Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 1, 2015 - 4:24pm

What are you reading? How is it?

What other music, shows, movies, or various media are you into? How are they?

Why aren't you getting more done with it (in general, not this very second)?

Is that just an excuse?

Really?

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel April 1, 2015 - 4:47pm

How are you and yours doing (If you want/need to talk about your kids, family, day job, and daily grind use this question)? Just finished my honors thesis; We are on second proofs for our literary journal; I only have six weeks until I graduate from Towson with degrees in English and Philosophy.

Anything cool you have got/want to get with your tax refund if you get one? Which I guess is mostly Americans this time of year, but feel free to let us know if you have a tax story from your nation of origin/residence. I don't have a job so I don't file taxes. I feel like a bum.

What are you reading? How is it? A Handbook of Critical Approaches to Literature. It's freaking sweet!

What uncommon writing tools, websites, and what not are you using and how are they helping you? I'm not actually using any at the moment, but usually Scrivner. It helps sometimes, but I seem to gravitate back to just opening a simple word document.

What other music, shows, movies, or various media are you into? How are they? I like listenng to Yo Yo Ma's version of Bach's Solo Cello Suite. I also like Sinead O'Conor's version of Black Boys on Mopeds. It's such a sad powerful song. I'm watching Powers, Gangland Undercover, and Bones. I haven't been following any movies. No other media to speak of.

What are you writing, writing related activities, and/or editing? How is that going? Like I said, I finished my honors thesis. It's currently 74 pages. I'm managing editor of Towson University's Literary Journal, that's 165 pages to edit. I'm Main Editor for the English Dept's Academic English Journal. I'm Main Editor for the Philosophy Dept's Academic Philosophy Journal. Overall, things are well, but I'm so tired.

Why aren't you getting more done with it (in general, not this very second)? Because now I have to start looking for a job.

Is that just an excuse? It is an excuse, but as excuses go, it's a good one.

Really? Yes.

Anything you know and want to share with us? Just this one month, for a change of pace, make it neither disgusting nor downbeat. I hate fundamental religious people who want other people to abide by their fucking book(s).

Feel free to ask me a reasonable question(s), I just won't answer my own if you repeat them back or re-word them. What is the saddest thing you've read?

Jose F. Diaz's picture
Jose F. Diaz from Boston is reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel April 1, 2015 - 4:48pm

And thank you, Dwayne, for keeping this thread an active part of LitReactor.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 1, 2015 - 9:22pm

Everything is boring.

The very word "tax" makes me angry...

What are you reading? How is it?

Not For Nothing by Stephen Graham. It's okay, little hard to follow sometimes.

Well, I guess you could say MS Notebook is uncommon, and where I store all my stuff. Other than that nothing.

What other music, shows, movies, or various media are you into? How are they?

I kind of got back into Dexter on Netflix. It's watchable, sometimes, but the effects, the story lines, the pipe-laying and acting sometimes... you kind of have to laugh. If I never watched another one it wouldn't be a loss.

Same ol', trying to go from a free-written loosely connected story to a tighter, better paced piece of work with maybe some decent prose.

And it's hard!

Why aren't you getting more done with it (in general, not this very second)?

Because I keep doing this thing where I sit down and don't know what to do with it. But I am making some progress.

Is that just an excuse?

Shaddup.

Really?

. . .

That's a difficult change of pace... It is believed (and backed up with evidence) that four mass extinctions occured before the dinosaurs were wiped out, the greatest of which eliminated 97% of life on the planet. Everything from there on out, including us, descended from that remaining 3%

Who do you think is the hottest (or top 5, or whatever) famous (to the point of being google-able) woman in the world?

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal April 1, 2015 - 9:24pm

And thank you, Dwayne, for keeping this thread an active part of LitReactor.

What he said.

Tucson's picture
Tucson from Belgium is reading Late Essays - J.M. Coetzee April 1, 2015 - 11:00pm

I'm doing quite well. I'd like to move, find a cute girlfriend and have an interesting job, but for now I'll stick to what I have.

I should've gotten my tax refund last month, but it didn't come. It's quite a big chunk of dough, but I'll probably just put it on a savings account.

What are you reading? How is it?

I'm still reading The Wood by Dutch author Jeroen Brouwers. It's about a monestary / school where the priests are abusing children and one priest sees this, but does nothing about it.

Brouwers is supposed to be the literary god of the Netherlands (and normally I do like him), but this book is doing nothing for me. I don't like the language, the structure, the topic, themes, ...

I've got this art catalogue (or how do you call does books that collect artworks from a painter) from Belgian painter Michaël Borremans. I think he's unsurpassed as a modern painter and his paintings, subjects always give me inspiration to write.
See an example here: http://s6.img.humo.be/q100/w560/h/img_103/1039576.jpg

What other music, shows, movies, or various media are you into? How are they?

I'm rather confined what music, shows, movies are concerned. I tend to listen/watch what I know. So last January I've started with my 11th watching of the entire Seinfeld series.  It learned me how to live.
Due to certain circumstances I've watched many movies in the cinema. But the one that stuck most is The Grand Budapest Hotel, probably the best movie I've seen in the last 8 years.

I'm working on a short story for my writing class. I pitched an idea yesterday, but the teacher thought it wouldn't fit in a single short story (it is quite complex) and certainly not as an exercise. So now I'm pondering on a new idea and working out its structure/plot. It's the hardest part.

Why aren't you getting more done with it (in general, not this very second)?

I'm constantly struggling with my own shortcomings. In my mind I should achieve greatness, but I don't want to take the little steps. It's like juming to the top of a mountain where it is much easier to walk to the top, yet logically I know what the right steps are, but my actions are different.

Is that just an excuse?

Blaming it on my autism, ADHD or idolatry of suicide would.

Really?

No, of course not.

Tucson's picture
Tucson from Belgium is reading Late Essays - J.M. Coetzee April 1, 2015 - 11:18pm

What makes you write? What started your writing carreer?

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated April 2, 2015 - 3:33am

Upbeat isn't your strong point, but you are all very welcome.

@Jose -

What is the saddest thing you've read?

My grandmother's funeral notice.

Sometimes wanting other people to abide by their books works out.

Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

@Thuggish -

I just don't think that way. Being cool and laid back and funny when we hang out and wanting to be around me is sexy. Liking my dog is sexy. Famous and sexy? I'd have to meet them, and I don't meet very many famous women.

@Tucson -

What makes you write?

I have no idea. The idea of not writing seems weird.

What started your writing carreer?

I'm not sure I'd call it more than a hobby, but I was in a bookstore. I walked through the romance section just because of how it was laid out. I thought I'd try to find something decent. Maybe not my favorite, but at least one of the several thousand books I thought was well written. Couldn't do it. Asked for help from a lady who worked there. She pretty much told she hadn't ever been able to do it. I figured I couldn't do worse. I wrote a 5 book romantic tragedy. Trust me, it is terrible. That is why I never published it. and I've just went from there.