Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 4, 2012 - 1:27pm

okay, so i lied, i'm posting this before it actually goes live. i'm just so freakin excited! anyhow Succubus in the Attic has just been placed in Phantasmagorium for their new weekly story section. Here's a few of the nice things the weekly story editor, Edward Morris, had to say:

"I expect, when reading your work, to get about half a page in and have the fourth wall, the ceiling, the floor, just about everything, ripped away, before much of the story even starts, and you're hanging in thin air being borne aloft by the Judgement Trump of this incredible backstory that comes back later and does a tapdance number a page from the end. This one did not disappoint in that sense. There are rules and steps to this kind of stuff, and it's a different pair of lenses than my usual, but they are rules and steps you *know*. There is *construction* here. Management Likes :)"

"OK, finished. It is not mere Absurdism, it is High Bizarro. Fits the whole form, lock stock and barrell. Fine representation of the genre for a Weekly story. One line edit and good to go, when it's up."

i don't know about you, but getting feedback like this makes my fucking week. :-)

cheers,

nikki

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 4, 2012 - 1:30pm

Congrats Nikki!!

Also, it's like my third post in 24 hours but here's my interview with Jonny Gibbings.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 4, 2012 - 1:31pm

Thx Laurance! I'll check out that interview after i make cupcakes! :)

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 4, 2012 - 1:32pm

Yes! Mine too actually.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 4, 2012 - 1:35pm

sweet chestie!

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 4, 2012 - 2:01pm

@Laurance: Whores have no post ceiling! Nice interviews bitch.

@Richard: I am so jealous. Can't wait to see that monster. Cool concept man, very cool.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 4, 2012 - 4:43pm

@chester - thanks.

@nikki - how awesome, your story was intense, seems like it found the right audience, which is always cool.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 4, 2012 - 4:55pm

@richard thx! i don't shotgun my submissions or i probably would have loads of rejections. :-) there's really only a handful of places and editors that'd want to put this out to people. i think bizarro is really coming into its own. i'm hoping to be a part of this.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 4, 2012 - 5:26pm

Terror Scribes is out. New anthology from Dog Horn Publishing. My story "Transmogrify" is in here, energy vampires! (Yes, it's a reprint.)

Great job, Adam Lowe and Chris Kelso.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 4, 2012 - 7:11pm

Holy shit, that's a nice cover

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 4, 2012 - 9:05pm

yeah, i love the art.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 4, 2012 - 9:20pm

Yes awesome art.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 4, 2012 - 9:48pm

Ahhhhrt.

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks April 5, 2012 - 8:39am

I guess I can plug my blog here too? I just posted something about the submission process based on my email correspondence with Pulp Modern over the acceptance of my short story "White Light, White Heat". Will probably be of more interest to people just starting out, as it shows you all the "behind the scene" stuff of geting a story accepted under the conditions of a rewrite.

-Bill

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 5, 2012 - 12:20pm

Slightly delayed, but cheers @ Laurance for running the story. Glad you liked it.

@ Richard, I think I remember that one. Will check it out soon. Good stuff.

@ Bill. Nice one. And yes, you should definitely plug your blog posts here.

Ziggy Tausend's picture
Ziggy Tausend April 5, 2012 - 2:51pm
Send your funny bone on an adventure with Captain Tripp Vaguely!

How's that for a tag line? The Court of the Spider Queen is my first short story and my first self-publication via Amazon. A swift, humorous Edisonade through myth and fantasy, my one and only rejection letter described "an amusing and skillful voice" (Tor.com). At a measly 99¢ (the lowest Amazon will allow) and with extras from clandestinetales.com such as background stories, sneak peeks, artwork and a glossary of terms, it is well worth the price. Wait. That makes me sound cheap doesn't it? Well... I am whoring after all. Let me do it big.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 5, 2012 - 3:17pm

Great title Ziggy!

SConley's picture
SConley from Texas is reading Coin Locker Babies April 5, 2012 - 4:02pm

Cool cover too

Damon Teufel's picture
Damon Teufel April 5, 2012 - 7:06pm

Indeed, good cover!

Ziggy Tausend's picture
Ziggy Tausend April 5, 2012 - 7:08pm

Why thank y'all!

