NeilRo1's picture
NeilRo1 from Wales is reading The First Fifty Pages Jeff Gerke May 30, 2015 - 3:17am

Anyone know how we can get a live chat going on this thing?

Dwayne's picture
Dwayne from Cincinnati, Ohio (suburbs) is reading books that rotate to often to keep this updated May 30, 2015 - 11:25am

On this site? I don't think you can.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami May 30, 2015 - 3:20pm

For clarities sake, do you mean a podcast? Or just a chatroom?

NeilRo1's picture
NeilRo1 from Wales is reading The First Fifty Pages Jeff Gerke May 31, 2015 - 12:01am

I was thinking a live chatroom would be cool...

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things May 31, 2015 - 5:29am

It might be, but it would take some work to create, and a lot more to manage. What would be the advantage over forums?

That's not me shutting you down. It's a serious question. I can pass the idea up, but I need something to sell it.

Thuggish's picture
Thuggish from Vegas is reading Day of the Jackal May 31, 2015 - 12:32pm

This forum doesn't have enough traffic to make it worthwhile I don't think.

NeilRo1's picture
NeilRo1 from Wales is reading The First Fifty Pages Jeff Gerke May 31, 2015 - 7:27pm

Hi Nathan, Thuggish--appreciate the replies.

I'm not a teccy so I wouldn't know what it takes to set up a chatroom, sorry--my bad--I was just thinking it might be cool to have a place where we can shoot the breeze in real time. We're a pretty much focused group and so far, everyone I've met here has been quite happy to help each other out. So wouldn't it be good if I was in the middle of writing something and got stuck I could pop into chat and say, hey guys, any thoughts on 'this or that issue'...dunno' if that sounds selfish--it's not meant to be. Yes, we'd need moderators but we could do that on a volunteer basis.

And, Thuggish--maybe it's a case of 'build it and they will come'..? apologies for the cliche'.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to rock the boat or fix something that isn't broken--it's just an idea.

Regards

N

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami May 31, 2015 - 11:39pm

I wonder if it be a good way to find matching crit partners in real time? Plus I find one on one chats slightly less ... introvert issue inducing.

Dave's picture
Dave from a city near you is reading constantly June 7, 2015 - 10:21am

We've been talking about this since forever. Back in the day there was a small group of us who used IRC.  I guess that might still work?

Nathan Scalia's picture
Nathan Scalia from Kansas is reading so many things June 7, 2015 - 12:09pm

If you guys figure out a day and venue for July, I'll post it in the next spotlight column.

Flycatcher's picture
Flycatcher from Singapore is reading Vintage book of contemporary American short stories, American Psycho September 27, 2015 - 10:09am

Hey if you guys want to talk over the internet I own a teamspeak server you guys can use. You can also just log in and mute yourselves and chat. Just a suggestion!

Humboldt Lycanthrope's picture
Humboldt Lycanthrope from California is reading Sing, Unburied, Sing September 28, 2015 - 4:00pm

Skype is a great way to live chat. I have a lot of writer friends who all use it to shoot each other messages and talk.  I've also interviewed authors over it. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about video or phone, just messaging.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami September 29, 2015 - 3:22pm

I'd be cook with skype or google+. My preference would be google+.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find September 29, 2015 - 10:38pm

As someone who is always up at odd hours, it would be great to have a chat room. I really like that this site doesn't have IM. If we had that we would never get any work done. I don't want to skype one of my friends if it's the middle of the night. But it's nice when you are up working late, or if you wake up at 1 am like me and you want to get work done- to have real breathing people, real time, to talk to. Or vice versa. This is global- I imagine we are all up at different times. But people working together accomplish more than one person working alone. I think a chat room would open a lot of possibilities. This site is already breaking so much new ground. It seems like the natural progression of things.

However, as a side note of caution- People are people, no matter how smart we may be; there are bound to be personality conflicts. IDK if it's possible, but damage control. Someone would have to supervise this. If things get too heated in a discussion, it should be terminated. A bunch of people fighting- even if they do have wicked burns- kind of defeats the purpose. Nothing will be accomplished that way, just like when we were little and bickered with our siblings, or schoolmates. Even with this risk, and probable greater cost, I believe this would still be worth it.

L.W. Flouisa's picture
L.W. Flouisa from Tennessee is reading More Murakami September 30, 2015 - 8:07am

That would be good just to keep drama lamas away. I specifically removed myself from Facebook groups (for those who still use that) and clicked the button not to come back, just because I just don't have the energy these days for ... people starting conflicts. Especially with wanting to write another novel, get back into gamedev, and considering web comics again.

This one had a lot of ... Tumblresque asshatery. You might know what I mean if you even tried engaging in the Tumblr world, but gave up.

Flycatcher's picture
Flycatcher from Singapore is reading Vintage book of contemporary American short stories, American Psycho September 30, 2015 - 10:43am

That's why I thought maybe you guys may want to try teamspeak, since anyone can join at anytime, and leave at anytime. With my own teamspeak I don't tolerate any sort of fighting/persona insults.

dollface993's picture
dollface993 from Detroit is reading As many craft essays as I can find October 1, 2015 - 12:44am

I would be willing to check that out.