Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 10, 2012 - 8:24pm

congratz fritz! will check it out.

@chestie i'm going on the 20th. it'll be my first time.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 8:26pm

Cool Fritzster. Remind us on 4/16 just in case. Good job.

@Nikkles: I will PM you. I might be able to do that.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 11, 2012 - 3:23am

Glad you found a nice home for the Dreadlocks story Chester (jealous much, Martin? hahaha) and I will be looking out for that for sure, can't wait to see how you have revised it.

I have dibs on the next story you write that is as sexy as that one. Something from Bradley and Garretts workshop maybe? Could be good eatings.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 11, 2012 - 12:27pm

Got a domain other than my name today: slityourwristsmagazine.com

Books for review in April so far (two I've read, but need to do a write up):

• Praise of Motherhood
  • Transubstantiate
  • Stranger Will

Some interesting turn of events today, I've been invited to cover a cd release party in Springfield, MO for a rockabilly punk band called Saint Dallas & The Sinners. (Press pass alongside local news and everything!)

This sparked another idea for the site I'm calling Midwest NOISE that will help gather funding for the site and add to my journalism resume. I'll be available for bands and venues to hire to cover their concerts and events in parts of the Four-State area, starting with Springfield and Joplin, later after some transportation problems are solved going as far as St. Louis and Oklahoma City, maybe even north as far as Chicago.

I still want to be an author and all that, but damn. Maybe I was born to be a rockstar journalist? Haha.

Nathan's picture
Nathan from Louisiana (South of New Orleans) is reading Re-reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, The Bone Weaver's Orchard by Sarah Read April 11, 2012 - 7:04pm

We just went live with a fantastically insightful interview with Stephen Graham Jones at Solarcide. There are many good reasons why the author and professor is the Michael Jordan of fiction, and you can read all about those reasons and more right Here.

Be sure to also check out his latest novel, Zombie-Bake Off, which is available both digitally and in print

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 12, 2012 - 2:23am

The Michael Jordan of Fiction.

Riddle: I am the Michael Jordan of the Beach, won't you try my snack treat.

-Who am I?

Very cool Nathan.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 12, 2012 - 8:30am

That interview is some good stuffs. Probably the best Solarcide interview yet.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 12, 2012 - 8:41am

Damn, Solarcide is doing some good work.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 12, 2012 - 8:45am

@chester--sandy duncan.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 12, 2012 - 12:20pm

@Danny: Of course. Damn, no wonder I couldn't get it. I kept picturing a bald black slam dunking seagull.

.'s picture
. April 12, 2012 - 1:01pm

Oh tits! Solarcide is kicking ass constantly.

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself April 12, 2012 - 2:57pm

(Nathan) Solarcide and Laurence, you are doing great work. Thanks for reading Stranger Will, Laurence. I hope you like it. But more-so, I hope you are honest with your review. I can take it.

Fylh's picture
Fylh from from from is reading is from is reading is reading is reading reading is reading April 12, 2012 - 4:47pm
Sean Liddle's picture
Sean Liddle from Kingston Ontario is reading Oddly, the Hobbit (again) April 12, 2012 - 5:53pm

Official Whoring Thread.. Most Excellent.  I'm putting on my fishnets and hiking up my skirt:

Thats my damn book.  Its a romantic comedy.  Its on Kindle.  Its called Losing Jules.

Love you long time..

s

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 13, 2012 - 4:37am

I redesigned one of Caleb's covers yesterday, it is live on his site here.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 13, 2012 - 7:21am

Laurance, Caleb can take it but I can take it deep LOL

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 15, 2012 - 12:44am

Okay, so apparently the blind submission to a million different literary journals method does work!!!  One weekend I went crazy and submishmashed all my stuff to over 100 literary journals, various stories to test the theory that eventually someone will bite if you cast out enough lines.  So far, "Experimental Life", "King Me" and now my other story, "The Hospital for Dying Gods" have been published.  Don't be afraid to submishmash people.  LIke I told a friend the other day, wanna find journals looking for stories?  Google "submishmash", almost every literary journal is using this program now to accept submissions and you will get a shit load of hits.  Plus submishmash keeps track of all your subs for you to check on their status at any time.  Anyway, here is my acceptance letter below!  Weeee!