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 5, 2012 - 10:25pm

Dear Daniel,

We are please to inform you that King Me will appear in our next edition of the "Fresh Fish" quarterly journal, which will be released on June 1, 2012. We thank you very much for your submission and hope to read more of your work again in the future.

Thanks again.

Sincerely yours,
Walleyed Press

PS.  This was my story I submitted for Round one of WAR.  Thanks for the prompt!

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 5, 2012 - 10:27pm

congratz alien. i'd like to see all of these get placed. that'd be so awesome!

bryanhowie's picture
bryanhowie from FW, ID is reading East of Eden. Steinbeck is FUCKING AMAZING. April 5, 2012 - 10:42pm

Well, now we know the answer to the question: War, huh, good god y'all, what is it good for?

It's good for getting published. Congrats, Mr. 77.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 6, 2012 - 6:39am

congrats, alien! my story from the first round, "On a Bent Nail Head" will be in an upcoming anthology released by Solarcide, and my second round story, "Vision Quest" was picked up by Surreal Grotesque. lots of love here at LR for my work, which means a lot to me. i'm shopping my third round story, can't say the title right now. would be cool if we did a WAR anthology, right? (no, i'm not volunteering)

Americantypo's picture
Americantypo from Philadelphia is reading The Bone Clocks April 6, 2012 - 6:45am

Congrats, and I second Richard's thanks to all the litreactors that are supporting the writers here, and am also thankful to not be in charge of publishing anything because that would make me cry.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 6, 2012 - 8:16am

Haha, Richard, OABNH was from Thunderdome not WAR right?

And yeah, my planned collection for later this year is like the worst kept secret ever. Mainly because I get excited and blab about it heh. I've already contacted a few folks here about it. Once WAR is done I will posting a lot more stuff about the plans here.

Hint, it is going to be awesome. Watch this space.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 6, 2012 - 9:40am

Yeah, that was Thunderdome. Richard is so goddamned proliferate he doesn't know where his stories originated. Like he went out and banged a stray...had a helluva time...and woke up with a beautiful child.

@Ziggy Tausend: Nice effin name.

@Damon Teufel: Nice effin name.

Teufel and Tausend.

Thousands of devils.

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself April 6, 2012 - 1:37pm

@aliensoul77, muchos congrats!

As for my whoring, OWP has put Stranger Will on Amazon for FREE for the next few days, until Sunday (April 8th). Free for all! Please, share this, help stroke my ego by getting this book to the top of the Amazon rankings, even if the list is for Fiction-Terrible-Benches-Abortion [theme and description]. Share on FB and Twitter if you are so inclined. Make people hate you with all the sharing. Kill 'em with sharing!

Get here: http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Will-ebook/dp/B004SPJZ6I/

For those who may not remember, Stranger Will was The Cult book club pick a few months back. People seem to dig it.

Richard's picture
Richard from St. Louis is reading various anthologies April 7, 2012 - 6:05am

ha. sorry, thunderdome and war all blend together in my head. and sorry if i wasn't supposed to talk about that anthology, thought it was public knowledge, my bad.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 7, 2012 - 7:16am

Nah it's all good Richard. The only reason I haven't been making more noise about it myself is that I was waiting for WAR and some things Nathan has been busy with recently to be wrapped up. Gonna be posting plenty about it soon enough.

OABNH rocked, by the way.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 7, 2012 - 7:19am

Damn double posts. My internet connection sucks today.

.'s picture
. April 7, 2012 - 12:47pm

Some how I got booked to do a reading at a field party. Well I guess at least it's a little productive.

Laramore Black's picture
Laramore Black from Joplin, Missouri is reading Mario Kart 8 April 8, 2012 - 2:34pm

Some new stuff on my site:

Tricycle, by Brian Grant Ross

Bled Dry, by Damian Orona

Award winning photographer Eleanor Leonne Bennet

(I've mentioned it on other places, but (ex-Misfit frontman) Michale Graves just confirmed an interview. This little soft launch seems to be going quite well, yes?)

.'s picture
. April 8, 2012 - 2:42pm

Good job dude.

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself April 8, 2012 - 5:57pm

Liked

Caleb J. Ross's picture
Caleb J. Ross from Kansas City, KS is reading on the toilet by himself April 9, 2012 - 6:01pm

Another quick bit-o-whoring. After more than a few (a few+2) questions regarding the paperback availability of my first story chapbook Charactered Pieces, I’ve decided to do something with the distribution rights I’ve been squatting on for a couple years now. Why the squat? Laziness, mostly.

