postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words November 3, 2011 - 8:33am

I'm a big fan of stories of all sorts. Asking for any quotes about the role of stories that you may have encountered. I've got one to start, and will add more once I get home. Cheers.

“Everything is held together with stories. That is all that is holding us together, stories and compassion.”
― Barry Lopez

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 3, 2011 - 12:36pm

I realize that if the poems are bad
they are supposed to be bad and if they are good
they are likewise supposed to be - although there is a minor
fight to be fought
-Charles Bukowski

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 3, 2011 - 12:38pm

"If you don't care for obscenity, you don't care for the truth"
- Tim O'Brien

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters November 3, 2011 - 12:45pm

Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald

simon morris's picture
simon morris from Originally, Philadelphia, PA; presently Miami Beach, FL is reading This Body of Death, by Elizabeth George November 3, 2011 - 1:39pm

Nonfiction is facts, well presented, well researched and well written. You can use every trick of the fiction writer except the word s'posin'.

Fiction is truths, using supposition in the form of not real people in places where those particular events never occured to lead the reader to discoveries about herself, the world around her, and the universe within which that world is contained.

In the end, there is little difference between Hamlet and Richard Nixon except Sir Laurence Olivier never performed as Nixon.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Some believe that the difference between attaining publication and being rejected is a matter of luck. I will believe that only if you accept that luck is the residue of design.

I heard you have to pay a dollar a piece to use the words of others, so all the above are my own words except the partial quote, "...luck is the residue of design." That can be attributed to the late Branch Rickey, General Manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers. He made that statement when he was asked by a reporter why the team always seemed to have good luck and won games that looked lost. I believe that the writing situation is analagous.

postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words November 3, 2011 - 4:50pm

"I will tell you something about stories,
[he said]
They aren’t just entertainment.
Don’t be fooled.
They are all we have, you see,
all we have to fight off
illness and death.
You don’t have anything
if you don’t have the stories.
Their evil is mighty
but it can’t stand up to our stories.
So they try to destroy the stories
let the stories be confused or forgotten.
They would like that
They would be happy
Because we would be defenseless then."

- Leslie Marmon Silko, Ceremony

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters November 3, 2011 - 5:05pm

@ bryanhowie - I LOVE Tim O'Brien.  That's from The Things They Carried, right?

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 3, 2011 - 6:36pm

Yeah.  From "How to tell a true war story" in The Things They Carried.

Gotta love a short story that has better advice about writing than some entire books about writing.

avery of the dead's picture
avery of the dead from Kentucky is reading Cipher Sisters November 3, 2011 - 6:57pm

I have the book and have probably read it a dozen times, and "How to tell a true war story" is my favorite part. I think it is proof that there can be more truth in fiction than in truth.

Or that truth is only perception, and varies by person.    I know when he talks about getting the story just right, so you can understand the final truth as Lemon saw it....I think it is sublime writing.  He transcends the war story.  His writing is beautiful.  It's ugly and beautiful all at once.  He inspires me.

Can you tell I've taken to many college classes?  Sorry.

Nighty Nite's picture
Nighty Nite from NJ is reading Grimscribe: His Lives and Works November 3, 2011 - 7:13pm

Literature should not disappear up its own asshole, so to speak.

- Kurt Vonnegut

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. November 3, 2011 - 8:25pm

Just stumbled on this one:

Jann/

-- I will definitly need speed to get the campaign book done properly & on time -- Nevermind the fucking wisdom of it; just gather all you can & send it ASAP -- with a bill, of course.

-Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing at Rolling Stone

Which goes nicely with

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

-Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Mckay's picture
Mike Mckay is reading God's Ashtray November 4, 2011 - 10:38am

An optimist is a guy that has never had much experience.

- Don Marquis

postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words January 14, 2012 - 7:19am

"I would ask you to remember only this one thing," said Badger. "The stories people tell have a way of taking care of them. If stories come to you, care for them. And learn to give them away where they are needed. Sometimes a person needs a story more than food to stay alive. That is why we put these stories in each other's memory. This is how people care for themselves. One day you will be good story-tellers. Never forget these obligations."

Barry Lopez, Crow and Weasel

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig January 14, 2012 - 10:41am

I'll show my geek with this one, but I love it:

"We're all stories in the end"--Doctor Who

postpomo's picture
postpomo from Canada is reading words words words January 30, 2012 - 9:06pm

"In a fractured age, when cynicism is god, here is a possible heresy: we live by stories, we also live in them. one way or another we are living the stories planted in us early or along the way, or w are also living the stories we planted – knowingly or unknowingly – in ourselves. We live stories that either give our lives meaning or negate it with meaninglessness. If we change the stories we live by, quite possibly we change our lives." --Ben Okri

“The truth about stories is that that’s all we are.” -- Thomas King