wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. December 20, 2011 - 3:06am

@ Arcadia

I'm sure there will end up having to be some kind of judgement based on quality. Clearly the more stories in contention the more this will be the case.

But I guess that is why Danny and Chester are so eager for folks to putting drafts up in the workshop. To ensure that quality is there, right?

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 6:35am

Only 24 stories will be picked so we want a lot of submissions but of course only the best will be chosen. The advantage of the workshop is not just rejecting someone based on a first draft but helping them to sculpt it to be a better story. I did say in the original thread that not all stories are guaranteed to be picked, its an overall vote by everyone. We are assigning disorders so we dont have repeats because then we will have to pick the better of the two stories and some people don't want to feel like they are competing but want to just make their story as good as they can. If there aren't 24 quality stories, we will pick less.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 9:11am

Okay... Seeing all these stories in the workshop has inspired me. Alien, what's the new deadline? Got about 500 words written about a bibliomaniac... Anyone doing that?

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 9:18am

Nobody let Chester borrow their car. I know how it ends.

Other than that the time difference has left me reading far too many posts to comment on, but I only saw one submission linked here--would it be a terrible request to ask people to link their Psychosis submissions here so I could access them easily? I'm on a time crunch having family obligations and what not, but I'd rather focus my "reviewing time" on Psychosis submissions.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 9:24am

@Renee: I have a copy of your story ready for review. I see you've got a ton of reviews, would you like another one?

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 20, 2011 - 9:25am

I think he said Jan 10th for the rough

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 9:27am

Cool... Thanks Hitch. I was originally going to do Cotards, but man, I had a hard time with it. My head just wasn't in the right place for it. I'm excited to see where you take it. I had an opening scene - my MC fills a bathtub full of gasoline, gets in and sets herself on fire. I couldn't get past that, though.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch December 20, 2011 - 9:27am

Just my two cents: since I expressed concern with star inflation, I would like to say that we should try to design a system by which voting is objective. Is that in any way possible? Is it possible, for instance, to ask Vig if he'd weigh in on the choices? Or someone else? If it's just friends voting for friends then it will be a popularity contest. I'm not trying to be a Grinch about it either, just hoping for the best possible anthology, whether I make it in or not.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 20, 2011 - 9:35am

@R.Moon said: "my MC fills a bathtub full of gasoline, gets in and sets herself on fire. I couldn't get past that, though."

were you planning to start at the end or was that your beggining? My character just wants her left arm and leg gone. They aren't hers afterall. add a splash, just a splash, of capgras, immortality, needles in her vagina, missing organs, a conspiracy to kill her children, a home full of loving family members and a butchers cleaver and VIOLA! I do love the bathtub full of gasoline though

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 9:35am

That was my beginning scene, which was essentially the end. I always try for a memorable hook. I may still use it in the new story, though. I was trying to stay away from capgras and fregoli, just sticking with cotards. My character, she thought she was dead and to prove to herself she was alive she was also a cutter. But, seeing everyone alive began to wear on her and to really feel alive, the only way she knew how, she sets herself on fire. The idea came from a story I was told once about a woman who was mentally ill. One night she went to the garage, doused herself in gas then lit herself up. Hadn't been taking her medicine.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 9:36am

@R. Moon--as much as they have all helped and I look forward to input, I think I might get into the "overwhelming" stage if I got any more, and I am sure we'll see other subs that need reviewing, so I thank you for the thought, but it's probably not necessary.

@Liana--I sort of agree, but I also thought that perhaps Danny, being the editor would get final say, anyway? I wasn't sure how the voting would go, since it seems most submissions are getting between 4-5 stars across the board.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 20, 2011 - 9:46am

Yeah, I've read every case study I could find in the online journals of med/psych and Cotard's Delusion is really fascinating. There are so many places to go with it. The reason I am adding just a dash of Capgrass (and really it is only alluded to) is that Capgras and Cotards affect the same region of the brain the fusiform face area and in a small number of cases Cotards patients actually experience a touch of that as well. Externalizing as well as internalizing the delusion as it were. Sorry, haha, like i said, fascinating.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 9:41am

@Renee: No problem. I get you on the revision.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 9:43am

I will thank you in advance, then.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 10:12am

Thank you, Hetch for researching so much. That's awesome.