Dear Daniel Gonzales,

Thank you for submitting to Citizens for Decent Literature Print. We have decided to accept and publish "The Hospital for Dying Gods". You will receive your contributor copy to the address provided after April 15th. Thank you very much and I hope you will send more work soon, perhaps for the online edition.

Best,
The Literary Underground

Fylh's picture
Fylh from from from is reading is from is reading is reading is reading reading is reading April 14, 2012 - 2:28pm

Congrats!

I recommend you remove the editor's name from your post, though.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 14, 2012 - 2:38pm

Got a list of who you submitted to?  How do you submishmash to a lot of people at once (or was it all one at a time)?

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 14, 2012 - 4:51pm

There are several new features on SYWzine, one including some poetry from A.B. Riddle who is soon to be published through Perfect Edge Books with her novel The Atheist's Prayer

There is also my interview with LitReactor's own Richard Thomas.

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Coin Locker Babies April 14, 2012 - 4:55pm

Had a story published today, friends. I'm glad you're all such nice and unspiteful human beings.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your undying respect!

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 14, 2012 - 5:14pm

Laurance beat me over here but WTH

Laurance Kitts interviews me over at SYWM. Might be some new stuff in here, news and other goodies.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 14, 2012 - 5:22pm

@Conley

Congrats!

@Richard

I work fast!

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 15, 2012 - 12:54am

Got a list of who you submitted to?  How do you submishmash to a lot of people at once (or was it all one at a time)?

Well, Howie I can't do all the work for you. LOL.  Dude, just google it. Google "submishmash" and a crapload of journals will come up. Then use the cut and paste method. Have a cover letter up and just paste it into the box and then upload your story. I got through 100 submissions in like three hours. You just have to be really methodical. Think about flowers and stabbing people.

Congrats, Conley! Glad you decided to stick around. See, I can be nice. I don't call people's work "melodramatic and sloppy" just because I lost a silly contest. Have a great day! ;)

.'s picture
. April 15, 2012 - 4:18am

Oh you guys and your celebrity status.

@Danny Can you search for lit journals to submit to through submishmash? I have to go through duotrope and a few of them use it instead of e-mail but that is all I have experienced it.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 15, 2012 - 8:36am

@Dakota

When a journal or magazine makes a submishmash account it creates a whole other url, for instance mine looks like: slityourwristsmagazine.submishmash.com, so when you google submishmash, every journal or magazine using it comes up after the actual business website "submittable".

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 15, 2012 - 9:00am

Well, Howie I can't do all the work for you.

It's totally possible for you to do all the work for me.  After you do all the submitting, I need you to change my oil, pick me up some chinese food, sweep the kitchen floor, and carry me to the couch.  I've got some hockey to watch.  Could you be a dear and turn on the TV for me?

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 15, 2012 - 9:05am

Congratz Conley:-)

Nathan's picture
Nathan from Louisiana (South of New Orleans) is reading Re-reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, The Bone Weaver's Orchard by Sarah Read April 15, 2012 - 9:22am

A serious and big congratulations to all of you. Looks like you're all doing some damage and it's great see.

I have some publishing news of my own. My story, “Life and Death and Laughing and Stopping,” which has been in need of a new home, is being published in the next issue of SPLIT Quarterly. These guys run a really cool magazine and publish some great photography, essays and poetry as well.

SPLIT #6, which features my story, will go live this week sometime, but I have the link to my story now if anyone wants to check it out: http://splitquarterly.com/2012/life-and-death-and-laughing-and-stopping/

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 15, 2012 - 10:15am

Okay, that's how it's done.   I thought maybe Alien had made a list of all of the submishmash places from duotrope.  This tells me what I was wondering.  Thanks.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 15, 2012 - 1:32pm

Submishmash (now called submittable.com) is indeed used by a lot of journals, magazines, and websites. but not all. of the 67 submissions i have out, 13 are by mail, 24 were by a submission manager (one unique to the journal, on THEIR website), 10 by email, and 30 by submishmash. just FYI.

.'s picture
. April 15, 2012 - 4:05pm

I have trouble finding a lot of submishmash journals. I've found a few by searching "lit mag/journal submishmash."

