RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 5, 2015 - 7:43am

Well shit, this place is big.

Debating whether to rock and cry, or get lost in the TARDIS-iness of LitReactor's interior.

Oh hey, is that the swimming pool?

Help.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like September 5, 2015 - 11:36am

My advice: Start a discussion, then wait and see what happens.

Hope that helps.

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 5, 2015 - 12:34pm

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I just reviewed a submission for the first time, and I feel as if it isn't likely to be of much help to the writer. Maybe I am wrong about that, or maybe I am right about it but I will improve at it over time. In either event, here I am.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like September 5, 2015 - 5:10pm

Cool hair.

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 5, 2015 - 7:17pm

Eh, thanks, but that's just photo filters. It's actually grey and black. The swoosh is mine though, inherited from my father of Italian ancestry.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal September 5, 2015 - 9:28pm

Reviewing kind of compliments writing, I think. Doing each helps get better at the other.

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated September 6, 2015 - 4:23am

Welcome.

Just accept you won't look at everything and pick the parts that seem shiny. I've been coming here most days since the site started and there are tons of articles I've never even seen the title of, same for stories in the workshop.

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 6, 2015 - 4:42am

Thanks for the feedback and advice, folks. I'm also looking forward to signing up for a class in a few weeks.

jyh's picture
jyh from VA is reading whatever he feels like September 6, 2015 - 6:49am

It's a nice swoosh, even if it isn't blue & green.

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things September 6, 2015 - 11:12am

The nice thing about our submission feed is that we can generally divide it into two separate pieces.

About half of the articles are "news" and are best consumed day-of, if you want to stay up to date. Luckily, our news people are pretty good about keeping things bite-sized, so it's not to hard to keep current.

The other half of articles are "columns," which are generally longer, but also designed to be useful in the long run. For instance, I wrote (and may continue writing) a series of science articles for writers. Given the niche that I'm addressing, I never expect these articles to blow up and go viral; rather, people seem happy to bookmark them for later in case they ever need to reference them.

So if you're looking for a daily digest, we can do that. If you want resources that you can access later on in your writing career (such as Rob's excellent series on his journey in getting a book published), then that's also an option. Either way, we live to serve.

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing September 6, 2015 - 11:25am

Welcome.  I'm new here too and have to admit I'm just loving it.  I'm taking the scavenger course class right now and I can't believe that I'm talking to Chuck Palahniuk about conversations he's had with Brett Easton Ellis.  Or that I'm talking to Paul Tremblay about his book A Head Full of Ghosts.  This site is just what I needed and I'm so glad I found it.

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 6, 2015 - 11:47am

Nathan, thanks for the great advice. I'd not come across your science articles yet, but am pretty stoked to find out they exist and read them. Most of my professional career was spent as an analytical chemist in pharmaceutical manufacturing after I ran away from medical school, and most of my writing ideas end up tainted with some flavor of science, be it real or imagined. I'm quite pleased to find a corner of this place that I think I'll be able to curl up comfortably in.

Humboldt Humboldt (I know that's not your name, but with the wolf profile pic it's what my mind has named you) I have to say I am more than a little envious of you. It sounds terrifying and amazing, like contemplating the process of childbirth while you're pregnant with your first. Let me know if, like childbirth, going through it turns out to be even worse than you imagined it, but leaves you feeling elated and undeniably powerful.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break September 6, 2015 - 2:33pm

...and I can't believe that I'm talking to Chuck Palahniuk about conversations he's had with Brett Easton Ellis.

Bret talked about a dinner he had with Chuck on his podcast and I guess his opening question to Chuck was, "So, what's it like having a movie that was successful?"

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing September 6, 2015 - 4:51pm

@Rosie, Yeah, my name is Matthew (and yes, I am a werewolf) but I write on a variety of sites under the name Humboldt and everyone calls me that, so feel free to call me that as well!  (Check out http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Creepypasta_Wiki    I wrote the pasta of the month).  I will let you know how it goes, hopefully it isn't as painful as child birth (I have witnessed three of these and wouldn't want to go through it myself lol) but I do hope ot have something akin to a baby in the end.

@Brandon, ha ha, that's funny as hell.  But weren't Less Than Zero and American Psycho just as succesful as Fight Club?

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 6, 2015 - 5:32pm

Ah, I didn't realize a lycanthrope was a werewolf. I was making a Lolita reference. (Humboldt Humboldt.) I thought the wolf caricature was incidental to your name, but it fit with my idea of Humboldt from Lolita.

Good luck with your new baby.

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break September 6, 2015 - 5:46pm

@Humboldt: Yeah...I have no idea what he means. All three underperformed at the box. He might be referring to the culture Fight Club spawned.

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing September 6, 2015 - 5:54pm

@Rosie, dropping Nabakov references, well color me impressed!  I honestly never noticed the similarity of Humboldt (a county in California notorious for insanity) to Humbert.  Too cool. Humbert Humbert.  Humboldt Humboldt.  Ha.  I am a lecherous old man, too.

@Brandon, right.  Fight Club didn't become this big underground phenomenom until it was released on DVD.  Can you provide me with a link of that podcast, bro?

Brandon's picture
Brandon from KCMO is reading Made to Break September 6, 2015 - 7:05pm

Unfortunately, I can't remember which specific one it was. It's a good podcast though. Just start from the beginning and eventually you'll hit it.

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 7, 2015 - 12:49am

Ahhhahaha. Humbert. Fuck me running. I remembered the name wrong. Ah well, thanks for being gracious about correcting me once you understood what the hell I was going on about.
Making an ass of myself within 5 minutes of showing up someplace new...it's kind of my super power.

voodoo_em's picture
voodoo_em from England is reading All the books by Ira Levin September 7, 2015 - 2:40am

Hello, Rosie. Welcome to LitReactor :)

RosieToesAmarose's picture
RosieToesAmarose from Oneida, NY September 7, 2015 - 3:56am

Hey there voodoo_em. Thanks for the welcome. :)

Nekro21's picture
Nekro21 from United States September 13, 2015 - 4:06pm

Welcome to the community, I'm new as well. Hope you enjoy your time here =)