@Moon--the new deadline is Jan. 10th but if you want to submit a draft sooner even better, I have the next 3 weeks off from school.

@Liana--Honestly, the final vote will come down to me, Moon and Chester ala American Idol style except no Paula Abdul because we don't need her unless we get a fourth female judge. Let's say Renee and then if we have a deadlock, we create a story poll lol I don't pick favorites, to me it's about the anthology and nothing else. I love you all equally, you are all my children. Just don't eat the apples out of the tree or else.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 10:19am

Cool... Is that final draft or rough draft deadline? Don't really matter, I'll have a rough something by Christmas.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 10:27am

Rough, the final is now February.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 10:34am

Okay, cool

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. December 20, 2011 - 11:11am

Another Lost Day is my actual submission.  The "blue" one was something I wrote that kind of fit the idea and I thought might make a good 'break' between such serious, dark stories.  I love the one or two-page stories in an anthology.  I'd love an anthology of a long piece and a short peice by each author - just to show different styles mixed together and break up the rhythm.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. December 20, 2011 - 11:24am

@ bryan.

Definitely. It's nice when a collection gives you a shot of flash after you've sipped your pint of longer story.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 11:28am

It takes more than an act of God (or Danny) to make me feel shame when naked.

forgotmypseudo's picture
forgotmypseudo from Connecticut is reading Tea Leaves December 20, 2011 - 12:28pm

Hey All,  Quick Check-In

@Chester: I haven't joined the workshop yet, but will when my story is "done" or drafted. I won't ask for a pass but I'd loan you my car.  I have one on the fritz, if you could borrow it and get it stolen for me down there in Charleston, that'd be most excellent.  Not sure how you'd get out of Carolina but you only mentione getting there, not getting out.  :)

for everyone who has already finished and posted drafts, I'm completely jealous.  I can't start reviewing though until I get farther on mine or I'll end up doing what I did at the cult, reviewing and never posting outside the intensives.  had a lot of points though!  so, I'll get to all the joining but not till I am mildly confident that I won't procrastinate all the way home......

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club December 20, 2011 - 12:32pm

I'm hoping to have my first draft up by tonight... and 'tonight' probably means around 4am Pacific time.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 20, 2011 - 12:39pm

@Renee: Meow-za, Meow-za, Meow-za.

Liana said:

Just my two cents: since I expressed concern with star inflation, I would like to say that we should try to design a system by which voting is objective. Is that in any way possible? Is it possible, for instance, to ask Vig if he'd weigh in on the choices? Or someone else? If it's just friends voting for friends then it will be a popularity contest. I'm not trying to be a Grinch about it either, just hoping for the best possible anthology, whether I make it in or not.

I spoke with Mark Vanderpool concerning that very thing. At the moment he is pretty slammed with other projects as well as the execution of The Cult Anthology. However, he offered to help in any way possible, and to keep him posted as things progress. Danny, R. Moon and myself have in no way ruled out the possibility of bringing in a high profile editor. But we are not even going to consider that until some time in 2012.

We have to get the stories as close as we can ourselves first. Then they will go through another gauntlet. This is how it works. Write and rewrite. If you are really ambitious and curious to hear how Anthologies are constructed and the sweat involved, listen to this Podcast by the Booked Boys:

Booked Podcast interview with Warmed and Bound editor Pela Via

I suggest we all just keep doing what we are doing. Research, write and review. Research, write and review. And repeat. To borrow an atticism from Mr. Zendercool: Put legs on these snakes. You can't crack your eggs before they're gathered. Do your best and the least you can expect is to grow as a writer and build lasting, invaluable relationships with all of these other writers. Interact. Learn from each other.

Intereact.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 12:38pm

@Raelyn--that's perfect for me, it will be something like midday here. I look forward to reading it.

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 20, 2011 - 1:36pm

Hey, I just saw that there is an achievement for being included in an anthology!

I'm gonna work twice as hard now. Is that sick or what...