Besides that, I'm not on the same page. I don't get too many results unless I do that or dig through duotrope and get lucky. I just find it easier than e-mail.

In other news, I finally made a cover letter so that should help my chances at submission acceptances. (thanks to Richard for his storyville column on cover letters.)

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 15, 2012 - 5:50pm

^ sure thing. my advise is don't search that way. search at Duotrope.com, and then you can send out the stories based on whatever medium they want: mail, email, submission manager, or submishmash.

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself April 15, 2012 - 7:45pm

Try this (Google Powers Activate)

1. Change your search settings to give you 100 results (instead of the default 10)
  2. Search for the following on Google, including quotes: "/submit" site:submishmash.com
  3. Copy the results and past into an Excel file

Now you've got a handy list of the first 100 results.

Hell, here's a downloadable file of the first 100 results. Have fun.

But keep in mind that you should still be submitting to places that seem most appropriate for your work. Think about the editor who has to wade through all those stories.

.'s picture
. April 15, 2012 - 7:53pm

Thanks guys! Very helpful! I owe you all one.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 15, 2012 - 8:57pm

Look at Caleb, always taking the extra mile. Thanks.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 15, 2012 - 9:05pm

Thx Caleb!

Fritz's picture
Fritz April 16, 2012 - 5:39am

Hey peeps. Check out infectiveink.com. I got one of my older stories published there. Goes to show you - you never know

Utah's picture
Moderator
Utah from Fort Worth, TX is reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry April 16, 2012 - 6:56am

As long as Fritz is whoring himself out I just thought all of you should know:  he also has a sweet ass.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 17, 2012 - 12:25pm

My new Storyville column is now live. It's all about how to reveal character.

Nathan's picture
Nathan from Louisiana (South of New Orleans) is reading Re-reading The Rust Maidens by Gwendolyn Kiste, The Bone Weaver's Orchard by Sarah Read April 17, 2012 - 5:05pm

A quick update on my story at SPLIT Quarterly: Issue #6 is now live, which is their “SPANK” themed issue and features my story “Life and Death and Laughing and Stopping,” as the fiction selection.

SPLIT6 also features a poem from Arlene Kim, who was named as one of Poets & Writers 2012 debut poets, and photography from Eleanor Bennett, an award winning photographer having won first place with National Geographic among many others.

Check it out here: http://splitquarterly.com/archives/issue-06/

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 17, 2012 - 1:20pm

Look, I made the cover! Looks like Chicago's own Curbside Splendor #3 is now up for ordering. My story "Divining" is in here. It involves tarot cards and bad women.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 17, 2012 - 1:38pm

nice combo

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 17, 2012 - 2:34pm

Richard, I really enjoy your Storyville articles.  This one did not disappoint.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 17, 2012 - 4:45pm

thanks, howie. that reminds me, i need to write the next one!

Bob Pastorella's picture
Bob Pastorella from Groves, Texas is reading murder books trying to stay hip, I'm thinking of you, and you're out there so Say your prayers, Say your prayers, Say your prayers April 24, 2012 - 9:54pm

A little whoring for my website Obscuradrome. My latest WriterDrome column is live, concerning dialogue. Check it out at the link below:

That's What She Said.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 21, 2012 - 12:58pm

Another special guest interview for April, this time with jazz-handed bizarro short story author, Tony Rauch.

Tony writes very strange stuff. His last two collections were released by notable bizarro publishers, Eraserhead Press. He chats to Solarcide about his writing, and gives a teaser for his newest, upcoming collection.

You can read more here.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 23, 2012 - 8:26am

www.talcottnotch.net/

Well, it's official. I have an agent. I have signed with Paula Munier at Talcott Notch Literary Agency and we will be shopping my second novel, the neo-noir, transgressive thriller, Disintegration. Paula has over twenty years of experience in the industry, and I'm thrilled to be working with her. She gets my work, is excited about it, and together we're going to sell this book to the best press we can find. Wish me luck! And thanks for all of your support.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 23, 2012 - 8:44am

Fucking aye. Great news there Richard. Congrats. I can't wait to read Disintegration.

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 23, 2012 - 8:47am

That is fucking awesome.