Re-available for your tactile reading pleasure, Charactered Pieces: stories is now back in print. Right now, it’s only at Amazon, but the rest of the internet stores should catch up within the next couple of weeks.

The too-orange book with the weird hermaphroditic foot penis thing is now holdable in your very hands. Get the paperback version here: http://www.amazon.com/Charactered-Pieces-Caleb-J-Ross/dp/0615622135/

Michael Hodges's picture
Michael Hodges from Chicago is reading Oryx and Crake April 10, 2012 - 4:59am

Wow, lots of cool stuff happening in this thread. Congrats, everyone.

My nightmare-inspired short story "Slarky" is set to appear in the Evil Inside Anthology. More info:

I've been on a writing binge lately, but all novels. At the end of this week I'll have two unedited first drafts (one 110k, another 80k).

I just haven't had much time for shorts.

Oh, and you can also check out the new Sparks Fantasy Anthology, which has my Chicago-based shapeshifter story "Big, Blue Steel," and the new edition of Bards and Sages Quarterly, which contains my short "Street Lamps and Carbaryl".

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 10, 2012 - 4:58am

@ Caleb - good stuff bro. Love that little book.

Buy it people, you won't regret it.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 2:20pm

That is funny, I always just happen not to check this thread at the right time and miss Caleb's free book deadline. So damn bizzy. Remind me to keep a closer eye on this.

@Kitts: Roll bitch, roll.

@Martin: A Secret Anthology?

@Dakota: What is a field party?

So I finally have a little strumpeting to do: It looks like I will be joining Nikki Guerlain as part of the Phantasmagorium Weekly cast with my story Dreadlocks (Revised and expanded version).

I will be flapping my chops when it goes live like I just won Powerball.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 10, 2012 - 2:27pm

I got a story by Nik Korpon and one by Carlton Melnick for issue 2 of Surreal Grotesque.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 2:35pm

Nice Gonzalien!

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 10, 2012 - 2:56pm

@ Chester. Not so much secret really. Just waiting in the wings until me and Nath have a few more things on the schedule tied up. Groundwork is being lain.

@ Danny. That is awesome. Great stuff. Now about the sub I sent you? Ha.

aliensoul77's picture
aliensoul77 from a cold distant star is reading the writing on the wall. April 10, 2012 - 2:58pm

Oh, for sure, Martin. Issue 2.

wickedvoodoo's picture
wickedvoodoo from Mansfield, England is reading stuff. April 10, 2012 - 3:32pm

Awesome. Well in that case I have something to whore too.

My story The Deep Dark, from WAR round 2 is going to be in a sweet up-and-coming magazine. Alongside Nik Fucking Korpon and Carlton Fucking Mellick no less. I owe you a beer Danny, for sure.

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 3:59pm

@Martin: Well, if you come to Wordstock, then you can back that offer up.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 10, 2012 - 7:49pm

Congratz everyone.

@chestie how fucking awesome is that? Trent Zelazny will be our company!

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 8:01pm

I am pumped Nikkles!

Zelazny? Serious? That is awesome.

This thing sounds like it is going to be pretty cool.

Sounds like Edward has a lot of material to work with.

Nikki Guerlain's picture
Nikki Guerlain from Portlandia is reading Necronomicon Book Three April 10, 2012 - 8:05pm

Yeah Zelazny's cool. You already go to The Willamette Sorcerer's writing group?

Chester Pane's picture
Chester Pane from Portland, Oregon is reading The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz April 10, 2012 - 8:15pm

No, not yet. I didn't realize it was so dang close to my house. It is now on my to do list.

Have you gone before?

Fritz's picture
Fritz April 10, 2012 - 8:20pm

Hey peeps - new to the thread, just skimmed all the awesome stuff above.  Congrats to all.  Wanted to whore out one of my own little shorts so maybe more than 3 people will read it:

Check out infectiveink.com on 4/16/12 - look for a short story titled, 'Lost Dreams' - that'd be me (and no, not under Fritz Wolfe - different Name).

Kinda surprised the story got picked up.  Its rough as hell and about 8 years old to boot.  But, it fit the monthly prompt contest well so I sent it along and won that bastard.  Even got a little money in my pocket for the effort.

Keep at it one and all.