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club December 20, 2011 - 1:39pm

I'm not sure that achievement applies to this anthology.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 1:51pm

I think the achievement is for a LitReactor anthology. This one, it's a separate anthology, started by everyone's favortie alien, uh... Alien...

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 1:55pm

Looking forward to it Raelyn... I gotta say, the women have really set a standard here. All of your stories have been stellar. Give it up for the ladies! *Claps, cheers, claps, cheers*

.'s picture
. December 20, 2011 - 1:56pm

It's going to be a long time before there is a Litreactor anthology. It is a pain to edit anthologies and they are still working on the Cult anthology.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 2:21pm

This is the unofficial litreactor antho. Maybe we can get kirk to make us straightjacket icons or something lol

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 2:22pm

straightjacket icons or something lol

- Perfect...

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 2:25pm

If we can get this thing published by a decent company, I would love to do another one. I already have ideas lol I was thinking medical anomalies but only real ones. Thats for for 2013 though. Hehe

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 2:30pm

@Danny--As a former rabid fan of Robin Cook (is that okay to admit?) that idea makes me tingle.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 2:30pm

I was tossing around the idea of doing a noir anthology. Noir/neo-noir. Really anything crime.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies December 20, 2011 - 2:44pm

well you've certainly got MY attention, R.Moon ^

Hetch Litman's picture
Hetch Litman from Ojai, Ca. is reading Wise Blood by Flannery OConnor December 20, 2011 - 2:49pm

Oh, well in that case I'll go back to only trying half as hard on this one.

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 2:49pm

Sweet... Thanks Richard. I've got someone else interested as well. I'll probably wait until this one is in the hole before setting up another one.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 2:54pm

Also an anthology about schizophrenic squirrels. Who is with me? ...okay, they can't all be winners.

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch December 20, 2011 - 2:55pm

That sounds cool! I wasn't trying to express skepticism, just wanted to make sure all bases are covered and it's something decent that people would buy. I'm fine with Litreactor Idol, and if a godly authority intervenes ex Machina later, so much the better.

Still planning to read the stories and help with comments, little by little.

Raelyn's picture
Raelyn from California is reading The Liars' Club December 20, 2011 - 2:55pm

Renee, I'm in the Robin Cook fanclub. Chromosome 6 has a special place in my heart.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 2:56pm

My squirrel story will be called, "If these nuts could talk". Hahahahah

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 3:02pm

@Liana--I can be Simon Cowell if you want. Here are a few zingers I could say:

"I've seen better writing on the inside of bathroom stalls."
"Now I know why Hemingway blew his brains out."
"If you are going to verbally shit on me, don't forget to wipe your mouth."

Then Renee as Paula would say, "Honey, you are like a great big beam of shiny light that encompasses the universe and shines. Oh yeah and the story was good too."

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 3:06pm

I'll be Randy and everytime I say something, it'll start or end with 'Dawg.'

Liana's picture
Liana from Romania and Texas is reading Naked Lunch December 20, 2011 - 3:07pm

Can I cry on stage and thank my parents? Also, can I quit my waitress job yet?

R.Moon's picture
R.Moon from The City of Champions is reading The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion; Story Structure Architect by Victoria Lynn Schimdt PH.D; Creating Characters by the editors of Writer's Digest December 20, 2011 - 3:09pm

Cry and thank to your heart's desire cause you're going to LitReactor-Wood!

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. December 20, 2011 - 3:13pm

I think this thread is going to defeat typewriters thread, we are growing.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz December 20, 2011 - 4:06pm

That is like comparing Skyrim to Connect.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator
ReneeAPickup from Southern California is reading Wanderers by Chuck Wendig December 20, 2011 - 4:46pm

I'm only volunteering to be Paula if I get whatever-the-fuck she was on when she did her short lived reality show (God, I am assuming it was short lived, I only saw one episode), on that shit, everything is a brilliant light that does whatever and encompassed mghrrrmmmpppphhh.

ReneeAPickup's picture
Class Facilitator

Shit! Where is my assistant to wipe the drool off my chin?