rewrite a couple of days ago as a new entry with (revised and rewritten) in the title. It doesn't look like anyone's taken a look at the new version, so I'm just wondering if someone could, if only so I can feel validated...or at least know if the file I uploaded can be opened by others. Thanks.

David Ireland's picture
David Ireland from London is reading Confessions of an English Opium-Eater July 30, 2012 - 4:54am

Hey Naomi, I read and commented on your story. Consider yourself validated :-)

My story is called The Shadow Man, if you have time to read it.

Shelby Chant's picture
Shelby Chant July 30, 2012 - 5:50am

Actually trying to leave work early today to post in time. Will you still accept submissions until midnight tonight (30th)?

Colin Speirs's picture
Colin Speirs from Glasgow, UK is reading Heroes (Joe Abercrombie), Russian Faerie Tales, historical Lovecraft, the Sickly Stuarts, Seabiscuit July 30, 2012 - 6:05am

Just planked mine in. Mine was written from scratch for this, so it took me a while.

Interested in the answer to Shelby's question as my wife also wants to submit her story.

One problem I am having is with .docx format stories. not having Office 2007+ (We use LibreOffice Writer and my story was written in plain text to be honest) I can't read them. Will have to see about a plug in for the .docx. Kind of annoying

Shelby Chant's picture
Shelby Chant July 30, 2012 - 6:08am

Mess_Jess's picture
Mess_Jess from Sydney, Australia, living in Toronto, Canada is reading Perfect by Rachael Joyce July 30, 2012 - 6:22am

Mine was an 11th hour submission as well, so I would love some feedback too!

Noami, David - I'll have a look at yours today.

I just realised mine is a docx file, and this may be problematic for people with older versions of word. I'll upload a doc. file today.

Jess

OtisTheBulldog's picture
OtisTheBulldog from Somerville, MA is reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz July 30, 2012 - 7:01am

I'll also be posting up last minute. Deadlines - love being up against them.

Ethan Cooper's picture
Ethan Cooper from Longview, TX is reading The Kill Room, Heart-Shaped Box, Dr. Sleep July 30, 2012 - 10:21am

Since this challenge gave me the opportunity to write something (0000911) I had in mind for at least 5 years, writing the story in 4k words ended up being my biggest challenge.

So, keeping that limit in mind the entire time I was writing, I really tried to keep extraneous, overly-long, poetic description out. That helped quite a bit. Here's how it went*:

1. ArlaneEnarla tells me about this challenge and wakes my muse up. Muse won't shut up, keeps reminding me about that idea I had all those years ago...
2. First draft: 4,300 words.
3. Edited it down to 4,000. (Muse did not appreciate my persistent word assassinations.)
4. Gave to friend to read. He made some really good suggestions.
5. Based on this, realized that I needed to adjust the plot a little, plus revise many sections for clarity.
6. Second draft: 4,200 words.
7. UGH. Edited back down to 4,000. (Muse invented new swear words to desribe what I was doing to ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL METAPHORS.)
8. Submitted to LitReactor
9. Friend immediately tells me that maybe I should not spell "through" as "though" in the first paragraph of story. (I invent new swear word then talk walk of shame around the block.)
10. Muse laughs, as if she did that on purpose.
11. Add "r" to document.
12. Sigh loudly. Resubmit.

Anyway, having written at least 4,500 words and editing 500 of them out, I feel good about finally passing King's "On Writing" rule of thumb about 2nd draft = first draft - 10%. So, yay me.

*There were several copyediting read-throughs in addition to what's described above, but nobody finds copyediting funny. Well, except maybe my wife. I'm sure when she reads it she'll laugh at all the its/it's I missed. Hm, probably should have had her read it before I submitted...

Schant's picture
Schant July 30, 2012 - 11:49am

Hi all! Any word from anyone on how late we can submit today? What time?

Schant's picture
Schant July 30, 2012 - 11:49am

Hi all! Any word from anyone on how late we can submit today? What time?

sean of the dead's picture
sean of the dead from Madisonville, KY is reading Peckerwood, by Jed Ayres July 30, 2012 - 2:33pm

Holy last minute Batman!

I was proud, a couple of days ago, to be able to say I had read every story that got posted in this challenge.  I certainly don't have the time to review every one, but I had been keeping up.  Until now...

40 new stories in the last 3 days...

I hope all the new folks are also taking some time to read some of the older stories that have been sitting around.  I'm not saying this to get new reviews for my story, and I'm not in any way "employed" by this website.  There are just some really good ones that you can find by going to around page 3 or 4 and working your way backwards.  I don't want to come across biased and name names (Crystal, Howl, The Pickwick Horror, Driving After Dark, Hatch, A Presidential Stroll, The Tupperware Party, Itch, The Second Plague, Anchorstone, the list goes on and on...), but there's a lot of good stuff out there that deserves to be read, if not reviewed and given thumbs up.

I'm just saying, I've had as much fund reading other stories as I did writing my own.