Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 24, 2012 - 9:30pm

I've just realised: poetry is the literary equivalent of a guitar player's noodling!

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 24, 2012 - 9:49pm

Pee Stew

ammonia and cellophane,
brain food and tryptophan,
in like a bullet,
out like a fad.
tastes right,
late night,

Good Friday.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 24, 2012 - 10:29pm

That's absurd. I won't argue because I know you can't possibly be serious.

newName's picture
newName October 25, 2012 - 1:44pm

Why does this sound so, SO dirty to me?

Oh, wait...because it's me.  o.O

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 25, 2012 - 2:46pm

It's actually more like jazz guitar; we're the ones really noodling by comparison:)

pendragon's picture
pendragon from Seoul is reading Memories October 26, 2012 - 10:19am

Poetry is about capturing single moments caught in time. If all of time were a snowglobe, each little flake would be a life drifting thru time & space. What a poem does is captures a snowflake drifting through the air, stops it, examines it, & breathes thru it. That moment can be only an emotion or a kiss, but it becomes isolated in poetics & made larger. Fuller.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 27, 2012 - 7:46pm

Final Run Bump.

Four more days before I post the poll. If no more submissions come in by Tuesday I may post it earlier so voting can commence well before WAR starts. Regardless, a new prompt will be issued on November 1st

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 27, 2012 - 9:19pm

I just watched the Led Zeppelin film; poetry is totally noodling, J.Y. Or are you saying Jimmy Page isn't an artist?

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 28, 2012 - 12:03am

Isn't "noodling" also a term for catching catfish with your bare hands, or am I confusing that with something else?

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 28, 2012 - 12:13am

Noodle=limp and stringy.

Noodling=trying to stick it with whiskey-dick

Right?

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 28, 2012 - 1:03am

Argh, don't you kids listen to the rock and roll. Noodling is when a guitar player just fucks around, like an unplanned, off-the-cuff guitar solo, sometimes in the middle of a song, sometimes between songs. Hendrix noodled, Page did it, and the other night Billy Corgan did it, too. It's not really playing anything, just musical rambling that can be interpreted any way. Like poetry.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 28, 2012 - 1:05am

And yeah I think I heard something about giant catfish and hill folk, too. I choose to pretend it doesn't exist.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 28, 2012 - 4:27am

Reading back over this thread there are five or six really good entries that could compete for my vote. A nice turnout, and the poll is gonna be very interesting.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 28, 2012 - 10:14am

Emme --- I like LedZep. And if you've listened to them much you know Page does more than noodle. Sure he has his moments where he's just fucking around, but he also plays some perfectly constructed, simple (often deceptively simple) and elegant lines. To think of him as being predominantly or primarily a noodler is unrealistic; likewise poetry.

Stacy Kear's picture
Stacy Kear from Bucyrus, Ohio lives in New Jersey is reading The Art of War October 28, 2012 - 1:12pm

My poem Seamstress from this thread is going to be in Downer Magazine Nov 2, pretty cool.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 28, 2012 - 1:30pm

@J.Y. No, he does more than noodle, but he does noodle (particularly live). Sometimes it's obnoxious, sometimes it's clever and gorgeous. Like poetry. At least, that is what poetry is for me. I don't take it seriously, it's just a way to defrag my brain when I'm tired of writing other stuff. I don't think; I just put whatever comes up down, whether or not it makes sense, because I'm going with the mood or whatever. Thus, noodling.

I just thought it was a funny observation, didn't mean to inflame anyone's sensitivities.

@Stacy Congratulations, mama! It's a lovely piece with wonderful imagery.

Stacy Kear's picture
Stacy Kear from Bucyrus, Ohio lives in New Jersey is reading The Art of War October 28, 2012 - 2:13pm

La Emma, J.Y. is easy to inflame. One could say he is flaming.

and thanks. :)

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On October 28, 2012 - 2:23pm

Congrats Stacy! I loved your poem.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. October 28, 2012 - 2:50pm

Kudos!

I want the poll already! Ha.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 28, 2012 - 5:42pm

I thought I was being rather cool-headed and casual. No offense on this end until all this talk of my inflammation. You mean like a rash or some hemorrhoids, right? Not actual flames. I mean I'm irritable, but I wouldn't say combustible. Although I did rage out on my computer game a couple times today. But Stacy said flaming. Flaming? C'mon.

Stacy Kear's picture
Stacy Kear from Bucyrus, Ohio lives in New Jersey is reading The Art of War October 28, 2012 - 7:20pm

@ Haha  You are fun

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like October 29, 2012 - 2:48pm

I don't want my friend to give me his money

I don't want my life to end on a gurney

I don't want to trade my two cents for a lie

I just want to know there are fish left to fry

Covewriter's picture
Covewriter from Nashville, Tennessee is reading & Sons October 29, 2012 - 7:14pm

Jonathan helped me edit my entry since I said I had not written poetry before. I don' t know if the edited version qualifies to be in the voting since he made the suggestions, but I thought it would be good to post the new version here. The earlier version is higher up in the threade. You can see how much better it is, or at least that's what I think.

Guilt

A bullet ends it,
Your spirit resides
I toss in sweat-soaked linen.

Your spirit reminds
I tore your heart
before the bullet hit

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 30, 2012 - 10:40am

I'll have October's poll up somethime between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. central time this evening. If anyone want's to get a last entry in before the deadline feel free. Just make sure it sucks because I'm having a hard enough time choosing the finalists as it is. But if you want to be a butt and write a badass poem have it in by 5:00 p.m. central to be considered for the poll.

Jonathan

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 30, 2012 - 8:01pm

October's Poll is up.

Thank you to everyone who participated! It was a really hard choice to narrow it down to 5. Took me all evening actually. Hope everyone participates again next month. Also, congrats to the finalists. Everyone pay them gratitude by voting for your favorite. Tell your friends about it too! I'd love to have a longer Poll next month, since it will cover a full month. New Prompt will be issued tomorrow or thursday.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 1, 2012 - 6:41pm

NOVEMBER'S PLIGHT PROMPT:

In the spirit of WAR this month’s prompt will be the acronym W.A.R.

What I want for the competition this month is a three line poem. First line starts with a W. the second with an A. and the third with an R.

Use as many words as you want in each line of the poem. It does not have to be a haiku but can be if you like.

One example:
Walk in the dark
After
Running from the sun.

Have fun guys. Enter as many as you like. I will put up one in the poll from each submitter (if I have ten or less submitters) (if all 64 war contestants submit then I'll put 20 in the poll) at the end of the month. Enjoy the Plight and Kill in WAR.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland October 31, 2012 - 10:42pm

Wage

angry

revenge.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson October 31, 2012 - 11:36pm

We

All die

Running from something.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin November 1, 2012 - 2:58am

^ Emme, I really like that :)

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like November 1, 2012 - 7:05am

Wicked as the Way we walk, Widdershins and Wasted

As the Arrows Aiming after all the Angry Asking

Repay the Ruined Riskers, Raping Roil in the River

Devon Robbins's picture
Devon Robbins from Utah is reading The Least Of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones November 1, 2012 - 3:35pm

^ What the fuck just happened to me?

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. November 1, 2012 - 6:55pm

At Your Last

When the mountains roll hot
and flow long to drown you
remember who fired first

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 1, 2012 - 5:34pm

^Great one!

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. November 1, 2012 - 6:56pm

Cheers buddy. I edited it slightly because the timing was off.

I am having fun with this thread so far. Both prompts have gotten me to have a go. Now, I know sweet nothing about the 'official rules' of poetry. For me though, writing poems and writing microfiction/flash requires much the same skill-set.

iamsnaggletooth's picture
iamsnaggletooth November 1, 2012 - 6:56pm

Wasted

adolescence.

Rebel.

Dino Parenti's picture
Dino Parenti from Los Angeles is reading Everything He Gets His Hands On November 2, 2012 - 6:19am

Wasting

Away our lifetime

Revenue potential

iamsnaggletooth's picture
iamsnaggletooth November 3, 2012 - 7:29am

Women

against

rape.

Boone Spaulding's picture
Boone Spaulding from Coldwater, Michigan, U.S.A. is reading Solarcide Presents: Nova Parade November 3, 2012 - 8:29am

Writing from a prompt

As the wintry winds buffet

'Round my warm retreat

Courtney's picture
Courtney from the Midwest is reading Monkey: A Journey to the West and a thousand college textbooks November 3, 2012 - 1:56pm

Wet, fresh blood

against the sting of open wounds, both from

recoil

pendragon's picture
pendragon from Seoul is reading Memories November 3, 2012 - 2:16pm

wake alone--

always without you:

rain          -- dreamt sun

pendragon's picture
pendragon from Seoul is reading Memories November 3, 2012 - 10:10pm

worlds shatter--

are dreams but lost love ?

rest: leaves shade

iamsnaggletooth's picture
iamsnaggletooth November 4, 2012 - 11:29am

We scream like children

aged two to six. We fuck on

roadsides. You make me sick.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 4, 2012 - 12:17pm

^ ;)

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 6, 2012 - 8:58am

These are great so far guys. If you get a breather between battles be sure to jot something down in here.

Emma C's picture
Class Facilitator
Emma C from Los Angeles is reading Black Spire by Delilah Dawson November 6, 2012 - 11:39am

Mine, and J.Y.'s are my favourites so far.

MadPoet's picture
MadPoet from Australia currently living in Seattle is reading at least three books at any given time. November 8, 2012 - 11:24am

Whispers of a heart's broken
Arryhthmic score:
Rhapsody of You.

Jonathan Riley's picture
Jonathan Riley from Memphis, Tennessee is reading Flashover by Gordon Highland November 8, 2012 - 11:29am

Right on M.P. I like that.

Frank Chapel's picture
Frank Chapel from California is reading Thomas Ligotti's works November 8, 2012 - 8:51pm

We play god

And we might just be

Revisiting our own ashes

MadPoet's picture
MadPoet from Australia currently living in Seattle is reading at least three books at any given time. November 8, 2012 - 9:48pm

Thanks :)

They're all so great.   Frank, I really like that one.

newName's picture
newName November 10, 2012 - 12:28pm

Okay, so I totally broke the "three line poem" rule, but I still stuck with the letters. If that's not cool, then I suppose you could just use them as three seperate poems (individually they'd be titled by their first words). I know, I know...I just couldn't help but submit this.

"Contemplation"

When all is quiet--
Almost silent--
Remain all our mistakes,

While new babes cry,
As old men die,
Renew our heartfelt aches,

What, to us, does our purpose bind
Amidst immortal tide of time
Reviewing thus, my spirit quakes.